Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Back in the 80's commercial breaks were only 30-120 seconds usually, now on most channels they last about 5 minutes, what happened? Do the tv stations charge less but take on more sponsors?

I just ate my whole dinner during a commercial break, it was ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Stop watching TV.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
The TV stations charge more and sell more ad slots. It's going to get difficult to justify when audience numbers start falling off over the next 20 years.

So the solution is get netflix, or what other various options are availabe. Poor mans option just watch lovely youtube videos and only deal with 15 seconds of advertising.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Our corporate masters own us, OP, that's why. Eventually TV is going to be 45 minutes of commercials and 15 minutes of show.

Semi-Protato
Sep 11, 2001

Devian666 posted:

The TV stations charge more and sell more ad slots. It's going to get difficult to justify when audience numbers start falling off over the next 20 years.

Or they'll do what print media did: make up the lost revenue from the shrinking audience by reducing the size of the product and filling it with even more ads. It's a short term fix for a long term problem, but the business climate favors short term fixes like that. It's got them in a death spiral and TV execs aren't any smarter so expect it to follow.

Devian666 posted:

So the solution is get netflix, or what other various options are availabe. Poor mans option just watch lovely youtube videos and only deal with 15 seconds of advertising.

Yup, and throw an adblock/content blocker in there and the youtube ads go away too.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Land Fish posted:

Or they'll do what print media did: make up the lost revenue from the shrinking audience by reducing the size of the product and filling it with even more ads. It's a short term fix for a long term problem, but the business climate favors short term fixes like that. It's got them in a death spiral and TV execs aren't any smarter so expect it to follow.

Yup, and throw an adblock/content blocker in there and the youtube ads go away too.

I wish iphones got adblock :(

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I was going to say that it was because they speed up programs to cram more in (some stations actually do this, like TBS with their endless reruns), but, in fact, some channels have been making the actual per-show timeslots longer. I think on Comedy Central they add about 2-3 minutes to the slot of each midday show so they can show a few more commercials. At the end of 8-12 hours, they've shown 1 or 2 fewer episodes and around a half hour of extra ad time.

So, in short, to make money. Your attention is the product, being sold to advertisers for $$$$

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Squeezing the last drop out of a lemon. Scraping the bottom of the barrel while the silent generation still breathes.

The Outer Limits (1963–1965) 51 minutes of content in 60 minutes = 15% commercials.
Star Trek: The Next Generation (1987–1994) 45 minutes of content in 60 minutes = 25% commercials

I think some of the newer shows are closer to 40 minutes than 45 minutes. Which is ~33% commercials.

The question I have is why does Cable TV costs hundreds of dollars when so many channels are filled to the brim with commercials and movies on the "premium channels" aren't even shown in their correct aspect ratio. HBO, Starz, Showtime, Encore among others are constantly displaying 2.35:1 films in 16:9 (1.77:1).

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

22m/44m were pretty standard through the 90s and 00s. I think they've honestly just gotten worse about clumping everything into 2-3 commercial breaks around crucial plot points so you don't tune out.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Zogo posted:

The question I have is why does Cable TV costs hundreds of dollars when so many channels are filled to the brim with commercials and movies on the "premium channels" aren't even shown in their correct aspect ratio. HBO, Starz, Showtime, Encore among others are constantly displaying 2.35:1 films in 16:9 (1.77:1).

Lack of competition. This is where the free market would actually help improve the quality of service. Taking away social welfare benefits, including monopolies, from corporations and companies in the broadcast sector would help (the consumer).

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Holy poo poo guys, we found him! The one guy who still watches TV shows in real time, as they are broadcast, from a cable television subscription. Crazy stuff.

What is it like to be you? What's a day in your life like? What kind of foods do you eat?

Edit:

effectual posted:

I wish iphones got adblock :(

I don't know if you're joking, but they do have Adblock now, as of ios9 you can install Adblock extensions for safari.

big shtick energy fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 4, 2015

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Zogo posted:

Squeezing the last drop out of a lemon. Scraping the bottom of the barrel while the silent generation still breathes.

The Outer Limits (1963–1965) 51 minutes of content in 60 minutes = 15% commercials.
Star Trek: The Next Generation (1987–1994) 45 minutes of content in 60 minutes = 25% commercials

I think some of the newer shows are closer to 40 minutes than 45 minutes. Which is ~33% commercials.

I work with raw footage that usually includes commercial blacks and on average you're looking at between 41 and 47 minutes of actual footage for an hour long episode. It varies a lot depending on how long the commercial blacks are (In some shows it can eat as much as 10 minutes of the actual footage runtime, in others it's literally less than a second of downtime between running footage), and what channel the show is going on.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

We had cable hooked up recently after about a year without it, and when the first commercial hit, it was absolutely appalling to me. When you go that long successfully avoiding almost all commercials, it's horrendously jarring to suddenly have five minute waves of people barking about stupid products directly into your living room. I can't stand it and since having it hooked up we've only used it to watch sports on occasion.

Another fun fact we recently discovered is that they've started (well, no idea when) speeding up TV shows and movies by an almost imperceptible amount to cram in more commercial time. We only noticed when we started watching a movie on cable that we had on blu ray and decided (because of the commercials!) to just put in the blu ray, and my boyfriend noticing that the background music sounded slightly off on the TV version.

Long story short TV is terrible garbage, jump ship now.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Shima Honnou posted:

In some shows it can eat as much as 10 minutes of the actual footage runtime...

That should be illegal!

redcheval posted:

Another fun fact we recently discovered is that they've started (well, no idea when) speeding up TV shows and movies by an almost imperceptible amount to cram in more commercial time.

I've noticed that recently. I was pretty confident some dialog was sped up on a TNG episode on BBC America (besides a scene being excised).

But then I was 100% sure when watching something on another channel and a woman suddenly strutted across the room unnaturally fast. Looked liked the spider crawl scene from The Exorcist film.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

DuckConference posted:

Holy poo poo guys, we found him! The one guy who still watches TV shows in real time, as they are broadcast, from a cable television subscription. Crazy stuff.

What is it like to be you? What's a day in your life like? What kind of foods do you eat?

Edit:

Well I don't, actually, because of the commercials. Just flip the tube on when I'm eating a meal.

Can I get that ios9 on my iphon4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!

effectual posted:

I just ate my whole dinner during a commercial break, it was ridiculous.

Chew your food.

Although personally my theory is basically what you said: that the TV stations want the same amount of commercial revenue and are paid less per commercial due to declining real-time audience viewership. So they make it up by showing more commercials.

Initio fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 18, 2015

• Locked thread