Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Sterling_Archer posted:

What mechs in this new sale are worth? Which orion IIc chassis is the best? Hunchback IIc best? Highlander IIc best?

Pick your favorite, both are really good but the IIC-A is the best. I recommend picking up both.
Both builds are made with full survival skills in mind. For the IIC-A I recommend removing 1 ton of each ammo to get some more armor if you don't have all skills.

1xLBX20, 4xSRM6-A ON1-IIC-A
2xUAC/10, 3xSRM6-A ON1-IIC-C

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

TjyvTompa posted:

Pick your favorite, both are really good but the IIC-A is the best. I recommend picking up both.
Both builds are made with full survival skills in mind. For the IIC-A I recommend removing 1 ton of each ammo to get some more armor if you don't have all skills.

1xLBX20, 4xSRM6-A ON1-IIC-A
2xUAC/10, 3xSRM6-A ON1-IIC-C

I think you can probably go with three tons of the LBX and four tons for the SRMs to get nearly full armor. this thing gets shot at a lot and in my experience it's tough to burn through all that ammo before you lose the weapons

it's a very scary brawler regardless. This is essentially the Spirit Bear build with less armor, 81 KPH top speed, and no MASC. You can credibly duel most other robots if you get close enough and it's a good push leader

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

PSA: The Holiday event is up. You have until December 28th at 4:00 am pst to complete a game with 50+ match score.

If you do, then you get 3mil C-bills, 1250 MC, and two free mechs (mechs delivered in March 2018)

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
lovely deal for boxing day. Oh well. Time to hold MC until next 50% sale.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I bought the K9 Urbie with my event MC because I wanted a fast little man, how do I build him? Trying to look it up I saw some people saying like 5 med laser, but that sounds boring, is there any good ones about that let me keep my UAC/5?

Also I vouch for the 1xLBX20, 4xSRM6-A on the Orion-IIC-A, that's how I've got mine decked out and he's fun as hell.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Dec 27, 2017

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo

Yardbomb posted:

I bought the K9 Urbie with my event MC because I wanted a fast little man, how do I build him? Trying to look it up I saw some people saying like 5 med laser, but that sounds boring, is there any good ones about that let me keep my UAC/5?

Also I vouch for the 1xLBX20, 4xSRM6-A on the Orion-IIC-A, that's how I've got mine decked out and he's fun as hell.

K9 is best played with 5x med pulse lasers and max survival tree for the best micro-assault experience

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Sparq posted:

Just had a QP game with Cluncho and against Beefy and pubbies. Good dropcalling from Cluncho shame you were killed early.

Nice, didn't realize we had more folks in that game. Shame it didn't work out, but a certain TRAITOR on the other side had them ready to receive our push. Also

TjyvTompa posted:

Lamao, guess who called getting Cluncho focused down so fast :smuggo:

Rude.

----

In other news, I am planning Clunker Kings January edition, the 1v1 mechwarrior king of the hill tournament and want to get some input on which days work out best for people who want to participate, so I made a strawpoll:

http://www.strawpoll.me/14706083

For those just tuning in or needing a reminder here are the rules we played under last time:

Cluncho McChunk posted:

A reminder that Clunker Kings is running TONIGHT 2200 GMT/2300 CET/1700 EST to 0200GMT/0300 CET/2100 EST!

Clunker Kings is a 1v1 king of the hill format tournament with a very casual style. Each match will be played in the 1v1 Steiner Arena and broadcast to Twitch at https://www.twitch.tv/cluncho by myself as a spectator due to only two spectator slots per match. It will show the current Clunker King and the upcoming challengers, but will look like garbage as this is my first time really streaming.

Da Rulez

1. The match winner becomes the Clunker King and stays on for as long as they keep winning! The King can retire at any time if they desire and they will be added back to the challenger pool, at which point the next two challengers will face each other to become the next King!
2. The winner cannot use the same mech within the next three matches. This rule only applies during winstreaks, once you lose you can use any mech you want in your next challenge against the King! This rule is intended to keep things fun and interesting and may be modified as necessary to keep things interesting. Exceptions can apply for real newbies with few mechs.
3. Each win gets a point, the person with the most points at the end of the tourney is crowned the final Clunker King, conferring immense bragging rights! At least until next time...
4. There are NO limitations on mechs whatsoever aside from Rule 2! If you're confident in your Urbie feel free to bring it, but be aware that your opponent may be trying real hard in their dakka dire wolf with their back to a corner...

And the standings at the end of the tournament:

If you think any changes need to be made to the rules then please make suggestions but I think it worked out pretty well overall. The only thing I'm thinking of at the moment is that maybe we need a mechanic to bring winstreaks to an end faster, whether that's imposing a limit on wins before a forced return to the queue or modifying the queue to bring in a ringer to take on the winstreaker out of turn. Let me know your thoughts!

Cluncho McChunk fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 27, 2017

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

PSA: The Holiday event is up. You have until December 28th at 4:00 am pst to complete a game with 50+ match score.

If you do, then you get 3mil C-bills, 1250 MC, and two free mechs (mechs delivered in March 2018)

Downloaded and played for the first time since ghost heat and third person were added. I also wanted to see how the game looked on a computer that could run it on something other than lower settings. It's changed quite a lot since then. I have no idea what this skill tree is or what good builds are.

Have an old picture of a Flamer Commando chasing a Jenner.

edit: Not sure if I'm going to get back into this game but I'll give the OP a read after work.

Polka_Rapper fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 27, 2017

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Polka_Rapper posted:

Downloaded and played for the first time since ghost heat and third person were added. I also wanted to see how the game looked on a computer that could run it on something other than lower settings. It's changed quite a lot since then. I have no idea what this skill tree is or what good builds are.

Same, I just dropped in a stock BLR-1GP and still got a kill and 5 assists thanks to everyone just looking at my mech and ignoring it for more threatening targets. Finding all the webpages to redeem the poo poo was a massive pain though, but then so was figuring out the games new UI.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Amechwarrior posted:

Same, I just dropped in a stock BLR-1GP and still got a kill and 5 assists thanks to everyone just looking at my mech and ignoring it for more threatening targets. Finding all the webpages to redeem the poo poo was a massive pain though, but then so was figuring out the games new UI.

I pulled the SRMs out of my SRM Catapult (it seemed to need more tweaking that I wanted to figure out and I think I sold the old engine) and stuck in 2x LRM20 + a crappy engine and as much ammo as I could hold. Got three kills and only ever saw one enemy mech. It shot me with a medium laser and then was instantly cored by my team. I didn't even know what map I was on.

I also apparently sold my Centurion Dickpuncher (still putting up a fight in that screenshot) which makes me sad. At least I got two more mechbays with my free premium currency so I can buy more mechs if I start playing again. In-game name is Polka Rapper and I'd like to join the noble bird warriors of WoL if possible.

Have an album of old school camos I saved a while ago. https://imgur.com/a/GUNyw

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
What's the discord now? Is it still that bad link in the OP? Cause I don't know if I want to join the Hitlerbabies.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Polka_Rapper posted:

I pulled the SRMs out of my SRM Catapult (it seemed to need more tweaking that I wanted to figure out and I think I sold the old engine) and stuck in 2x LRM20 + a crappy engine and as much ammo as I could hold. Got three kills and only ever saw one enemy mech. It shot me with a medium laser and then was instantly cored by my team. I didn't even know what map I was on.

I also apparently sold my Centurion Dickpuncher (still putting up a fight in that screenshot) which makes me sad. At least I got two more mechbays with my free premium currency so I can buy more mechs if I start playing again. In-game name is Polka Rapper and I'd like to join the noble bird warriors of WoL if possible.

Have an album of old school camos I saved a while ago. https://imgur.com/a/GUNyw

SRM6A Splatapult is still p. good! Something like this:

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=13&l=c6bf3c038495c5f5dea5ac9b8d9cc1b2f3bda919

or this

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=13&l=b1b9c0aad5c98fb4eb14e570cf1f1d81328081de

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Also MRM Catapults: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=13&l=24526f664000f079df8829915dca35413c0aa0e1 MRMs are not good but they are fun, and still better than LRMs. There are better variants to do that on than the A1 though, some of the other CPLTs get pretty high missile cooldown quirks.

7c Nickel posted:

What's the discord now? Is it still that bad link in the OP? Cause I don't know if I want to join the Hitlerbabies.

Just mute all the text chat and shoot robots with goons. It's mostly the same people I played with on mumble, and playing with goons is still better than playing alone. Still WoL in-game.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

aniviron posted:

Also MRM Catapults: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=13&l=24526f664000f079df8829915dca35413c0aa0e1 MRMs are not good but they are fun, and still better than LRMs. There are better variants to do that on than the A1 though, some of the other CPLTs get pretty high missile cooldown quirks.

Sweet, I'll check and see which engine I have. I'm at about 14 million spacebucks but I'm willing to throw some at making this work again. LRM/MRM boating is fun though.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

aniviron posted:

Just mute all the text chat and shoot robots with goons. It's mostly the same people I played with on mumble, and playing with goons is still better than playing alone. Still WoL in-game.

Well, I still need a valid link. The one in the OP is expired.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I can't generate discord invite links, but someone should probably fix that, yes.

As far as the Catapult goes you can be a bit flexible about the engine, I just quickly modified whatever Pattonesque had in his links because it was fast and I'm lazy. You could go for a smaller but heavier light engine, or less ammo for a bigger engine or whatever works. That said, a lot of mechs get use out of a 300XL engine so it's not a bad one to own.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

If you're going to do dual MRM40 use the Catapult C4. It has 20% missile cooldown and 10% heat gen instead of 10/5 like the A1. Its also an amazing SRM carrier since it can fall back on being a zombie with two heavily boosted MPLs once the ears or torsos fall off.

e: something like this http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=24&l=02771e655004bb277752dd537750feaabc2e50e6

Drop the MPLs for MRM40s if you want

Great Beer fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 28, 2017

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
In case this hasn't been mentioned before there's a 7 day premium time code: mechwarrioronline_gift_2017

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
yeah, adjust to your personal taste. I am very much about SPEED so I will sacrifice survivability or some firepower to go fast

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

aniviron posted:

As far as the Catapult goes you can be a bit flexible about the engine, I just quickly modified whatever Pattonesque had in his links because it was fast and I'm lazy. You could go for a smaller but heavier light engine, or less ammo for a bigger engine or whatever works. That said, a lot of mechs get use out of a 300XL engine so it's not a bad one to own.

Yeah, I've got an XL 300 in my K2 (formerly a gauss sniper, now a PPC sniper). The A1 currently has an STD 175 that I had lying around for some unknown reason. I might have been working on masteries or whatever it was that required you to play multiple variants of mechs way back when. I also seem to have 4x STD 260 engines, so I can sell three of those and pretty much cover the 4.9 million cost of a second XL 300, assuming I want to do that (edit: my math was off but I'm gonna buy it anyway).

Great Beer posted:

If you're going to do dual MRM40 use the Catapult C4. It has 20% missile cooldown and 10% heat gen instead of 10/5 like the A1. Its also an amazing SRM carrier since it can fall back on being a zombie with two heavily boosted MPLs once the ears or torsos fall off.

Sounds pretty good but I really don't want to buy a THIRD Catapult.

Polka_Rapper fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 28, 2017

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Polka_Rapper posted:

Yeah, I've got an XL 300 in my K2 (formerly a gauss sniper, now a PPC sniper). The A1 currently has an STD 175 that I had lying around for some unknown reason. I might have been working on masteries or whatever it was that required you to play multiple variants of mechs way back when. I also seem to have 4x STD 260 engines, so I can sell three of those and pretty much cover the 4.9 million cost of a second XL 300, assuming I want to do that (edit: my math was off but I'm gonna buy it anyway).

Sounds pretty good but I really don't want to buy a THIRD Catapult.

No need to buy another XL 300 -- just switch it between mechs when you're not using them.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Skippy McPants posted:

Also you get 25 "stocking stuffers" which you can redeem for randomly selected items like cbills, MC, weapons, etc.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

And if you get 200 you can get a mech + bay. Options are last years loyalty mechs if you didn't already have them.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

How's this for a K9 setup, did I do good?

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Dec 28, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

If you'll forgive my bluntness, you did not do very good. While there's a time and place to shave armor off some components, this isn't it, and it is never a good idea to cut side and center torso armor. The AC/2 is also a bad solution to heat issues. A better one is to drop the ERs down to regulars and add more heatsinks. Speaking of heatsinks, you've got two stuck in the left arm for some reason.

Anyhoo, the baseline K-9 builds are the XL/MPL boat, and the ML Brawler. I'd stick to those if you want something optimal. Either one can trim two Jumps Jets for an AMS with half a ton of ammo if you want to keep the missile defense. If you're deadset on keeping the AC/2, something like this Build is playable, but you won't get the same level of performance as the straight laser loudouts.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

All good, I was hoping to get picked apart on it anyhow, but will definitely take a look at those. Will probably give that MPL setup a try and keep the AC/2 around for the novelty of running that other one sometimes as well.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Dec 28, 2017

Riller
Jun 16, 2008
I've had a lot of fun with the 5xML build in my K-9, and the full 360 torso rotation makes for some hilarious battles with lights.

I also used some of my founder funbux from years ago to buy the Deathstrike hero mech since I read good things (including pay2win :cry:) and it was 40% off. It's a lot of fun right out of the box, but I've been thinking of changing it up a bit. It hurts my brain to have 2xML and 4xMPL on the same mech.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

This is the Deathstrike build, so far as I'm concerned. UACs are a trap on the mech because the lasers already make full use of the heat cap, and it's one of the few assaults with both the tonnage and mounts needed to run dual gauss effectively. Other highlights include the big engine, essential for keeping up with the idiot Nascar in QM, and the token JJ, which is lowkey one of the best things about the mech thanks to the bonus agility it provides.

I'd also recommend this skill build.

Riller
Jun 16, 2008

Skippy McPants posted:

This is the Deathstrike build, so far as I'm concerned. UACs are a trap on the mech because the lasers already make full use of the heat cap, and it's one of the few assaults with both the tonnage and mounts needed to run dual gauss effectively. Other highlights include the big engine, essential for keeping up with the idiot Nascar in QM, and the token JJ, which is lowkey one of the best things about the mech thanks to the bonus agility it provides.

I'd also recommend this skill build.

Thanks for this! I will definitely try this out in the next few days. It looks like a lot of fun, I'll just need to get some practice with the gauss. Do you mind explaining the "heat cap" in further detail? So much has changed since I was really into it, so while I know how to use cover and shoot robbits, I'm not really up to speed on all the game mechanics yet.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

That's just shorthand for how much heat a mech can handle before overheating. The six ER Mediums are already enough to redline you after four or five shots on most maps, so UACs make a poor compliment because they roast you even faster. Gauss Vomit (slang for builds that pair Gauss with Lasers) is more effective because it pairs a high tonnage, low heat weapon with a low tonnage, high heat weapon.

The Deathstrike is uniquely situated to exploit this as it's the only mech currently in the game able to run the max number of ERMLs (6) and Gauss Rifles (2) while retaining respectable mobility, decent hitboxes, and good mounts.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 28, 2017

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Someone let me know that the discord link in the OP expired, so here's a new one:

https://discord.gg/f3vJMQC

Due to a weirdness with discord when you set the links to "never expire" that ends up technically not being the case. Anyway this should be good for quite a while at least.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Speaking of the OP, those short mech descriptions I wrote up seem all wildly out of date. Riyott, you around at all still? I can send you some updates prolly.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
also, does this work for a dual-HG build if I don't want to buy the hero Cyclops?

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=328&l=1c37086ffdb6a43757c5ff770bd1fa05986bf656

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah that's pretty much what you're going to do if you don't want to buy the expensive cyclops.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Fil5000 posted:

if there's no actual narrative then I'm just not that interested.

My thoughts exactly.

Remember back in the beginning they had comstar news broadcasts? Near the original release we started getting news reports of losing contact with stuff in the periphery.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

aniviron posted:

Yeah that's pretty much what you're going to do if you don't want to buy the expensive cyclops.

Nice, thanks

spacetoaster posted:

My thoughts exactly.

Remember back in the beginning they had comstar news broadcasts? Near the original release we started getting news reports of losing contact with stuff in the periphery.

Yeah if they do story missions plus randomly generated ones that's fine, but if it's just randomly generated the whole thing will feel hollow very quickly

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Pattonesque posted:

also, does this work for a dual-HG build if I don't want to buy the hero Cyclops?

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=328&l=1c37086ffdb6a43757c5ff770bd1fa05986bf656

That looks like too much ammo. Remember that with H-Gauss you won't be sniping. Most of your shots will go out at sub 500m, so you won't be popping off quite as many salvos in most games. You also get a lot out of the magazine nodes at +1 shot per node, per ton. Six tons of ammo yields 42 shots in total, which I'd wager on being enough for most any game. Also, as I mentioned with the Deathstrike, you might as well chew up that spare heat cap with some Lasers.

I'm not an expert, but my first pass on a Heavy Gauss Mauler would probably be something like this build. Drop the Heatsink for some extra ammo if you find yourself needing it, I suppose.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 28, 2017

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Skippy McPants posted:

That looks like too much ammo. Remember that with H-Gauss you won't be sniping. Most of your shots will go out at sub 500m, so you won't be popping off quite as many salvos in most games. You also get a lot out of the magazine nodes at +1 shot per node, per ton. Six tons of ammo yields 42 shots in total, which I'd wager on being enough for most any game. Also, as I mentioned with the Deathstrike, you might as well chew up that spare heat cap with some Lasers.

I'm not an expert, but my first pass on a Heavy Gauss Mauler would probably be something like this build. Drop the Heatsink for some extra ammo if you find yourself needing it, I suppose.

Yeah I'm not sure whether I want the extra damage or if I want to go full Fafnir and overheat fuckers who try to get too close. I'll try both, thanks!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

45 is not that much ammo for a double HG build. That's all your damage output, and 45 shots isn't much above 1000 damage even if you're only taking shots at 250 or less, and it's only 23 shots of your weapons. It just looks like a lot because you only get 5 ammo per ton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It's ~21 volleys, which I don't see chewing through in most games unless you spent a lot of time plinking from outside the effective range. I run 54 on my Clan Dual Gauss builds and I can count on one hand the number of times I've run dry.

• Locked thread