Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Paramemetic posted:

This, this is what I can't wait to see on Steam. Renaming "upinya" because . . . it's slang? Banning people for "bofa?" This will play real, real well on Steam, I'm sure, when players can review games without filtering by the company.

Developers can curate the reviews for their games, but they can't do anything about that big red thumb that reads "mostly negative".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Aesis posted:

Bad games get bad reviews for a reason. *cough* your games *cough*

e: And while speaking of review bombing, what, people/companies will get thousands of Steam accounts together to vote yes/no to positive/negative reviews? Sure they can do that, but they can't stop people who actually bought the game from writing positive/negative reviews. And given that Steam's 'User Review' rating is decided by % of positive reviews compared to total reviews, if you want to review bomb you'd actually have to buy the games with those thousands of Steam accounts, and who's going to do that?

I have yet to see a game I thought was good end up with a bad "user review" rating.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Ardlen posted:

You can ditch the command console to add another SRM-6.

Do this and then remove 3 points of armor from each leg to get another ton of SRM ammo on there.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

BattleMaster posted:

Ultras can be double-tapped, firing them a second time before the normal cooldown is done but with a chance to jam which takes some time to clear.

The dynamic armour/structure slots are from Endo Steel/Ferro Fibrous. They take up 7 (clan)/14 (IS) slots that will move out of the way when you place something, but only if there's room elsewhere in the mech for them to go.

To build on this, ferro fibrous is pretty much never worth it except in certain edge cases (usually with lights).

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

SoftNum posted:

I got a good laugh out of this...

"Zues"

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

The Direwolf pushes by vaporizing things in front of it rather than by being a highly durable wall of hatred and SRMs.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Added myself as well

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

The Repo Man posted:

The only difference between the endo BH on Metamechs and mine is that the endo version goes 2 kph faster, has one more heat sink, and loses a ton and a half of AC/20 ammo. I know ferro is a poo poo option on basically every mech, which is why I don't have it on the vast majority except a few lights, but I would rather have the ammo and very very slight armor increase over 2 kph. I just don't see endo as worth it for this one mech :shrug:

Your armor is exactly the same as it was before you upgraded, it just weighs less. There is literally no situation where FF is a superior option to endo.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

The Repo Man posted:

It would be nice if the description on ferro said "weighs 12% less" rather than "offers 12% more protection." The loving wording in this game :psyduck: the description isn't wrong, but holy hell that's a misleading way of phrasing ferro.

I should also know better than to argue with great beer since he's probably been playing since release, or at least far far longer to know all the deceptive wording.

The wording sucks, and I've been having to educate people on how it actually works since CBT, even though the wording is technically correct, mechs are limited on how many "points" or armor they can equip rather than a tonnage limit which is why FF doesn't increase your armor.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

The Repo Man posted:

With the way it's worded I figured the number of points didn't change, just that they could take more hits at the current value (so 10 points of armor taking a 12% reduction in damage vs 10 points of armor taking normal damage, similar to how armor works in, say, battlefield 2142). Whenever anyone said ferro was poo poo, I just thought it was because most people try to jam as much in their mech as possible, so even with "better protection" you were loosing 14 slots without loosing as much weight as endo. If I had Googled "Ferro Fibrous MWO" I probably would have known waaaaay sooner why goons hated ferro so much. It makes way more sense now.

Ferro has been poo poo since it's inception, even in TT the only reason to use ferro was because you either didn't have access to endo and desperately needed the extra tonnage, or the mech came with it.

EDIT: it also had the same loving description and caused no end of arguments as a result.

Astroniomix fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 27, 2015

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

So I've discovered the joy that is the 6 spl arctic cheetah, and then the servers died.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Less heat sinks, more ammo.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

LPLs maybe? Those things tear when you've got room to shoot and move.

We have a winrar.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

NEVER PUT AN XL ON A KING CRAB.

Never. There is no build where this will help you.

Wrong.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Skoll posted:

As someone who doesn't own a King Crab, but has killed a lot of them, I have to say that putting XLs on them are loving stupid. It's the difference between one that can take the pounding of an Atlas and one that feels like you're killing a medium mech with bigger guns.

Putting an XL in a King Crab is practically asking to get killed way before you should in a match and it's become common enough to where I always try to aim at the side torsos now.

Surviving the loss of a side torso means nothing if you're piloting half a mech that's still too slow to accomplish anything.

Dual AC/20 crabs use standards, but if you're running a standard on the quad UAC/5 crab you're a moron. (anything below a 350 engine is too slow to be useful and should be replaced with a different mech)

Saying no KC should ever use an XL is bad.

Also if you want to take the pounding of an atlas, use an atlas, the king crab is too wide to even attempt anything the atlas does.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

TeeMerk posted:

then run a different build that isn't a gimmick vs bad pubbies

The King Crab itself is a gimmick mech, the UAC/5 build is just the least bad gimmick.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

You are in insane territory here. Half a crab with UAC5s is still two UAC5s and not loving dead. If you can't handle under 350 you are loving awful and/or running solo-pub, which is not something you should be doing with a 100 ton assault. Run a different mech.

I will revise my previous statements and say that a STD 325 is the way to go, the speed loss hurts, but you can still at least track moving targets and the surivability will probably come in handy one day when I lose a side torso but still have ammo left. (but holy gently caress 9 tons doesn't last long at all)

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Axetrain posted:

If I decided to be real dumb and got a Hero mech, how good/bad is the Misery?

AC/20, 2 lpls in the left arm, biggest STD engine you can cram in it, use the right side of the mech as a sheild (optional medium laser in the CT?)

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

I run the same build. AC20s on Urbs are a trap. Only use them if you don't mind being hilariously slow and not having enough ammo ever.

They're good for lols but not good for actually killing stuff.

I like the all laser builds because it leaves you with an entire half of your mech that can be used as a shield.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Reztes posted:

If a side torso is destroyed, any further damage to that side gets transferred to the center torso (armor, or internals if the CT armor is gone), right? I've forgotten how some of the mechanics in this game work.

Yes but it gets reduced, so even after losing a side torso it's still worth using it to shield your mech because it doesn't transfer 100% of the damage.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

DancingShade posted:

It's 50% I think so its definitely worth torso twisting with only a central torso left.

It also works with legs, a destroyed leg will transfer 50% of the damage it takes to the side torso above it.

Arms do not get this bonus however, so a destroyed arm will transfer 100% of the damage it receives into the ground, which can cause problems if too many stray shots hit one as sections of the map may begin to disappear.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

teepo posted:

i thought arms got this bonus? the last i remember, damage transfer was 40% for the first component and 20% for the second.

Yes they actually do, any extra damage after the arm gets shot off will go to the side torso minus whatever the damage reduction is.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Love Stole the Day posted:

I clutched out another game with my Sniper Cat:

I really feel like I've found my niche in this game.

What's your build? I want to steal it.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Team support, basically.

ECM will do more by itself that any amount of AMS ever will, you do not need it. You will not help yourself if you have AMS, you will not help your team if you have AMS.

The only thing you will ever do with AMS is waste a ton/ton-and-a-half that could otherwise be used for something useful.

Also for the record I have a triple AMS kitfox with ams range and overload, trust me when I say: it's useless.

Astroniomix fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 4, 2016

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Yolomon Wayne posted:

It wouldnt have been for me, but for the team.

The best way to support your team is to do things that directly result in the enemy team becoming dead.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Super 3 posted:

This could just be talking out of my rear end but I feel like the King Crab doesn't brawl as well as my humanoid Assaults. Torso twisting does not feel as effective because of it's profile.

The Krab is also incredibly wide which makes moving around other mechs problematic.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Washout posted:

People love the king crab for some reason, it's slow as poo poo and the weapons are all really low, it's really a garbage newbie trap imo. BNC-3E does dakka better and atlas is a better brawler. It can fight off lights but that's about it, it's such an easy target to hit that you will probably lose in any brawling situation.

The Banshe cannot match the dakacrab.

The dual AC/20 king crab is a bad gimmic but the quad uac build is an earth shattering monster that can win brawls through sheer volume of fire. It also has a powerful mid-range aspect that the atlas cannot match.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Pattonesque posted:

They do the same thing but they have different uses. The Crab's mounts are all super low but it has more of them, while the Banshee's are all high-mounted and on one side

So you can utilize cover better with the Banshee, but the Crab is better at fully committing

The banshee is at best 50% of a king crab, they just have drastically different roles.

(banshee is a great mech but it's better for poking than a sustained firefight)

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Drythe posted:

What are good builds for dropping with pubbies in general?

A mech with an engine and at least one weapon.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

That 4G looks a little slow. It might be better to switch to MLas instead of MPLs. Then all your weapons hit at the same range, and you can maybe spring for a slightly bigger engine?

I found this old 4G build floating around on mechspecs

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=1&l=be0536cb49e7d52fe5045405b833d0449e306933

It might be worth a try.

That's pretty much been the standard 4g build since forever. Only variation is some people replace the medium in the head with a 4th ton of AC/20 ammo.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Yolomon Wayne posted:

They do save a fair amount of heat sinks though, and i dont always have LOS.

You don't need heatsinks for a UAC/5 build.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Bait and Swatch posted:

How good is the stalker with 6 LLs? Is it a good fit if I really like the QuickDraw with 4 torso LLs and want to do something similar? I am torn between starting my stalker journey with that or the aSRM6 variant.

Way back in the days before ghost heat it used to be pretty good, I'd imagine it's still OK, just keep in mind any accidental alpha (or not waiting the full .5 seconds between voleys) will shut you down.

Astroniomix fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 16, 2016

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Why cant they have matchmaking like literally every other PvP centric game out there and NOT contantly 99/100 games pit 12 randoms vs. 8+ premades?
It would actually be fun if it werent this lazy rear end "yeah whatever, just give us money" MM.

The don't have enough concurrent players for something like that to work.

It also wouldn't change anything anyway, pubbies will get rolled with or without premades.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Yolomon Wayne posted:

if pubs play pubs, theres no premade rolling.
maybe theyd have more players if it wasnt one giant rape-fest for everyone who isnt into clan-gaming?

Pubs don't need to face a premade to get rolled horribly. Large premades already have a hefty tonnage disadvantage, it's actually to the point where most of the time group will split into 2 smaller groups if they get up to 7-8 people just to free up tonnage.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Yolomon Wayne posted:

You do understand that without a premade, there will only be pubs?
Or do our definitions or "pub" differ greatly?

And I'm saying that even with just pubs, one team getting trashed 12-2 is still going to happen just as often.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I suppose this only applies to quickplay?

Why in god's name are you solo dropping CW?

It's you; you're the pubbie.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Appearently you guys have never played any other games?
Ive played plenty, and all of them kept solo-random/premade seperated as good as possible, throughout all modes.

You are A: seriously overestimaing how much making things "pub only" would help.

And B: dropping in the group mode and then complaining that you're facing groups you loving idiot.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Patrat posted:

I am now going to trigger everyone with the worst of all mech builds, please keep in mind that this is not a Smurfy link, this is something I have in a mech bay:

This is what happens when you drop with goons whilst drinking and the conversation comes around to awful Lurm mechs, keep in mind that it is apparently fully capable of killing pubbies though.

Does the second launcher in the left torso still fire one missile at a time?

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Skoll posted:

It would be cool if they crippled Alpha Strike centric gameplay with like one Alpha = 80% more heat.

Just saying.

Source your quotes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Unboxing Day posted:

The OP mentions in passing baby's first dropdeck. The problem is that it consists of clan mechs (2x Stormcrow, Arctic Cheetah, Timberwolf). What's a decent starting dropdeck to work towards if you're Inner Sphere?

Atlas, 2 thunderbolts, firestarter.

• Locked thread