Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

Pack it in everybody, unknown radio show host said he saw it too.

Hey now, the villain from the Police Academy movies is hardly unknown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorilla Desperado
Oct 9, 2012

TLM3101 posted:

When cornered on the capitol steps and questioned on whether he would actually help fix anything, the reports' author allegedly looked down and whispered 'no'.

:drat: Excellent

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

zoux posted:

What if instead of showing people saying they remember the videos, what if they just showed the video for proof? Why aren't they showing the video itself????

Liberals are hiding the video in the same place they're hiding the Michelle Obama whitey tapes and Fiorina's baby vivisection videos.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

You know, I was thinking about Carson talking about the Pyramids being used for grain storage. Isn't that what they did in the Civilization games? It'd be hilarious if Carson got his knowledge of ancient wonders of the world from a videogame.

That particular misapprehension has been going around for centuries at least, hasn't it?

quote:

“I read his book, and I was just awed,” Mike says, referring to “Gifted Hands,” Carson’s book about his rise from impoverished child to world-famous brain surgeon, in which he describes a God who answered his every prayer, no matter how urgent or mundane — from taking away his anger to giving him exam answers to locating his passport. “He believes there’s a higher power.”

“He has to have a higher power to do what he does,” says Toni, who saw the movie version on a Christian TV channel. “Anybody would know that.”

Is it just me or does Ben Carson's god sound an awful lot like a supernatural Smithers?

Gorilla Desperado
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah, that's exactly the territory it's going into. As an aside, I love how the "Michelle Obama whitey tape" has become the goto STDH ridicule comparison for stuff like this. There was a blog I used to read that went hard pro Hillary/anti Obama back in 07 and that was the point where they went totally off the deep end and never came back (no, not Hillaryis44). Still one of the worst meltdowns I've seen.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Glad someone caught it, because the resemblance was eerie to me, at least. :v:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

They are having a hard time finding the tape because they stored it in the clean coal power plant.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Comments about government overspending $3million on an earmark for an "overhead projector" is one of the big stories that got rid of earmarks entirely, something that has apparently completely frozen the federal government and probably doomed all American prosperity.

It was actually for a new projector for the Adler Planetarium. I'm sure the claims of waste from them are totally real this time though :rolleyes:. Don't ever expect honesty or hindsight or introspection out of Republicans.

Gorilla Desperado
Oct 9, 2012

TLM3101 posted:

Glad someone caught it, because the resemblance was eerie to me, at least. :v:

Indeed. R's face was a little more hosed up as I remember it but otherwise the resemblance is remarkable.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
Things are starting to get a bit more tense between Texas' Health & Human Services Commission and the non-profit sector. Last week, HHS started requesting assurances from various non-profits that they won't be serving Syrians and threatening lawsuits and funding blocks if they do.

In one specific instance, HHS sent a letter to the International Rescue Committee (IRC) demanding assurances by Monday, 11/30, that they were going to comply with Abbott's orders. Austin has responded to the treats by dismissing a resolution to stand with Abbott on the issue and publicly announcing that it will accept all refugees.

quote:

Caritas Executive Director Jo Kathryn Quinn was blunt. “If you are a terrorist and you are trying to get into this country and you want to come through using the refugee system, you’re not a very smart terrorist,” said Quinn. “Terrorists are not coming through the refugee process. The people running from terrorists are coming through the refugee process.”

I'm really curious to know what the federal response would be if Abbott actually starts following through on his threats.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
How are GOP leaders getting away with saying refugees aren't being vetted and that we need to enact stronger measures to keep out terrorists? Are they betting on people literally not knowing anything about the refugee resettlement process (ie that it is already the most stringently vetted migration process we have) and will not even do the most basic of fact-checking? :psyduck:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

How are GOP leaders getting away with saying refugees aren't being vetted and that we need to enact stronger measures to keep out terrorists? Are they betting on people literally not knowing anything about the refugee resettlement process (ie that it is already the most stringently vetted migration process we have) and will not even do the most basic of fact-checking? :psyduck:

It's because the media are cowards and are afraid to say the l-word because that would be taking sides :ohdear:

e: Rahm asking the Police Chief to step down right now.

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 1, 2015

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

discoukulele posted:

Things are starting to get a bit more tense between Texas' Health & Human Services Commission and the non-profit sector. Last week, HHS started requesting assurances from various non-profits that they won't be serving Syrians and threatening lawsuits and funding blocks if they do.

In one specific instance, HHS sent a letter to the International Rescue Committee (IRC) demanding assurances by Monday, 11/30, that they were going to comply with Abbott's orders. Austin has responded to the treats by dismissing a resolution to stand with Abbott on the issue and publicly announcing that it will accept all refugees.

I'm really curious to know what the federal response would be if Abbott actually starts following through on his threats.

At this point I would be shocked if the ACLU didn't step in with a lawsuit first.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

zoux posted:

What if instead of showing people saying they remember the videos, what if they just showed the video for proof? Why aren't they showing the video itself????

Release the long form video, Trump.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Because they know people literally don't know anything about the refugee resettlement process and don't do even the most basic of fact-checking. A significant portion of Americans believe that being a refugee means that someone shows up in a boat on the shore, is given a green card and is given a house/medical care/a secure job/stacks of raw cash. This is something people actually believe, and I have heard from the mouths of otherwise sensible human beings.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

If I'm a journalist, and I ask North Carolina Governor McCheese why he bothers posturing against Syrian refugees when he is no doubt aware that any and all of them are heavily vetted, only 2% are males of fighting age, and that we've only received around 100 statewide in the last 3 or 4 years, that's a hard question, and not a complimentary one. He would never come back and he could just go to another program that asks him what are his plans over Christmas. Ratings go down and hardball questions are turned away.

Coheed and Camembert fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 1, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

At this point I would be shocked if the ACLU didn't step in with a lawsuit first.

They are already suing one governor.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Are you new to American politics? Betting on people literally not knowing anything about the refugee resettlement process gives about the same odds as betting on whether the sun will rise tomorrow.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Enter: Barack Obama, circa 2013:

quote:

President Barack Obama said Monday that his decision to place U.S. Special Operations forces in Syria is "consistent" with his promise not to put boots on the ground.

He added, "We are not putting U.S. troops on the frontlines fighting firefights with ISIL," using another term for ISIS.

Scene change: 2015, Obama's words holding steadfa--

quote:

Secretary of Defense Ash Carter announced Tuesday that the U.S. military will send "a specialized expeditionary targeting force" aimed at conducting more raids in Iraq.

"Next, in full coordination with the Government of Iraq, we're deploying a specialized expeditionary targeting force to assist Iraqi and Kurdish Peshmerga forces and to put even more pressure on ISIL," Carter said. "These special operators will over time be able to conduct raids, free hostages, gather intelligence, and capture ISIL leaders."

It's not boots on ground, it's foot apparel temporarily occupying space on surfaces, Obama told me so!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Tempest_56 posted:

Because they know people literally don't know anything about the refugee resettlement process and don't do even the most basic of fact-checking. A significant portion of Americans believe that being a refugee means that someone shows up in a boat on the shore, is given a green card and is given a house/medical care/a secure job/stacks of raw cash. This is something people actually believe, and I have heard from the mouths of otherwise sensible human beings.

drat it, this is child's play level stuff. It's not like Watergate or the Pentagon Papers here. Politicians could literally say grass is purple and the sky is red and the media still wouldn't call them out and people still wouldn't fact check. :eng99:

I'm not new to this stuff, it just continues to amaze me when I think we've hit rock bottom already.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 1, 2015

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Old James posted:

I know you aren't the one asking the question, but if you know how fruit flies mate you might be able to figure out a way to interupt them and therefore reduce their populations and spoilage. So $5 million in scientific research may save billions over the years in lost production.

Fruit flies are also used quite frequently by scientists studying genetics.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

It's not boots on ground, it's foot apparel temporarily occupying space on surfaces, Obama told me so!

Real operators' feet don't touch the ground.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

They were just a fledgling group in 2013. Now they occupy significant chunks of land, have killed a poo poo ton of people, have committed terrorist acts in Europe, threaten terrorist acts against the U.S, and we have done about as much as we can with airstrikes already.

There are lots of reasons to be against sending ground troops into the middle east. Because the president said he wouldn't two years ago is not one of them.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

In case there was any doubt left: the county clerk's office said that a clerical error put F instead of M for the shooter's gender.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Inferior Third Season posted:

There are lots of reasons to be against sending ground troops into the middle east. Because the president said he wouldn't two years ago is not one of them.

If he would actually admit that he is doing something he said he wouldn't do, that would be fine.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

They were just a fledgling group in 2013. Now they occupy significant chunks of land, have killed a poo poo ton of people, have committed terrorist acts in Europe, threaten terrorist acts against the U.S, and we have done about as much as we can with airstrikes already.

Not to mention that special forces conduct a poo poo load of covert missions that require their boots to be on the ground, and more than likely behind enemy lines that we don't even know about. Obama admitting that he's putting them in the field and using them beyond training / targeting missions is actually a good thing.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SedanChair posted:

If he would actually admit that he is doing something he said he wouldn't do, that would be fine.

Special forces haven't been considered "boots on the ground", since idk, Kennedy maybe Eisenhower?

I'd blame the arcane lies we tell ourselves about congress overseeing our military.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SedanChair posted:

Welllllll......

Boots on the ground is a very vague wording. Sending Special Operators is not generally considered boots on the ground, because they tend to be sent to places where we won't consider sending normal Army/Marines.

Boots on the ground for most people is mainline Army/Marines. You could probably get away with claiming this with him deploying Army advisers in Iraq, however.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What about hover boots guys.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Luigi Thirty posted:

In case there was any doubt left: the county clerk's office said that a clerical error put F instead of M for the shooter's gender.

B-b-b-but, what about what Ted Cruz said?!

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
Whoa holy gently caress a president went back on something he'd previously said?

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Well, pack it in folks. I guess the government is what makes people Transsexuals. We already knew it forced men to use women's bathrooms, but this is just ridiculous.

Do you think they send out notices when you've been government mandated for a sex change, or you just stumble on it one day?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Val Helmethead posted:

Well, pack it in folks. I guess the government is what makes people Transsexuals. We already knew it forced men to use women's bathrooms, but this is just ridiculous.

Do you think they send out notices when you've been government mandated for a sex change, or you just stumble on it one day?

The FEMA death mobile appears outside of your door.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

It's hard to cut Obama slack when he's been actively opposing sending in any significant amount of force to directly confront ISIS. It's not just 'he's doing something he said he wasn't', he has repeatedly said it's the objectively wrong thing to do.

Is D&D going to be so chill when he approves of sending in actual ground troops in six or eight months? (Silly question, I know the answer)

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

CommieGIR posted:

Welllllll......

Boots on the ground is a very vague wording. Sending Special Operators is not generally considered boots on the ground, because they tend to be sent to places where we won't consider sending normal Army/Marines.

Boots on the ground for most people is mainline Army/Marines. You could probably get away with claiming this with him deploying Army advisers in Iraq, however.

Seriously, Delta Force running around kicking in ISIL faces is waaaayyy different than the 3rd ID occupying Al Anbar.

Mostly because it's actually effective at diminishing ISIL's ability to wage war, whereas occupying forces just give the enemy a clear target.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Is D&D going to be so chill when he approves of sending in actual ground troops in six or eight months? (Silly question, I know the answer)

I'll believe it when it happens. Special Operations is not boots on the ground :colbert:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

It's hard to cut Obama slack when he's been actively opposing sending in any significant amount of force to directly confront ISIS. It's not just 'he's doing something he said he wasn't', he has repeatedly said it's the objectively wrong thing to do.

So wait, do you think we should or shouldn't be deploying ground troops to fight ISIS?

I'm sorry the fact that special ops isn't considered boots on the ground makes you angry, but that's just how the terms work in American politics.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think all our previous military interventions in the region have gone so well, why not try another!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Welllllll......

You feel that? That's the feeling you get when a politician you like tells lies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

SedanChair posted:

Real operators' feet don't touch the ground.

And I looked back in the sand, and there was only one set of footprints, because the operator was riding on my shoulders, piggy-back style.

• Locked thread