Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yes. It's really not as interesting as you might think by dint of Turtledove basically find-and-replace-ing his way through WWI and WWII, except with American locales.

Yeah, Turtledove's real AH wheelhouse is his Agent of Byzantium series, since he's got a Ph.D. on the subject. Everything else is a little more :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

A lot of people have fond memories of their first lovely job down at the local movie theater or what have you when they were 16. "Builds character" and stuff like that. You might be able to get people behind banning industrial work under 18, but there's no way in hell you'll ever get people behind banning farm labor-- too many rural teenagers grow up working on their parents' or a nearby farm. Even before sixteen, too. It's a weird grey area I don't think the law even looks at much.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Hey NPR, I hope you're as open to listening to others as you claim your listeners are, because I've got some news for you you're not going to like to hear...

Not that this is at all surprising considering how tightly their leash is held by Republicans in Congress.

EDIT: Remember, waterboarding isn't torture if Republicans disagree.

Ah, Glenn Greenwald, my favorite completely correct raging rear end in a top hat.

NPR is pretty good as US news sources go but would be a lot better with a guaranteed source of funding not dependent on Republicans in Congress deciding graciously to permit their continued existence, despite obviously being Liberal Satan, or upon Viewers Like Us.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

So that bad Idaho school district that fired the lunch lady came out with a press release. Basically, we didn't do anything wrong, the lady was totally doing lots of bad things we can't tell you about, and also there aren't any hungry kids at our school because we use Republican Jesus-approved methods of making them pick themselves up by their bootstraps. But also she can have her job back since apparently everyone hates us now

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Aside from the one with the cell phone video of the officer just straight-up shooting the guy in the back (I have lost track of the unjustified shootings at this point so I forget which one that was), this was pretty much the slam-dunkiest of the cases, and the one where strenuous protests were most thoroughly justified. So whelp. :shrug:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Evil Fluffy posted:

We've bombed people in other countries for doing less harm than this to US citizens. Nothing's going to be done to these fuckers and it's insane. How the hell is Loretta Lynch not unleashing the DoJ on these assholes?

The DOJ is a slow-burner. It builds cases over months and years, and only makes them public once it has built a slam-dunk. For the same reason, it's very limited in how many cases it can realistically bring. A case may well get quietly dropped because a different one will be more of a sure thing, and won't be as risky when it comes to political capital. For sure there are cases being built right now about several police departments, but we're unlikely to hear much unless/until they're ready to call down fire from heaven.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Aerox posted:

Is this some normal Christian/conservative term, because this is the first time I've seen it used like this and it sounds really loving creepy.

He's definitely using Evangelical vocabulary; "sacrificial gift" is the term often used for Jesus's death on the cross, or for pastors asking for money in the offering plate. This is the first time I've seen it used for a political campaign. :staredog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Chutzpah!

My vote is earned.

• Locked thread