Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Skoll posted:

There was much squawking like ye olden days.

Enjoy your BANS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Pillars of Eternity and Divinity have been pretty good crowdfunded games.

Basically, as long as you're not Double Fine or PGI or some no-name, there are some decent crowdfunding successes out there now.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Nickiepoo posted:

Whatever it does well! I am new to clan mechs.

I built one as a poor mans Madcat with 2 LPLs and 4MLs which worked okay then tried triple UAC5s which was also okay but less so. Just wondering if there's anything this chassis does particularly well.

You can get high missile mounts on EBJ so I think you can do 4 SRM6+A builds with it.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Nickiepoo posted:

I've done this plus an LBX-10 because maybe clan LBX-10s aren't terrible? Please tell me that I'm terrible if this is the case.

I think a lot of people dislike them because of the spread, but I love them at close range. Like a giant mech shotgun. They are also cool because of the crit bonus which is actually a good thing to have in the current age of structure quirks.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Number19 posted:

Party setup is a go:

Is there going to be a live stream?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

MWO peaked at about 1500 Steam players.

http://steamcharts.com/app/342200

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Do we know anything about how bad the Warhammer is going to be? It's one of my favourite Macross designs, so I'm wondering if I should save my C-Bills or just get to 1.1mil and buy a Stormcrow.

Stormcrow will be superior in every way.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Number19 posted:

It's going to be broadcast on our Twitch channel.

What happened to the stream? Things not go as planned?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Number19 posted:

The party is tonight

Oh, I thought it was last night because I thought it was a launch party.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Rhymenoserous posted:

The meta is actually in a pretty good place right now.

Hahahahahaha NOPE

Bringing back brawling (and only one aspect of brawling, i.e. SRMs) is a LONG way from "a pretty good place".

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Pattonesque posted:

https://mwomercs.com/archer

one of them has nine missile hardpoints

It all makes sense.

Hope you enjoyed the SRMageddon, ladies. Prepare your buttholes for the impending SRM nerfs once the Archer hits c-bills.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Coolwhoami posted:

I'm kind of curious, since a pubbie made a half decent point. It seems like the structure bonus addition, other than simply being another way to manipulate mech stats to make them work in context of others, seems to be most explicitly intended to counteract the survivability aspect that is offered by clan xls. As I understand it, in tabletop a mech is out if it loses 3 engine slots (and has extra heat added for each one lost), and since obviously a destroyed component loses all its bits, the 3 slots in the side torsos of IS mechs thus make them prone to exploding and dying, while since only two are there for clans, they could keep going provided a slot hasn't been destroyed elsewhere. It would seem that PGI is attempting to balance IS vs Clan mechs as being more a difference in choices, because in tabletop BV is another balancing factor (and something I have argued in past could very well be used in replacement of tonnage to balance quick play composition/drop decks). Is adding engine slot damage/crits not another reasonable way to mitigate the extreme effectiveness of clan vs IS XLs? I get the sense that balance decisions are now oriented around manipulating current values but are held back by strange adherence to tabletop values. Barring some fundamental change and actual vision for long term balance decisions though, I can't see anything of this sort added purely because of arguments against added complexity (despite quirks being fundamentally an incredibly complex balancing mechanism).

tl;dr I don't get the basis for balance decisions in this game and I wish that whoever is in charge of it had a more concrete idea of where they want it to go.

BV won't work in MWO (and some could argue never worked in TT, either) because there are too many factors that don't translate directly to a mathematical reduction. In MWO, you have things like hardpoint placement, hitbox size, boatibility, etc.

But your tl;dr is better summed up as "Welp, that's Paul"

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Coolwhoami posted:

Sure, but those can be managed by changing the BV of the mechs themselves in theory. That would obviously require some sort of large effort to make that happen, and would have been enormously easier when this game was initially released, but that cannot be changed at this point. It also doesn't fix issues related to matters of long range/short range specialization that this game rotates through like a loving blender, but at least it would be possible, in theory, to make all mechs potentially valuable/useful.

You'd have to balance every single possible loadout completely on a case-by-case basis, down to the level of arbitrating which weapon is placed in high shoulder mounts or not and whether weapons are hidden behind a giant shield arm, etc. So, what you're saying is actually impossible.

Coolwhoami posted:

I know, I know, but I like to think that it is possible for Paul to wake up one day

Also impossible

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Lemon Curdistan posted:

:justpost: Make the post. :justpost:

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

I kind of remember someone in here predicting more cheatz when this went to Steam. If PGI cares about growing this game (having the desire and the ability are different things, obv) then they better have something cooking to root out Helios.

Maybe switch to Source engine :v:

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Washout posted:

If they start banning cheaters again and implement the 4v4 game mode the game might really start to turn around.

They can't ban cheaters right now, because the previous bannings were the result of tournament videos. With no active tournament videos, how are they going to ban anyone? They don't seem to have any way to detect hackers, so yeah

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Internet Explorer posted:

They used to have turrets. Not sure what happened there.

Surprise, the turrets were poorly balanced wildly swinging from OP to pointless, so they just removed them since Paul couldn't figure them out.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

I'd buy Kodiaks if they added punching and gave the Kodiak a quirk for extra punching damage because of its claws.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

In TT, if you stripped the LRM off an Atlas and replaced it with SRM like in MWO, there are several 3025 'mechs that would just sit at 10 or more hexes and happily destroy the slow as poo poo Atlas without the poor thing even being able to touch you. A typical non-bracket Atlas build would get wrecked on anything except an urban or heavy woods map.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Yolomon Wayne posted:

J. Edgar (light) Hover Tank?
Hetzer Tank?
Rommel Tank?
(Panzer)Schre(c)k Tank?

You made those up, right?

Well, someone did. Someone at FASA.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beraiye posted:

Gauss Raven best Raven

the small laser is a nice touch. genius.

Gotta have the extra up close punch.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

I like that :pgi: saw the CS:GO gambling controversy and said to themselves, "Hey, what a great idea" and bam Supply Cache was born

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

I miss some of the old maps.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

I think new River City is lovely, as well.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Willfrey posted:

man. Who here likes walking 5 minutes before seeing enemy mechs?

Actually I would kind of prefer gameplay that required actual scouting to locate the other team and get set up for engagements and whatnot, but nothing about this game is really set up to encourage that kind of play. The objectives are almost always badly placed, the new maps don't have discernible landmarks or terrain and the in-game overhead map is hilariously useless at helping you actually navigate anywhere.

What I actually want is a good Arma game with giant robots.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Flamers just apply heat now, or something?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

PoptartsNinja posted:

And then they all died when the other team realized what they were doing and just walked forward and shot them..

lmao pubbie teams are not capable of realizing this

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

DancingShade posted:

The atlas is one of those few specific chassis. It's not a long list though.

Let's be honest. Once kodiaks go for c-bills nobody is going to buy atlases anymore and that situation will only get worse once Night Gyrs and Huntsmen enter general circulation.

Atlas was straight up bad for a while there, though, when SRMs were bad and Clan 'mechs hadn't been nerfed yet.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Are Night Gyrs good?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

What are you guys using on your gargoyles? My group ended up on on the same side as WoL a couple times and was wondering what builds you were using.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

TjyvTompa posted:

whats this "let john have the last kill" huh? getting boosted....so thats why I dont have this yet :troll:

In other news the faction play event is not looking so good so far, lots of people ghost dropping but don't worry, Russ is on the case:

https://twitter.com/russ_bullock/status/923711353507913729

Mechwarrior Online: Not sure we can do anything about this

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

BattleTech posted:

The game just looks like pre alpha gameplay is all.

Oh, so exactly like MWO, then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

:pgi: is the gold standard for "terrible"

• Locked thread