Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

TipsyMcStagger posted:

So I have the following:

Lights:
Artic Cheetah (currently getting to master)
Adders,
Spiders, (Mastered)
Locusts
Ravens
Jenners

Medium:
Blackjacks (Mastered)
hunchies (Mastered)
centurions (Mastered)
wolverines (Mastered)
nova
storms (Mastered)
Cics (Mastered)
Shadows (Elited)
Griffs
Trebs (Mastered)

Heavy:
Dragons
Cataphracts
Jaggers
Timbers
Summoners
Thunderbolts

Assaults:
Atlas (mastered)
Dires
battle
stalkers (Mastered)
warhawks

Wondering what mechs i should look at unlocking first or buying and unlocking. What do you guys like to pilot? I like mediums mostly

Do you have that relatively new ECM Griffon? Might as well master those as the SRM buffs benefit them.

Otherwise you really don't need to be buying any new mechs. I guess maybe try the Banshee-3E and just wait for the IIC jenners and hunchbacks to be on sale for cbills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Nah,

I have that first clans pack of griffins which didn't have that one. I might do those ones after arctic cheetah.

Just more looking for what are good mechs that people like to play right now.

Are the gargoyles/Executioners/Hellbringers any good? I don't really like assaults much but was thinking of drudging through the dire wolf ones for DAKKA WOLFS

Oh ok. Well the ECM Griffon is pretty dope right now. Gargoyles are trash. Executioners have only one good build (boat 12 small pulse lasers) but that
build is loving baller as gently caress. Hellbringers are good, kinda not as good as Timbers, but have ECM and a broad range of things you can do with them especially if you know how to exploit ECM.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

Marijuana Nihilist posted:

Griffin + ECM + 4SRM6 is brutal

Having exhaustively ran both, the 4SRM4 w/ Artemis is way more lethal. Artemis makes a very significant difference. I can duel and core out someone way faster, 4SRM6 gives some higher damage numbers post game if I just shoot at assaults, but against mediums and lights the spread is such that a few missiles miss. Those missing missiles combined with the ones spreading to side torsos end up making a huge difference in a brawl.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

Well for what it's worth brawling is back. SRMs are good. Both 19 and Skoll ran Atlases together (Atlai?) and it was glorious when the team didn't just outrun them and leave them to die in the back.

But when everyone got on top of each other and they stormed in? The Atlas is scary, brawling was a thing again, SRMs flew. It was sorta like beta again and just a bunch of Birds in mumble shooting robits and hanging out. With a decent win ratio.

(Edit: just to be clear the Awesome is bad, so it's not specifically like Beta.)

Sharks Dont Sleep fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Dec 10, 2015

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

sebmojo posted:

I just tried this and yeah it's way better. Cooler too. What engine are you using? I'm on an XL 275 but I might try a 300 since i have one in a jenner.

Lol, a 285 I pulled out of a Founders Jenner I've never once played. If I wanted to optimize Id probably swap to the 300 but whatever.

I'd strongly advise against using an XL. This is a symmetrical brawler, ECM might keep you from getting focused but the left arm will eventually go and you WILL be losing side torsos.

The only IS medium I think I use an XL on is that one wolverine with the LL quirks. I want that thing to go as fast as possible because it's a long range flanker sorta deal.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

Pumpkinreaper posted:

Hrmm, I'll make garbagebot my second mech then. The king crab and dong mechs look pretty appealing too, though they lack buttshooting capabilities.

The Urbanmech/garbagebot cannot be bought with ingame cash/c-bills. You have to spend actual money to get it.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

Oh Snapple! posted:

So I decided to start this stupid thing back up because it's Christmas break and robots seem like a good way to pass time til January. Did they do some sort of wipe of accounts that hadn't played for a long time at some point? I still have all the MC I got with my founder thing, along with the Centurion and Atlas I bought way back when, but my c-bills are completely gone - which is fine I guess, the cadet bonuses keep giving me nice amounts, but still.

I'll need to actually buy a thing eventually, so I wanna ask: Is the Summoner as bad as some of the posts here make it out o be? It was always a favorite of mine for brawling in MW3/MW4. If it really is, what are some good alternatives at the Heavy level?

It's possible you haven't played since closed beta, where there was a wipe. That was years ago.

And yes the Summoner is just bad. You could probably make one work now if you boat SRMs, but your clan heavy alternatives are basically in descending order: Timberwolves, Ebon Jaguars (Which are like small timberwolves), or Hellbringers which have ECM.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

The Repo Man posted:

SMN-PRIME

I thought Summoners were garbage too until I built this. It looks unassuming, but when I use it I'm almost always top damage and I get more than a few kills out of it. It's an amazing quick play mech, but it's bad for CW because of ammo limits. I know most people in the thread prefer high alphas, but this guy gets the job done even if it looks weak and squishy. But then I tend to be good with mechs that aren't that great on paper (Kit Fox), and poo poo with mechs that should be legit amazing (I'm looking at you, Thunderbolt.)

Yeah but can't you do that same (or similar) build on a Hellbringer and have ECM?

Interesting thing tonight we ran a lot of 12 mans with diminishing returns on weight and ended up with a very medium stacked crew that was very brawl heavy. ... And went like 12/0 to 12/3 like, a lot.

Later we split up and in a four or five man didn't have such weight limitations and managed three loving splat-atlas with a 6xMG Urbamech following along at it was absolutely ridiculous. Motherfucking Urbie stole all the kills because really who is looking at it when three Atlas mechs rolled up, but good god it was comedy the whole time.

Sharks Dont Sleep fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Dec 12, 2015

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

quote]

The Repo Man posted:

I've never tried it, but it seems like the Hellbringer is at it's best when boating lasers. You could put two U-AC5 in the right torso, and maybe a lot of small lasers in the left? That 5 tons makes a pretty big difference when it comes to ammo though, and that Summoner build needs as much ammo as it can get. I could probably try it at some point to see if it's as viable.

Ok but 2xUAC5, two mediums, and two smalls, is a really really bad loadout for a Clan heavy.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

Oh Snapple! posted:

Would doubly appreciate some suggestions for a couple each of IS mediums and heavies so I can start building a drop deck.

Thunderbolt 5SS, Thunderbolt 9SE, Wolverine 6K, and then maybe a Firestarter S or K if CW light rushes are still a thing.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

Love Stole the Day posted:

This is the first time I've heard of Omnipods outside of MW4. You can BUY them now?! So by that logic, it doesn't matter at all which one I get because I can swap the hardpoints with Omnipods and do wtf I want?

The legs of the Shadowcat A offer +12 structure vs the +7 of all the other variants iirc. Mines a mix a of omnipods but I ran mine with ECM (always) and either 3 ER-L, 2LPL, or currently 2SPL and 3xSRM6 w/Artemis. You could swap the SPL for ERML and you'd be doubling the laser range for double the heat. http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=296&l=cd71b26df215dd3b3d30ed9f9dd525dcec359634

Sharks Dont Sleep fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 13, 2015

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

So it's possible to buy an ECM omnipod? I thought it'd just be for E, M, and B. Because if that's the case then A would be better for the tankiness.

Yes, it's 243,276 C-bills for any SHC Omnipod. So just buy the SHC-B left torso (which is the one that has ECM). The only thing that is actually "the mech" is just the center torso. Each leg, each side torso, and each arm are omnipods. Frankenstein together whatever you want.

Sharks Dont Sleep fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 14, 2015

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

Edit: Awful app on phone broke.

A.o.D. posted:

I think I'm done playing MWO until the next event, or the next wave of aimbot bans comes down. We dropped like 3 or 4 consecutive times against SJR and they weren't even subtle about their cheating.

PGI needs to get this poo poo under control. There's no point even trying to play this game when this crap goes down on the regular.

Yeah man, it was particularly bad tonight. At one point two six-mans ran up against each other with an aimbotter and we had members of his own team spectating him and calling him out.

Sharks Dont Sleep fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 14, 2015

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

Now that I have an Urbanmech it is beautiful. Nevermind that I spent like 5 times its actual cost on giving it DHS/Endo/Ferro, nevermind that I basically can only keep up with the mediums, nevermind that I only have 2 large lasers and 4 machine guns...

No one cares about me. I can just walk behind people, strip their back with lasers, and put them cherry red with MGs before they even realize what is happening.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

SoftNum posted:

That is a weird looking centaur you drew there.

So to avoid douplepost: I think people have been dropping with me and know but I'm running around in a streakcrow right now, and I seem to be.. bad? I don't seem to churn out damage like people say it should? It seems to take forever to get locked on, relative to the time someone is in my reticule, and I don't get many salvos off. Should I be going for different targets? I feel like I'm missing something (apart from just being generally bad and still learning the maps).

As previously mentioned make sure you have a Clan Active Probe equipped. Also swap your head Omnipod to the SCR-A (I think it's the A, whichever has the energy slot) and equip a TAG as well. It makes a HUGE difference as overlapping ECM happens often.

(TAG is basically a lock on laser you should hold down at all times.)

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

TjyvTompa posted:

Just picked up this game yesterday and it's pretty fun but I have a hard time understanding what everything in the mechlab means.

What is "Dynamic armor" that appears in some slots when you remove equipment?
What are the numbers above the different components (arms, legs, torso et.c.) that you can raise/decrease and why is there 2 of them on the torso parts?
What is the difference between AC/5 and Ultra AC/5? They seem almost identical but there is a big difference in price.

Your mech has a number of slots. Dynamic armor iirc means you have slots that need to be dedicated to armor but don't have a relevant position associated. They'll shift around as you put stuff in.

The numbers are your armor values (hit points) top means front bottom means back. Once those get shot through you start taking structure damage. It's why ingame your mech status as a line around you that will go yellow-to-red before your core does. Limbs don't have directionality.

ACs for IS fire a single shot. (Clan ACs fire multiple so it's like three shot burst doing 1.whatever when you pull the trigger.). UACs for IS and clan fire in bursts, so that damage is across a burst. Also you can "double tap" a UAC and fire it again before its cool down is over with a percentage chance that it might jam and get locked out for a bit.

Sharks Dont Sleep fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Dec 18, 2015

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

TeeMerk posted:

9 urbies 3 atlas is clearly the way to go.

It certainly walked all over the other team.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

Not a Step posted:

Should I buy Urbanmechs and have fun with dumb robots or save up for Stormcrows and have fun with stupidly good robots?

Three urbies is like what, 1/3rd the cost of a Stormcrow? I mean yeah it costs like 2mil to pro mode them but who cares for a joke mech; a clan LPL is basically the cost of one of these trash cans*.

*It might not be, I have no idea how much a clan LPL costs off the top of my head, it just isn't cheap.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

Nuebot posted:

Neat, hopefully it doesn't get taken away but :shrug: I'm not actually that attached to the name if it gets changed it gets changed. One thing I've been surprised about though is that aside from that one ragey game so far I haven't run into too many super serious angry people. Mostly the people who I've been running into are pretty chill even if we get stomped.

It's really the "BonerHitler" you realize, right? Marijuana is legalized and whatever in a lot of places.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

CISscum posted:

Well, boners and Hitler are also legal in a lot of places.

But not BonerHitlers. It's an important distinction.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

Stormcrows are better than Shadowcats. They're also lots of fun no matter how you run them.

I'm not arguing with that, however shadowcats are ten tons lighter, have ECM, and are the closest things to LAMs in the game. They basically fly.

Nuebot: This isn't made clear but machineguns basically do nothing against armor. You have to actually target an opponent and look for an area that's been stripped of armor. Against an unarmored spot they do full damage and "crit-seek", IE: Destroy things equipped there like guns, ammo, or heat sinks. Hence they REALLY don't need a lot of ammo, I use half a ton for 4 MGs and just stay really tight on firing them until I know specifically what I have to target.

I wouldn't recommend a half ton on 4mgs unless you really know what you're doing but a single ton on 3 or less is going to be fine if you remember to only use them on mechs that have armor stripped off.

Sharks Dont Sleep fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Dec 21, 2015

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

alright everyone pack it up, i just beat the game.

that's right, i just beat mechwarrior.

i have the best possible build for the best 'mech in the game. there's literally no reason to ever play anything else from now on:

sorry for breaking the curve, everyone.

Homey that's the exact loving build I linked you two weeks ago when you first bought the drat thing.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

As a lot of birds have been saying, it's basically cowardice. A lot of pubbies know how to get into position. Even a good one. But the "first one through," the act of actually pushing over? They're not gonna do it. Sometimes they'll work with you if you've got an assault lance and can jump on ingame comms and tell them what you're doing in the sense that they can see you literally storming over.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

^ 30 bucks would get you the Hankyu package, which would give you the three arctic cheetahs you need to basic out the chassis. And you'd be getting the Invasion variant one with a 30% income boost.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

Bait and Swatch posted:

E: For anyone who played planetside, my wife, a couple friends and I just teamed with BUzzCutPsycho and his "The Enclave" cronies.

Oh god. I am so sorry for you. Though I am laughing.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

Oh Snapple! posted:

Still can't decide between grabbing the champ Stormcrow or some hero mech. Stormcrows own and it's a great cheap buy-in on them but more mechs with bonus c-bills also owns :negative:

Champ mechs are +XP, not Cbills. If you want a +30% Cbill Stormcrow you have to buy it for 55$ a'la carte or get whatever package it's in from Clan Wave 1 for the (I) variant.

As far as IS heroes go, at 50% off the Sparky is a solid laser boat. It used to be relatively bad but with the last quirk wave its PPC quirks became generalized energy quirks. So you can run LPLs and mediums in it with an XL that's covered by the griffins crazy arms. The Arrow (blackjack) isn't bad either (3 well quirked large lasers and six machine guns) ...and at 50% off the Pirates Bane (locust) is only 700mc or something for a 150kph ECM light that can do four medium lasers (or three and a medium pulse if you want to get crazy.).

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

The Repo Man posted:

Don't leave out the Huggin. Once you get good at aiming SRMs, and put an SRM 4 cool down on it, it can still brawl and take down much larger mech with ease. It just can't fight lights too well, sadly.

I thought with the last quirk pass the Huggin lost its amazing ROF quirks for SRM4s? I mean if it still works then yeah by all means consider it too, I was just under the impression it got hurt bad so I didn't list it. I am more than happy to be wrong.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

Oh Snapple! posted:

Right. I meant that it's basically the choice between buying into a very good but also very expensive line in the Stormcrows at a reduced and attractive price or buying a hero mech in an unrelated line for that precious Cbill boost.

Honestly I did look at the Sparky because the Griffin line looks pretty good (especially for SRMing), but the XL engine is kind of unattractive to me. I am nowhere near good enough at shielding or spreading damage yet so the prospect of losing a side torso and thus gettin' blown up is a real one.

I misread and thought you meant the Stormcrows had cbills.

But regarding Sparky and griffons- I ran mine without an XL and it was still excellent. And the thing to consider regarding spreading and side torsos is that the Griffon chassis has basically insane arms with huge rear end shields sticking off it. You don't need to be a huge skilled twister, if you just actively flank (the 2n and 3m do this amazingly) your sides are protected regardless. The 2N benefits from ECM and the 3M benefits from asymmetrics but I never even noticed it.

It's just not a chassis that's really gonna challenge your twist skills.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

Zernach posted:

Added my name to the WoL list, ingame name is Zernach.

I like PPCs entirely too much because the AWS-8Q just clicks with me, are any of the IS mediums with PPC quirks any good?

No, because PPCs are currently absolute loving garbage. For similar (it might actually be better I can't be assed to check) damage and like half the heat you can just use large pulse lasers.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

Ezekeel posted:

I also took a break of 2.5 years and only recently came back but what I gathered so far: 'Laservomit' is the meta now,

No. The previous meta was long range sniping. With the current modifications and quirk passes laser boating still works (it never didn't), but SRMs are now incredibly effective and if you can brawl with SRMs you should do so.

If anyone suggests using a PPC, don't. Large Pulse Laser instead. ERLL if you insist on range.

And just because there seems to be some confusion:

NEVER PUT AN XL ON A KING CRAB.

Never. There is no build where this will help you. If you can be seen your torsos can be hit. You can't twist away and arm block, crab arms don't block. You will instead just present a side torso to be focused down for you to die faster. If you are being shot just wobble your nose to try and spread damage between your front torso armor, like just draw sideways figure 8 with your mouse. If you want speed don't play a King Crab.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

Please, let's not troll new players. There are enough terrible King Crabs out there already.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

^^ TTK wasn't as bad in beta, no. But what happened is that they added clan mechs (which basically had higher alphas on guns with higher range) and changed drop teams per match from 8 mechs to 12. So you had 50% more mechs per match, many of which could be clan and have better guns. With organized groups who can aim? TTK tanked.

Astroniomix posted:

but if you're running a standard on the quad UAC/5 crab you're a moron. (anything below a 350 engine is too slow...

You are in insane territory here. Half a crab with UAC5s is still two UAC5s and not loving dead. If you can't handle under 350 you are loving awful and/or running solo-pub, which is not something you should be doing with a 100 ton assault. Run a different mech.

Seriously just loving stop.

Sharks Dont Sleep fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Dec 31, 2015

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

Oh Snapple! posted:

It really would. Like, I'm never going to spend money on these packs (unless I come into way too much money) once the bonuses are gone because it's always going to be on my mind that I'm getting purposely worse value on them - continuing to display those rewards on the shop page for them just further reinforces this.

And god forbid they actually post the quirks. They might sell three times as many packs if the "in testing" quirks are remotely workable.

For instance the Rifleman; It is a hot garbage Jaegermech. Less tonnage, center torso sticking out to be easier shot at. Sold without quirks listed. But good quirks could actually make it really useful and it's stupid as poo poo to be trying to sell these packages without presenting the quirks.

Sharks Dont Sleep fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jan 2, 2016

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

^ my 2xUAC10 5xERSL Ebon jaguar is by far my highest KD mech with the burst changes. If I brought out my Dakka Dire it might beat it. Clan UACs are remarkably better with the burst changes.

Bait and Swatch posted:

What makes components and ammo blow up? I keep losing weapons in my atlas, but I still have only yellow armor, as in nothing internal is exposed. It's happened multiple times so I don't think it's a bug, I must just not understand how the crit/component destruction gimmick works in this game.

E: took out the whine, left the question

I think there's currently a bug with the Atlas. I had my AC20 get destroyed twice tonight while I was still all around armored (yellowish.). This has never happened on any of my other mechs of which I have waaaay more recent playtime. I had thought maybe it was the AC20 itself, but Ive never lost the AC20 in my Enforcer while the arm was still armored.

Sharks Dont Sleep fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 3, 2016

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

Bolow posted:

I think Gauss can crit through armor?

That's a possibility (I think?) though there's a distinct Gauss sound and spark splash that I don't remember hearing/seeing.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

The UAC20 fires four times yeah. So does the AC20. The U just means you can double fire it and risk a jam. All clan ACs fire in bursts, the ultra just means you can doubletap.

IS ACs don't fire in bursts. This is generally why people consider IS ballistics to be superior.

Sharks Dont Sleep fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 3, 2016

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

sebmojo posted:

Gonna buy me a king crab. Which should I get? I like large guns, being bad at assaults and long walks on the beach at 47.9 kph.

Triple 0. 4xUAC5s or 2xAC20 at your leisure.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

liquidfire posted:

everything but the 5s.

9s = 3 * ER Large
9se = 3 * Large Pulse
5SS = 7 * medium pulse

edit: poo poo i just gave away my CW deck.

The 5S is fine with the generalized quirk pass and probably more fun than the 9S. It's not as "oh god avoid it" as before for basic-ing (and the 9S is not the PPC hellion in CW it used to be.) SRMs work now and there are solid 2xSRM6A+LL builds that are fun to run on it.

A lot of people seem to have the Top Dog now and if you want two others 9SE and 5SS are probably your better two.

Sharks Dont Sleep fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jan 6, 2016

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

Commoners posted:

I'm trying to make the awesome a good mech and may have made a few potential breakthroughs involving spamming the poo poo out of large pulse lasers. The big challenge is getting that particular variant to elite so I can use it.

Dude straight up wait until they rescale it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

sebmojo posted:

can someone do a brief effortpost on how not to suck at assaults?

1. Don't pub drop.
2. Goon drop and make sure everyone knows you're an assault because hopefully they will follow you.
3. You are the Push. Don't push alone, see 1 and 2.
4. You will be focus fired, torso twist and roll damage and while under focus fire attempt to spread damage, don't worry about dealing it because presumably #2, if You can snap fire do so.
5. Be vocal in mumble. You don't need to be yell boss but if you are going to push call it out so you don't go in alone.
6. don't run LRMs.
6.5. Be Randy. Run good builds, hit R, and know how to aim. Aim for the weak points.

7. It would be helpful to know the assault you want to run because many play differently.

Sharks Dont Sleep fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jan 6, 2016

• Locked thread