Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Joementum posted:

The amendment is agreed to 90-10.

We now move to the Shaheen (D-NH) amendment to expand medicaid and health plan coverage to treat substance abuse and mental health.

I think this means I get to keep my government healthcare plan into the time that the rest of the healthcare system has collapsed into a hellscape to let us try at single payer again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

My unimportant opinion is that if background checks actually did what they theoretically were supposed to, and were applied to say, everyone. There wouldn't be any constitutional concerns.

Also we should have levels of gun expertise and the more you're an expert the increasing complexity of the firearms you own are.

So for example if you're an advocate for the 2nd amendment based on your technical expertise of firearms, you should only be able to wield smart guns and 1900's style crew artillery.

I have now solved America :patriot:

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

On Terra Firma posted:

A small town in North Carolina rejected solar power for a totally rational reason.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...n-a6771526.html

Retired science teacher. My loving god. :suicide:

You know this would explain a lot if the GOP faithful think Obama is trying to bring about a literal thousand years of darkness.

How our society has failed so badly that this could happen is another point of discussion but it would explain some things.

e:

That article comments posted posted:

It's called the "shadow effect".

Solar systems generate energy and create shade. Solar Aspect helps make a site economic.

The reporter seems to be "itching to be smarter than you" by making the retired science teacher look stupid.

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 13, 2015

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Aliquid posted:

The difference between HuffPo and NPR's answers is really striking

I agree, the NPR answer is terrible and the funny thing is all the GOP supporters tearing into them for being anti trump.

Gee NPR you're sure informing people!

quote:

Interview Highlights

Susan Glasser, editor of Politico

"I think our role is to play referee, is to provide independent, critical thinking — but not critical news reporting on this. We have an opinion section," Glasser says. "Everybody has an opinion about Donald Trump. So our role isn't to do that. It's to provide original reporting."

She puts it simply: "If you want to call him a racist, you can call him a racist. But it's not our job to inform your use of adjectives."

Ryan Grim, Washington bureau chief of The Huffington Post

"We have a certain obligation," Grim says. "When we see a strain of hate- and fear-mongering rising to a certain level, the press does have an obligation to try to call that out and point out what it is that's happening."

Grim adds: "The idea that you would block all Muslims — including American citizens — from coming into the United States is not just absurd, it's not just unconstitutional. It's evil, and it's fascist. And it's OK to go ahead and say that, and in fact, media organizations ought to."

Michael Oreskes, senior vice president of news and editorial director of NPR

"I think our rules are really quite clear — and what they're based on is actually our bond with our audience, not the relationship to the candidates. I don't actually worry too much about fairness to Donald Trump, but I do worry a lot about the tone of our journalism," Oreskes says.

"Our job is to be open to as many different kinds of listeners and readers as we possibly can reach, and the more you sound like you're calling someone a name, the less people will listen to you."

The bottom line, Oreskes says: "Our moral role in society is to provide as much information to as many people as is possible."

Bitch rear end is more concerned about listenership than the loving sensationalist huffpo. I mean seriously.

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 15, 2015

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

That's an insult to the Spiral King :argh:

He triumphantly beat despair instead of politicised rear end kicking.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Controlling machines to deliver objects at high speed where the average judgement of the general populace is what we're counting on for people to not die is unnatural and the result of technology availability out pacing societal development and common sense.

Yes I'm deliberately referring to more than one thing here.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Talibananas posted:

If someone attempts to murder a bunch of people and fails, should they be sentenced less than one who succeeds? If so, is it because they are less of a danger to society or because their punishment would do less to deter others from similar attempts or ??

The laws and regulations of society should exist and be designed with the intent of protecting the commons from free radicals. :science:

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

FAUXTON posted:

The problem with a detailed public audit is that complex financial instruments are being exposed to the scrutiny of loving idiots with power. I trust the fed, even assuming the worst of what you say, over the possibility of the fuckers of the tortilla coast shattering the bedrock of the global financial system because they are too dim to figure out how sovereign finance works on a basic level.

Remember, there's people who are smarter than the average congress critter believe this poo poo

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Aliquid posted:

lol, Professor of History at Hillsdale college

quote:

4.0 out of 5 stars
Extremely enlighenting
By Kindle Customer on February 7, 2013
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
This is a book that describes better the realities of the Robber Barons of the early 20th century than many of the things that I encountered in school and also while biased in its own way gives a different way of looking at things that fall better into a logic pattern than the idea that the robber barons were just greedy and destroyed things. When you look at ford is plants hired millions the same with many of the others. The towns they built in prospered and standard of living increased, while there were poor we do not always know what made those people poor. I know people today that are poor but you do not see them trying to better their station. There have been people that found ways out of poverty to become huge successes, look at Ophra Winfrey as a prime example.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I dunno I'm just a small time government worker but it seems to me economics is pretty simple if your criteria is "does this policy encourage the existence of a ruling class over us?

For all the hero worship people make of the Founding Fathers people seem to miss the theoretical point of the War of Independence.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

It makes sense that the founders are a big deal in the USA since the Constitution is the bedrock of the government - moreso than many nations - and they wrote that. So there's a definite moral authority that anyone and everyone can draw on.

Of course, much like everything else they touch, the far right has muddled the facts beyond recognition and added deific veneration on top of everything else.

Someone could create pictures of the founding fathers with right wing media heads but then people would start using it un-ironically.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

If there's a separation of powers concern with congress being spied on perhaps congress shouldn't be authorizing unrestricted spying on American citizens. Being a member of Congress shouldn't be a privileged class over other American citizens.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Rygar201 posted:

This isn't even what happened though. The NSA was spying on foreign officials, it's literal purpose, and those officials happened to communicate with Congressmen. Like, it's literally the NSA working as intended.

I don't disagree, I am just exercising my rarely relevant egalitarian leaning that Congress deserves whatever nonsense they inflict on themselves since they usually insulate themselves from consequences.

I'm not convinced that the NSA should exist at all as an offensive agency however.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Dapper_Swindler posted:

as a very minor character. its about the brave sellswords who tried to save them or some poo poo.

I can't wait until next seasons feature film where Captain Blackwater finds the WMD's in Iraq and then Obama melts away like the witch in the Wizard of Oz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Joementum posted:

Do you mean Professor Warren?

Lets not start pretending we respect intelligentsia.

• Locked thread