Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

zoux posted:

I think Harry Turtledove has a series of books that start with the South winning the war and then following that history all the way through like WW2. I only really remember that they called tanks barrels for some reason.

I haven't read those, but in the real world "tank" was because when the first tanks were still classified wartime projects the cover story was that they were being developed as mobile water tanks for the front. So probably just an "exact terminology differed" sort of AU thing there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

fade5 posted:

If it's white guys who did it then loving nothing will happen, like usual. It'll just be one more depressingly common mass shooting.:smithicide:

Three white guys doing it at once is sure to make a stir of some sort. It just probably won't get the standard wish list of reactionary laws that wouldn't have prevented a typical mass shooting.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

On Terra Firma posted:

Honestly shocked nobody has put forward gun control measures that only apply to muslims today.

I think the "Block gun sales to the no-fly list!" I've seen a lot of lately half-counts here.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

toanoradian posted:

You can't deny someone their Second Amendment rights just because they're a terrorist! That would be terroristist.

It's really amazing how the only thing it takes to send many progressives from rightfully saying "Nebulous anti-terror lists with minimal oversight are an abomination that needs to be dismantled" to "hoo boy let's expand those suckers" is to invoke the NRA.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Kro-Bar posted:

Who loving cares why are you guys talking about this please stop.

I'm not gonna take part in it, but an aging person saying "back in my day you didn't see *thing that happened all the time back in his day*" is always relevant in political discussion.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
Given that oil was a globalized commodity 40 years ago and is even more so today, is allowing or banning exports of it more than a symbolic gesture in any event? I haven't seen an argument one way or the other that didn't feel like either a gross misunderstanding of the oil market or else a thin veneer over "to stick it to those other guys."

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
The central issue is the usual one: progress is the enemy of activism. Or at least acknowledging progress is the enemy. Regardless of whether your actual cause is good or bad, "everything is getting worse we're all doomed unless we act!" is always a much more satisfying narrative for your struggle than "things are moving in the right direction so let's keep going!"

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

computer parts posted:

The narrative we have here though is "everything is getting worse we're all doomed let's drink our sorrows away", which is worse than either.

That too. Though that slides toward the related conspiracy theorist mindset of "everything is outside my control but since I recognize who the REAL bad guy is I can feel morally superior while not having to really do anything but yammer about it".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

SedanChair posted:

American Sniper was a pretty drat blockbuster movie.

It also started limited release in December since they had it in mind as an Oscar candidate to start. December/January is the big divide for whether the producers have big hopes for a movie vs whether they're just dumping it out, even if it's a small release the first few weeks. Is Bayghazi out yet at all, or is it upcoming?

• Locked thread