Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I love the Donkey Kong Country games (yes, even certain levels in 3), and even 64 (even if I couldn't get that last drat banana from Lanky's race) but I haven't played the two latest ones. It looks like this one at least keeps the charm intact. They're so colorful and pretty, and DKC 2 still is listed as one of my all time favorite games (even if I'm not a big fan of Dixie). They're so full of life and have nice little touches. You can tell a lot of love goes into them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I liked the first two Country games (although I do agree the last world in the original is complete bullshit). I feel the same way about 3 as you do about the original. There's a glimmer of a good game in it. It has a few good points, but on the whole it falls flat. They tried to change it up a bit and that's great, but they changed too much and it didn't feel the same. Far too many gimmick levels, too. After a while it started to feel more like a puzzle game.

And also no Rambi. That was unforgivable.

I liked Kiddy Kong though. What's cuter than a monkey in a onesie?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Y-Hat posted:

The original DKC is a good game, but it's not the revolution in gaming that it was when it came out, especially in terms of graphics. I remember the VHS that I got from Nintendo Power that bragged about how awesome the Advanced Computer Modeling graphics were. I guess they were OK at the time, but sprites have aged far better than ACM models over the past 20 years. DKC2 took a good game and made it into a masterpiece.

My problem with DKC3 isn't all of the gimmick levels, it's the fact that by the end of the game, they used gimmicks as a way to make the game way too difficult. They pull some of them off well, like the tree level where you have to outrun a hacksaw and the factory level where you keep getting shot at. But levels like Rocket Rush and Lightning Look-Out can go to hell.

Oh, and my view on Donkey Kong as a war criminal: he never strikes the first blow. All he wants to do is laze around and eat bananas all day. Is that too much to ask? If you gently caress around with the jungle, the jungle will gently caress around with you ten times worse. He isn't committing war crimes, he's carrying out the laws of nature.

I actually enjoyed Lightning Look-Out. But a vast majority of the gimmick levels were too much. After a certain point it's like why did you even bother learning how to move and attack if you're never gonna use them?

And I thought K. Rool's ship was already there at the beginning of 2? It's just how they entered the island.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Looper posted:

Spider buddy is the best buddy, forever and always

You made a mistake. Rambi is a rhino, not a spider.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I hate things like that. I still can't see it

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Thanks. I thought it was a tangle of vines

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I've always loved the alliterative, pun, and rhyming level names, it shows a level of polish that a lot of games don't show, past or present. My favorite is Skidda Row.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I actually preferred Diddy to Donkey or Dixie. He moves better than either of them. I only switch to Donkey when I run across something only he can kill and Dixie when Diddy's "flip into the pit and jump out" thing isn't quite enough (and it usually is). He's kinda nerfed in 64 though. But I like to play as Chunky and hate Lanky so....

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The bramble levels are my absolute favorites in DKC2. My favorite music, gorgeous sets, and they're all challenging enough that you can't blow through them. Unless you're a TAS-er and therefore clinically insane. Or it's the one where you kinda have to blow through but is great for that exact reason. They have some of the best secrets too.

Seriously, DKC2 did so many things right. That cannot be stressed enough.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 10, 2015

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Has anyone tried that to solve world hunger?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I forgot to mention this last night, but I think the biggest problem with the bonus levels in DKC is the fact that almost all of Cranky's hints for finding them were either dummied out or bugged to just not show up. I can't remember which one it is.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Why is that even a theory?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I think there was a level replacing Loopy Lights in the Gameboy version, for obvious reasons. And the GBA version of Necky's second fight had one on each side of the screen.

I think. I played it when my entire dorm at boarding school was down with the stomach flu so a lot of that is a little hazy.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I really don't know much about the Land games other than how incredibly meta the plots are. The series has never taken itself seriously, and doesn't try to make you believe it's anything but a videogame. That's part of the charm. But from what I hear the plots are basically Cranky challenging the Kongs to beat the same game on a less powerful system, and this is the only series where something that absurd could actually work.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Looper posted:

Chimp Caverns is hella lame because it's a boring clump of the game's most boring level archetypes but hey that rad pirate ship keeps getting closer surely it'll have some really great levels!

It totally does. Topsail Trouble and Gangplank Galley are two of my favorites.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
DKC has it's issues but I prefer it over 3. There's just so many bad levels. The one where you have to keep the fish fed comes to mind. And the one with the burning rope. What games are you gonna be doing? I assume you're leaving out DK 64 because there's just so drat much in it.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I miss the Kremlings. They had character and a lot of these enemies feel really generic.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
This isn't just the best game in the series, it's one of the best SNES games period. I remember playing it as a kid but due to [insert RabbiRaccoon's life story here] I never finished it but I loved every minute. About 7 years ago I started again and it was every bit as fantastic as I'd remembered it and I still play through it about once a year. It's gorgeous, has great music, and it's fun as hell. It's a great game to just mess around in. With precise moving you can ignore some important things in certain levels. Hell, there's part of a level later on where you're supposed to use Squwaks but you can use Squitter instead. Which is as challenging as it sounds if you know the level I'm talking about.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 30, 2015

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It seems like a big step back that after 4 games where it's required to swim, all of a sudden the Kongs gained concrete galoshes.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Plus by virtue of being an N64 game, it's glitchy as hell by default.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I'd think a pineapple being hurled or shot at your would hurt like a bitch no matter what.

Bramble Scramble is my favorite level in DKC 2, It was kinda weird seeing it as something else.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I've messed around DKC 2, playing aroudn with ideas as they come to me. It's a great game to do it in, and I hope you don't mind if I share some discoveries I've made. If you do I'll stop after this post.

A small but neat thing about Squawks is that when he's carrying the Kongs he's much less maneuverable and drops like a stone. When you control just him, he flies much better.

Also, you're slightly wrong about bonus levels in Animal Buddy levels. There's a level later on where you have to use Squitter the entire time, and a little bit before the "No Squitter" sign there's a bonus level that you're supposed to go to before passing the sign. If you go back after losing Squitter and enter the bonus room, he'll be waiting for you to jump on. So if you do somehow manage to get yourself into a bonus level without one, you're not completely screwed.

And the only Spider-Man game I ever played was Arcade's Revenge and gently caress that game.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It's good that Kazooie is still finding work.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Donkey's arm hair always looked more like a sleeve than actual arm hair in that picture. At least to me.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
That song you guys were talking about sounded like the song in Treetop Town.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
All I know is Chunky is the best Kong and they need to bring him back.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I'm one of the few who actually liked Parrot Chute Panic. I think it's simplicity makes for an interesting gimmick. But Web Woods is far too long. Squitter is far to slow of a mover to dedicate an entire level to.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It's only an issue in a couple of his levels, but in a game where you're constantly moving forward and stops are relatively brief, Web Woods in particular feels like everything is screeching to a halt.

But hey I also like Squawks so who cares what I think? :v:

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 3, 2016

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The rising floor will kill the Zingers in the bonus stage, but it won't count towards the amount you need to get the Kremcoin.

EDIT: ^That's really interesting FPzero. I saw a couple weeks back you tried you did the Squawks section of Animal Antics with Squitter as well. Are you thinking of making a hack?

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 4, 2016

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Ometeotl posted:

Good, now it's almost time for me to vehemently defend DKC3 at every turn.

You're in for an uphill battle my friend. I've found that very few people have good things to say about it.

Hey Artix, which version are you gonna play? SNES or the GBA one with the extra world?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I tried the Squitter thing too a few months back (although I just carefully made platforms above the barrel and below the thorns). Save States are pretty much required.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I forgot about the Koins.

They're not a bad idea, but I prefer the DK coins actually being hidden rather than being behind mini puzzles (and I use the term "puzzle" very loosely). Like in Castle Crush where you have to become Rambi, then turn into Squawks and race the floor to get to the DK coin. Or Krockhead Klamber where you have to go to the left at the beginning of the level. They made the coins much easier to hide and much more rewarding for finding. They just needed a good idea for a hiding spot. Here, they need a solid floor, a solid wall, and a barrel, which greatly limits where they can go.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Dixie can actually slide right under the Ellly barrel and completely ignore the gimmick.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
That is an incredibly underwhelming reward for the K levels.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
DKC3 has a lot more Animal Buddy involvement than the previous games. I'd say at least half the levels give you at least the option to use them, and this time around the barrels outnumber the crates.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
There's another waterfall level later on that is total and complete bullshit. These are tame.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Someone in this thread said this game, as far as music and sets go, feels like another game that someone hacked to put Dixie and Kiddy in. That really sums it up.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Ripsaw Rage is one of my least favorite levels, but it's also the only Collect 15 Banana's bonus I like. It's a little unconventional but quickly manageable and shows that the creative team did indeed have some good ideas. And those pipeline backgrounds are one of my favorites.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 9, 2016

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
This next world is probably my least favorite, on the whole. And K3 has the most bullshit secret in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
That world is definitely my least favorite overall. I like Pothole Panic and the requisite dark level, but the rest is utter garbage.

The next world is my favorite. The gimmicks are actually fun and implemented well. It's like they finally found their footing.

• Locked thread