Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Our corporate masters own us, OP, that's why. Eventually TV is going to be 45 minutes of commercials and 15 minutes of show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Zogo posted:

Squeezing the last drop out of a lemon. Scraping the bottom of the barrel while the silent generation still breathes.

The Outer Limits (1963–1965) 51 minutes of content in 60 minutes = 15% commercials.
Star Trek: The Next Generation (1987–1994) 45 minutes of content in 60 minutes = 25% commercials

I think some of the newer shows are closer to 40 minutes than 45 minutes. Which is ~33% commercials.

The question I have is why does Cable TV costs hundreds of dollars when so many channels are filled to the brim with commercials and movies on the "premium channels" aren't even shown in their correct aspect ratio. HBO, Starz, Showtime, Encore among others are constantly displaying 2.35:1 films in 16:9 (1.77:1).

I work with raw footage that usually includes commercial blacks and on average you're looking at between 41 and 47 minutes of actual footage for an hour long episode. It varies a lot depending on how long the commercial blacks are (In some shows it can eat as much as 10 minutes of the actual footage runtime, in others it's literally less than a second of downtime between running footage), and what channel the show is going on.

• Locked thread