Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

PSA: The Holiday event is up. You have until December 28th at 4:00 am pst to complete a game with 50+ match score.

If you do, then you get 3mil C-bills, 1250 MC, and two free mechs (mechs delivered in March 2018)

Downloaded and played for the first time since ghost heat and third person were added. I also wanted to see how the game looked on a computer that could run it on something other than lower settings. It's changed quite a lot since then. I have no idea what this skill tree is or what good builds are.

Have an old picture of a Flamer Commando chasing a Jenner.

edit: Not sure if I'm going to get back into this game but I'll give the OP a read after work.

Polka_Rapper fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Amechwarrior posted:

Same, I just dropped in a stock BLR-1GP and still got a kill and 5 assists thanks to everyone just looking at my mech and ignoring it for more threatening targets. Finding all the webpages to redeem the poo poo was a massive pain though, but then so was figuring out the games new UI.

I pulled the SRMs out of my SRM Catapult (it seemed to need more tweaking that I wanted to figure out and I think I sold the old engine) and stuck in 2x LRM20 + a crappy engine and as much ammo as I could hold. Got three kills and only ever saw one enemy mech. It shot me with a medium laser and then was instantly cored by my team. I didn't even know what map I was on.

I also apparently sold my Centurion Dickpuncher (still putting up a fight in that screenshot) which makes me sad. At least I got two more mechbays with my free premium currency so I can buy more mechs if I start playing again. In-game name is Polka Rapper and I'd like to join the noble bird warriors of WoL if possible.

Have an album of old school camos I saved a while ago. https://imgur.com/a/GUNyw

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

aniviron posted:

Also MRM Catapults: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=13&l=24526f664000f079df8829915dca35413c0aa0e1 MRMs are not good but they are fun, and still better than LRMs. There are better variants to do that on than the A1 though, some of the other CPLTs get pretty high missile cooldown quirks.

Sweet, I'll check and see which engine I have. I'm at about 14 million spacebucks but I'm willing to throw some at making this work again. LRM/MRM boating is fun though.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

aniviron posted:

As far as the Catapult goes you can be a bit flexible about the engine, I just quickly modified whatever Pattonesque had in his links because it was fast and I'm lazy. You could go for a smaller but heavier light engine, or less ammo for a bigger engine or whatever works. That said, a lot of mechs get use out of a 300XL engine so it's not a bad one to own.

Yeah, I've got an XL 300 in my K2 (formerly a gauss sniper, now a PPC sniper). The A1 currently has an STD 175 that I had lying around for some unknown reason. I might have been working on masteries or whatever it was that required you to play multiple variants of mechs way back when. I also seem to have 4x STD 260 engines, so I can sell three of those and pretty much cover the 4.9 million cost of a second XL 300, assuming I want to do that (edit: my math was off but I'm gonna buy it anyway).

Great Beer posted:

If you're going to do dual MRM40 use the Catapult C4. It has 20% missile cooldown and 10% heat gen instead of 10/5 like the A1. Its also an amazing SRM carrier since it can fall back on being a zombie with two heavily boosted MPLs once the ears or torsos fall off.

Sounds pretty good but I really don't want to buy a THIRD Catapult.

Polka_Rapper fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 28, 2017

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011
I really miss the light in the cockpit that told you if your missile bay doors were open or not.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

aniviron posted:

That's still a thing, it's just that not many mechs have missile bay doors now. Pretty much just CPLT, STK, ARC, I think. The Crab and King Crab as well technically, but the doors do nothing.

Yeah, I was in my A1 but I didn't see anything in the cockpit changing while I was toggling my doors.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Pattonesque posted:

SDR-5K

super-fast LPL spam and some MGs when the components open up

I just got that mech for that exact build. However, I also bought a Crab and blew the rest of my spacebucks on upgrading it instead of buying the LPL, Ferro, Endo-Steel, and XL engine for the Spider. Running the Spider with the stock engine, a ML, and four machine guns is fun already.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Bishyaler posted:

I run a zombie uparmored crab with 6 MPL. It can take hilarious amounts of punishment. Like this but smaller engine, ams, Ferro armor.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=332&l=76a19afca1806fd64f0aae5dd6b42f90834de77b

I basically run that but with less armor, an extra heat sink, and a STD 250 at the moment. I was thinking about upgrading to the XL 305 but I think I'll just pull the XL 300 out of one of my Catapults and use that instead.

Edit: If I move a torso heatsink to an arm, I can fit an AMS + 1 ton of ammo into the build. Like so.

aniviron posted:

That is the best Crab (well I run with a STD250 instead of an XL for even more durability- 3 centerline lasers) but he did ask for non-ML/MPL Crabs.

In that case, just pull two torso heatsinks and all the lasers. It's most likely garbage but it's not a laser build.

Polka_Rapper fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jan 4, 2018

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011
Alright, I have no idea how good it actually is, or if it has a decent place in the current meta, but I've been running a Crab 27B to good effect[1]. If you like cheap builds, spewing out lots of pulse lasers, surviving tons of damage, and clacking your claws menacingly at teammates[2] this one might do the trick.

I first found the Crab because it was on sale. That, and I was looking for a medium mech that was up to date. I had fond memories of playing a Centurion 9-A, the nearly unkillable brawler that could keep fighting without 3/4 of its limbs. I was sad to hear that after four years of being away, the 9A was no longer the beast it had been. I only had a Raven 3L, Catapult A1 and K2, and Atlas D-DC on my account so I must have sold the 9A beforehand. :shrug:

In any case, the Crab has turned out to be a fun and tough little mech for me. The low price tag was a bonus (~5.7 million for a complete build without it being on sale and not counting skills). There are two different versions of the Medium Pulse Laser build that I went through. The main difference is the engine and AMS. Both versions run a little hot, but are perfectly playable even without a skill tree or consumables. There are probably many ways to tweak the builds (light engine instead of an XL perhaps, armor balancing) and skill tree since I'm sure they are not optimized.

STD 250: This build uses the stock engine. Doing so saves a huge chunk of c-bills at the cost of a slightly lower top speed and a single less heatsink. It's also quite a bit tankier.
XL 300: This build uses an XL 300 because I had a spare. The higher speed and ability to run AMS are quite useful and my survivability does not seem to have dropped by much. Admittedly, I'm still working off four years of rust and I generally die fairly quickly no matter what. An XL 305 would also work at the cost of losing AMS. However, either engine nearly doubles the cost of the ENTIRE build.
Skill tree: Get the 13 points in Mech Operations ASAP. After that, fill out Armor Structure and Weapons.

I've found that playing this build as an assassin works the best. 81-97 KPH means you can move fairly quickly and flank around to shoot butts. If the target turns around before you managed to core them, you're probably capable of brawling with them if needed. You can survive a good amount of damage but that doesn't mean you should be engaging in straight-up fights all the time. For teamfights, just remember to think like a crab. To be like a crab. Scuttle sideways around the edges and swoop in to pinch toes.

I'm not sure if I would recommend this as starter mech, but I enjoy playing it and it seems somewhat forgiving.

1. A total fluke of a game where people ignored the Crab scooting around and shooting them.
2. Press the / key to open your claws. Press again to close them. There are little lights in your cockpit that are green when the claws are open and red when they are closed. Keep them closed most of the time.

fromoutofnowhere posted:

As a new player, I was wondering if we could get the OP updated with the new mechs and what people think of them. Also, the folks recommending the Griffin-2N for a starter mech were absolutely correct. I love SRM boating, and this thing is a ton of fun and has taught me a ton about timing, twisting and having the enemy eat my arms, and staying alert to other SRM boats trying to do the same thing to me. I've been able to sneak behind LRM boats and core them several times now, and hunting scouts and other mediums has been an absolute blast.

Either way, playing with you folks on Discord has been a blast, if not a bit frustrating sometimes with my total lack of understanding and ability to do damage.

What build are you using? I'd like a link since I currently only have the medium mech mentioned above and I also enjoy SRM boating.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

fromoutofnowhere posted:

It's the standard Griffin-2n with just 4 SRM6's slapped on and as much ammo as I can pack in the corners. I'm still learning about skills and other crap.

Okay, cool. I didn't buy one yet, but a friend of a friend started playing today and I was going to recommend some cheap starter mechs that are fun and effective once he's earned some spacebucks. I'm planning on trying to work up at least one mech in each weight class so their four free mechbays can have a nice spread. I have this for the GRF-2N so far. Probably going to suggest my Crab build for a laser vomit mech that costs about the same.

TjyvTompa posted:

Maybe also put together a list of beginner friendly mechs, like truly beginner friendly and explain what makes it easy to use. For example the 4xLBX10 KDK-3, just point and click. No mechs that require map knowledge or intimate knowledge about other builds, just simple builds that are easy and fun to use. TDR-9SE 3xLPL, that kind of stuff.

I'm trying to put the quad LB10-X Kodiak together since he's only used the trial version so far (three matches total). If they like it enough to want one later, having an effective and simple build would be great. This seem okay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Running cooler is probably better for a new player but I'm not sure about 4 armor on the back and/or unarmored arms. At least until I can explain torso twisting and how to deal with light mechs.

Stringbean posted:

No man, I'm just uh...holding this MWO for a friend!

Psst, want to try some mechbays? The first four are free.

• Locked thread