Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Sardine Wit posted:

This is a great read and holy poo poo why would short selling stock be legal? Is there any benefit to the economy at large?

it's just another form of financial speculation. unless you want to ban that outright there's no reason for it not to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

what's politico's political leaning?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

The idea behind this is based on historical hindsight: the industrial revolution would have changed up economics and manufacturing so much that slavery would no longer have been a feasible backbone for the Southern economy and they would have had to either adapt or collapse.

It's also largely BS, as the Southeners only ever had plans to expand slavery at the time.

that's not even true, it never would have become financially unfeasible. brazil only dropped slavery because the british threatened to stop buying their stuff if they didn't. and then the british in their own caribbean slave colonies only ended it in theory and replaced it with subcontinental indian indentured labor

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 2, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Popular Thug Drink posted:

yeah but this would not have been likely, the south might possibly have had the military resources to pull off an invasion of mexico but all of their geopolitical moves would have been with the north watching and waiting for any chance to pounce. like the north has to be so demoralized as to not invoke monroe doctrine against what it sees as an illegitimate treason state

they wanted Cuba and probably would have gotten it.

if the south had succeeded it almost certainly would have become a Latin America-style banana republic under British suzerainty. but yeah there's 0% chance they would have ever succeeded to begin with

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Radbot posted:

Please explain how you'd implement "militant secularism", tia

guiollitines and barges on the loire

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Cool Bear posted:

We need to look at our society and ask "Why the god drat hell does a normal person want to murder everyone around him?"

Well?

Liberal arts majors? I'm looking at you? I know how to do machines and stuff lol what the gently caress is like the psychology or whatever

congrats on being a mindless cog in a machine run by ivory tower elite liberal arts people i guess? at the end you'll be shoved into a van labeled 'glue factory' don't worry

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Joementum posted:

I had Thai food for lunch. Take that, Tojo!

thailand was a fascist ally of imperial japan? :confused:

you're going to end up in one of Eternal President Trump's camps acting like that

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 7, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

ahahahaha bush taking down the rest of the GOP establishment with him, leaving Cruz as the nominee, would be absolutely hilarious

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Adar posted:

Given the staying power of the average GOP voter I fully expect this means either Rubio or Jeb actually win, but yeah, Trump is finally dead now.

???

bush's campaign has been a comical failure thus far, what makes you think this will be any different?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

do these people even know what Marxist means? and that trump was parodied long before his political maneuvers

what do they want. do they want the US to drop a couple of thousand troops down there and have another war in iraq? I mean i think they are stupid fuckheads, but i wondering is airstrikes and spec ops is going to be enough. If we have to play world police, i would rather do it under a liberal then whatever the GOP puts out.

what they want is for the US to implement the Final Solution to the Muslim Question. only the saudis can stick around, at least until the oil's gone

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I'm just gonna start calling Trump Il Duce from now on

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

wilderthanmild posted:

Local radio was trying to blame the liberals for Trump's comments somehow.

It was a hilarious damage control tail-spin about he's really a liberal and doesn't represent republicans.(Same guy has supported Trump on the air multiple times before)

my local radio guy, who is an orthodox rubio-bush style mainstreamer, wasn't doing damage control at all, he took the opportunity to go on a tirade about how the liberal PC media refuses to allow ethnic and racial profiling which is just good old common sense. he also made sure to point out that nothing Trump says can be used against the Republicans because he's not a real conservative because reasons, even though he still likes the idea of a wall and says he would vote for Trump if he were sure Trump would go through with it

remember this is the mainstream guy. trump's positions really are almost 100% uncontroversial within the base. most of the criticism is over tone and optics

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Dec 8, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

DemeaninDemon posted:

Last couple pages have been amazing.

Love the tripping all over to declare Trump anything but a fascist.

yeah i've read like 4 articles over the past few days asking "is trump a fascist" and every single one has been too chickenshit to come out and say the words, settling instead on sinister allusions and implication

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Mulva posted:

Were in a weird media environment where making a definitive statement is seen as being too biased and divisive. Hell Diane Rehm on NPR got pissed off at Rick Perlstein because he called out Grover Norquist for lying.

that media environment has a name: neoliberal capitalism

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

a poli-sci professor of all people should know that bourgeois liberalism is inherently unstable and will inevitably degenerate into fascism unless saved by revolution :ussr:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

fade5 posted:

Trump is here to stay, and it is terrifying.

Gonna enjoy Hillary grinding him into the dirt.

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-12-09/bloomberg-politics-poll-trump-muslim-ban-proposal

quote:

Bloomberg Politics Poll: Nearly Two-Thirds of Likely GOP Primary Voters Back Trump's Muslim Ban
John McCormick
December 9, 2015 — 12:02 PM CST

Almost two-thirds of likely 2016 Republican primary voters favor Donald Trump's call to temporarily ban Muslims from entering the U.S., while more than a third say it makes them more likely to vote for him.

Those are some of the findings from a Bloomberg Politics/Purple Strategies PulsePoll, an online survey conducted Tuesday, that shows support at 37 percent among all likely general-election voters for the controversial proposal put forward by the Republican front-runner.

“We believe these numbers are made up of some people who are truly expressing religious bigotry and others who are fearful about terrorism and are willing to do anything they think might make us safer,” Doug Usher, who runs polling for Washington-based Purple Strategies, said in his analysis of the findings. "This indicates that, despite some conventional wisdom expressed in the last 48 hours, this is unlikely to hurt Trump at least in the primary campaign."

Read the poll questions and methodology here.

Support for Trump's proposal remains virtually unchanged even after voters are told both sides of the argument. On one side, they were told that “leaders from across the political spectrum have condemned this policy” as one that will make the U.S. “less safe by alienating the allies we need to fight ISIS.” They were also told that Trump has said it is needed until more is known about the threat and that the nation "cannot be the victims of horrendous attacks by people that believe only in jihad."

When voters were provided with this additional information, support for the proposal remains essentially unchanged, with 64 percent of likely Republican primary voters saying they favor the idea. That includes 52 percent who say they strongly support the proposal.

After being told about the idea, 37 percent of likely Republican primary voters say it makes them more likely to support the billionaire real estate mogul, while 16 percent say less and 46 percent say it has no impact.

Among all likely general-election voters, including Democrats and independents, 18 percent say it makes them more likely to back Trump, while 33 percent say less likely and 44 percent say it has no impact.

While Trump has considerable strength among likely Republican primary voters, the survey shows weakness for him in a general election. Including all likely voters, 33 percent view him favorably and 64 percent unfavorably.

That's a worse favorability rating than President Barack Obama, who was at 51 percent favorable and 47 percent unfavorable in this survey. It's also worse than Democratic front-runner Hillary Clinton, who is seen favorably by 45 percent and unfavorably by 52 percent of likely general-election voters.

Those with less education are more likely to be strongly supportive of Trump's Muslim proposal, with 34 percent of those without a college education feeling that way compared to 22 percent of those who do have a college education. Older voters, evangelical Christians, and whites are also more likely than the overall general election population to favor Trump's plan.

The poll has a margin of error of plus or minus 4 percentage points on the full sample and higher on subgroups, such as likely Republican primary voters, where it's 7 percentage points.

only 22% oppose

:unsmigghh:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

So who thinks Trump is here to stay or will sink after voting begins?

David Brooks had a car analogy the other day on PBS NewsHour, something along these lines: Everyone says they want a Ferrari. But when they go to the dealer that's not what they buy. Donald Trump "sounds" great in a goofy way, like "oh I want a Ferrari!", but when actual options are weighed when reality kicks in decisions will change quickly.

My projection, probably not unique at all: Marco Rubio's ascent will begin and he will be the nominee.

i don't see Rubio climbing, i think the likely winner here is Cruz.

do you need an absolute majority of delegates at the convention to win or just a plurality? at this point i think Rubio's last best hope is for Trump and Cruz to split the anti-establishment vote and come out with a slim plurality

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

computer parts posted:

If you don't get a majority then you get a brokered convention.

IMO Cruz wins in that case. Sure they hate him personally, but he's better than Trump and if Rubio and Bush end up with a combined 25% of the vote per current polling I don't see any other option. People saying Rubio is going to float up in the polls any day now are delusional

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 10, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I think this whole "anti-establishment, non-politician president" thing among Republicans is just a phase. I know people have been saying this since summer but there are early signs - look how far Carly Fiorina has fallen. She is not even at 3% anymore. She is among the ranks of Mike Huckabee and Rand Paul.

And, thankfully, Ben Carson is slipping too. Ted Cruz and Rubio are ahead of him. Carson is not much of a threat to Trump anymore.

So as I've been thinking for a looooong time, Trump must fall too. Yup...... any... minute now......

So you're the guy from the Onion article, Got it

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Slaan posted:

So if Trump doesn't win the primary somehow and runs an independent campaign, how many states would bar him from the ballot because of Sore Loser laws? Enough to matter?

Well if that happened it would be a guaranteed win for the Democrats anyways, so it's sort of moot

Raskolnikov38 posted:

David Brooks is an idiot and everyone that wanted a Ferrari would buy a Ferrari if they didn't cost a shitload. This is applicable to voting which is free because.......

no no the American voting public deep down sees the wisdom of us Serious People and will come around in the end, just you wait

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 10, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

nachos posted:

It's amazing to watch pundits explain away Trump as someone who's figured out how to capture all those frustrated voters in the Republican Party. Without actually going the next step and analyzing what they are frustrated about. Obviously it's because they can't just call out an entire political base on tv as racists, but it's entertaining in a somewhat terrifying way to watch them dance around the real reason people like trump.

it's not just the money-grubbing conviction-less commercial media, though, there's a very large part of the intellectual elite who are desperately wedded to the value pluralist truth is in the middle narrative, where the Republican's must have something worthwhile to say just because so many people believe in it

Fried Chicken posted:

I wouldn't say I'm any more optimistic than you are. What I'm saying is that the only way you get them "beaten, broken, and forced to accept their total defeat before tapering off close societal oversight over the next 3 generations" is by offering another way to sap away the organization's strength and let those committed to the current movement and the ideas and behaviors we find so repugnant be banished to the political wilderness, lacking the power to do anything, and fading away with time.

Who Turned My Blue State Red is a good article on this, but tl;dr - most of the people that this movement are looking to pick up, aren't organized, aren't regular voters. We need another movement out there getting them togehter in some fashion so that the elements we are seeing can't grow, and preferably so that they are turned against the hate we have been seeing.

I don't think the white working class is ever coming back to the left, at least not within any of our lifetimes. That's just the way it is unfortunately, the best thing you can do is depress turnout and try to weaken their political influence as much as possible. They're going to lash out a bunch as their political influence wanes, which is what you're seeing now with Il Duce The Donald

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Dec 10, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

nah, as of TYOOL 2015 people have become so desensitized to neoliberal capitalism they're mostly indifferent to the Chinese. it takes a borderline fascist like Trump to even mention them and even then people seem mostly bemused. 1985-vintage japan bashing isn't coming back, also the chinese themselves aren't doing so hot and the doomsday, worst case, China rules the world scenario that might happen is they occupy some islands off the Philippines

arabs are still the gold standard clash-of-civilizations boogeymen and will remain so pretty much indefinitely IMO, especially as the ME looks to remain a gaping, bleeding terrorism-spewing chest wound indefinitely

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Dec 10, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Trump is going to ascend to heaven to become the Moon God, and thus gain automatic mind control powers over the Muslim hordes

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

zoux posted:

I dunno why the temporary ascendance of Cruz is now a mortal lock for the nom, or are we always going to talk about how the second place guy is juuuust about to sweep in and end Trump?

i imagine there are lots of delegates who will refuse to vote for Trump no matter how many rounds voting goes, who will support Cruz instead

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/12/texans-begin-nightly-smashing-windows-of-muslim-family-only-six-weeks-after-they-move-in/

Six weeks after a Muslim family moved to Plano Texas, they've had their windows smashed in every day this week because we live in Nazi Germany.

This election has been fun, but I want off this train now :(

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

if right-wing Sunni Arabs had control of a strong nation-state which had friendly American-aligned foreign relations and didn't explicitly support terrorism in the US, american right wingers would love them for suppressing religious minorities

oh wait

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, “He took his flag pin off. I’m a Marine and former deputy sheriff. He took that off, he was in the toilet to me. I would not only not piss on him if he was on fire — I’d throw gas on him.” ~ Frank Lanzillo, participant in a focus group of Trump supporters, on Barack Obama.

it's cool that as a public figure you can openly fantasize about torturing and lynching a black man, who is also the goddamn president, in TYOOL 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Eschers Basement posted:

I really don't understand why people here are salivating over no one winning the nomination on the first ballot, I mean what could

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mckaycoppins/the-secret-plan-to-nominate-mitt-romney-from-the-convention#.aoRZYvpr5v

:gizz:

why the gently caress would they pick romney and not rubio?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Captain_Maclaine posted:

If you define "Spitting distance" as anything better than a Reagan-Mondale or Nixon-McGovern level electoral blowout then yes, :mitt: did come awfully close.

the GOP could nominate a bag of cement and get 180 EVs, a blowout like that just isn't possible in 2016's electoral environment

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Logikv9 posted:

Cruz's moderation is the worst thing he could've done. I look forward to Rubio 2016.

this primary is syrian civil war levels of attrition and mutual destruction. this is amazing

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Posner

quote:

In June 2013, Posner and Jameel Jaffer, fellow at the Open Society Foundations, participated in the New York Times's Room for Debate series.[11] Posner responded to concerns about expanded National Security Agency (NSA) programs that vacuum information about the private lives of American citizens. Those who oppose the surveillance claim that the collection and storing of unlimited metadata is a highly invasive form of surveillance of citizens' communications. Posner claimed that Americans obtain the services they want by disclosing private information to strangers such as "the market services of doctors, insurance companies, Internet service providers, employers, therapists and the rest, or the nonmarket services of the government like welfare and security." Posner argued that, since 2001 there has not been an incident in which the United States government used information "obtained for security purposes with "war-on-terror-related surveillance" technologies to "target a political opponent, dissenter or critic."[11]

oh yeah, plus

quote:

As of 2014, he was the 4th most-cited legal scholar in the United States.[2]

:barf::barf::barf:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

so wait a minute, what bad is happening here? expired tax cuts are made "permanant"? they're already expired, what difference would that make?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Joementum posted:

Tax cuts and credits that were going to expire at the end of the year now have no expiration date. This benefits people who pay taxes who tend to be wealthy. In some cases it benefits things Democrats like, for instance tax credits for commuter transport and green energy.

still seems irrelevant to me. if the Rs are going to use threats of shutdown every 6 months like clockwork they would just get the tax cuts extended when they were set to expire anyways. it's not like the Ds would have the congressional strength to block making them permanent in a year anyways

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Kro-Bar posted:

Are most universities really this bad at food service? I went to school in Oklahoma and even our poo poo school made an effort to have legitimate international food in the food courts.

my university fairly regularly served "pork lo mein" which in reality was spaghetti noodles with bits of ham in it

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Gail Wynand posted:

When it comes to alcoholism, blind nationalism, and misogyny, they're definitely up there!

japan's fascism is more institutionalized but also lazier and more lethargic. korea's is vibrant and popular, and less institutionalized only because there's less of a governmental institution to begin with outside of the Park family

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Joementum posted:

Almost certainly written by MMT-advocate, frequent Naked Capitalism contributor, and Sanders staff Chief Economist Stephanie Kelton.

Good

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Ok, I guess I'm in the minority here but I don't get this -- why put a wet condiment on a regular sandwich? That makes no sense to me. Regular sliced bread is already soft, you're just making your sandwich soggy with it.

Makes no goddamn sense to me. If you're gonna do that, get a denser bread or toast it or something.

mayonnaise is an integral part of white culture

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

So wait has SA now turned into chicago-style austerians in favor of hard money and balanced budgets, just to spite Bernie? what?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

radical meme posted:

Yeah, for young children, baseball is a horribly boring sport; no way around it. But, the reason I love baseball so much is because it's the nerdiest, most geeky sport in the world. Everything about baseball can be explained by math and physics. Look at the huge amount of stats coming out of baseball for enthusiasts to poor over and analyze. Even the trajectory of the ball coming off the bat is determined by the velocity of the ball and the speed and angle of the bat. It's just a huge 9 inning math and physics lesson on display every game.

I have also grown to despise what baseball has become over the years because 70 years after Jackie Robinson, baseball at the amateur and collegiate level is the most segregated sport in America; the small number of black athletes playing the sport in high school and college is a horrible indictment of the sport.

baseball even more than football is the bastion of Real America of the old type, a tobacco-chewing friend of the family-hating sexist old white southern man's dream come true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

GalacticAcid posted:

I've heard this sentiment before but have to conclude it's bullshit. Baseball's biggest concentrations of fans are in places like New York, Boston, Chicago, Pittsburgh, LA ~ it's ridiculous to cast it as a down home Good Old Southron Boy pursuit.

You're right that 'Southern' wasn't the best choice of words, if anything I associate baseball more with classic/pre-1970s major cities in the North. The thing is though, those cities were run white people who were (and still are lots of the time!) incredibly racist. Martin Luther King called Chicago worse than Mississippi after all. Baseball peaked during and was defined by an era of American society which agreed to assimilate 'white ethnics' but still considered blacks, mexicans, asians and women beyond the pale , and that attitude and legacy has stuck with it. So maybe 'old white southern man' isn't accurate, but 'old white pre-70s northern city dweller' is

• Locked thread