Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

It's not like his previous, non-free-to-play games were reviewed well either. He's just finding people to blame for his own failures in game development, as he has done since BC 3000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

How is the Marauder anyway? Does the model being really compact make up for the "PPC or bust" perks?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

For the curious:
PPCs do 10 damage, generate 10 heat, and have a 4s cooldown.
So 2.5 DPS, 2.5 HPS.
LPLs do 11 damage, generate 7 heat, and have a .67s duration/3.25 s cooldown
2.81 DPS, 1.79 HPS.

LPLs can spread damage around a bit when people are twisting, but PPCs are an actual projectile that you have to hit with. Even with 50% velocity this isn't trivial. PPCs have 180m extra range, but again the projectile vs hitscan issue alongside their 90m minimum range makes them a lot less practical.
All-in-all, if you care about maximum winning, there's barely any mechs where i'd take PPCs over LPLs, LLs or anything else really. Their damage/heat efficiency is just cripplingly bad.
Gauss is a similar boat at the moment- their DPS is less than an AC/5, and the chargeup time makes their alpha a lot less useful.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm running 3 AC5s on mine and a shitfuckton of ammo. Have one weapon group set to fire them all at once, the other set to chain fire them. It's a pretty OK build.
Yea 3AC5s, 2 MLs and a bunch of ammo is a solid build.
My 5M build is similar- dual UAC5s and dual LLs on one side- leaving you a shield side

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I really hate XLs on marauders. The #1 reason to play the mech over its competitors is the ease of shielding the CT. There are mechs that do the fast XL-using heavy a lot better.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

Standard engine MADs are where its at. They're basically the opposite of what they are in TT BT.

Well the MAD-3R in tabletop is basically designed to be as deadly as possible for the driver- an AC/5 ammo in a under-armored side torso with nothing else to soak crits. Also running dual PPCs with only 16 single heat sinks.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

4 ASRM4s actually have better DPS than 3 ASRM6s- 11.48 vs 9.69. So if you have the hardpoints its generally better to get the increased DPS and narrower spread at the cost of alpha damage and increased heat.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

AtillatheBum posted:

The 6s have better sustained (which in a brawler is what I care about) since 4s are a lot more heat for the same weight/1 more slot.
You have it backwards- 4ASRM4s is actually 1 fewer crit. Obviously if you don't have 4 missile hardpoints it's not even a consideration.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Yea, you can just swap down to a standard 255 and cut some heatsinks like so:
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=28&l=4017a38f416d3bd24b27355d5c439149ac3e0e20
A lot more survivable.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Now I understand why it's called the arctic cheater.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

The correct medium dakkamech is the BJ-1 with dual ac/2s and 4 mls. It's actually very effective.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=347&l=b5830915e18516edda18ca645eb4524ea42a200a
This is my go-to 5M build- good midrange firepower and you have a dead torso to shield with.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

BJ-1 gives you the ability to take AC-2s and not feel like a moron. 4 MLs +2 AC/2s with the perks is a ton of fun.

BJ-1DC is 6-MLs+AC/5, and also has great quirks. Its only downside is no jump jets.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Welcome to Maximum Laser
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=79&l=aef58e3eb8b56f6a2d1476d103a030309d3a6902

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

The Summoner desperately needs structure quirks to make up for lovely hitboxes. Maybe the MASC change will help out the shadow cat and the executioner, but it'd have to be pretty big.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Bait and Swatch posted:

The clan mechs had different names in the older games, tabletop and books. From what I remember: Mad dog was vulture, Warhawk was masakari, timberwolf was mad cat, dire wolf was daishi, stormcrow was ryoken, kit fox was uller and shadowcat may have been blackhawk.

The early clan invasion mechs all had IS "reporting names" as well as clan names.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Blackjacks have double structure- so they actually have slightly more HP than an unquirked 55 tonner. They're also exceptionally tiny. The other thing these mechs all have are very narrow CT hitboxes and wide side torsos, so it can be hard to core them out. Blackjacks and Jaegers will almost always be running XLs though, so you can try to just core out one of their side torsos instead.

Stalkers are just very tough for their tonnage, since they have outrageously narrow CTs that are hard to hit if they twist at all.

Sarmhan fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 17, 2016

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

The stock setup is pretty much "the build". You could swap out the MLs for SPLs if you want to try a knifefighting variant.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Play a stock nova prime and you too can be so grossly incandescent.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I like Warhammers. Even on poo poo-tier maps.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Coolwhoami posted:

poo poo fit, poo poo map.
I have seen a disgusting amount of LRM warhammers. It's really, really sad.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I use an AC/5 and 6 MLs on the -DC. It's probably the weakest blackjack variant but it still does good work. The BJ-1 is my go-to for AC/2 based comedy

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Hellbringers are good, if not great. ECM is still very good and they're one of the only heavies that can carry it. They lose out on weapon tonnage compared to the Ebon Jaguar and Timber wolf though.

Sarmhan fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 26, 2016

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Der Waffle Mous posted:

There's something weirdly amusing about about the fact that MWO of all things has created a context wherein the Blackjack, Jagermech, and Hellbringer are actually good, useful choices instead of horrible disappointments.
Also a context where the Awesome is one of the worst assaults, while the Banshee is one of the better ones.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Banshee 3S is the most dangerous Assault `Mech in 3025-era / introductory play.
True, but the 1E and 3M are two of the worst for a 95 tonner.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Reztes posted:

This match was going so well. I got all the pubbies to Follow Dad across the river and we were up 4-0 when Dad Died and then it all went to poo poo.

:pgi: bracket builds! :pgi:
Is that a stock MAD 3-R?
That is a brave pubbie.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Pattonesque posted:

a veteran player's experience on a new account

:pusheen:

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

The Kodiak has great hardpoint options, this is the bare minimum based on the stock loadouts. They should be nice and high too based on the model.
1- 1 CT energy, 4 energy in each arm, 1 ballistic RT, 2 missile LT
2- 1 CT energy, 2 energy in each arm 1 ballistic RT, 1 missile LT,
3- 1 CT energy, 1 ballistic RT and LT, 2 energy in each arm.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

No, clan dad is a battlemech, and can mount a 400 XL allowing it to get up to 64.8 km/h without speed tweak. Also, the Kodiak 2 gets jump jets, I forgot to mention that.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

For the curious: A clan dad with FF, endo, 3-points-off-max armor and a 400 XL gets 44 tons of weaponry. You can get 11.5 more tons by going down to an XL 350.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

You missed metal coyote and rubber godzilla suit

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Washout posted:

The basic pack is super expensive and the mech will probably be garbage, especially if they give it a wide arm stance and make it stand like a king crab. It looks cool at least. I'm glad I was able to buy a pack including the hero for $20 when I bought the cheetah pack because it looks like that will never happen again, the heroes are always going to be an extra $15 and that is literally the only reason to buy one of these packs in the first place.
The actual reason is that they come with a month of premium time on top of the mechs for $20.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Washout posted:

My cheetah pack also came with 30 days premium time, 3 variants including a 30% cbill boost invasion variant, only one warhorn tho.
Not according to PGI's storefront- it comes with no premium. It's also $30.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Washout posted:

I'm pretty sure I got the preorder bonuses and it was $20. Looks to me like it's just blatant price gauging for the newest mech packs.
Uh. I think you're completely mistaken.
The invasion packs have always started at $30 and only come with premium time on the higher tiers. The preorder bonuses were extra variants.
The new mech packs are actually as good if not better deals. Everything in this game is too expensive, but they haven't raised prices.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

LPLs are god's gift to mechkind. The BJ-3 with triple LPLs is probably the best tonnage-power ratio in the game.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

A time skip is pretty unavoidable. They're really going to run out of mech designs soon, and some new tech/weapons to shake things up would be nice
Also, IS omnimechs.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

If the idea of an ECM spider with a hatchet doesn't sound like the best thing ever, something has to be wrong with you.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Pattonesque posted:

also, rifleman:

If this was a real rifleman he'd have to shutdown after that.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Those quirks seem really poor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Modpud Helios User Kerensky

• Locked thread