Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Here is an example of what I mean, from a few seasons ago

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000231285/Dustin-Keller-injures-knee

quote:

After signing with the Miami Dolphins, Keller suffered a career-ending knee injury in the preseason, tearing his ACL, MCL and PCL, while also dislocating his knee.

Plays like this (a career ending hit it turns out) have no business in football. How could they ban these type of hits while still allowing players on the ground to ankle tackle etc?

I'm sure they could figure it out but DBs being cowards going at players legs has to stop. Should be huge fines and suspensions for it too. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

African AIDS cum posted:

Here is an example of what I mean, from a few seasons ago

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000231285/Dustin-Keller-injures-knee

Plays like this (a career ending hit it turns out) have no business in football. How could they ban these type of hits while still allowing players on the ground to ankle tackle etc?

I'm sure they could figure it out but DBs being cowards going at players legs has to stop. Should be huge fines and suspensions for it too. Thoughts?
I've never understood why rugby rules can't be implemented - you hit between the shoulders and the thighs or else it's a penalty. Of course you can make exceptions for players lowering their heads or defenders who are blocked into a low hit, but it shouldn't be that difficult all the same.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

something something skirt something something trenches gridiron something something smashmouth

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Crazy Ted posted:

I've never understood why rugby rules can't be implemented - you hit between the shoulders and the thighs or else it's a penalty. Of course you can make exceptions for players lowering their heads or defenders who are blocked into a low hit, but it shouldn't be that difficult all the same.

Exactly, and so many times these "hits" a player just bounces off and runs for more yards. I get mad as gently caress when one of my teams players does it.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
the nfl should create super light weight super strong nanotube knee braces that all players have to wear

problem solved

also put that squishy memory foam on the outside of the helmets

no more concussions

we can put a robot on mars but we can't protect ACLs? come on america, you used to be great!

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

NC-17 posted:

the nfl should create super light weight super strong nanotube knee braces that all players have to wear

problem solved

also put that squishy memory foam on the outside of the helmets

no more concussions

come on america, you used to be great!

Gronk gets hit like this a few times a game. If corners had to make actual real tackles on him and players his size the 5'9 cover corner everyone hates would become extinct. Just imagine.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Watch this and tell me it wouldn't own if all NFL players tackled with this form:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1A06stpydY

African AIDS cum posted:

Gronk gets hit like this a few times a game. If corners had to make actual real tackles on him and players his size the 5'9 cover corner everyone hates would become extinct. Just imagine.
About 15 years ago Deion Sanders literally tried to tackle an onrushing player by doing a barrel roll at his ankles. It was one of the most hilarious things I've ever seen.

Nov 6, 2002

those guys are running at like 1/10th the speed, i mean did you see how slow they looked in that video?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

Watch this and tell me it wouldn't own if all NFL players tackled with this form:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1A06stpydY

About 15 years ago Deion Sanders literally tried to tackle an onrushing player by doing a barrel roll at his ankles. It was one of the most hilarious things I've ever seen.

Video proof US Muslims cheered 9/11 = Video proof Deion Sanders tried to tackle someone

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Intruder needs to ban AAC posts

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Anaranjado posted:

Intruder needs to ban AAC posts

What is your problem?

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
AAC posts

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Please don't

If you don't like AAC posts/threads then no one is forcing you to click on this one

Thanks

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I'm down with this. Below the neck and above the knees is a huge strike zone, people acting like it's hard to NOT target smaller moving targets like a dude's kneecaps instead of their entire goddamn torso are huge assholes.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Plus below-neck/above-knee tackles with proper form are the most brutal looking tackles anyway, despite being the safest. Better than some dude getting grabbed by the ankle and just rolling away.

Nov 6, 2002

Is AAC Tom Brady?

quote:

Four days after tight end Rob Gronkowski was carted off the field with a bone bruise/sprain of his right knee, New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady hopes the NFL will consider rule changes for low hits on pass-catchers.

"Quarterbacks get their legs protected. Defensive linemen get their legs protected. Linebackers get their legs protected. I don't see why a defenseless receiver shouldn't get his legs protected as well."

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Plus below-neck/above-knee tackles with proper form are the most brutal looking tackles anyway, despite being the safest. Better than some dude getting grabbed by the ankle and just rolling away.

Also guys getting away with dragon screw leg whips right out of New Japan Pro Wrestling is bullshit. I'm looking at you Vontaze Burfict you shitnuts.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

sean10mm posted:

I'm down with this. Below the neck and above the knees is a huge strike zone, people acting like it's hard to NOT target smaller moving targets like a dude's kneecaps instead of their entire goddamn torso are huge assholes.
Highly credited post

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Only if we can ban offensive players lowering their head or trying to duck away from contact.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Athanatos posted:

Only if we can ban offensive players lowering their head or trying to duck away from contact.

What do they do about this in rugby or does it not exist cause no helmets?

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

African AIDS cum posted:

What do they do about this in rugby or does it not exist cause no helmets?

Yes. Smashing your head into someone else when neither are wearing helmets hurts like hell so they don't do it.

Nov 6, 2002

In all seriousness people are going low because when they aim for the torso and the receiver curls up their upper body in preparation for the hit the defender often ends up hitting their helmet and gets flagged.

I don't think hitting the torso accurately at high speed - without coming into contact with the helmet - is as easy as you all make it sound.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

NC-17 posted:

In all seriousness people are going low because when they aim for the torso and the receiver curls up their upper body in preparation for the hit the defender often ends up hitting their helmet and gets flagged.

I don't think hitting the torso accurately at high speed - without coming into contact with the helmet - is as easy as you all make it sound.

Aim for the hips, the least mobile part of a runner's body? No chance of hitting the helmet unless the runner really tries to get hit there, and a runner jumping in the air is probably less likely to get a knee blown out since the leg will move with it / isn't pinned to the ground.

Harder to tackle a guy with strength and talent? Sure, again, least mobile part of their body so it's hard to topple them there, but since when does the NFL care about limiting offensive performances?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Yes I was always taught to aim for the belt buckle when tackling. Hard to miss them there. Honestly the standard of tackling in the NFL is abysmal, probably because speed is the most important attribute and a great tackler who runs a 5.1 will never make it wheras Deion is a hall of famer

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
We can't afford to tie defense's hands any more than they're tied already.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

What if they actually tied the defense's hands?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Why don't the offensive guys slide before contact?

Nov 6, 2002

Frackie Robinson posted:

We can't afford to tie defense's hands any more than they're tied already.

I think the root of the problem is football players are taught to deliver big hits to jar the ball loose, rather than to go for the sure tackle. If this weren't the case there would be no need to legislate hits and tackles.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

African AIDS cum posted:

Exactly, and so many times these "hits" a player just bounces off and runs for more yards. I get mad as gently caress when one of my teams players does it.

earl thomas :arghfist:

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

I agree, OP. Also, I think you shouldn't be allowed to launch yourself like a meatmissile into defenseless players.

Thank you for reading.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

If we're going to talk about low hits that should be banned, the first thing to go should be the chop block, an extremely dangerous double-team block in which (usually) a defender is first engaged above the waist and then blocked below the waist when he can't see the low block coming or prepare for it. At every other level of play this is illegal at any time because it's a knee-destroyer, but in the NFL:

quote:

Rule 12-2-3

CHOP BLOCK. A Chop Block is a block by the offense in which one offensive player (designated as A1 for purposes of this rule) blocks a defensive player in the area of the thigh or lower while another offensive player (A2) engages that same defensive player above the waist.

(1) A Chop Block is a legal block in the following situations on Running Plays:

(a) Offensive players A1 and A2, who are initially aligned adjacent to each other on the line of scrimmage, may chop a defensive player.
(b) Offensive players A1 and A2, who are initially aligned more than one position away from each other on the line of scrimmage, may chop a defensive player when the flow of the play is toward the block.

Of course, it's not skill position players who are on the receiving end of these blocks, so they don't get much attention.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
The part of rugby tackling law that you want to implement isn't bans on high hits (there aren't any bans on low tackles what are you talking about) but bans on shoulder charges. Mandate that players use their arms to tackle and the problem of guys closing their eyes, throwing a shoulder, and hoping for the best goes away. Plus it makes for more effective tackling.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
is there a weight differential in rugby like in football? some of these rbs have like fifty pounds on dbs. it hurts less to go really low on guys like that, which is part of the reason i assume they do it.

Elephanthead posted:

Why don't the offensive guys slide before contact?

this is really the only surefire safe way to play the game.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

I think it's perfectly ok to do the things you don't like if it happens to a player on a team I don't like, OP

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
don't go too low, you might hurt somebody

don't go too high, you might hurt somebody

great, now everyone is safe

just hit him in the belt buckle

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

SlipUp posted:

don't go too low, you might hurt somebody

don't go too high, you might hurt somebody

great, now everyone is safe

just hit him in the belt buckle

Not really the same scenario here but funny you posted a pic of the NFL player most famous for his inability to evade a tackle and get yards after contact

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
the picture is meant to illustrate a common habit for ballcarriers, there's a bunch of them every game. it's not like the gronk situation, true, but gronk could certainly do some damage to a 160-180 pound DB running in the open field at full speed. aiming for the center of mass would only make it worse. it's already ludicrous enough that an offensive player lowering his helmet into a defender is a 15 yard personal foul on the defender in the name of safety. (except for a small portion of the field technically but it's never been enforced.)

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Yeah there is some tweaking to do for sure but ideally the 160-180 lb DBs would be phased out of the league after this rule change because nobody likes to watch them anyway IMO and guys like Brandon Browner will populate defenses league wide. More man coverage and going deep less soft dinky underneath stuff. But all as a side effect of the safety rules.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
idk if you're going deep you're gonna need speed and if the offense has speed the defense is going to need speed. unless maybe we can allow contact after 5 yards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

SlipUp posted:

idk if you're going deep you're gonna need speed and if the offense has speed the defense is going to need speed. unless maybe we can allow contact after 5 yards.

Bump and run and keep inside leverage with safety help over top. For better games they should get rid of illegal contact penalties imo the league was better when it wasnt as extremely QB dependent as it is now but the main thing is poor tackling is bad and unskilled and dangerous and makes the sport look amateur

• Locked thread