Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
We have the magic number: 1237

That is the number of delegates needed to win the GOP nomination, per Call of the Convention just issued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

If we are talking Martin Shkreli here, do we also want to talk about the insanity that is Dryvying?

Or should we maybe have a separate thread for this kind of insane bullshit?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

Pack it in everybody, unknown radio show host said he saw it too.

Hey now, the villain from the Police Academy movies is hardly unknown

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

It's hard to cut Obama slack when he's been actively opposing sending in any significant amount of force to directly confront ISIS. It's not just 'he's doing something he said he wasn't', he has repeatedly said it's the objectively wrong thing to do.
Carrier groups: not a significant about of force

Alternatively: paging fade5 to the thread please, fade5 to the thread

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Do you think Rahm Emanuel should resign as well? The dirty on him is that he used his power to delay the release of the video so that it wouldn't interfere in his reelection.

On one hand, idle gossip. On the other, it's Rahm Emmanuel.

Does "be hanged from the nearest lamppost until dead, while small children taunt him and throw stones at him as he struggles against slow strangulation" count as resign? If so, yes.

Rahm has actively helped this poo poo happen, and is actively destroying what little worked for the poor while directly gifting the results from said destruction to the rich. gently caress him.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

FCKGW posted:

Yeah, seriously. Something fundamentally changed around the firing of Ellen Pao and the whole rhetoric around that. I think a lot of the more moderate users just got fed up with all the poo poo being pushed to the front page around that time, all the people who flooded the entire site with posts about Ellen Pao, FatPeopleHate and all the "Chimpire" stuff being banned. Those users left and never came back. Also since Pao got canned, a lot of the more vocal shitheads on Reddit felt vindicated because they got what they want and now they feel like they can just run the place and put up any garbage they want.

What I'm saying is that Reddit has always been a garbage fire but ever since the shitstorm earlier this year things have gotten much, much worse.

More like right after Pao was tossed they banned the explicit hate groups, which lead to "no, gently caress YOU dad!" of the racists going more explicit everywhere else and getting more shitbirds to come roll on the filth.

In a macro scale it is that the economy has been crashing out and the weakening of privilege doesn't offer the protection from that it used to, so you have a lot of very angry formerly middle class people. Mix that with identity being the name of the game in these individualism-as-marketing days you end up with more ethno-populism than broad based ideological coalitions. Oh, and the mainstreaming of white supremacism during this time as hatred of Muslims and Obama got cranked up and now Trump's rhetoric.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Thump! posted:

To be fair, GiP kinda transcends irony and places it on a whole new pedestal. It's hard to say what's real down there.

Dogge thread is real

Post dogges

Pette dogges

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Republican House and Senate have just agreed to a $305 bln 5-year highway bill

Reminder that Hillary announced her $275 B 5-year plan the other day

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

JT Jag posted:

And the poison pill is...

Reauthorizes the IM-EX Bank, does not raise the gas tax

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Btw how did we not have someone dig up a gif or video of Scott Walker face planting last night at WI's lighting ceremony? Per his people he had been "nipping into the eggnog" (and it showed) before hand

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

JT Jag posted:

And the poison pill is...

Found it:

Banks with <= $10B in consolidated assets (indexed to inflation) get a guaranteed 6% dividend from the Federal Reserve (this was set to shrink to 1.5%)

For banks with >= $10B in consolidated assets (indexed to inflation) replaces the 1.5% rate with the smaller of either the rate equal to the high yield of the 10 year treasury note or 6%

So a massive handout to the banks and the return of the IM-EX bank are the poison pills, big handouts to the rich

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

The Navy.....has its share. Don't be fooled.
We had a Muslim guy in our department. Some of the more vehement right wingers (going by what they post to Facebook now) decided to throw his prayer rug overboard

He got another, ended up keeping it in a storage space he had a key to that most couldn't get to. I never saw him pull it from there to use though.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

Oh dear.

(Yes, it's real.)

Let's take a moment and marvel that Clinton's team has elected to put Rosa Parks in the back of the bus in this image

foobardog posted:

God, Clinton is really so lucky that she is up against the GOP Klownpanzer. Sure, she has really done good at showing she is quite capable and politically adept, but her attempts to reach out to the more left part of the base feels so much like pandering.

When she reaches out to the left her hand is just extending 1 finger. Literally today she ended up to the right of the GOP on infrastructure spending. She already jumped back from the FAMILY act and is doing her own version of the anti tax pledge

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

McDowell posted:

Conservatives don't want to ban contraception- They just accept public schools providing misinformation and prudish social norms making them a hassle to acquire.

Was it Sheldon Adelson who said that 'in my day birth control was for a woman to take a aspirin and keep it between her knees'?

Foster Friess

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

Dems and GOP talks have resulted in a $300 billion bill that injects some badly needed money into the highway system that is crumbling, but takes some money out of the Fed and the Strategic Petroleum Reserve in order to do it. A deal was also reached to reopen the Ex/Im Bank.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/02/u...v=top-news&_r=0

If you ever want an example of how horrible the Norquist "no taxes" pledge is, this is a great example. Rather than do a slight tax increase to fund this, an expenditure that we know we will more than recoup in long term gains, we are selling off part of the strategic reserve. So 1) we are selling oil for money not when it is high and has great value, but when it is screaming down and 2) we are tapping our strategic reserves to do a mundane activity rather than preserve it for our strategic advantage, even as we engage in hostile actions in the large oil producing region and are dealing with an escalating expansionist oil power (Russia)

So we take a bath on a deal that hobbles our strategic position, all because they don't want to put a 5 cents/gal tax on gas and face the wrath of a group organized about an idea someone came up with in high school

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

The idea behind this is based on historical hindsight: the industrial revolution would have changed up economics and manufacturing so much that slavery would no longer have been a feasible backbone for the Southern economy and they would have had to either adapt or collapse.

It's also largely BS, as the Southeners only ever had plans to expand slavery at the time.

Also because productivity from the slaves was being increased throughout and was at its peak when the system was destroyed.

The Half Has Never Been Told goes into a lot of detail about this and about how the North's economy and our Western expansion were tightly tied to the slave trade. Basically slave backed debts served the same role as mortgages do today as the underpinnings of financial instruments

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

McDowell posted:

Didn't the CSA have aspirations of conquering Mexico/South America and establishing a White Supremacist Empire?

Yes. They were quite explicit about this

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Speaking of the Confederacy, let's talk Lincoln

How Lincoln Played the Press (a review of Lincoln and the Power of the Press: The War for Public Opinion by Harold Holzer)

quote:

On one occasion, in 1841, that happened—and it involved not only Lincoln but his fiancée Mary Todd. The two had collaborated on a series of scurrilous letters from a fictitious “Rebecca” that vilified James Shields, a rising candidate in the Democratic Party (he would later be elected a senator three times from three different states). The fake Rebecca, who claimed Shields was a former beau, mocked his Irish origin and declared him “a fool as well as a liar…. With him truth is out of the question, and as for getting a good bright passable lie out of him, you might as well try to strike fire from a cake of tallow.”

Shields stormed into the office of the Sangamo Journal, demanding that the editor, Simeon Francis, tell him who was behind the Rebecca letters. When Francis asked Lincoln what he should do, Lincoln, in order to shield his Mary, took sole responsibility (without admitting he wrote anything). Shields challenged him to a duel, and they actually met on the dueling ground—but Lincoln, as the one receiving the challenge, had the right to choice of weapons. When he called for broadswords, this gave him, with his long and strong right arm, a ludicrous advantage, and the fight was called off. Though Mary liked to recollect how her own beau had stood up for her, Lincoln cut off any later attempts to remember this episode—perhaps (though Holzer does not mention this) because Shields, vilified by “Rebecca,” became a Union officer when Lincoln was president, and was wounded at the Battle of Kernstown. There was a real duel after all.

This guy really was our best President

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Unzip and Attack posted:

Had a lecturer (Eric Foner)at my University a couple years back tell that same story about Lincoln and the duel, except that he said he chose wood axes. Either way it's still next level poo poo.

I originally heard it as Mary Todd wrote the letters herself, Lincoln took the heat because women weren't supposed to work at the time (Abe gave no fucks) and he picked Scottish claymores.

But yeah, next level poo poo

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

zoux posted:

So they just had swords sitting around in mid 19th century America?

Do you not?

anyways, after that anecdote about Lincoln, here's one about Christie

quote:

But fueled by voter fears about ISIS after the attacks in Paris — and a subsequent boost from the largest paper in one of the key early primary states — New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie is focusing on terrorism.

At a standing-room only town hall inside the firehouse in tiny Loudon, N.H., the crowd took the Pledge of Allegiance facing a poster of firefighters raising the American flag at the World Trade Center site on Sept. 11, 2001. And it was fear of another such attack that hung heavy over Christie's 36th town hall meeting here.

"Our world war is happening right now, has been happening," said Christie as he opened the town hall. "You and I all in this room all know, all understand, that a couple of weeks ago this campaign changed dramatically."

Jesus, what has the GOP come to? You know, I don't like them, but I still want to see the party recover if for no other reason than eventually they will win again and I'd rather the country not burn to ashes as a result. Eisenhower wasn't that long ago guys.

Here, have a really good article about struggling southerners trying to organize a Chinese factory in Alabama

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

GalacticAcid posted:

Jacobin has a lovely rep on these forums but they published a fantastic interview with Foner in their Civil War + Reconstruction issue.

Eric Foner is fantastic and everyone should read his books and articles

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Uh oh

This better not be as bad as it sounds.

Police are looking for 3 white males in military gear. Per fox11 los angeles

"Early news reports are almost uniformly wrong" disclaimer applies

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

zoux posted:

I'm not even trying to follow this for a few hours, there's no way to tell what is good and what is bad info.

Same, I'm now at the point where when it happens I unplug just to both be away from the evil and to get clear information.

Gotta say though, really strange target for any of the usual motivations.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

haveblue posted:

Soon we will reach the mass shooting event horizon where mass shootings are so frequent they overlap with each other and we have continuous, endless mass shooting all across america forever

We are 334 days into the year and have had 351 mass shootings. We are already there

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

"Fun" fact - in Utah the waiting period for an abortion is longer than the waiting period for a gun

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

So we missed it yesterday by Alan Grayson's senate campaign hit a rough patch - the campaign manager, deputy campaign manager, and senior adviser all left the campaign

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Starting to feel desensitized to the violence? Let me help with that - the location had their Christmas party yesterday

This is what someone just shot up.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Teflon Don posted:

Happy holidays!

So this is Christmas!
And what have you done?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Oh hey, someone asked about these events overlapping?

A lot of confused reports coming out from Community North hospital in Indianapolis about someone with a gun and / or a shooter there

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Indianapolis has updated about the situation at the hospital, not an active shooter, now someone with a gun on the premises related to a robbery

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Watch as it turns out that these are actual ISIS terrorists. And then the country loses its mind.

I can't even fathom how bad things will get if (when) there is another high profile attack on American soil. If ISIS hit us now this entire country will go straight loving insane.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

LionYeti posted:

Is it time to have a US Mass Shootings thread, this is happening often enough to deserve it.

You act like this is the second one today!

(It is. This is the second mass shooting today.)

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

Haven't heard anything personally but will be following closely as I know a couple people who work in the ER there :\

Apparently it was an armed robbery in the parking lot and people and the Indianapolis press, already primed by what is happening in California, spun out really fast with over the top rumors.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Someone post that OTM image again

Unplug from the news feeds and speculation people. Go spend some time with a loved one or pet instead. The nightmare will still be here when you get back, and we will have more information so we can respond then. Now it is just the living incarnation of "fear is the mindkiller", keeping you from being able to think.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

JT Jag posted:

The biggest reason I'm confident this isn't an ISIS thing is that an ISIS fighter usually wouldn't take such pains to conceal their identity and get away.

Salah Abdeslam is still free

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

RusteJuxx posted:

What could Obama do, even in a legally grey area way, to in someway address gun control? Is there anything he can do via executive order that might help even a little?

Drone strike the NRA, extraordinary rendition for half of K street, a series of "accidents" for the Kochs and their friends.

That's about it.

Sandy Hook was the watershed moment here, once society decided it was more ok with 20 dead kindergarteners than with any sort of gun control the debate was over

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 2, 2015

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

At this point it is all speculation until we learn more about the group that was hit or catch the shooter(s)

Go get a beer folks

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

The San Bernadino police chief says he doesn't know if this was an act of "traditional terrorism." It could be "domestic terrorism." As we all know, if it's a legitimate form of terrorism, etc etc

That is one hell of a euphemism

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Anchor Wanker posted:

It's a loving nightmare scenario. Like man, I've got a horrible feeling that an attack is inevitable and we're just counting down the days before we shut out the refugees and throw all our Muslims (and probably sihks) into internment camps.

It loving sucks being too young to get booze.

Counterpoint, you are young enough to easily get pot

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Black witness says driver of car "Looked like a regular white dude to me" and described him as "A terrorist, y'know, as we call them in the United States"

I want to buy this dude a beer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

• Locked thread