Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

The fact that kids are using Chromebooks and poo poo and schools have wifi is the weirdest poo poo. My elementary school was so poor that part of the cafeteria flooded when it rained and the biggest attraction on the playground was a tractor tire stuck into the ground. I bet nowadays all the kids there have loving ipads or some crazy offbrand thereof.
my old elementary school has iPads for students now and i think it's the saddest thing.

also as a tangent, my little sister got an iPad for her 9th birthday

when i was 9 i was glad to get a Scooter

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

symbolic posted:

my old elementary school has iPads for students now and i think it's the saddest thing.

my 3-year-old has a kindle that my mom got him for christmas last year, she also bought and pays the plan for my 15-year-old's cell phone that he's had since he was 10

she wouldn't let me have a pager when I was 17

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

WTF school "wifi"?? The gently caress they need wifi for in school

A lot of the material provided by the textbook company requires internet, any reports or research needs the internet, if the teacher is playing a movie they stream it from PBS, etc. Some of the students are dirt poor and their parents don't have internet nor will they buy a smartphone for their kid so computers (laptops on carts) need to be available for class time. Also parents will complain about too much homework because they think it clips the wings of their special idiot child who would just be reading poo poo online instead of stuff with that time anyway. Also don't forget that until someone goes through and tells them exactly what to do step by step they will just not do it because they "don't know how."

raton fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 4, 2015

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

*shits in Genesplicer's desk, hides it under a bunch of papers*

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

The fact that kids are using Chromebooks and cellphones in class and schools have wifi is the weirdest poo poo. My elementary school was so poor that part of the cafeteria flooded every time it rained and the biggest attraction on the playground was a tractor tire stuck into the ground. I bet nowadays all the kids there have loving ipads or some crazy offbrand thereof.

Lol there was a big ole stink that ended with the superintendent of LAUSD getting the boot because I guess he was pretty chummy with some guys at apple and guys who made school related software for iPads who then decided that every child in the district needed an iPad that the already fiscally struggling district would provide for them

Business Octopus
Jun 27, 2005

Me IRL

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

WTF school "wifi"?? The gently caress they need wifi for in school

Lol yes grandpa, it makes total sense to teach kids cursive and slide rules and abacuses instead of teaching them how to use the tools of the modern world.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

*plays paper fortune teller game and has to MARRY cynthia and sarah but also has to KILL julia and gently caress carla*

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Business Octopus posted:

Lol yes grandpa, it makes total sense to teach kids cursive and slide rules and abacuses instead of teaching them how to use the tools of the modern world.
cursive can suck my goddamn dick

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

symbolic posted:

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

symbolic posted:

I always write now in this horrible mix of cursive and print that everyone hated me for because of the push to learn cursive because "when you're in college that's all your professors will allow"

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Crazyeyes posted:

I always write now in this horrible mix of cursive and print that everyone hated me for because of the push to learn cursive because "when you're in college that's all your professors will allow"
which is an utter bullshit reason because literally everything is typed now

gently caress you school

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
My cursive handwriting is sooooo much better than my awful print

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Booblord Zagats posted:

My cursive handwriting is sooooo much better than my awful print
my handwriting is chicken scratch either way but at least it's readable in print

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
regarding the whole wifi thing. Our entire school district is set up for wifi in every building. We got a massive grant from the Gates Foundation and used it to get enough chromebooks for every single student in grades 7-12 to take home and a class set for the kids to use in class in the elementary schools. We use computers an awful lot. When I started teaching in 1991, there was exactly 1 computer in my classroom, for my use. We got our first Internet connection in about 1995.

Back then, there were basically three sources of information in the classroom. The teacher, the textbook, and reference materials in the library. Today, with the Internet, the students have information that is far more up-to-date than any textbook or teacher could ever hope to be. My job is no longer to give students information, not even, thanks to Google, to find it, but to teach them how to analyze and use the information they find.

This actually makes perfect sense. Technology has invaded every portion of our lives, and it would be insane not to use it in the classroom. Of course, it is possible that it can be misused, so we need to watch our students to make sure they are doing their jobs.

My school is not one of the rich ones. Our district is slightly below average for family income, and my school in particular is hard-hit. 90% of our students are on free or reduced lunch. We can afford all this technological wonder because there are loads of technology grants out there, aimed at poor kids, and we have a lot of them.

I must admit, I miss overhead projectors.

And kids passing notes. That was always fun. Now they just text each other.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Sheep-Goats posted:

Also don't forget that until someone goes through and tells them exactly what to do step by step they will just not do it because they "don't know how."

Jesus H Christ this

Sometimes even when you tell them step-by-step what to do they just sort of stare blankly at their desk and say "Yeah I just don't get it" or repeat "I don't know what to do"

Not to sound like an Old, but I remember having wayyy more agency when I was a kid, but I guess I didn't have an iPhone in my pocket that I could take out and play with as soon as the teacher left to explain to the entire class again what the assignment was, since this kid not "getting it" probably means there are a few more that don't.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

genesplicer posted:

I must admit, I miss overhead projectors.

Every school in our district has these now:

They're amazing and awesome and better than Smartboards

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

In elementary school the computer lab was Apple IIe's until they got a new lab in 97. We also watched a lot of reel-to-reel films because they had quite the backlog of them, and also those slides that you'd advance whenever a tone was played.

In high school you weren't supposed to be carrying a cellphone during school hours. Real smartphones didn't start to come out until a couple months after I graduated. Kids get way more loving leeway than we ever got.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My girlfriend's school bought two sets of 25 Chromebooks after the Tech teacher launched some sort of crusade for them and how amazing they were, and despite all the teachers who came in to test a few out for their possible use in the classroom said that they preferred regular netbooks/ laptops, the Tech teacher took it to the board and they shelled out the cash for them haha

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Casimir Radon posted:

In high school you weren't supposed to be carrying a cellphone during school hours. Real smartphones didn't start to come out until a couple months after I graduated. Kids get way more loving leeway than we ever got.
lol no they don't

it was the same up until i graduated this summer. you weren't supposed to have your phone on you. if you got caught, two Saturday detentions and it goes on your permanent record. happened to me once. let me tell you, i was never more bored than i was staring at the wall for three hours in one of my lovely high school classrooms on a Saturday morning.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Professor Shark posted:

My highschool had these back in mid 2000s and they seemed like a good idea except none of the teachers could figure out how to use them so generally it would be like 15 minutes of teacher loving with the thing before they gave up and switches to using overhead projector lol

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost

symbolic posted:

let me tell you, i was never more bored than i was staring at the wall for three hours in one of my lovely high school classrooms on a Saturday morning.

and to think, in a scant 12 years you will be so happy to have a 3 hour block where you're not even allowed to do anything that you will look back on that time with fondness and and a quiet longing for a simpler time

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Nooner posted:

My highschool had these back in mid 2000s and they seemed like a good idea except none of the teachers could figure out how to use them so generally it would be like 15 minutes of teacher loving with the thing before they gave up and switches to using overhead projector lol

Haha nice! I don't know what they would have been like back then but the ones I use are solidly idiot-proof. Only a few basic button, like letting you adjust the screen in different directions, and an ON/OFF button.

Some of the ON/OFF buttons have sensors in them so if you point your finger up near them they turn on without having to push them! :)

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

rabble rabble posted:

and to think, in a scant 12 years you will be so happy to have a 3 hour block where you're not even allowed to do anything that you will look back on that time with fondness and and a quiet longing for a simpler time
i might be dead in 12 years hth

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Also, Genesplicer never 6 Hour Probated me with this reason so what the hell Gene?!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

symbolic posted:

lol no they don't

it was the same up until i graduated this summer. you weren't supposed to have your phone on you. if you got caught, two Saturday detentions and it goes on your permanent record. happened to me once. let me tell you, i was never more bored than i was staring at the wall for three hours in one of my lovely high school classrooms on a Saturday morning.

At that time in my life I remember explicitly thinking "I have to find something to do so I'm not bored" on occasion. Now the thought is "I have to find a way to get my phone out so that I'm not bored."

Pretty much the same poo poo but whatever.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Sheep-Goats posted:

At that time in my life I remember explicitly thinking "I have to find something to do so I'm not bored" on occasion. Now the thought is "I have to find a way to get my phone out so that I'm not bored."

Pretty much the same poo poo but whatever.
i doodled band logos when i was bored

i got really good at drawing the Sodom logo

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

symbolic posted:

i doodled band logos when i was bored

i got really good at drawing the Sodom logo

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

ah yes, a classical piece

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Way to make it like a kid who just listened to a Sublime album for the first time. The tips aren't horizontal

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Professor Shark posted:

Also, Genesplicer never 6 Hour Probated me with this reason so what the hell Gene?!

put that in the booty thread. it needs more love.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Jukeboxblues posted:

put that in the booty thread. it needs more love.

*rushes*

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

Professor Shark posted:

The boards we use now are Promethean Boards. More versatile than smartboards. The latest ones are like the monster monitors you see presenters messing with on CNN, with touch screen capability.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

Professor Shark posted:

Please...

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Cursive handwriting exists to make you hated by your co-workers in 10 years because they can't read your loving writing.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I have three kinds of handwriting that I switch between as necessary and none of them are cursive.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

:argh:

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

symbolic posted:

No way, this is awesome. Imagine textbooks that can have errors edited away and pushed to every device in an instant.

Not that I believe for a moment that this is anywhere near typical.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
teacher that's a no no place!

Other Barry
Jun 5, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
*shoots fellow students and then self, leaving long rambling manifesto about the red pill*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
*pulls fire alarm and isn't seen for rest of the day*

• Locked thread