Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Here is an example of what I mean, from a few seasons ago

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000231285/Dustin-Keller-injures-knee

quote:

After signing with the Miami Dolphins, Keller suffered a career-ending knee injury in the preseason, tearing his ACL, MCL and PCL, while also dislocating his knee.

Plays like this (a career ending hit it turns out) have no business in football. How could they ban these type of hits while still allowing players on the ground to ankle tackle etc?

I'm sure they could figure it out but DBs being cowards going at players legs has to stop. Should be huge fines and suspensions for it too. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Crazy Ted posted:

I've never understood why rugby rules can't be implemented - you hit between the shoulders and the thighs or else it's a penalty. Of course you can make exceptions for players lowering their heads or defenders who are blocked into a low hit, but it shouldn't be that difficult all the same.

Exactly, and so many times these "hits" a player just bounces off and runs for more yards. I get mad as gently caress when one of my teams players does it.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

NC-17 posted:

the nfl should create super light weight super strong nanotube knee braces that all players have to wear

problem solved

also put that squishy memory foam on the outside of the helmets

no more concussions

come on america, you used to be great!

Gronk gets hit like this a few times a game. If corners had to make actual real tackles on him and players his size the 5'9 cover corner everyone hates would become extinct. Just imagine.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Anaranjado posted:

Intruder needs to ban AAC posts

What is your problem?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

sean10mm posted:

I'm down with this. Below the neck and above the knees is a huge strike zone, people acting like it's hard to NOT target smaller moving targets like a dude's kneecaps instead of their entire goddamn torso are huge assholes.
Highly credited post

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Athanatos posted:

Only if we can ban offensive players lowering their head or trying to duck away from contact.

What do they do about this in rugby or does it not exist cause no helmets?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Yes I was always taught to aim for the belt buckle when tackling. Hard to miss them there. Honestly the standard of tackling in the NFL is abysmal, probably because speed is the most important attribute and a great tackler who runs a 5.1 will never make it wheras Deion is a hall of famer

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

SlipUp posted:

don't go too low, you might hurt somebody

don't go too high, you might hurt somebody

great, now everyone is safe

just hit him in the belt buckle

Not really the same scenario here but funny you posted a pic of the NFL player most famous for his inability to evade a tackle and get yards after contact

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Yeah there is some tweaking to do for sure but ideally the 160-180 lb DBs would be phased out of the league after this rule change because nobody likes to watch them anyway IMO and guys like Brandon Browner will populate defenses league wide. More man coverage and going deep less soft dinky underneath stuff. But all as a side effect of the safety rules.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

SlipUp posted:

idk if you're going deep you're gonna need speed and if the offense has speed the defense is going to need speed. unless maybe we can allow contact after 5 yards.

Bump and run and keep inside leverage with safety help over top. For better games they should get rid of illegal contact penalties imo the league was better when it wasnt as extremely QB dependent as it is now but the main thing is poor tackling is bad and unskilled and dangerous and makes the sport look amateur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Badfinger posted:

I can imagine a scenario where if they introduces a more rugby-like set of rules for tackling and blocking, the weight differential between extremes begins to shrink some.

Mandating change would foster a new requirement for players who can fulfill their roles properly inside the new rules, which would naturally move the game towards that place. I'm for it.

Can you elaborate on this? Sounds good but how would it work?

• Locked thread