Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
will mark zuckerberg make the world a better place?
yes
no
idk
View Results

• Locked thread
suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
i guess markr had a baby and now he regrets the evil he has done in this world and want to repent?

or maybe he wants to spend it all on techbro poo poo like wi-fi and teachig kids to code and cutting babies pee-pees

zuckerberg and bill gates will fight for control of the world like godzilla and mothra with their massive charity lasers while we cover in fear

https://www.facebook.com/notes/mark-zuckerberg/a-letter-to-our-daughter/10153375081581634

quote:

For your generation to live in a better world, there is so much more our generation can do.
Today your mother and I are committing to spend our lives doing our small part to help solve these challenges. I will continue to serve as Facebook's CEO for many, many years to come, but these issues are too important to wait until you or we are older to begin this work. By starting at a young age, we hope to see compounding benefits throughout our lives.

As you begin the next generation of the Chan Zuckerberg family, we also begin the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative to join people across the world to advance human potential and promote equality for all children in the next generation. Our initial areas of focus will be personalized learning, curing disease, connecting people and building strong communities.

We will give 99% of our Facebook shares -- currently about $45 billion -- during our lives to advance this mission. We know this is a small contribution compared to all the resources and talents of those already working on these issues. But we want to do what we can, working alongside many others.

idk this may be a good thing? or a bad thing? its a lot of money either way. probably you could build a space escalator or give every child in india their own ip address

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
today obama was giving some speech about climate change and he cited the money donated by "bill gates and .. uh .. others" lol the president just forgot zuck's name, that's gotta sting a little when you're giving a billion $

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME
why is there no hail satan option? WHY?

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
This is just a tax dodge

He's giving them away..........to the Chan Zuckerberg foundation

out of the front pocket, into the back pocket

hth

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

mad.radhu posted:

This is just a tax dodge

hth

pram
Jun 10, 2001
narc fuckerberg jr

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

mad.radhu posted:

This is just a tax dodge

hth

LOL dear God I hope this is true

buncha dumbasses parroting the "Mark Fuckerberg gives away billions to help poor kids" line just because he's giving shares of his company "to advance prosperity and humanity" or whatever never-actually-said-charity entity he's giving the shares to.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Dec 2, 2015

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i'm p sure it's his own charity that only advances purchasing land around the zuck compound in palo alto

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
scrooge mczuck

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
like hes gonna share a bunch of posts or what

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
free likes for africa

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
wait won't zuckerberg-chan do anything with the money? :confused:

or could i just make the hand suffix initiative and have them keep all my money for my spending?

Wheel! Of! 4chan!
Nov 28, 2007
The voice is white, erasing mine

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

scrooge mczuck

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

scrooge mczuck

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

scrooge mczuck

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

scrooge mczuck

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Doc Block posted:

LOL dear God I hope this is true

buncha dumbasses parroting the "Mark Fuckerberg gives away billions to help poor kids" line just because he's giving shares of his company "to advance prosperity and humanity" or whatever never-actually-said-charity entity he's giving the shares to.

ya i'm p sure its just a tax free trust fund for his daughter

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

it's funny when people expect the shares to be worth something

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

scrooge mczuck

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I'd rather focus on the weird impersonal letter he wrote his kid and put online.

I realize it was in part a press release, but why frame it as a "letter to my kid in the future". It makes it sound like he's going to treat his child like a stock holder.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
he will give shares but how many likes will he give?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Beast of Bourbon posted:

i'm p sure it's his own charity that only advances purchasing land around the zuck compound in palo alto

no it's going to focus on "providing internet access" [internet.org aka "facebook is the internet if you're a pov"] and "improve education" which why does every goddamn billionaire nerd think they can do this and it always fucks everything up, when zuck gave $100mm to newark 20% went to constultants, a little bit went to teachers [$3k if they took on a bunch of extra work] and literally nothing else changed

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
apparently it's not even a real charity, it's an LLC

Mathhole
Jun 2, 2011

rot in hell, wonderbread.

qirex posted:

no it's going to focus on "providing internet access" [internet.org aka "facebook is the internet if you're a pov"] and "improve education" which why does every goddamn billionaire nerd think they can do this and it always fucks everything up, when zuck gave $100mm to newark 20% went to constultants, a little bit went to teachers [$3k if they took on a bunch of extra work] and literally nothing else changed

lol gj zucj

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Ericadia posted:

apparently it's not even a real charity, it's an LLC

who'd've thought that the guy who started a business out of creeping on photos of women and getting them to create accounts so he could read their emails might not be entirely genuine

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

qirex posted:

tech bros and their money are soon parted

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
techbros are going to make for the most insufferable generation of republicans

pram
Jun 10, 2001
notch isn't dead yet kirk. thoughts .. ?

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
i forgot about that, whats the due date on it

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

I thought it was likes that charities really needed

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Kirk posted:

techbros are going to make for the most insufferable generation of republicans

some crooked pastor is going to make a pile of money "saving" them when their midlife crises hit and they realize they've actually done nothing good for the world

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

qirex posted:

some crooked pastor is going to make a pile of money "saving" them when their midlife crises hit and they realize they've actually done nothing good for the world

kaballr

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

qirex posted:

a fragment of them are going to spin out in the opposite direction and absolutely trash hippie culture when they arrive

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Kirk posted:

a fragment of them are going to spin out in the opposite direction and absolutely trash hippie culture when they arrive

that's what I mean, the hippie silicon valley has been dead since the '90s and they're going to tend towards being righteous rather than live and let live

platonicbackrub
Sep 8, 2015

Fuckyear checkbox poll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

BooLoo posted:

why is there no hail satan option? WHY?

mods please add this but also the option to accept jesus into your heart as your lord and saviour

• Locked thread