Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Welp. PoptartsNinja is making me seriously consider going back into this game. I feel lame and bad and sad that I was naive enough to pay for an 80 dollar Founder's Pack and got the Atlas way back when. Fortunately my new laptop means that at least the drat game should run well now.

I will be able to use my old MWO account on the Steam version right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Alrighty, if I wanted to try and (might as well) get some use out of my Founder's Atlas AS7-D, what would be some good builds for it?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

So I have the Founder's Atlas, and the S variant that the dudes with premium got. The dudes I played with tonight said that I might as well pick up a 3rd chassis. Which one should it be?

And then I will pick up a Stormcrow or Timberwolf because those are fun.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I do not enjoy the Atlas much at all. At least not a brawler build. The lack of range with the AC/20 and the SRMs are just murder. They do a lot of damage when you can get close but so many popular maps that pubbies pick have so many long sightlines that closing the distance is suicide. :(

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

This comes with practice -- in many maps (even Polar to an extent) there are routes with available cover that can allow even a slow Atlas to close to brawling range. It still happens that you will occasionally get screwed though, so I feel you

Hmmm. I haven't had much luck finding them. Going around still makes me vulnerable especially on Polar.

Stringbean posted:

I don't know man... If you can't wreck poo poo as an Atlas, you might not be cut out for assaults.

Oh and the HGN-IIC is awesome as a brawler.lb20x/ASRM6s and MPLas. Might turn it into a gauss/LLas sniper thing though.

Yeah maybe. Being that slow kinda sucks, I'm realizing.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Raged posted:

Patience is your best friend. Let the dumb pubbies lead the charge and engage first. The whole time you are behind a building or cover. When the enemy's attention is drawn or they push closer waltz up and start blasting. Polar it's pretty easy to do but takes forever alpine is harder. Honestly on those maps if it looks like both teams are going to sit and wave to each other for 15 min I'll just charge in shoot poo poo and die. I would rather take the loss and have 2 more matches finished by the time the first one is done.

Also build up you multiplier for choosing game mode. If it looks like alpine of polar is going to be picked always choose conquest. It makes those maps actually fun for lights and assaults.

Every time I've been on polar, which has only been a few times, to be fair, the teams just sort of sit at medium or long range which I just can't work at. But yeah sometimes we push together and that's when it works out. Otherwise its pretty frustrating. Kind of why I want a Laserback/Lasercrow/Laser Timber Wolf just so I'm more flexible.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

TheParadigm posted:

The last time I was kinda bored of my usual atlas setup, I threw 3 large lasers on it. It wasn't even any big loss with a 325 laying around.

gave me something to do at longer-ranges anyway.

You can also straight swap the 20 for a gauss if you want.

I enjoy the atlas, but sometimes you just need to mix it up anyway.

How did you get 3 large lasers to fit? Stripped out the AC or the SRMs entirely?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Coming back to the game after a long hiatus. Again.

I've got 3 Atlas chassis, the nice ones I think, and the free Centurion that Founders (:negative:) got.

I also have 20k MC, 5.6 million CBills, and 1,440 hours of banked Premium Time.

What should I do with all that stuff? I'm planning to hold onto the CBills for a Stormcrow variant, then a Timberwolf variant, then maybe a light (Arctic Fox?) variant so I own a variety of mechs. And have stuff to play with.

Right now my only mech that has equipment is my Founder's Atlas. The other two Atlas and the Centurion chassis are stock with all their original equipment still sitting in there, and the lack of variety kind of sucks and also having only one mech means that when I die like a stupid new guy (which is nearly all the time) I have a lot of waiting to do.

Edit: Woops, no the only Atlas I've got equipped with non-standard equipment is my Atlas-S with the 2 MLas, 4 Artemis SRM6, and 1 AC20. 350 STD engine.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jun 29, 2016

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

TheParadigm posted:

That atlas-s setup is stellar. I run very similiar, only with srm4A's for the grouping and heat. The founders atlas is viable, but its not the -S. If you want to elite them, I recommend picking up the D-DC for ecm/srm funtimes.

Loyalty centurion is funtimes. (i think you have the AH-L), and the -D can be worth it. The lb10 quirks are amazing, but utilizing the higher engine cap takes some investment.

Save the MC for a sale. Don't buy champion mechs. Buy heros at discounts, and mechbays on sale. Avoid spending on cbill bundles and poo poo.
Mastery packs can be worth it, actually.

Anyway, the general advice is: Smurphys base page if you look down, lists all hardpoints and quirks side by side(in 2 seperate sections), so if you're looking for something in particular its very handy to search or skim.

What class do you enjoy? What weapons are your faves? playstyle? figuring that out makes it easy to give off the cuff suggestions.

Hmmm. Interesting Heroes, Mechbays, and good Mastery packs when on sale. Otherwise hold onto MC? Got it.

Back when I used to play more (in Beta) my laptop sucked too hard to do anything well other than Assault mechs, so I usually stuck to those or slow snipers. More recently a while back I played some CW with some Higby's Heroes goons and the Timber Wolf free mech was a nice mix of armor and speed and easy to use weapons (medium lasers only.) Same with the Stormcrow, only a bit squishier which was a bit of a problem in my inexperienced hands. Still they were free mechs and I haven't had enough time with the other classes to give them a fair shake.

So I really can't give a fair estimate of what class I would really like so far. Sniper assaults are apparently unpopular and Brawler assaults are fun on the occasions when you manage to get in close. Otherwise you just get murdered at a range which really sucks.

So far I enjoy lasers for their ease of use, but ACs and SRMs have roughly the same velocity on the Atlas so it is really fun just pasting someone with an AC/20 SRM strike. Incredibly useless at any range beyond maybe 300 meters though.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I figure I should probably run around with the Stormcrow and the Timber Wolf trial mechs more. Brawling is really fun but it seems to be too often situational in my Atlas. Makes me feel sad. :(

I do not like Lights, at least not now.

Flanking and harassing with the Stormcrow was fun. And the Timber Wolf was pretty enjoyable too.

One match on Frozen City let me sneak up close to enemies in my Atlas and open up on them. Since they were somewhat spread out that meant that I couldn't be taken down easily, and with the help of 2 other friendlies, I got 5 kills that round. So brawling is awesome! ....when I can make it work. :negative:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Ooooh I'm really torn between the laser Timber Wolf and the laser Stormcrow. Not sure which one I should get first.

I already have a Centurion in the stable. Maybe it would be nice to own a Heavy mech first?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Timbers are loving amazing and how should i say, more forgiving than stormcrows.
Mainly because theyre 20 tons heavier and has jumpjets.

Also you can go hogge wilde with build variety, im not loving kidding.

Yeah I definitely feel the more forgiving bit. I dunno. Even when playing conservatively I have a hard time surviving in my Stormcrow, and usually I'm able to flank ok in my Timber, when the Stormcrow can't really take much return fire.

I'm bad at the game. Trying to get behind people who are shooting team mates just lets their friend shoot my back, often.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

90% of the time I die much faster in the Stormcrow even when I'm being more cautious. :(

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Is Higby dead or something? No contracts. :(

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Skoll posted:

WoL isn't. Three of us are in mumble doing Scout drops.

Well shoot. How does grouping up work? Can I still drop with you guys?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Alright I'm going to pick up a Timber Wolf. Which chassis would be a good buy for my first Timber Wolf? I've liked the laser only trial Timber but I haven't really hosed around with much else. The AC-20/SRM combo of my Atlas has proved fun as well.

I suck at using Gauss Rifles and PPCs are still kind of meh, aren't they?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

While I hem and haw over which Timber Wolf to buy (Probably the C at this point,) I've been messing with the other Trial mechs. The Jagermech has been really fun, actually. Having the one single Gauss Rifle gimmick can be fun at nailing exposed parts, and since I only have 1 weapon type to worry about the charge-up mechanic doesn't throw me off.

What other mechs play well with a Gauss (or PPC) only loadout? I like being certain that my shots will land at the same place, and first instantly, so I can fire and then immediately start backing up/side-shielding.

Edit: This also applies to other weapons that do all their damage in a single instant. AC/20s are super fun for instance. I'd like a little more range though...

Artificer fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jul 1, 2016

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Thanks for the info.

Yeah I sprung for the C since I wanted both the Ballstic in the arm for maybe an AC/20 gimmick brawler Timber as well as a balanced set of Omnipods to start with that I can mess about with.

Anyone got suggestions for Timberwolf C-pod only builds?

As far as fast firing stuff I looked the quirks up here (http://snafets.de/mwo/quirks.htm) and there are quite a few interesting mechs. How do people recommend mech purchasing? Because of faction warfare I heard that you want to get a single stable of Clan or IS mechs, depending on your group's allegiance. HIGBY which I joined a long while back doesn't seem to have anyone in it nor any active contracts so I'm not quite sure what to do at the moment, but my 1st purchase was the Timber Wolf C. I've got 3 Atlases, one of which I purchased through bad decisions long ago (Founder's Pack) and one was a loyalty reward and one was bought so I could eventually master the mech. I've also got the Loyalty Centurion.

Should I get a set stable of IS or Clan mechs first? Or pick some chassis I like and buy 3 versions of them so I can start mastering them? Or not give any fucks and just start cherry picking the mechs that seem interesting and fun to me?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Yolomon Wayne posted:

For loving around you can try TBR-C, i find Timbers (or clan omnis in general) dont run too well on "pure" chassis builds. Their main strength is combining to find *your* optimum setup.

Depending on the mech, 3 chassis for elite is either mandatory or not an issue at all. Timbers id recommend getting 3, absolutly. Laserboats usually need those double heat basics, ballistic platforms not so much. Still, double basics are nice for every mech, some profit more of them than others though.

Keep in mind that dropship tonnage may change unexpectedly, so you might find your carefully selected 250ton dropdeck invalid by 5 tons tomorrow.

drat. That's a lot of money to save for chassis variants before I can muck about with other 'mechtypes at all. :(

Is it that vital that I go for them immediately now? Aargh. Putting together a dropdeck...I'm just not going to care too much about that now. If I need to I'll fill in space with trial mechs. It doesn't even matter too much since I haven't seen any HIGBY people on anyways. :negative:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Is HIGBY even a Goon unit? I see a lot of goons in the unit roster but there's no mumble information and it's awfully quiet in there at the moment. If it's not active I may try to leave and join one of the two units in the OP.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Wasn't Higby's Heroes one of the Planetside 2 goon units? I faintly remember that I think.

It was but I guess a bunch migrated to MWO? They invited me and I recognized a bunch of names so I joined but that was a long time ago and I dunno if it's still really kicking.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

TjyvTompa posted:

If you want to spend money you should look at the mastery packs in-game, they are a much better value.

And they go on sale every so often, apparently! None of them are of particularly interesting mechs though, it seems like.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

There's a Stormcrow Mastery Pack? Is it ever available on sale for MC?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Oh gently caress no I'm not spending anymore actual money on this.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

So do scouting missions, don't care about invasion unless you have a lot of time and patience?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I don't have time to play today but I want to try and grind out scouting missions tomorrow. Anyone in HIGBY want to grind it out with me?

Or not in Higby. Do you have to be in the same unit to drop together?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

EponymousMrYar posted:

Same faction at the very least.

Soo if we're in different Clans we're screwed?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Yolomon Wayne posted:

So after spending many hours and large parts of my sanity ive done the event, which not only gave me a free mechbay but also rank 3 mercenary which means ive got 2 mechbays.
Time to get another mch in the stables.

Griffins look tauntingly nice, as do shadowhawks, hunback iic for lols or something else down the line like wolverines or something like that.
Although the mauler looks amazing and keeps waving his 5 balistics in front of my eyes, i think im still horribly undergeared in the sub-70 department.

Im at a loss, as usual.
I remember people saying the griffins, especially the 2N are very good. Are medium srm-boats really a thing?

You completed both events? How long did that take you?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Yolomon Wayne posted:

nonononono, i still have enough sanity left to type this, so i obviously only completed the heavy one.
And even that took me basically all of yesterday and most of today, and i im sure i still wouldnt have 10/10 if i didnt get in/on group/ts with some steiners and did the last 4 wins.

I thought the scouting one was supposed to be the easier one? :negative:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Polyakov posted:

Scounting is quite easy, i solo hoofed most of it (all but 3 wins) on saturday, just bring a good medium mech and be prepared to drop in a light and pacman intel while leaving your team to die a couple times.

Huh. I dunno, the stormcrow is too heavy to outrun the enemies.

Edit: I've only really got trial mechs anyways. Theoretically I could just grab intel, shut down somewhere, and then pray they don't find me?

Artificer fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 3, 2016

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Ok being stuck with trial mechs suck. I wish I could load this stormcrow up with SRM6s for pinpoint leg ripping but as it stands my accuracy isnt good enough with the lasers to handle medium and lights only brawling, not to mention that I doubt I will get most damage kill assists this way either. The burst just isn't there. RIP dreams of a free mech I think...

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Kill Most Damage Dealt for the Scouting tournament in a trial Stormcrow just isn't happening. :(

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Gonna hop on at 7:18 in the morning to play because hell yeah got done with some work gently caress it

Any clan members care to join me on scouting missions in mumble?

Edit: Playing scouting missions with a laser heavy mech/team is the loving worst.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jul 4, 2016

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

gently caress I keep blowing myself up via overheating on Caustic Valley.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

All I need are 2 more wins, and 11 more Kill Most Damages. Anyone got tips? This is miserable. I've only got the trial Stormcrow.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Holy poo poo most damage done assists are my last objective I need for scouting missions. This sucks.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Holy hell I did it. I got the Nova. Finally done with scouting missions.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Did you take a faction or are you freelancing?
i.e. can you go IS or are you locked in clans?
What are the current trial mechs for the factions? For scouting purposes i mean.
Do you have the dough to buy a clan medium?

Locked in clans. Arctic Cheetah, Shadow Cat, Stormcrow, Mist Lynx.

Doesn't matter though I'm done now!

Will still take advice though.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Yolomon Wayne posted:

From that lineup, cheetah is probably best choice for scouting if you know ho wto handle that thing.
The trial crow is horribly configured, the cat is a nice sniper but not of great use in 4v4 where it comes down to close-up and personal brawls 99% of the time.

Glad you did it, i still need 4 more wins and 15 intel to get this done, because thanks to the mighty griffins i got drawn ito scoutings.

Cheetah isn't great for getting the Kill Most Damage Assistance challenge. That ended up being my final roadblock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Also the event has been extended until 11th.

It's a miserable enough experience who the hell would go for the Invasion rewards UGH.

• Locked thread