Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014
Wow, guess I'd be pretty pissed too if I had spent as much money on a promise as some of you obviously have... Perhaps some introspection on your own spending habits would prevent you from experiencing so much grief in the future. Games are gonna keep being bad as long as people keep giving money to developers to finance games that publishers refused to invest in. Hint: There's probably a reason they couldn't get money from normal sources. Kickstarting/Crowdfunding is bad, mkay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

Captn Kurp posted:

Someone in here mentioned Griffin + SRMs so I bought one and put 4 x SRM 6s on it and it brawls with the best of them.

I don't know what I'm doing.

EDIT: does Artemis make a big difference on SRMs? It said it increases accuracy but since they're dumb fire does it actually do anything?

Artemis packs your missiles tighter. It gives you a more shotgunny feel, up close.

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

A Curvy Goonette posted:

mmm...ha ha ha. good luck with that.

every thread i made on the steam forums warning people about helios was deleted. hmmmmm

Steam chat even censors any mention of it. If you try to send a link, it just delivers an undeliverable link message.

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

Bait and Swatch posted:

At what point does ping become a noticeable factor in this game? I live in middle-of-nowhere Arizona and get terrible ping (sometimes as high as 200) and have not noticed any problems whatsoever.

200 is about where I start noticing it.

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

Pattonesque posted:

I believe you just have to have premium time to host a private lobby, yes? So it's not like donating anything?

getting mad about robots is exhausting y'all, I don't recommend it

anyone can host a 12v12 in the private lobby, but only having a premium account holder as the company commander for each team allows you to play with the rules. Like dropping the "Full Teams" requirement.

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

a thing of pure beauty

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

Anita Dickinme posted:

Hey GIRLs. Would any of you absolutely hate switching between Liao and Clan Bird periodically? I will take all answers into advisement but it will most likely not affect my decision in the end.

It's gonna cost 50.6 million cbills to break our contract right now. I think we should. A weekly tour of the clans for GIRL and the same for IS houses in WoL would make sure any goon can CW on whichever side they want, while minimizing associated costs and getting their free stuff.

I'm gonna go ahead and throw in the first 5 million.

Only 45.45 million to go.

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014
stop making sense

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

Zaodai posted:

Why small pulses over mediums? Or is it just so you can swap the ER Meds it would carry by default to pulse smalls for the same tonnage? You'd also get some weight back stripping the jump jets out, I guess. I'm sure it'd be viable in some configuration.

CERMLs also have one of the worst damage to heat ratios in the game.

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014
Hey Girls, it's CW time tonight. I know, I can't believe I said it either.

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

A.o.D. posted:

Why? What's there to gain from CW right now?

there's a couple of people that wanna get a free mechbay out of JF real quick before the contract times out tomorrow night, that's all

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

Girl Power!

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014
Girl is now Clan Smoke Jaguar. If you haven't gotten your free stuff yet, now is the time to Join girl.

We will be rotating weekly through the clans for a while, then will continue with 30 day Jade Falcon contracts. The JF guys are pretty chill and good to play with when there are no goons around doing CW.

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

Vorenus posted:

Somebody didn't support their assault lance. :(

We did what we were supposed to do. Took down the first assault we saw and soaked up a bunch of damage when the rest of the team joined him.

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

TeeMerk posted:

Goons at full mast need to invade the innersphere and make a charge to butte hold is all im sayin

maybe a CW event is in the works next.

Another reason to be a Girl.

Actually, if you want to coordinate some overlapping weeks in the same clans we can make this happen. I'm tired of looking at that map and seeing 228 and MS all over the place.

Beraiye fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 16, 2016

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

Love Stole the Day posted:

I was playing Barbie Dress-Up with my robots and I realized while perusing around the colors that there are a few that you can actually purchase with C-Bills rather than MC:

Nothing special, but I thought I'd post this because I think we all were under the impression that every color is MC-only.

I hadn't thought about that in ages. I bought them all up so long ago I'd forgotten they were there.

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

armchairyoda posted:

Give it back to BMR before Anita gets jealous of your new bromance.

Unless it's on sale, there are no good buys save one... Jade Falcon warhorn. And that is never on sale and stupid overpriced too.

huh wut?

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

Safety Factor posted:

It's a bit more complicated than that because of goon OPSEC or some dumbass poo poo like that.

I don't think anyone actually cares anymore. The mumble info is in the message of the day for both units. Just decide if you want to be Clan or IS and ask for an invite.

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Basic - Elite - Master

You need to have 8/8 Basic skills on 3 mechs of the same chassis to be able to go for Elite skill son that chassis.
You need 4/4 Elite skills on 3 mechs of that weight class to unlock Master skills for this weight class.
Also 4/4 Elite skills double bonus from Basic skills.

Since you need 3 of the same chassis to go elite anyways, its not a great help that 3 of the same tonnage unlock master, so its still best to 4/4 Elite 3 of the same chassis, then sell 2.

To clarify. Only the 1st Chassis in each weight class has to have the Elites unlocked on 3 variants to unlock the Master slot. Any subsequents chassis in that weight class only require you to get Basics on 3 in order to unlock the Elites. Then you can unlock the Elite and Master skills on an individual variant without worrying about the Elites on the other 2. No matter how you look at it though, you still have to start with 3 variants. The grind just gets easier when it's not your first mech in that class.

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

Luigi Thirty posted:

I haven't played since like right after beta. Is my Marmoset still good?

In the right hands, yes. You have to be dedicated to this mech. Make it a part of you.

Be one with the Marmoset.

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Ok, provided i had the cash for artemis racks and the engine, i might try something like this.
68 damage alpha at 22 heat with 3 double sinks and 2 empty arms for shielding the torsi.

that looks decent. as you get more experienced with the Atlas, you will probably need to think about shaving a little armor from those legs and getting another ton of AC/20 ammo in there.

edit: missed the ton in the head. 3 is perfect.

Beraiye fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jan 26, 2016

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

Yolomon Wayne posted:

All of this makes me wonder the exact opposite:
Why should i ever play clan mechs again, if IS basically has every advantage?
The only thing clan has is omnipods so you can better customize inferior mechs with inferior weapons?

Since i got into IS mechs, i cant bring myself to play clanners anymore since i terribly miss quirks.
The few and only quirks clans have make stuff slightly worse it seems.

I wouldn't go that far.

Clan weapons are lighter and many occupy fewer slots than their IS equivalent, so you can mount more.
They also have higher base damage and range to make up for the extra heat and burn time.

For instance:
MPL's = 6 dmg (short burn, rapid recharge)
Clan MPLs = 8 dmg (longer burn and cooldown)

Clan mechs are usually faster for their weight because they all come with preloaded XL's that require losing both sides to be destroyed.
So they're usually more mobile. Seriously, a stock TW does almost 90 after speed tweak, and you can't change the engine so the rest do to.

Clan ballistics, while lacking the pinpoint precision of IS guns, lay down a steady stream of lead that keeps cockpits shaking.
It's fun to take my Dakka Wolf and just unload on people that die without shooting back because they never even get to see me through the smoke.

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

Kurzon posted:

I read up on some lore and it seems that the Clans, though they managed to preserve the advanced tech of the Star League era, lack real war experience and relied too much on ritual combat and wargames to keep their skills sharp, and consequently their strategies and traditions are a little impractical.

No, don't fall down that hole. The lore is bad. Really bad. Just enjoy your giant stompy robits.

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014
I stand by my statement. It's bad and should only be used to elicit rage and tears from those who take it seriously.

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

TeeMerk posted:

ee: Someone needs to do a basic write up for CW

We need to go do some CW with people who know what they're doing. I'll be around all day, maybe we can go TS hopping.

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

Alchenar posted:

I'm playing the odd game with -MS- now, these guys seem pretty chill and also know what they are doing.

Yeah, I've got a lot of friends over there too. Old teammates from a previous guild. If they can stand it, the rest must be pretty okay.

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

That Gobbo posted:

Picked up the Marauder pack yesterday and have been trying out different builds. So far I'm really enjoying the -5D with 2 ASRM6s 1 LPL 4MPL, and the -5M with 2 UAC5 2LL. Not really sure what to do with the -3R, right now it's AC20 4ML 2MG and it's been going alright. I tried out the 3 AC5 build but sniping is super boring. Any good MAD brawler builds that I'm ignoring?

I like the 5m with 3xLPL in the left arm and 2xML in the right. It's pretty fun. Not a brawler by definition, but it's suited me well in almost every situation I've been in with it.

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014
So I saw the 3 urbanmechs on sale, looked at the 6.5 million cbills I had and said, "gently caress It." Now I own all 3. Time to build a bad robot... after grinding out DHS taxes.

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

ZenVulgarity posted:

They're not on sale yet though?

didn't matter. they were all 2 million or less. worked for me. sticker shock doesn't exist anymore after all the modules I've purchased.

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

ZenVulgarity posted:

They go on sale in like two minutes!

again, don't really care. I can make up the difference in like 1 or 2 matches.

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

Buff Butler posted:

That match was really funny, because the MS 'drop commander' realizes that he's the only person in the match with ERLLs and sends the rest of his team in to get clobbered under someone else's watch while he pads his damage numbers splashing arms, legs, and torsos to basically no effect. He then pulls the only guy in his entire drop with a brain aside and berates him for pointing out how goddamn stupid they are for getting blown out the exact same way four times in a row.

This is after he spends the entire match bitching at everyone on his team and blaming the 'prospects' with his voice boosted +20dB.

They're really chill, though. Seriously.

Was the commander named Sad Panda? Cause that sounds like Naz. I played other games with him and he did the same thing, and I know he's an MS drop commander now.

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

Commoners posted:

Guys I bought a banshee 3M which has been highly touted as a good mech and I now know why we lose horrifically every game that we face the EMP guys who are using banshee 3Ms. It is because the mech is super OP broken as gently caress. It took me four games to basic it out, but now I have to buy more banshees to get them elite.

It has fire points that are clustered right at cockpit level so you can expose almost none of your mech while shooting people, and it has 10% fire quirks on every single energy trait that you can get quirks on. It can also break 70kph very easily so maneuvering isn't an issue.

The 3S is the only one of the group that's not really just plain great. The 3E is my favorite mech in the game. Grit your teeth and get through the 3S and you'll have 2 other mechs that you'll enjoy thoroughly.

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

Onkel Hedwig posted:

Download Mumble and connect to mumble.goonrathi.com

connecting won't do anything unless you're auth'd or have the password. Seriously, it's said over and over again. Ask for invite in thread. VOIP info in MOTD for both units.

e: Also, the unit you join is completely up to you. Both units play on the same server in the same groups. It doesn't matter. GIRL tags can be fun, and WoL tags can bring out old animosities from Beta days. Either way can be fun.

Beraiye fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 25, 2016

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

Kazvall posted:

AFTER 4 GOD drat YEARS JUST PUT THE MUMBLE INFO IN THE OP WHO GIVES A GOOD GOD drat WE HAVENT HAD A J4G IN 3 YEARS

get the owner of the mumble to agree and it's not a problem. the OP is following his wishes.

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

Onkel Hedwig posted:

Ideally, you don't interact with the community at all.

half of the pleasure I get from the game is telling pubbies how bad they are :)

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

Stringbean posted:

Modules? Get a bunch of modules, yeah. That's the ticket. Or start playing unfavorable mechs. I have an Ice Ferret because of this.

This is what I did when I got to the point where there weren't any c-bill 'mechs that I still wanted. Not having to change modules between 'mechs and matches is always a good thing.

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

Stringbean posted:

Sure it does....

It's another 4000 experience towards elite :argh:

e: tried the trial DWF. How the gently caress do people enjoy Assaults. God drat. I hated every minute of it. In fact, I think the only assault I ever truly enjoyed was the KGC and it's considered mediocre overall. I'd rather play mediums and the occasional heavy.

unleveled assaults are probably the most painful thing to play. once you have double basics on them, it gets a lot better.

positioning is also HUGE, and takes experience

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014
Just so everyone knows, both WoL and GIRL are going to be without contracts for a little bit. GIRL is already there, and WoL expires tomorrow night. TMerk and I are going to sync our contract on Tuesday so that there are no more accidental weekend blackouts of CW. If you have the ability to set the contract in either unit, please don't. Thank you.

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014

Melchior posted:

And even if you're positioned right you die to a random Locust who got behind the firing line who shoots your rear end and kills you before anyone on your team cares/responds. It's not for everyone, but once you have a really good game with them (800-1000 damage or more, multiple kills) you get a taste of what makes them fun.

That's critical. That first 1000+ dmg/5+kill match is just incredible. The feeling you get. Raw Power on fake internet legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beraiye
Oct 27, 2014
I actually had fun with Ice Ferrets. There was a time when they were the fastest clan mech available.
I threw some small pulses and an ASRM-6 on them and had a blast.

• Locked thread