Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Probably a super noob thing, but I figured I'd ask this thread as I have no idea how to go about this, or if I even can.

In February 2014, I moved out of my apartment complex. There were many issues, but the biggest included saying I didn't pay them rent three different months in the one year I lived there (I did pay them). The third time they sent me an eviction notice. When I furiously went into their office, my rent check was buried under paperwork on their desk and they merely said "oops." This was a full fledged management company too, not some lovely landlord.

I told them to take my security deposit when I moved out for the final month. The woman on the phone said not a problem. When I went in the next day, the woman working said "I've never heard of anybody doing that." Good sign. I had her look into it, and she said I was all set, and took my keys. I never received my deposit back as it went towards that final month. Flash forward three months and out of the blue I receive a letter from collections requesting $700 (about half of what I gave them for a deposit, they took the whole thing). I immediately called and they said I owed for the last month even though I had paid with a security deposit. I told them the situation and they said "Sorry, already went to collections. Not our problem." This is Pheasant Run Apartments owned by Princeton Properties in Nashua, NH by the way, just so you never make the mistake of living there.

I essentially refused to pay this and kept fighting with them. At a certain point I was basically recommended to just pay it, and collections gave me 50% off because of course they did. I had just started my first adult job with a not-great salary. So I paid it at that price.

Flash forward to now. I make above average household income for NH, and live in a rented house for $1450 a month. It wasn't an issue getting the house, but in terms of credit limits (I don't have money on credit cards, but my limit is still $1000 from when I was a college student), and some other things. This stupid derogatory mark is holding me back. Is there anything I can do to resolve all of this and not be hosed for the next 6 years?

Tl;dr A lovely apartment company gave money I didn't owe them to collections without notifying me first, and now I have a derogatory mark on my credit. Collections was still paid. I know this doesn't help, but worth noting. Thanks for your help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

You should not have paid collections and you should have looked at the collections thread for how to get out of it. I don't think there is a way to rectify it anymore.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Going forward, get everything in writing when it comes to anything contractual. I conduct nearly all business with my landlords via email, when we do speak on the phone, one of us emails the other to confirm the conversation. This makes for far less questions of fact down the road.

• Locked thread