Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Mr Interweb posted:

Ugh. I was watching my local channel 7 news and they ran a segment that was indistinguishable from something you'd see on Fox. This "congressional reporter" got a hold of some stupid report by a Republican who found $100 billion in "government waste" and said she wasn't able to find a single person who could defend the things in it (you know, the typical high-lariously useless sounding projects that conservatives love to tout like $5 million on mating habits of fruit flies and such). It was so Fox News-y that they even had lovely stock music playing in the background signifying how shady and wasteful the government is. The "reporter" ends the segment by saying that the "American people shouldn't expect answers any time soon".

I know you aren't the one asking the question, but if you know how fruit flies mate you might be able to figure out a way to interupt them and therefore reduce their populations and spoilage. So $5 million in scientific research may save billions over the years in lost production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

greatn posted:

How do these motherfuckers keep getting radicalized? You were born in the USA and had a cushy loving govt job. What the gently caress is your problem! You have a wife and kids and live in a god drat gentrified area and get to do whatever the gently caress you want!

How the gently caress do you fall for some imam from good knows where taking you hey how bout killing some folks?

Yet when you travel for your cushy job, you are always the one "randomly selected" for an extra security check. On the Internet (and perhaps also in public) you are called "Mohammed", the enemy, or a towel-head. And in the public debate you hear people advocating the wholesale genocide of your parents' homeland by "glassing the Middle East". Although you have lived your whole life in the USA it feels hostile to you. And you do love your grandma and cousins back in the old country and want to protect them.

Basically the right wing hate machine is ISIS's recruiting department.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Fried Chicken posted:

http://www.npr.org/2015/12/09/458973053/cruz-wont-criticize-trump-but-offers-his-own-plan-to-bar-refugees

NPR posted:

INSKEEP: Let's go on to the other subject very briefly here. We've used so much time, I don't want to use more than a couple of minutes here. But you're on your way, as we're talking, to a hearing on climate change.

CRUZ: Yes.

INSKEEP: "Data or dogma" is part of the question you pose in the name of the hearing. What do you think about what is seen as a broad scientific consensus that there is man-caused climate change?

CRUZ: Well, I believe that public policy should follow the science and follow the data.

I am the son of two mathematicians and computer programmers and scientists. In the debate over global warming, far too often, politicians in Washington, and for that matter a number of scientists receiving large government grants, disregard the science and data and instead push political ideology.

And — and let's step back for a minute. You and I are both old enough to remember 30, 40 years ago, when at the time we were being told by liberal politicians and some scientists that the problem was global cooling —

INSKEEP: There was a moment when some people said that.

CRUZ: — that we were facing the threat —

INSKEEP: But the raw scientific consensus has been building for decades.

CRUZ: — that we were facing the threat of an incoming ice age, and their solution to this problem is that we needed massive government control of the economy, the energy sector and every aspect of our lives. But then, as you noted, the data didn't back that up. What they were saying was disproven by the evidence. The Earth was not cooling.

So then many of those same liberal politicians and a number of those same scientists switched their theory to global warming. You know, I joked yesterday that, that the graphs they had with the temperatures going down, I think maybe they just turned them upside down and used the very same graphs. And so that became their theory, that, that, that global warming was the problem.

INSKEEP: This is a conspiracy, then, in your view.

CRUZ: No. This is — this is liberal politicians who want government power, and they will accept any excuses. Rahm Emanuel, Barack Obama's chief of staff, said you never want to waste a good crisis. So their theory became global warming, and their solution, interestingly enough, was the identical solution they'd advocated before. It was massive government control over the economy, the energy sector and every aspect of our lives. Now —

INSKEEP: And almost all the countries in the world have joined into this approach?

CRUZ: So, so let me ask you a question, Steve. Is there global warming, yes or no?

INSKEEP: According to the scientists —

CRUZ: I'm asking you.

INSKEEP: — absolutely. Sure.

CRUZ: OK. You are incorrect, actually. The scientists don't say there's global warming

I listened to this and the next part REALLY pissed me off.

quote:

CRUZ: OK. You are incorrect, actually. The scientists don't say there's global warming now. They're shifted their theory a third time, because here's the problem: The scientific evidence doesn't support global warming.

For the last 18 years, the satellite data — we have satellites that, that monitor the atmosphere — the computer models on which all of these apocalyptic predictions were based show that we should have seen dramatic warming over the last 18 years. The satellites that actually measure the temperature showed no significant warming whatsoever.

INSKEEP: I'll just note that NASA analyzes that same data differently, but we can go on.

Come on, Steve! Doesn't Cruz's 18 year range seem oddly specific? Ask him about trends over 10 years, 20 years, or 100 years. The 18 years is specifically chosen as it starts with an El Nino year that was anomalous even for our general warming trend. So the temperature spiked for his start year, dropped back down the next, but continued it's normal upward trend so now what was anomalous 18 years ago is normal. So looking at the two data points you can claim no change, but start at ANY OTHER YEAR and then we have warming....

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Muscle Tracer posted:

what is the distinction between a ratfucking and a regular old loving?

Here's the reference in "All The President's Men" http://www.criticalcommons.org/Members/ccManager/clips/donald-segretti-scene-from-all-the-presidents-men/view

Ratfucking was a term for the dirty tricks used in campaigning for student body President at USC, and later employed by Nixon's CREEP.

• Locked thread