Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mal Brough offers a qualified apology to Parliament for "unwittingly" adding to confusion regarding his recollection of the Peter Slipper diaries affair.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-02/brough-says-sorry-over-slipper-interview-confusion/6993982

guess that's the issue settled then

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Future Parties website looks like a Windows phone or something.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Far-right group sells ‘Sydney is fun: Cronulla is a riot’ T-shirts before 10th anniversary rally

A far-right group is planning a rally to mark the 10-year anniversary of the Cronulla riots despite heavy resistance from the local council, and is selling T-shirts bearing the slogan “Sydney is fun: Cronulla is a riot”.

The Party for Freedom, led by Nick Folkes, has for months been planning a “memorial rally” at Cronulla on 12 December to mark 10 years since the race riots that enveloped the region and sparked a wave of violence across Sydney.

But it is facing a number of hurdles after two applications to New South Wales police for permits to hold the event were refused. The Sutherland shire mayor, Carmelo Pesce, told Guardian Australia the council was also considering applying to the supreme court for an injunction to stop the group if it failed to get approval.

The group also has yet to apply for a permit from the council to hold the event. The proposed has sparked concerns that it could inflame racial tensions.

The group is now touting an all-star cast of Australia’s far right, with four speakers listed on a flyer it has been distributing to local residents’ letter boxes.

Sergio Redegalli, who made the Ban the Burka mural in the suburb of Newtown, is listed as a speaker. Redegalli has also made glass plates for the event in the shape of Spartan shields overlaid with southern crosses.

“Limited edition” T-shirts designed by Redegalli with the slogan “Sydney is fun: Cronulla is a riot” can also be purchased from the Party for Freedom website for $49.95, available only in sizes large and above.

Shermon Burgess, who until recently was the head of the far-right group United Patriots Front before resigning over a video that emerged online mocking him, is also scheduled to speak. Kim Vuga, who was one of the participants in SBS’s show Go Back to Where you Came From and has now started her own political party, is also slated to attend.

Pesce said the group had applied to the police for permits first to hold the event at Wanda beach, and then at Cronulla Mall. Both were refused. A third permit at Don Lucas reserve is believed to be pending, but Pesce said he thought it had also been refused.

“The third one we haven’t been given approval because council don’t want to come to the party,” Folkes told Guardian Australia. “Like a hot potato, it’s like nobody wants to touch it. It’s hard to get answers from the council and the police.”

“Our intention is not to go down there and cause violence. We’ve got a good record dealing with police. We see it as an important time to mark the anniversary to stand up against all Muslim intimidation.”

Folkes said the shirts were just a “bit of Aussie larrikinism” to draw attention to the group’s purpose of marking the anniversary.

The group has still not applied separately to the council for the necessary permit to hold the event. Instead, the Party for Freedom has sought access to toilets.

“They’ve been told they need to put in a permit but they haven’t as yet,” Pesce said. “I’ve come back to my staff and told them they can’t apply for a permit for toilets before they apply for a permit to hold the event.”

“That applies for everyone. We’re not targeting that particular group. That’s just the thing they need to do.

At this point in time they don’t have permission to use those particular areas. If they still come down we will need to take some sort of action.”

“I’m still looking at legal action from the supreme court to stop them coming anyway.”

The Party for Freedom posted on its website: “Today we face a battle against a corrupt political oligarchy that wants to restrict freedom of speech, and deny patriotic Australians the right to mark the 10nth Cronulla Riots anniversary in Cronulla. Regardless of the opposition from the political establishment, we will be gathering in Cronulla on 12 December 2015 to celebrate the 10-year anniversary.”

“The Sutherland shire council has contacted its legal team seeking an injunction against Party for Freedom in the hope of restricting freedom of speech. We will be going to court to fight the injunction in December.”

http://www.theguardian.com/australi...niversary-rally

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Lest you think it is for any kind of solemn introspection:

"Regardless of the opposition from the political establishment, we will be gathering in Cronulla on 12 December 2015 to celebrate the 10-year anniversary.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Les Affaires posted:

yeah okay who's this

Macfarlane's mum

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Border Force: Tough on Illegals, Tough on Nuns

Department of Immigration ends 'inappropriate' outings for children in detention run by nuns

A program run by a group of Catholic nuns that took children in immigration detention on outings has been deemed "not appropriate" by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.

The Brigidine Asylum Seekers Project (BASP), run by the Brigidine Sisters, took groups of children from the Melbourne Immigration Transit Accommodation (MITA) in Broadmeadows out into the community for supervised day trips.

Sister Brigid Arthur said the program had run for four years until it was stopped by Australian Border Force (ABF) "about six months ago".

"[We'd] go to the Collingwood Children's Farm, go to the zoo occasionally, out to adventure playgrounds," Sister Brigid told 774 ABC Melbourne's Jon Faine.

"Anything that actually can entertain the kids and give them some stimulation."

The program also included occasional day trips for adults in immigration detention.

Sister Brigid said the program had been suspended by the ABF, which said it was "under review".

"We haven't actually been able to resume it, so presumably the review has ... had a negative outcome," Sister Brigid said.

ABF Regional Commander Don Smith told 774 ABC Melbourne's Rafael Epstein that he stopped the program because he was not comfortable with supervision levels.

"There were reports about some activities that were being undertaken by the nuns and the other members of the program where the levels of supervision for those activities weren't to the standard that I was comfortable with," he said.

He said the nuns would be welcome to join Serco officers on existing excursions organised for detainees.

"We welcome the nuns to participate in the excursions that we already have, we see that there is a degree of duplication in the activities, there was also a concern that we had insufficient oversight of what the activities that were being planned," he said.

"It's not the nuns ... the nuns were part of a program called the Designated Persons Program, so it wasn't just those nuns there were other members of the community who were interested in the welfare of people at the MITA, which of course I welcome.

"But the types of activities and the places they were taking them to, we had no visibility of and no control over."

In a statement, a spokesperson for the Immigration Department confirmed the program had been reviewed and, on a number of occasions, the outings were "not deemed appropriate and there was limited supervision of the activities".

"The welfare of all detainees, including children, is of paramount importance to the department," the statement added.

"While this specific program has ceased, Serco will continue to offer excursions and activities in a safe and controlled manner.

"The department continues to work with organisations formerly involved in delivering this program."

Sister Brigid said there were never any incidents or escape attempts on the outings.

"The outings were amazingly free from any incident. The people were so pleased to be out and about," she said.

"Most of the kids don't want to go with the officers, who are seen to be 'security' people."

Victorian senator John Madigan said his office had placed a call to Mr Dutton's office "to seek clarification" on the status of the Brigidine Sisters' project.

"I'm totally bewildered ... as to what the hell is happening here," Senator Madigan said.

He said he could not understand what problem could be with taking children out of the detention centre for excursions to places like the Collingwood Children's Farm.

"Some would say it's a form of torture to have them cooped up," the senator said.

Sister Brigid said the rules at the detention centre were becoming "more draconian ... under the guise of security".

She described the conditions for detainees at MITA as "worse than a prison".

"They don't know when they're going to get out, what they're going to get out to - it's just an awful, awful situation," she said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-02/nuns-day-trips-for-children-in-detention-halted-by-border-force/6993808

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Skinhids

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nickopops posted:

Wearing a wu-tang shirt no less.

I remember hearing an interview about contemporary aus-hiphop talking about how white supremacists kept trying to re-appropriate their music/message.
To the point that some of the original indigenous hiphop bands (from before aus-hiphop was a thing) were getting booed out of their own concerts for trying to muscle in on the white domain..

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
In all fairness faaaffrrtttftftftttfpfpfpfp

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z2qdI0LlN0

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFgF2uaaDlE

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jumpingmanjim posted:

:nws: :nms: Do not click if you don't want to see a severed pig's head in a toilet.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10153480811204355&id=303648619354

One of the funniest things about dipshit racists is that they think pigs are some kind of magical anti-muslim talisman.
Like those pork fat coated bullets in the U.S, they sincerely believe that even touching a pig will send a Muslim straight to hell.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Lay yourself laterally upon the tracks before the Albomania train

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
ruh roh

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bifauxnen posted:

To change the subject, what is up with this sudden rush of nutbars posting tons of empty geo-engineering rhetoric over every climate change thing I see on Facebook lately?

What kind of stuff?

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

TheIllestVillain posted:

picnic is better since it has wafer

Wafer has zero flavour and is a pointless waste of space that could be used instead to house more nuts.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Evil and dumb gives us Iraq

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I hate myself and I want to die.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

gay picnic defence posted:

Which goon was that again? poo poo like that doesn't seem to happen here anymore which is kinda sad.

Micromancer from memory.
Such a magical time.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Birb Katter posted:

"This is sharia law..." Nicholas Folkes in response to the banning of the Cronulla Riot memorial.

sharia law
sha·ria often capitalized \shə-ˈrē-ə\
noun
1. thing I don't like

checks out

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hahaha how have I never seen this one before.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mr Chips posted:

not sure if this is more appropriate for the Aus Universities thread or the IR slant makes it worth talking about here, but the VC @ Uni of WA has just come out and said the 200 professional and 100 academic staff will go next year.

There's an Aus Universities thread?
Also, there is no room in Auspol for such racism, please keep it to yourself.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Can you bet on Trump being the herald of the apocalypse?

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Cross posting from USPol because

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What a loving coward

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Trump will never be president, but his involvement in this election cycle will gently caress up political discourse in the US for years/decades to come.

Moreso than it is hosed up already.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
~The Silent Majority~

also theyre invisible

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Oi mate I'm not racist because
*retrieves tiny Oxford Dictionary for Pedants from arse*

CATTASTIC fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Dec 13, 2015

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

open24hours posted:

do it right the first time.

When has that ever happened in this country?

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dude McAwesome posted:

Yeah, but that's because 'high density' in Melbourne means 'apartments barely big enough to be a human dwelling.'

Take a look at what they've got in Central Park, Sydney for $600,000-$700,000 (or $500-$600pw)

http://www.domain.com.au/l11-3-carlton-street-chippendale-nsw-2008-10239858?sp=3

http://www.domain.com.au/l22-3-carlton-street-chippendale-nsw-2008-10207405?sp=6

I viewed 6 empty apartments on the one tour, 4 different buildings, every one exactly the same width, about 3m.
The depth varied only slightly depending on the style of balcony, some were enclosed adding another ~1m of "living area".

The difference between a "suite" and a "studio" was the inclusion of an added alcove behind the kitchen for a bed.
The living area in the studios was so small that a regular king/queen size bed would be the only thing you'd be able to fit.

On the plus side, those photos are an amazing example of using angles and framing to your advantage.
If you have a look through other ads for similar properties, you can see the kitchen grow and shrink between shots.

e.

CATTASTIC fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 16, 2015

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It is definitely legal, but it's up to your landlord to agree.
Generally though they're only interested in keeping up the income stream so they'd probably be for it provided the person was suitable.

http://www.tenants.org.au/factsheet-18-transfer-and-sub-letting
Keep that site bookmarked, lots of good info.

You could just go for a 6month lease and resign if you're staying?

If you break the lease, that's when you can get a black mark against you.
You'll also have to pay the rent until the premises is leased to someone else, and maybe a separate fee of like 4 weeks rent on top of that.
Try not to break your lease.

I also looked at a place yesterday that had just been vacated by a guy who hoarded guinea pigs.
The whole apartment was covered in a wet, dank, musky smell and the carpet looked like a Pro Hart.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

freebooter posted:

OK cool thanks. I'm actually in Vic but I'll look up the info for here.

I always assumed a 6-month lease is unlikely to be extended, though, because it's usually because the landlord wants to demolish and build or renovate or something?

Oop just assumed you lived in NSW because I live in NSW and I'm not very smart.

I've only once been in the position where an owner wanted me out after the lease end date and that was because they wanted to move in themselves (this is over 10 separate apartments).
They usually prefer for you stay in the property and extending the lease locks in that revenue stream, they don't have to worry about money lost advertising it while it sits vacant.

It would be worth asking the real estate about the option to re-sign when you first apply, if they're happy with the 6 month lease to begin with, they should be happy to extend that later on.
However; not sure about Vic, but here once the lease is over they can increase the rent at any time (there might be a notification period but I can't be arsed looking it up).
So if you want to re-sign, lock it in asap before the owner gets that chance.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
RTPDS Aus Pty Ltd

Sector: Consumer Discretionary
Industry: Commercial Services
Sub-Industry: Other Commercial Services

RTPDS Aus Pty. Ltd. provides management consulting services. The Company offers its services to businesses in the Victoria, Australia area.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Tony Abbott should quit parliament, voters in his electorate tell pollsters

A majority of electors in Tony Abbott’s safe Liberal seat of Warringah believe he should quit parliament at the next election, a new survey shows.

Just over half of those polled in the former prime minister’s electorate on Sydney’s North Shore said their longstanding member should step down and make way for another Liberal candidate, Fairfax Media has reported.

Mr Abbott has not said whether he will quit Parliament in the 2016 election, but indicated recently he would stay.

“I’ve had literally thousands and thousands of messages of support and encouragement since mid-September,” Abbott told Sky News earlier this month. I’ve had a lot of people talk to me as I get around the electorate and still, to some extent, around the country. The message that I’m getting from them, overwhelmingly, is that I still have a contribution to make to our public life.”

In the same interview Abbott said he often gave advice to ambitious backbenchers, saying “good things come to those who wait and perform”. He added he was now taking his own advice.

The ReachTel survey of 743 Warringah residents in his 65% Liberal electorate was conducted on Thursday night for the Australia Institute.

The survey put support for Abbott’s retirement at 50.9%, with 36.7% saying it would make them more likely to vote Liberal in 2016. Another 45.8% said it would not affect their decision.

“The polling indicates that the electorate is quickly moving on from the Tony Abbott era,” said Australia Institute executive director, Ben Oquist, who commissioned the independent polling.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/dec/19/tony-abbott-should-quit-parliament-voters-in-his-electorate-tell-pollsters

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
At lease those original ladies were in on the joke

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Holy poo poo

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Full sentence:

"Racism is a dreadful evil but we all know that now. It’s hardly virtuous to be against racism today. Real virtue would have been to oppose racism when it was difficult to do so."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Negligent posted:

hes not wrong though

its like being anti-cancer

True, but it's still weird hearing it coming from the tumor itself.

• Locked thread