Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Its bascially how Rio Ferdinand speaks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
Mike Williamson suffers hamstring injury two days after Newcastle recall him from loan at Wolves. We are truly cursed.

edit: the liverpool game was going to be brutal anyway but we could have done without this.

tetsuo fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 3, 2015

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
I'd be raging if I was Phil Neville and my older brother who's had a media job for the last few years and who only played under one manager and only spends four weeks a year on a training pitch got hired as head coach instead of promoting me.

Having said that I do suspect Gary will end up a great manager at some point in the future for the same reasons everyone else has said.

Edit: although weird to sign on a short term contract if you don't speak the language. Do three years in the Championship and see if you can get promoted instead, then your kids don't have to change schools. I'm sure one of Burnley/Wednesday/Cardiff/Hull would have him if he expressed an interest. Maybe I'm wrong but I imagine his intention would be to be in the premier league as soon as possible anyway.

Hoops fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 3, 2015

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It probably a better job than somewhere in the championship because the players will be of a much better and more professional standard and it comes with ready-made excuses if he should fail that will protect his reputation in the English game.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Hoops posted:

I'd be raging if I was Phil Neville and my older brother who's had a media job for the last few years and who only played under one manager and only spends four weeks a year on a training pitch got hired as head coach instead of promoting me.

Maybe Phil would rather be a coach at this point in time and doesn't see it as a competition?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Also Gary Neville is a smart guy and Spanish, at least to get your message across, is easy as gently caress. Given he is known to be on the spectrum he'll probably learn it on the flight over.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
David Moyes spent his first day in the office trying to get a result for Git Tae gently caress in google translate

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Hoops posted:

Having said that I do suspect Gary will end up a great manager at some point in the future for the same reasons everyone else has said.

Edit: although weird to sign on a short term contract if you don't speak the language. Do three years in the Championship and see if you can get promoted instead, then your kids don't have to change schools. I'm sure one of Burnley/Wednesday/Cardiff/Hull would have him if he expressed an interest. Maybe I'm wrong but I imagine his intention would be to be in the premier league as soon as possible anyway.

Phil doesn't have all his coaching badges yet. Therefore, he cannot be the head coach of the team. That is why they named Voro the "interim" coach with Phil handling the training.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

CyberPingu posted:

Its bascially how Rio Ferdinand speaks

coke-ney

Shroud
May 11, 2009

brocked posted:

coke-ney

Is that cockney for "choc ice"?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

psyer posted:

Phil doesn't have all his coaching badges yet. Therefore, he cannot be the head coach of the team. That is why they named Voro the "interim" coach with Phil handling the training.

More importantly, anyone can tell that Phil is a dumbass.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

Hoops posted:

yes i too think that he should have gone to Burnley/Wednesday/Cardiff/Hull instead of valencia

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
so that he could live in Burnley/sheffield/Cardiff/Hull instead of the beach in spain for a bit

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
On the other hand you could fail at any of those clubs and it would have zero impact on your career

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

julian assflange posted:

On the other hand you could fail at any of those clubs and it would have zero impact on your career

you'd have a point if every manager in football wasnt fired after 2-3 years in this day and age

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Spanish is not hard to learn at all even a retarded manc can pick it up in a few weeks

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!
Did you take a course online, or did you have an irl tutor?

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Yeah but to give instructions to your players and answer inane post-match interviews is a little different form ordering drinks at the bar

He's better off only using a translator and keeping the aura that he's a wise foreign tactical genius a la Pochettino

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

EC10 posted:

yes i too think that he should have gone to Burnley/Wednesday/Cardiff/Hull instead of valencia
I think this misrepresents the key points of my argument re. Gary Neville's career ambitions

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

So apparently Rojo is now out for "weeks" following a serious shoulder injury. Great.

Wayne Rooney is also out! Swings and roundabouts, innit?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Maybe Wilson will get some game ti....haha

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections

julian assflange posted:

Maybe Wilson will get some game ti....haha

I feel like the writing is on the wall for Wilson with this loan. His form must have dropped off a lot to get no game time when United are in a pinch for forwards

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

African AIDS cum posted:

Spanish is not hard to learn at all even a retarded manc can pick it up in a few weeks

Both Owen and Beckham "managed" it

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

EC10 posted:

you'd have a point if every manager in football wasnt fired after 2-3 years in this day and age

Hell, the same could be said for supporters changing club that often even.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

CyberPingu posted:

Both Owen and Beckham "managed" it

Haha even sarcastically,that's probably being generous. IIRC noted tactical-and-intellectual luminary David Beckham's few words he knew in Spanish was "puta," for which he was red-carded for calling a referee.

The best "lack of immersion and language" story still might be Iago Aspas who apparently learned a single word of English in his Liverpool tenure:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/liverpool-flop-iago-aspas-only-6446219

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Good lad Gary Bale talks spanish

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Hegay posted:

Good lad Gary Bale talks spanish
"soy buscando por ovejas, pero no por la cena"?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

straight up brolic posted:

"soy buscando por ovejas, pero no por la cena"?

lol

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Oi Pedro, dos cervezas por fa vor

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Hoops posted:

DID SOMEONE SAY PHIL NEVILLE?

Phil doesnt have the Pro Licence that you need to be a manager in Spain, but his course is due to finish at the end of May so who knows what happens then?

I can say that Garys a bit sneaky not taking proper charge till Monday, I was told they have 11 first team squad members out for the match against Barca

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

It's not like he's that much better off for it in all honesty, his first ever match in professional management is going to be a must-win Champions League tie against the best team in that group. That's probably one for a future quiz question.

Still, I think he's actually better off doing this than going for a poo poo Championship club. It's La Liga, so he can't possibly win anything, but he'd have to gently caress up pretty massively to go down. And I've no doubts someone in a top league will then hire him off the back of that over a Championship manager because if he were any good, why's 'e managing in the Championship, eh?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Der Shovel posted:

So apparently Rojo is now out for "weeks" following a serious shoulder injury. Great.

Wayne Rooney is also out! Swings and roundabouts, innit?

:woop:

0 - Man Utd have not lost any of the seven PL games they've played without Wayne Rooney in the Louis van Gaal era (W4 D3). Absent.

It used to be that Utd were significantly less likely to win without Rooney, now it's the opposite.

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/672746363554291712

Look at the reactions lol

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
It's a shameless fanbase that cheers the injury of the current longest servant of the club imho.

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

It's a shameless fanbase that cheers the injury of the current longest servant of the club imho.
Seeing a lot of people remembering he's scouse lately.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Eau de MacGowan posted:

City fan talking about shameless fanbase

8raz posted:

Seeing a lot of people remembering he's scouse lately.

They never really forgot. It's just that it makes no sense to badmouth a oval office who's doing really well for your team.

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.

PirateBob posted:

They never really forgot. It's just that it makes no sense to badmouth a oval office who's doing really well for your team.
So they remember when he's not doing well. Point still stands.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Yeah but Pirate Bobs a oval office.

Not sure Rooney being out fixes a problem.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

The Big Taff Man posted:

It's not like he's been scoring goals.

Martial has looked very good but it's pretty clear that he needs someone else around him up front who is also on form.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Shrapnig posted:

It's not like he's been scoring goals.

Or making good passes or crosses, making key runs, opening up the defense, linking the midfield and attackers or pretty much anything else meaningful. Rooney has been a passenger for months and is at a point where a mediocre performance gets praise because even that seems positive compared to the utter uselessness he normally offers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

The Big Taff Man posted:

I'm a oval office? gently caress you. Any Utd fan not looking forward to Utd being without Rooney (for whatever reason) is an idiot.

8raz posted:

So they remember when he's not doing well. Point still stands.

What point is that? When you have reason to look for positives you look for positives and when you have reason to look for negatives you look for negatives? Groundbreaking insight there 8raz.

• Locked thread