Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
im gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

Paramemetic posted:

This, this is what I can't wait to see on Steam. Renaming "upinya" because . . . it's slang? Banning people for "bofa?" This will play real, real well on Steam, I'm sure, when players can review games without filtering by the company.

Thankfully reporting is easier than ever, friend!

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

well steam release sure is a thing. also the people talking about getting PGI to censor the steam forums is a treat.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

I think I'm done playing MWO until the next event, or the next wave of aimbot bans comes down. We dropped like 3 or 4 consecutive times against SJR and they weren't even subtle about their cheating.

PGI needs to get this poo poo under control. There's no point even trying to play this game when this crap goes down on the regular.

mmm...ha ha ha. good luck with that.

every thread i made on the steam forums warning people about helios was deleted. hmmmmm

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

lmao polar highlands is so bad. averaging two and a half minutes per match before you even see the other team

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

if they took two grids out of the circumference it may be better but right now its just too drat big. i'm fairly sure its bigger than sulfurous

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

the issue really is how big the map is and the time to even confirm the enemy team exists. spending almost 20% of the game time without any sight of the enemy is a poor decision. i haven't played conquest on the map yet but i am willing to bet significant amounts of money every game will come down to points because smart lights will dedicate themselves solely to capping and any non-light will be too slow to uncap/kill the last remaining enemy.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

DancingShade posted:

Machineguns have a pretty legit place on certain mechs, like the Ember.

lamo

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

Coolwhoami posted:

Supporting LRM boats would be so much nicer if TAG were togglable. I'm aware ahk scripts/pennies/rocks exist, but it feels slightly unscrupulous to do so, and the penalty incurred by using it to begin with (directly drawing a line to your position while constantly facing your opponent) makes me feel like making them more involved to use is a bit ridiculous.

e: I'm garbage with all mechs.

never support lrm mechs because they're bad mechs driven by bad players. players proudly bragging about kitting out a lrm warhawk or ebon jaguar don't deserve to play

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

Willfrey posted:

What is the appeal of the awesome? the sale? if that is the only reason save your space bucks, they arent that great. Mauler comes out soon save for that

they are the worst assault in the game

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

You know the Gargoyle is a thing, right?

drat man you got me, this one piece of poo poo is slightly worse than another piece of poo poo

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

Unboxing Day posted:

The OP mentions in passing baby's first dropdeck. The problem is that it consists of clan mechs (2x Stormcrow, Arctic Cheetah, Timberwolf). What's a decent starting dropdeck to work towards if you're Inner Sphere?

battlemaster 1s, thunderbolt 9se, thunderbolt 9se, blackjack

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I think you can also fit an Atlas, two Blackjacks and a Locust for Going Fast? Although the Locust isn't anywhere near as good as a Firestarter as a general-purpose light.

The point of the deck I posted is that there are no weaknesses. All of the mechs are fast (over 75 kph), have great heat management, and pull their weight on any drop. Atlases are really slow and all the armor in the world can't help you if you get surrounded in a poor position. With the 265 limit there's no need to bring a tonnage dump. IS light mechs are garbage now so Firestarters and especially Locusts are liabilities for your team when you bring one.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

novaSphere posted:

Are anecdotal hackusations above or below anecdotal scoreboards in the shitposting hierarchy?

I'm not saying hacks don't exist in MWO (obviously they do, we've seen proof) but the way the story was described it's hard to say. I drop against Lord, -MS-, SJR, and 228 players fairly frequently in solo queue and I've never encountered anything remotely fishy. Is it that much different in group queue?

Edit: I'd imagine solo queue is where I'd bust out the hacks, because there's less of a chance of competent players that would notice something weird going on.

Almost everyone has stories of being exclusively cored out or getting headshot on the move from extreme distances. We were playing a team on two consecutive drops and if you moved to the corner of cover, but stopped, there would still be multiple gauss shots fired at the spot you would've popped out because they were wallhacking. I sent Alex a long email about it and I hope something was done, but we'll never know!

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

novaSphere posted:

If you're going to submit reports, you should also submit video footage if possible. I know Win10 has that built-in DVR function with the XBox app, and there's always FRAPS and other tools you could use to record it. The moment weird poo poo starts happening in a match or you suspect anything, get it on tape so their CS can look over it. Simply writing it about it makes it tough to investigate, I think.

Very few companies will publicly disclose any acknowledgement of plan of action regarding cheating programs, as that sets up some massive expectations on their part that they rarely can keep up with. It was shocking to even see PGI disclose names of players that had action taken against them in a wave of bans.

I know SOE tried this with Planetside 2 and global broadcasts of cheater bans, but it doesn't really address the core issue.

It's pretty lovely to put the onus on the user to police the rest of the userbase. Especially since MWO runs bad enough without having video recording software running over the top and I don't want the responsibility of firing up recording software at the drop of a hat. But since Helios is undetectable when used in CryEngine games, here we are I suppose.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

Stringbean posted:

Put your LPL on your Torso. A much better location for where they're mounted, and you don't risk the chance that they get blown the gently caress off. If you downgrade to an XL280 you could do 3x LPL and 4(5 if you wanna run hotter)x MPL.

Anyone got a Grid Iron, wanna share their builds? It comes with Gauss but I suckdon't like Gauss. So here's my build so far:

GRID IRON

It has a missile mount, but putting on missiles lowers my AC5 ammo :|

the guide for a grid iron is asking PGI for a refund because they hosed with an irl money mech

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's going to be very hard to resist 5-million c-bill BattleMasters.

Which ones are good?

1s, 1g have the weapon quirks, 2c has the structure quirks. 1s i the one I bring to CW regularly

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

please don't buy a hellslinger

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

Astroniomix posted:

Clan medium lasers are the worst heat-to-damage ratio in the game, and clan lasers burn forever.

uh...bruh

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

Kurzon posted:

Thanks for the opinions.

Moving on to another topic...

I like the Hellbringer because the left torso has high laser mounts which is great for peeking over hills. However, it doesn't have jump jets. Is there a mech that is great for peeking and also has jump jets? I'd prefer Clan options because of the longer ranges.

You can throw jumpjets on a Timber Wolf, but it doesn't have the high hardpoints or ecm of a hellbringer. Timber wolves also tend to be focused down quickly because they have a very distinctive shape and most players recognize them as the most dangerous mech on the team.

Avoid shadow cats, the only good build is a shadowcat with two large pulse lasers.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

Willfrey posted:

uh, the timberwolves do have a high 3 energy hardpoint omnipod, but i believe it gives a heat penalty

it's also a gigantic target for anyone with half a brain and tends to get blown off extremely quick, which leaves you with little to no weapons left. my survivability increased dramatically when i went back to the regular torsos versus that one.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

HexDog posted:

I can't type out what he said word for word, but the gist was that they have been tracking a list of players who are cheating. Really soon here they are going to ban all of those cheater accounts in one big purge. I swear that he also said that they might make it known who was cheating since there are tier 1 players cheating and such. He described the cheating program they have been detecting and making logs of, it was definitely Helios although he never said the actual name.

I'm pretty leery of this. CryEngine devs have said in the past that Helios is pretty undetectable without direct observation (even then fairly difficult) and I doubt PGI has done the work to actually check for that. I'm just hoping they don't go on a witchhunt and ban a bunch of legitimately good players just to show the rest of the userbase that they're tracking hackers, really, honestly, look at this list! Or use it as an excuse to ban players they just want to get rid of, which I am not convinced PGI is above doing.

If they're going to do this they should provide some evidence for why they're banning certain players, rather than just publishing a list with a generic "these guys cheat btw" boilerplate.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

mashed_penguin posted:

They published a list the last time they banned people. :rip: modpud.

RCP

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

Also running some numbers, even with a 10% range cap the BLR-1s will still have a ERLL range of 810, which is actually fine for most maps. Not the death knell people seem to be complaining about.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

Great Beer posted:

Feeling nervous?

Everyone who is decent at this game should be.

edit: didn't realize my post about the BLR-1S range actually posted, got a 502 gateway error when I tried.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

Number19 posted:

As Russ said last night, the cheat tool website itself states that we successfully detected them, back when people got banned for it last year. I don't know now much more you need than that. We're not going to publish more details on how they were detected because that gives away more information to your opponent which is a bad idea in a cat and mouse game.

That's fair and does ease my concerns, but I hope you understand some people's trepidation about the process.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

Bait and Swatch posted:

So your a player who likes ERLLs and is nervous about the upcoming ban wave you say? Time to throw you in the pond and see if you float.

I don't use ERLLs, they're too hot and too easily countered, but I know a lot of people do now, including a ton of people in this thread. Troll elsewhere.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

Bait and Swatch posted:

Why are you getting so angry over something that hasn't even happened yet? Is it a foregone conclusion that you will be banned?

????

I am calmer than a still lake, meanwhile you caused the death of Sergei Preminin in 1986 after he prevented a runaway reaction caused by an explosion in missile tube 6.

A Curvy Goonette fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 30, 2016

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/russ_bullock/status/693928935139123200

well russ, you're the one who buffed the dropships

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

Tujague posted:

I never read any battletech novels, but I actually think the classic "successor states" is a cool setting with lots of opportunity. If you can ignore the 1980s weaboo garbage and rampaging Mary Sueism, it's not terrible. Mysterious Comstar, pirate kingdoms in the darkness, civilization trying to find a way forward after generations of devastation. The Kentares Massacre. Mercenaries. The 100th take on sci-fi Space Feudalism. Little blurbs in the mech descriptions about whatever badass legendary Whitworth pilot got killed on some frozen ice world. Very charming stuff.

Then the Clans show up and everything just becomes retarded. There's like twenty different clans all built on principles reflected by whatever stupid-name rear end baboon or catfish, like, loving animal names? Seriously? And then they built mechs that look like the animals, of course. And there's, like, kung fu rituals and TRIBAL LOREMASTERS and poo poo, and one of the clans is religious and one of them is all about money or something, and blah blah blah. It would be like trying to get the NFL to work if they players had to live a life inspired by tigers and dolphins and pirates instead of just being named after them.

So the clans invade and smash up the place, and then they have to stop after a big e-honoure ritual showdown, and then every Mary Sue in the galaxy goes and fights them on their home turf. Then Com Star gets taken over by religious fanatics and attacks everyone else in a JIHAD and a whole new generation of Mary Sues fights them. The whole thing makes about as much sense as building a war machine in the shape of a human being and sticking the pilot in the head piece and having it lumber around getting stuck on fences, and it can't lift up its arms to fire from shoulder-height.

Ah, Kentares. 52 million Davion combatants bravely defeated by superior Kuritan tactics and bushido. As Alexander the Great wrote in The Art of War, the way to honor your enemy the most is to provide no mercy to them, even when asked.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

EoRaptor posted:

For the Heavy Metal, the closest you can get to the current meta is this: HEAVY METAL. The XL engine makes it a bit flaky, but the hitboxes aren't too bad.

The Muromets is currently triple AC5, as the benefit of the UAC5 isn't worth the tonnage right now.

Close, but swap the AC10 for a gauss rifle and move other poo poo to make it work. It's not going to be good ether way, but AC10s are pretty blah.

It's just not a great mech anyway.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

teepo posted:

i might take a gamble and use some of my remaining mc on the st. ives blue

plz overquirk the vindicators

lmao are you serious

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Wish theyd just write down the names in the sales, what the gently caress is a BNC-3E? What is a GHR-5H? WVR-6K?
I need to know what to be excited about!

Grasshoppers are kinda garbage anyway, definitely worth ignoring. Too big and they require an XL engine which makes them really squishy

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

Cheetahs are easy to pop, just go for side torsos. Maybe unplug your joystick next time and use a mouse.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

People buying the kodiak without seeing the actual in-game model are nuts. If those arms (with all the hardpoints) are low that's a huge blow against it.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

Washout posted:

Have you played much organized CW from the clan side? Have you faced a team with nothing but 12 2xERLL timberwolves/stormcrows/hellbringers?

Yes and yes. They're easy as piss to counter.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

EoRaptor posted:

This is my favourite of the timberwolves: TBR-C

Though it ends up crit locked, the precision means a bit of patience and you can always take apart another mech before it can deal damage in kind.

Alternately, this version TBR-C should kill things faster, but in reality it's a wash. The upcoming TC buffs might make it more noticeably powerful, though.

uhhh

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

Stringbean posted:

To prove that any mech can get 500 damage, I'm going to play some of the worst mechs. I'll get a Vindicator first because I literally never ever see them on the field.

I think in the 3-4 months I've been playing... I've seen one, once. There must be a reason and that reason must be because they suck.

Scared, idiot?

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

Stringbean posted:

Either missing the tone of your post or you're insulting me :( I think it would be a fun personal challenge.

Was I being a dick?

four flamers, no tonnage for mercy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

Are there any plans to make the radar dep notification sound more noticeable? It's super quiet and I can barely heard it with Mumble and other stuff going on.

• Locked thread