Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

They are more than happy to name and shame and have done it previously. I don't imagine this will be different.

Also, Washout, I am not sure the laser penalties on Stormcrows and Timberwolves have really effected anything. The heat differentials made a bigger difference to me on my clan mechs, it made my Hellbringer slightly more annoying but had no difference on my Ebon Jaguar which is my highest KDR Shitfucker running 2xUAC10s and 5 ersmls. I only got timberwolves recently so my metric on that is meaningless on SRM builds.

If anything blanket capping IS energy range quirks is going to be terrible, especially as a grand cap. Who the gently caress cares if a Locust gets a 50% on one laser.

But if I'm not mistaken the whole point of the town halls recently have been assessing feedback and for the last several iterations Russ has pretty much had his head out of his rear end and the awful never happened and we only got better SRM grouping.

I played stormcrow a shitload before it got nerfed and it was way amazing, still fantastic after the nerf but giving it buffs of any kind are going to propel it back to the top of poo poo mountain. Especially in conjunction with limiting the range of all the non clan laserboats. There are a lot of IS robots that are really only viable because they currently have a 20%+ range bonus on lasers. Idk about other goons but I do a lot of laser shooting out to 400-500 and reducing the range bonus directly removes the ability to shoot out that far.

If the IS range nerf is capping at 10% generic and 10% large laser or whatever then that is pretty much fine, but if it's being reduced across the board down to a total of 10% then it's just a huge nerf and totally unwarranted. Especially clan wars will be hugely negatively affected by it.

Washout fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jan 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
The stormcrow is still amazing what are you even talking about

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Fil5000 posted:

The stormcrow is still amazing what are you even talking about

I'm saying why are they removing all negative clan quirks, the top 4 clan robots are still the best robots in the game even with the existing nerfs why would you rebuff them back to previous levels while at the same time nerfing IS laser range.

In some situations IS robots are currently better (BJ-1X compared to a mpl crow the BJ is better, for mid range fighting a laser vomit crow is better than a 1X tho) but they are going to directly nerf the BJ's structure too, and overall the clams are way better neways.

Washout fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jan 30, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Washout posted:

What a bunch of poo poo. Lets buff the OP mechs again and then gently caress over IS mechs some more, oh wait.

They're only capping the range quirks. If they add something else to compensate, this is a net good change because gently caress laser snipers.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

They're only capping the range quirks. If they add something else to compensate, this is a net good change because gently caress laser snipers.

Won't this make a bunch of mechs complete garbage now?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Laser quirks are actually fun to play with. I love my 337m IS medium lasers :colbert:

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

kingcom posted:

Won't this make a bunch of mechs complete garbage now?

Not particularly, as mentioned IS has some pretty awesome laser duration and heat gen quirks. It just means you can't sit back further and play sniper with medium lasers. It's not really a game breaker as far as I'm concerned.

Re: Last nights CW
We don't need to be try hards. We don't need perfect drop decks either. I've run CW before with a trash can and starter mechs and we still rolled them. We were all incredibly unfocused. People were gabbing about upcoming mechanic changes and various other topics as we were entering bases. Yell bosses seemed distracted and off their game (which is fine, we all have off days), and when yell bosses were actually on top of what was going on - no one listened (i.e. "Everyone Push in there now", queue people stopping and getting torn to pieces in a choke point). We had a few people who were completely new to CW too, so there's that too. Everything was just... Off. It didn't feel like a normal night of CW. Just shake it off,. And move forward with a more positive attitude.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Regardless of the scaling, the legs on a nova need to be shorter.

The Saddest Robot posted:

It's 14 flamer nova time.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jan 30, 2016

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012

The Saddest Robot posted:

It's flamer time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmin5WkOuPw

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Last night's cw was fun even though we got pooped on. Distracted nights are fine to me, especially since you can expect at least two players two be drunk.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Speaking of drunk and stupid, we should have an idiot night where we try something gimmicky.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I left to get a beer while ready, I came back last night as everyone dropped in lights. I still had Ghost Dad selected. It was like I was running some welfare scam or something

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

ZenVulgarity posted:

Speaking of drunk and stupid, we should have an idiot night where we try something gimmicky.

Goons do that every drat day. At this point, showing up with focused mech builds would be a gimmick night for us.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Thronde posted:

I'm not. My poo poo is all purple/green/gold snowfall because it's classy and reminds me of hometown.

New Orleans? I hope it's New Orleans BECAUSE Y'ALL KNOW Y'ALL DIDN'T START THAT poo poo IN THE STATES.

Y'all ain't even got Joe Cains grave, ffs.

Mardi Gras is a classist festival where the poors fight over trinkets thrown at them by the rich. I hates it and it triggers me.

e: Go Auburn!

DiHK fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 30, 2016

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

ZenVulgarity posted:

Last night's cw was fun even though we got pooped on. Distracted nights are fine to me, especially since you can expect at least two players two be drunk.

You're doing it wrong if 2 people are sober. Get on my level of liver disease.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
One thing to note -- the energy range quirk cap is just for generic energy range, not weapon-specific ones. So you could still see robots with range quirks for say, medium pulse lasers

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

DiHK posted:

New Orleans? I hope it's New Orleans BECAUSE Y'ALL KNOW Y'ALL DIDN'T START THAT poo poo IN THE STATES.

Y'all ain't even got Joe Cains grave, ffs.

Mardi Gras is a classist festival where the poors fight over trinkets thrown at them by the rich. I hates it and it triggers me.

e: Go Auburn!

That explains so much.

high six
Feb 6, 2010
Any good Spider-5D builds? I'm using 3 medium pulses and an ECM right now.

Also, any tips on grinding C-bills effectively? I'd like to give some other mechs a tryout and need money.

high six fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 30, 2016

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
On Gimmicks:

This is essentially the reason I am playing with goons. Get together, brainstorm the most hosed-up-hilarious combinations of mechs and trials, and have the best time ever.
Oh we all died in a fire? We're all still laughing so hard we can barely speak coherently.

Sometimes you win, and the awesomeness defies description.

Not for every match, VERY GOOD for morale.

On Tryhard:

Everyone loves to win, nobody wants to be poo poo on for making a mistake, and if you have been playing this game longer, yes that usually makes you 'better'.

As always, some people take poo poo way too seriously, and actually get Mad When Goons Lose at Robutts. This is bad, and makes people not want to play with you.

The key to solving this one is to stop giving a gently caress. If you find yourself actually mad at a loss, take a break, laugh it off, or ffs try a morale match (see above, re: gimmicks).
Have fun playing the game you are currently devoting so much time and energy to.

Or keep yelling and making snide comments. Then wonder "why is nobody on mumble?"

On Tonnage:

Somebody make a friggin' chart of nGoons/%fun where %fun is proportional to tonnage difference. I'm pretty sure the optimum is somewhere in groups of 5-8.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Bentai posted:

Good thing modern WoL is already mediocre!

Old Wol was also :mediocre:

If any goons get caught in this ban wave we are going to laugh loving long and hard at you.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Herb Dington posted:

Somebody make a friggin' chart of nGoons/%fun where %fun is proportional to tonnage difference. I'm pretty sure the optimum is somewhere in groups of 5-8.

Groups of 10-12 playing fast light/medium wolfpacks rather than relying on anchor assaults are really fun too.

But everyone's gotta buy into the wolfpack, if someone tries to bring a dad they're going to die alone and angry since they'll be the only thing that can't reposition quickly.

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

TeeMerk posted:

ee: Someone needs to do a basic write up for CW

We need to go do some CW with people who know what they're doing. I'll be around all day, maybe we can go TS hopping.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Beraiye posted:

We need to go do some CW with people who know what they're doing. I'll be around all day, maybe we can go TS hopping.

I'm playing the odd game with -MS- now, these guys seem pretty chill and also know what they are doing.

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

Alchenar posted:

I'm playing the odd game with -MS- now, these guys seem pretty chill and also know what they are doing.

Yeah, I've got a lot of friends over there too. Old teammates from a previous guild. If they can stand it, the rest must be pretty okay.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:

HexDog posted:

I can't type out what he said word for word, but the gist was that they have been tracking a list of players who are cheating. Really soon here they are going to ban all of those cheater accounts in one big purge. I swear that he also said that they might make it known who was cheating since there are tier 1 players cheating and such. He described the cheating program they have been detecting and making logs of, it was definitely Helios although he never said the actual name.

I'm pretty leery of this. CryEngine devs have said in the past that Helios is pretty undetectable without direct observation (even then fairly difficult) and I doubt PGI has done the work to actually check for that. I'm just hoping they don't go on a witchhunt and ban a bunch of legitimately good players just to show the rest of the userbase that they're tracking hackers, really, honestly, look at this list! Or use it as an excuse to ban players they just want to get rid of, which I am not convinced PGI is above doing.

If they're going to do this they should provide some evidence for why they're banning certain players, rather than just publishing a list with a generic "these guys cheat btw" boilerplate.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

They published a list the last time they banned people. :rip: modpud.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

mashed_penguin posted:

They published a list the last time they banned people. :rip: modpud.

RCP

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

Also running some numbers, even with a 10% range cap the BLR-1s will still have a ERLL range of 810, which is actually fine for most maps. Not the death knell people seem to be complaining about.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

What are clans that are fun to play with

MS has been cool and good whenever I solo dropped

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

A Curvy Goonette posted:

I'm pretty leery of this. CryEngine devs have said in the past that Helios is pretty undetectable without direct observation (even then fairly difficult) and I doubt PGI has done the work to actually check for that. I'm just hoping they don't go on a witchhunt and ban a bunch of legitimately good players just to show the rest of the userbase that they're tracking hackers, really, honestly, look at this list! Or use it as an excuse to ban players they just want to get rid of, which I am not convinced PGI is above doing.

If they're going to do this they should provide some evidence for why they're banning certain players, rather than just publishing a list with a generic "these guys cheat btw" boilerplate.

Feeling nervous?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

The most fun you can have in this game is crushing pubbies and laughing at them and their lovely builds. It can be hard to do this if people aren't focusing or 3 people are running the infamous 3 ppc spider.

But yeah gimmicks are fun just don't do it every round because losing 20 games in a row because you're essentially down 4 players isn't fun for anyone.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

Great Beer posted:

Feeling nervous?

Everyone who is decent at this game should be.

edit: didn't realize my post about the BLR-1S range actually posted, got a 502 gateway error when I tried.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

A Curvy Goonette posted:

As Russ said last night, the cheat tool website itself states that we successfully detected them, back when people got banned for it last year. I don't know now much more you need than that. We're not going to publish more details on how they were detected because that gives away more information to your opponent which is a bad idea in a cat and mouse game.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

Number19 posted:

As Russ said last night, the cheat tool website itself states that we successfully detected them, back when people got banned for it last year. I don't know now much more you need than that. We're not going to publish more details on how they were detected because that gives away more information to your opponent which is a bad idea in a cat and mouse game.

That's fair and does ease my concerns, but I hope you understand some people's trepidation about the process.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Great Beer posted:

Feeling nervous?

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

A Curvy Goonette posted:

Everyone who is decent at this game should be.

edit: didn't realize my post about the BLR-1S range actually posted, got a 502 gateway error when I tried.

So your a player who likes ERLLs and is nervous about the upcoming ban wave you say? Time to throw you in the pond and see if you float.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

But for real lmao at the idea of being so good at the game you get lumped into a cheater banwave

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

Bait and Swatch posted:

So your a player who likes ERLLs and is nervous about the upcoming ban wave you say? Time to throw you in the pond and see if you float.

I don't use ERLLs, they're too hot and too easily countered, but I know a lot of people do now, including a ton of people in this thread. Troll elsewhere.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I'm worried I'll get banned because I advocate the use of SRM4s with Artemis over SRM6s with Artemis on the atlas S and D-DC despite the fact 4s are better than 6s on this case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

mashed_penguin posted:

Old Wol was also :mediocre:

If any goons get caught in this ban wave we are going to laugh loving long and hard at you.

If I get banned, it will be for using cl ER LL to draw dickbutt in the snow.

Drone_Fragger posted:

I'm worried I'll get banned because I advocate the use of SRM4s with Artemis over SRM6s with Artemis on the atlas S and D-DC despite the fact 4s are better than 6s on this case.

oh my god no they're not :cripes:

• Locked thread