Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

What the gently caress was their target? This isn't just some random lone nut shooter. This is insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

CarterUSM posted:

Listening to the speech tones and cadences of a traffic reporter talk about the detours and traffic disruptions caused by the live killing of two suspects in a mass-shooting is just surreal.

reminds me of when you sometimes hear people foreign to the US ask things like "Do people really have guns and shoot them at each other all the time" and it's like well yeah it fucks with my commute it's so annoying.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Pretty cool they got an interview with the kid from UP!

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

They're just loving grilling his brother. They don't give a gently caress if he knows nothing or not.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

gently caress. Here we go.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

When was the last workplace shooting where the shooters wore GoPro's?

These people wore go-pros? Seriously?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Joementum posted:

We now move on to the Cornyn (R-TX) alternative to the Feinstein (D-CA) amendment. Feinstein's amendment prohibits people on the terror watchlist from buying guns. Cornyn's version instead adds a 72 hour delay to the purchase.

That's loving ballsy.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Zombie Samurai posted:

Y'all so busy tilting at trolls that you missed this new wrinkle from Trump.

Trump irks Jewish donors with comments on Mideast peace

God drat. I know he just doesn't give a gently caress sometimes but that's something else.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

DemeaninDemon posted:

Obviously that means we need to strengthen guns laws.

Or loosen them so every Tom dick and Harry have them. Except Muslims.

Honestly shocked nobody has put forward gun control measures that only apply to muslims today.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

semper wifi posted:

Not really, it's more like saying "an elementary school massacre and a biker gang shootout have almost nothing in common besides both being shootings". You're deliberately conflating the two so that you can have a stronger (but still paper-thin) case when you use "mass shootings" to push for gun control.

Yes because preventing the mass murder of children and a shoot outs like it's the wild loving west are not good reasons to control who has guns. Why would people think those are good examples of things we should be trying to prevent? :shrug:

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

This is like a real live version of Nightcrawler

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

What the gently caress were they thinking? What the fuuuuuuuuuck :psyduck:

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

I mean, the BBC is also a big powerful media thing with a lot of the same problems but I guess somewhere inside I thought they wouldn't go there.

Technically they didn't.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

Because people in this thread (and other people, for that matter) for some reason keep insinuating that it's okay to shoot a bunch of people over a political disagreement, a sentiment that I have read multiple times over the last two weeks which is kind of creepy?

I don't think people are trying to do that, but I can kind of see what you're getting at. Everyone isn't trying to justify why he did what he did, they're trying to rationalize what might go through the mind of a crazy person to rationalize it, or think of a way it might have been prevented. Like, maybe if someone had intervened and told the one coworker to drop his poo poo talking Islam, maybe it wouldn't have come to a head that day. Was it that guys fault? gently caress no, but in the mind of a crazy person it might have been the last straw that maybe could have been put off in time to catch on to what the shooters were planning.

Basically everyone is trying to warp their minds around this and nobody is trying to justify it, but again I can kind of see what you mean even though I don't think you're correct in your assumptions.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

Between this and the sexual innuendo on the last page, I have reached the conclusion that this place is kind of hosed up in the head and a waste of time

When you don't listen to what people are telling you and you're deliberately looking for something that isn't there despite people trying to explain it to you, yes it can seem warped. I wonder why.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

From a few pages back but everyone needs to watch this. It's loving brutal.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

That's still one of my favorite Onion videos next to the Shrieking White-Hot Sphere Of Pure Rage.

God, if we only knew then what we know now.

Kro-Bar posted:

The NY Daily News has been amazing ever since they hired Shaun King.

Does anyone actually read it? I had never heard of it until images of the prayer cover made the rounds last week.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

I can't loving wait for the 2016 version of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLoqti0lzAw

This is kinda scary.

edit: ahahaha I just got to the part where she starts ranting about conspiracy theorists and how truthers/chemtrails/birthers are making people look bad because nobody will listen to the truth about Benghazi.

On Terra Firma fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 10, 2015

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

CalmDownMate posted:

Pissing off the israelis and sparking violence between them and palestinians could surely only backfire on him in a general? How many primary candidates have caused a international incident before ?

It will be pretty one sided if it does, and if the Palestinians get smashed by the Israelis in any sort of heightened conflict the base will be all for it.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

If he goes third party the GOP should just forfeit. There is absolutely nothing they can do at that point.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Tigntink posted:

I'm glad to be witnessing the apparent fall of Trump. It's no longer just a joke. People are mostly now repulsed.

The base isn't. They're pumped someone is finally "telling it like it is".

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

JT Jag posted:

And for the first time ever the people actually in charge of the party seem to be willing to draw a line they aren't willing to cross. Let's see if they hold it though.

It's going to be tricky going back to dog whistles when someone's been using a bullhorn for the last few months.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Jesus Christ. gently caress those people. They are loving insane.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Joementum posted:

Jeff Flake continues to be a fascinating Tea Party Senator.

With everything else going on, that's actually really cool.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Christ will you people stop responding to him.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Alzion posted:

People seem to forget just how expansive those expansion packs were back in the day. You were essentially getting a new full game that was using the art assets and engine of the previous game. For example the original Starcraft had 30 misssions and Brood War had 28.

With modern sales strategy you instead add a few more bells and whistles then you would have on expansion pack and release your product as an individual full priced title. So now you have things like Fallout 3 -> Fallout: New Vegas

New Vegas is exactly what you're describing above though. It's probably longer than Fallout 3 is in terms of hours of content.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

A small town in North Carolina rejected solar power for a totally rational reason.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...n-a6771526.html

quote:

US town rejects solar panels amid fears they 'suck up all the energy from the sun'

A US town has rejected a proposal for a solar farm following public concerns.

Members of the public in Woodland, North Carolina, expressed their fear and mistrust at the proposal to allow Strata Solar Company to build a solar farm off Highway 258.

During the Woodland Town Council meeting, one local man, Bobby Mann, said solar farms would suck up all the energy from the sun and businesses would not go to Woodland, the Roanoke-Chowan News Herald reported.

Jane Mann, a retired science teacher, said she was concerned the panels would prevent plants in the area from photosynthesizing, stopping them from growing.

Ms Mann said she had seen areas near solar panels where plants are brown and dead because they did not get enough sunlight.

She also questioned the high number of cancer deaths in the area, saying no one could tell her solar panels didn't cause cancer.

The area around Woodland is a popular choice because it has an electrical substation allowing the panels to be hooked up to the national grid.

A spokesperson for Strata told the meeting: "There are no negative impacts. A solar farm is a wonderful use for a property like this."

They added: "The panels don't draw additional sunlight."

The council voted three to one against rezoning the land and later voted for a moratorium on future solar farms.

Speaking after the COP-21 summit on climate change in Paris pledged to limit global warming below the threshold of 2°c, Pope Francis said the plan will require "a concerted and generous commitment" from everyone.

Experts said a move towards renewable power, with investment in wind and solar energy, will be required to cut down on emissions.

Retired science teacher. My loving god. :suicide:

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Boon posted:

I think like 20% or greater of America makes $100k+ so it's not that ridiculous.

Household maaaaaaaaaybe. Not individuals though.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

I would love to not hear about airbnb and uber.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Rochallor posted:

I don't want this to be brushed over, because what. the gently caress. This is loving unbelievable. This is the dumbest thing that has happened all year. I can't even describe how angry this makes me. I can't.

I've been out that way a few times (I live in Richmond) and as soon as I saw it was Staunton I knew exactly what to expect. Some parts of this country aren't ready for prime time.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

If drawing a picture of calligraphy, because seriously they can't loving write it or know what it says, can convert you to Islam in the eyes of those people then they think Islam is basically magic and symbols can control people's minds. That's telling and somehow makes perfect sense.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I agree, I don't think Sanders himself had anything to do with it. This reflects badly on a few of his employees, not him or his beliefs.

They're his people, and he chose them. It reflects badly on his judgement. I only half feel that way but that's how it's going to be perceived.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Cheekio posted:

So how did Bernie and Hillary do last night? I'm watching the debate and so far it doesn't look like anyone but O'Malley is doing a terrible job.

Hilary had to poop but then came out mid debate and said sorry.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

No answer you give will be good enough for a true believer.

Even Trump thinks it's regressive and a bad idea. That's saying something.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Everyone drive really slow and stay within the lines so this doesn't digress into uber-chat again.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

I think the real goal is to make the women feel very bad about what they have done, so all of those situations are mission accomplished.

I don't think many people who want to restrict access to abortion or any of that really believe it. They know a shitload of yokels out there do though, and that's who they're pandering to. There are tens of millions of people in this country that think that way, and they vote. That somehow makes it worse in my mind.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Sicko wasn't too bad.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

If he's a troll then he's probably the best I've seen in here for quite some time. If he's not then he's not even bothering to address any of the points you all are making and should just be ignored.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

baseball and most people I've ever encountered that were involved in it (used to work a county job watching baseball/soccer fields over summer) were repugnant assholes. Most people I met who dealt with girls softball were creeps/borderline pedophiles and some of the most awful human beings I've ever met.

Sounds American as hell to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

This is unreal

quote:

McGinty’s office responded in an amended statement, claiming his initial comments were not meant to criticize Samaria Rice’s grieving process. “We have never once criticized Tamir’s mother or questioned her right to grieve in any way. We have met with her repeatedly and cooperated with her in every possible manner. And we will continue to do so.”

gently caress everything.

• Locked thread