Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Ugh. I was watching my local channel 7 news and they ran a segment that was indistinguishable from something you'd see on Fox. This "congressional reporter" got a hold of some stupid report by a Republican who found $100 billion in "government waste" and said she wasn't able to find a single person who could defend the things in it (you know, the typical high-lariously useless sounding projects that conservatives love to tout like $5 million on mating habits of fruit flies and such). It was so Fox News-y that they even had lovely stock music playing in the background signifying how shady and wasteful the government is. The "reporter" ends the segment by saying that the "American people shouldn't expect answers any time soon".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Edmund Lava posted:

I think I saw the same report. It mentioned 30k to fund research into senior dating habits. You know the population with the largest increase in STDs over the last decade. Can't think how that would be helpful.

Yup, that was the one!

Mitt Romney posted:

This is the author of that "report".

That sounds about right.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Have any of you read the New New Deal, by Michael Grunwald? I'm like 50 pages in and it's pretty drat interesting.

AlternateNu posted:

I'm trying to find the Pew article I read earlier in the year, but I believe it fell something like the most liberal branch was the Navy with a 48%/52% Lib/Con split and the worst was the Army with a 35%/65% split with the Air Force not far behind. Marines were surprisingly liberal mainly because there is a comparatively high percentage of minorities but still fell way behind the Navy.

Yup, the Army figure coincides pretty well with a poll from the Military Times I saw a couple of months back as well. A former good friend of mine since high school was in the army for a few years (stationed in either Louisiana or Alabama...or both I guess?) and said that the base had right-wing radio and Fox News playing all the time. Depressing, but made sense.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

zoux posted:

Well, looks like Trump was right about the 9/11 videos and we were all fools.

Not sure if it was already covered, but the guy in that video himself says that Trump is full of poo poo. :lol:

But this is truly an amazing conspiracy theory, even by Republican standards. Supposedly THOUSANDS of MUSLIMS were cheering in New Jersey after 9/11, and yet we cannot find a single source corroborating this claim. One of Trump's idiot advisers tried to defend him by saying that we didn't have camera phones at the time (We had tons of footage of 9/11 but whatever) Now even if that was the case, if what Trump is claiming is in fact correct, presumably he didn't see these people celebrate up close and personal. He says he saw it on T.V. or whatever. So if that's the case, that means someone somewhere must have recorded such a thing, so why is that footage not been discovered yet?

But here's the biggest hole in Trump's claim. So again, supposedly THOUSANDS AND THOUSAND OF MUSLIMS were celebrating after 9/11 in New Jersey, and for some strange inexplicable reason, every single major right-wing, conservative, pro-Republican news outlet in the entire country decided to ignore it?

Man, the liberal media runs loving deep, don't it?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Holy poo poo, this was still on? I thought it ended 15 years ago. What time slot has it been airing?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

This must be an issue of conservative word play at work here, cause don't right-wingers constantly bitch about birth control pills? That was one of the reasons they went after Sandra Fluke so hard.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Don't conservatives say that birth control pills are abortificents? I swear I heard someone like Santorum say that. And many others as well.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Hmm. So he thinks they're harmful but has no abortion related objections to birth control pills?

So what do conservatives consider abortificents? I might have been confusing it with birth control pills but I swear I've seen them use the term to describe something related to birth control.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

there wolf posted:

Plan B. If you want give them the benefit of the doubt, they might be confusing it with Mifepristone which is an abortifacient but can be used to halt ovulation before fertilization the same way Plan B does. But this is the group that when the whole Sandra Fluke thing went down, had an alarming number of members who seemed to think that regular birth control pills was only taken when you had sex... Basically the narrative in pro-life circles is that all emergency contraceptive has the potential to block implantation (there is no evidence of this) and is therefore killing babies.

Wait, I'm confused. If the pill (Plan B) blocks implantation, then there's no baby that starts to get formed, so how is it killing babies? I mean, this is before the process starts, so if they don't have any abortion related issues with regular birth control pills, what's the distinction?

Fried Chicken posted:

So we take a bath on a deal that hobbles our strategic position, all because they don't want to put a 5 cents/gal tax on gas and face the wrath of a group organized about an idea someone came up with in high school

Middle school, actually:

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/qzl2j5/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-grover-norquist-s-taxpayer-protection-pledge

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 2, 2015

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Okay, so if I have this right:

- regular birth control pills prevent the sperm and egg combining to form a zygote, which is (grudgingly) supposed to be okay by pro-life folk.
- Plan B supposed to (or at least the pro-life folk claim it) stop the zygote from implanting in the uterus, which is NOT okay with the pro-life folk?

If so, then one question I have: I could be wrong here, but doesn't failed implantation happen quite often, naturally?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Wait, we're JUST finding out what the ethnicity of he shooters were? Didn't this happen in the morning?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Aerox posted:

HOW IS JEB! SO BAD AT THIS!?!??!

https://vine.co/v/iWPBPK2UpgX

Holy poo poo :lol:

Where is this from?

edit: Oh it's fake. Boo :/

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Dec 6, 2015

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Okay that makes more sense. I thought it was a little strange to see a Republican audience react negatively to someone doing harm to Hillary (or any woman really).

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Man, watching this video is such a reminder at how horrible the Democrats were in the 90s. Supporting the idea that violent video games lead to murder, the de-regulation binge, all the lovely pieces of "tough on crime" legislation, welfare "reform" with Bill adding insult to injury saying the "era of big government is over".

Not only that, but it's cause of the Clintons (and the Gores) that Power Rangers had to tone down its rock soundtrack because they complained that it sounded too "aggressive". :argh:

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Dec 15, 2015

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

FetusSlapper posted:

I wanted Reagan to win when I was 6 because I thought the name "Mondale" sounded like some kind of nerd. I want to say Alex P Keaton may have influenced me as well.

When I was in 2nd grade, I supported H.W. over Clinton cause the word "Republican" sounded nicer than Democrat.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

So I was reading an article that mentioned how the new spending bill extended solar and wind tax credits, which is good. However, it also said that solar penetration in the U.S. is less than half a loving percent?! How the hell is it so low? Haven't we had solar for decades now? :psyduck:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

fishmech posted:

The US produces assloads of energy. That 0.4% of total US electricity production is still 16.37 billion kilowatthours. And wind is far more popular and productive.

Here's what the whole picture is:

Coal = 39%
Natural gas = 27%
Nuclear = 19%
Hydropower = 6%
Other renewables = 7% {Biomass = 1.7% Geothermal = 0.4% Solar = 0.4% Wind = 4.4%}
Petroleum = 1%
Other gases < 1%

The total is 4 trillion kilowatthours of production for 2014.

So solar's actually doing pretty good then?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Can I get some suggestions on books dealing with corporate corruption?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Does anyone know where one can find monthly job losses/gains by state?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Stereotype posted:

I googled "monthly job losses/gains by state"

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/cewbd.t06.htm

they have lots of statistics there

I saw that too, but I need something that can give me parameters for dates and such.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

quote:

@KateAronoff: Prosecutor McGinty says Rice should have known better before playing in the park, because he "looked older"

:psyboom: This guy deserves a major beatdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Berke Negri posted:

That the vilerat movie is not actually about the people who died but quasi-fictional American soldiers* who didn't do anything is pretty fitting.

:lol: Seriously? I mean, I guess I shouldn't be surprised but still...

Epic High Five posted:

If they thought it wasn't a lovely, forgettable movie they'd be releasing it in July

Eh...that movie about the dude who bragged about shooting black people during Katrina was also released around this time and made bank. And we also had that new alien movie that came out two weeks ago which is doing pretty well too.

• Locked thread