Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

julian assflange posted:

I thought it was the City group as a whole and not just Man City the club. Still pretty :eyepop:

It's okay. They told the Chinese they were buying the actual city

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

triple sulk posted:

It's almost as if Wenger must walk

Football, football never changes

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Shoren posted:

Meltdown incoming...

Here's what will happen: they'll huff and puff to a goalless draw against Sunderland followed by a dynamic performance away to Olympiakos to secure that sweet Champions League money. This will of course be followed by a dire 1-0 loss to Villa before righting the ship and putting in a strong counterattacking display to beat City. They'll go on to beat Southampton in a tight affair after which everyone will claim Arsenal have turned the corner and then they'll proceed to struggle against Bournemouth and Newcastle because would you honestly expect anything else?

I'd take this

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
No more Neville on Monday night football sucks :(

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
yah Gary Neville is head coach at Valencia now

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
Gary is occasionally insightful, with a penis like a baby mushroom, but I don't think he will make a good manager.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Bea Nanner posted:

Gary is occasionally insightful, with a penis like a baby mushroom

Harsh on Carragher this

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

JFairfax posted:

yah Gary Neville is head coach at Valencia now

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Lol imagine that face reassuring the press after a bad result.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

This owns.

La liga posters, how trash are Valencia?

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Am I the only one that thinks he could do well? He's been coaching with England and has all his badges, it's not like he's gone from Sky studios to a dugout somewhere..

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Ninpo posted:

Am I the only one that thinks he could do well? He's been coaching with England and has all his badges, it's not like he's gone from Sky studios to a dugout somewhere..

Could reel off a lot of names of poo poo managers that have those badges too.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Ninpo posted:

Neville won me over with his punditry and I hope he does well but the list of former players who had badges, some experience, and were still really lovely managers is miles long.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Ninpo posted:

Mate everyone knows he has a mushroom willy. How is he gonna get any respect?

Broletariat
Nov 14, 2014
Guardian reporting Cazorla out till March.

:suicide:

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Broletariat posted:

He shapely booty will be sorely missed

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Ninpo posted:

He seems like the type of guy who would make a good manager. It all depends on the situation at Valencia, though.

Broletariat posted:

Don't worry, Brave English Lion Super Jack Wilshere will be back to save the season!

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

blue footed boobie posted:

This owns.

La liga posters, how trash are Valencia?

They're bad, but shouldn't be because they have good players. Nuno Santo is a poo poo manager.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Ninpo posted:

He certainly comes across as someone who's developed a lot of technical knowledge and who isn't going to get found out immediately like an Alan Shearer "stick it in the goal" type, but having your first Proper Job be with a CL team in a country where you don't speak the language, probably don't know most of the players and where you've never played is going to be pretty tough for him

Otoh I hope he's brilliant and that he gets drawn against Chelsea and shits all over them

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

Ninpo posted:

I think he's got more potential to be a good manager than most former players but it's got to be hard that his first job is in a country where he doesn't really know the league or even speak the language.

edit: gently caress you FLJ :(

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections

CyberPingu posted:

Could reel off a lot of names of poo poo managers that have those badges too.

Yes but they had the chance to manage before being declared poo poo

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.

ayb posted:

Yes but they had the chance to manage before being declared poo poo
Most players turn out to be poo poo managers. Or at least, aren't good enough to manage at the level they played at. Why should we expect anything different here? I really hope the answer doesn't include MNF.

If he does well, considering the size of the job so soon, then fair play to him.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I should want him to fail miserably but I hope he does well.

I was always very surprised Jamie didn't become a manager, he always gave the impression that's what he'd do when he retired. Guess it's not too late.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Ninpo posted:

"badges" are just rent seeking horse poo poo from FAs. A guy who played at that level that long doesn't need loving badges

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

African AIDS cum posted:

"badges" are just rent seeking horse poo poo from FAs. A guy who played at that level that long doesn't need loving badges

Next you'll tell me that Brian Clough won two European Cups without being given a certificate for putting the cones out

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

8raz posted:

Most players turn out to be poo poo managers. Or at least, aren't good enough to manage at the level they played at. Why should we expect anything different here? I really hope the answer doesn't include MNF.

If he does well, considering the size of the job so soon, then fair play to him.

No one would argue that he isn't very tactically astute. His analysis with Carragher shows that he actually has a brain for football and can communicate his tactical know-how; his isn't a case where he just knows how to play and that's it. The issue is whether he can manage players and their egos.

Look at the poo poo job Garry Monk is apparently doing with Swansea to know how big a factor that is. But how many players have gone on to manage successfully so quickly after retiring? The most successful ex-players don't seem to find success until many years after retiring from playing.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
G Nev was a good player not because he was particularly talented but because he worked out how to do the job. He was also smart enough to quit instantly when his legs went.

Could be a good manager if given some time imo.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Shoren posted:

No one would argue that he isn't very tactically astute. His analysis with Carragher shows that he actually has a brain for football and can communicate his tactical know-how; his isn't a case where he just knows how to play and that's it. The issue is whether he can manage players and their egos.

Look at the poo poo job Garry Monk is apparently doing with Swansea to know how big a factor that is. But how many players have gone on to manage successfully so quickly after retiring? The most successful ex-players don't seem to find success until many years after retiring from playing.

Monk's ego is the problem at Swansea, not the egos of his players.

Alienating a new player every week (Dyer wasn't his fault, though, the little idiot was diddling a teammate's missus).

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
To be successful at a big club it's not enough to be a smart, hardworking guy with some good ideas, you need the entire setup to be on the same page as you and back you up. The fact that Valencia is now a holding pen for Jorge Mendes' clients doesn't bode well.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
As a west ham fan I look forward to the free points that come from playing Villa

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

Literally The Worst posted:

As a west ham fan I look forward to the free points that come from playing Villa

Yeah alright but you don't need to type in cockney.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Still B.A.E posted:

Haha.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Still B.A.E posted:

Nice lol

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Still B.A.E posted:

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Still B.A.E posted:

:D

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Still B.A.E posted:

blimey...

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
I didn't know the valencia owner also owns a stake in Salford city, makes neville's appointment make a bit more sense I guess.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Still B.A.E posted:

idgi

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

free = three

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Thats not cockney though they do that in loads of places and it's not a rhyme.

• Locked thread