Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Metaconcert posted:

Dear Australia: how?

Way too many news stories I see featuring Australia feature astounding institutional incompetence. Is it your national sport? Is it malice? Is it amazing regulatory capture?

Institutional low-hanging fruit greed. With the backup excuse of "we followed the best practice of the time" 20 years later when they've destroyed enough evidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

They're really searching for Nintendo weenies to stop them beating Undertale, the guns are just a cover.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

This is exactly what it is, because the US ramped up shale oil production, and kept the price low, in order to blow up the oil export-dependent Russian economy, in response to the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Wouldn't the Russia-China oil pipeline offset this? And once the gas pipeline is up, I don't think Russia will be too worried.

edit: snickers and double dipped cherryripes ftw.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

we're doing a documentary about indigenous recognition starring a white guy

A convicted racist white guy.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Wheezle posted:

I wonder what she thinks is supposed to have happened to exonerate her.

She didn't actually serve jail time. She'll get voted back in anyway and die on the job.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Re the dole:

I suspect it's putting some downward pressure on supermarket prices, because if people on the dole can't buy things, that's a lot of stock not getting sold. Coles goes absolutely mad with particular items that makes no sense unless they're actually desperate to shift them, and Woolies at last have begun to follow them. It helps that locally there is some competition still from Aldi and actual small business grocers, butchers and bakers.

Capsicums are still ridiculously expensive however, they're dearer than bananas. But it's difficult to stir-fry bananas.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Points for penguin, points off for lack of kitties.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Every time you ration a kitty, an internet dies :qq:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Islam, it's the vibe :v:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

open24hours posted:

Isn't a big part of terrorism the threat of more terrorism? Which is why it's effective, and why you need to be part of a wider political movement to be a terrorist. If you're just some random guy who's not part of a wider movement, like Brevik, then no matter how horrific your actions once it's over it's over people can start to get on with their lives. If you're in ISIS or Al Qaeda or the IRA or FARC or whatever and you blow something up people keep worrying about when it'll happen next.

That is the definition of terrorism that I grew up with. The ideology wasn't the core, it was built around the injustice of occupation or some other injustice, and the goals of terrorist acts were to free dissidents and return homelands. Then suicide-bombing became popular, but they weren't called terrorism that I recall until 9/11 gave the excuse to do so, mainly because suicide-bombers were specifically people who had no other form of protest than to blow themselves up on enemy property, they were just "bombings", and that's what bombings were called unless a terrorist organization claimed responsibility.

Now "terrorism" is being manipulated to provide "oh dear" moments without the repercussions of the obvious security failures that incidents like Martin Place are. Monis was a security failure not a terrorist. A classic case of security theatre covering up a reluctance to do their job and get easy credit. It's also particularly stupid from a security standpoint because once everything is "terrorism", you run out of sane responses and your failures are even more obvious.

If you can't call Brevik a terrorist then case closed on Monis.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

MonoAus posted:

I think I poorly phrased my post.

I understand why the definition of 'terrorism' is important in a global/political sense but I don't understand why it is important to the discussion people were having in this thread.

One side is saying Monis is a terrorist because 'my definition of a terrorist is X, Y, Z' while the other side is saying he wasn't because 'my definition of a terrorist is X, Y, Q'.

Terrorism is political. Being labelled a terrorist has consequences for anyone also matching whatever description we give terrorism. In Australia, that is apparently because one is brown or Muslim or "not from here". That is why it is relevant to discuss the brain-dead definitions being bandied about in the media and whether that matches our understanding.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

if you FEED a terrist or you FUND a terrist YER A TERRIST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXBeE3gaAug

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Birb Katter posted:

Looks like Abetz isn't happy with the QANDA review

That's a date, Eric, because I'm going to laugh and laugh and laugh at your pathetic mewling about a show you're too gutless to front and enjoy the spectacle of how we spend the little we get from corporate tax on a waste of space only allowed to make a scene about the ABC because he can't be trusted with anything serious.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

This is it, Tony Abbott has gone full post-modern and is scrambling the text.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

freebooter posted:

What is it with rightwingers chucking tantrums about opposing viewpoints?

Like, I doubt anybody here is a fan of the Bolt Report, but do we wage consistent campaigns to try to get it off air? If I were to say it should be pulled from air it's because Bolt is populist, not because he's conservative.

It fits their narrative that there's a lefty conspiracy and they're being victimised, when in fact they're simply intolerant of other viewpoints and assume there's an agenda behind it. It's projection onto others of how they operate themselves, which they cannot recognise or their brains would explode from the bullshit. I'm no sociologist but it seems like a group version of the tension in an idealist who needs to tame the inner conflict by destroying outside "enemies".

Cf. Bill Leak above, what a victim eh, just a poor misunderstood racist cartoonist.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 18, 2015

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Spotted in Bendigo Ishka, hollow Abbott books (excuse the phonecam):

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

From a friends fb:

quote:

Was having a post-work beer at Bar Open with Jamal, an African Muslim, and his friends, one from Sudan, the other from Egypt, when Tyson and Greg decided to sit with us. Yep, sleeve tatts and poo poo attitudes. Jamal and his mates were speaking in Arabic. Tyson and Greg were not impressed. Tyson sized me up, said, "What's your nasho, mate?" I said, "Uh... I'm Australian." Tyson and Greg had a little whisper which went along the lines of, "What are you gonna do here?" Tyson said, "Just watch." Tyson then asked all the others where they were from. They all stated their places of birth. Tyson then said, "Sorry, but listening to you, I thought you were all plotting to kill us." Nervous laughter. Then he asked how fast all the Africans at the table can run, "cos, you know, you're all good runners, so how fast can you do 6km?" Jamal extended his hand, made friends with them, told them that not all Africans are runners, or even athletes. It went on; this "explain your place in Australia to me" rubbish. Jamal has lived here for 22 years. The other guys 10 and 12 years. They dealt with this as though they hear it every day. And they probably do. It all ended with weird hugs and handshakes. After Tyson and Greg left, amidst sighs of relief, Jamal said, "I got them with love."

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Graic Gabtar posted:

I'll be honest with auspol for one of the first times ever.

I'm actually a manic depressive/bipolar.

I take more pills per day than most people can fit in their hand.

I used to do lots of cannabis in the day and I I nearly loving lost my mind. So I worry loving heaps that my kids don't wont to be "uncool".

Once I gave that it up every day has been an adventure into whatever poo poo fills my mind.

There's some 1am smashed drunk truth talk for you.

Thanks for the honesty: the trouble with cannabis is that it affects people in wildly different ways especially if they've got existing mental issues. I don't believe it causes those issues, but it certainly isn't helpful. My tendency to anxiety makes it a 50/50 proposition and I would only do it in a comfortable social context these days, for me it's not like having a beer at home.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Malcolm: "Peter, do you like being Immigration Minister?"

Peter: "Uhhh what...?"

Malcolm: "Peter, do you like being Immigration Minister?"

Peter: "Ohhh....well I guess it's only one brown person..."

Malcolm: "Seeeee that wasn't hard, and people won't hate you for Christmas!"

Peter: "But I want them to hate and fear me! and obey my commands! And--"

Malcolm: "Remember that conversation we had about what happens when people hate the Minister and the focus groups start complaining?"

Peter: "Bad things about the Minister start being leaked and the Party is very sorry they have to replace him...yeah ok..."

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Pred1ct posted:

I approve of Mick Malloy

Tony Martin told the story on Get This and imitated Mick, and the question was "why are you such a loving oval office?", and he was going to do nothing on the whole segment but ask that question, regardless of an answer. Needless to say, it was never mentioned again, and the word probably went out. Many Get This fans think it was no coincidence that that show was canned on the eve of Howard's last election campaign.

The rant that quote came from is quite a good read, and makes a good point.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Ahahaha merry xmas to you too. *random Islam promotion with a side of climate change and inane mollifying slogans*

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

TURC sarcasm view with facts. We gotta get the kids to watch Yes Minister, it's a classic case.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Graic Gabtar posted:

Time for a new thread? A new year and all that poo poo? You all still drunk?

Check the age of entitlement, get off your arse and do it yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Graic Gabtar posted:

There's usually a queue of people lining up.

I am decidedly unfunny and can't write for poo poo but I might knock out something later tonight.

The queue is usually people asking who's going to do it, and three doing it at once without any communication. At least this way, we can be sure we know who.

Also, as long as it's sarcastic and despairing, funny is optional.

• Locked thread