Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Squeezing the last drop out of a lemon. Scraping the bottom of the barrel while the silent generation still breathes.

The Outer Limits (1963–1965) 51 minutes of content in 60 minutes = 15% commercials.
Star Trek: The Next Generation (1987–1994) 45 minutes of content in 60 minutes = 25% commercials

I think some of the newer shows are closer to 40 minutes than 45 minutes. Which is ~33% commercials.

The question I have is why does Cable TV costs hundreds of dollars when so many channels are filled to the brim with commercials and movies on the "premium channels" aren't even shown in their correct aspect ratio. HBO, Starz, Showtime, Encore among others are constantly displaying 2.35:1 films in 16:9 (1.77:1).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Shima Honnou posted:

In some shows it can eat as much as 10 minutes of the actual footage runtime...

That should be illegal!

redcheval posted:

Another fun fact we recently discovered is that they've started (well, no idea when) speeding up TV shows and movies by an almost imperceptible amount to cram in more commercial time.

I've noticed that recently. I was pretty confident some dialog was sped up on a TNG episode on BBC America (besides a scene being excised).

But then I was 100% sure when watching something on another channel and a woman suddenly strutted across the room unnaturally fast. Looked liked the spider crawl scene from The Exorcist film.

• Locked thread