Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I've got to say, from an outsider's perspective all the red meat they're throwing to the community in the last two weeks is kind of suspicious. It's either the world's best timing from a company that's never demonstrated the ability, or they held back a lot of fixes that they knew would get people hyped up until just before the Steam release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Great Beer posted:

Its not terribly suspicious. They've been making good improvements over the past year but most of it has been little stuff here and there. Biggest change prior to this last patch was probably the mechlab 3.0 or the tutorial. Its really annoying that what amounts to XML changes was so low on their priorities when it made such a massive improvement to the game though. Huge dick move on their part.

Well, I'm glad of it either way. I have too much of a backlog to leap back into MWO this month but it warms my cold callous heart to know that people are enjoying holiday robbits.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

But they already have artillery consumables

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Popped in and played two matches tonight. I was in Tier 4 so I doubt it was very representative, but it was... interesting. Lots of missile spam, lots of people standing still with critted CT's. I dropped in with a LPL storm crow and had two fairly average games with 600+ damage and two or three kills, one win, one loss. Overall it was fun. Nothing really earth shattering, but it was nice to play again. The user interface is still completely balls though. I may join the mumble server tomorrow and play some more.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Sard posted:

Players will whine endlessly in chat about hot maps being a chore because they can't fire as much, and then go to the forums to say they want kills to take longer before going back to only playing on cold maps. Do not seek to understand, ever.

Okay so I'm gonna try this again. I've been leaving my medium 'mech comfort zone to get into heavies, mostly through the Catapult so far. I picked up the Jester during the sale (with ancient founders pack MC) and then the CPLT-A1 and CPLT-C4. At first I ran them with XL engines, but after getting used to the idea of rolling around with the weight of a standard engine in my Crab, I tried it with these and I'm not sure if it's worthwhile or not. When I run XL, I get shot in the sides. The matches I've run with a STD, I've taken comically more CT damage than ST, but it has saved my butt a couple times. I don't feel as competent in heavies as I do in mediums like the Griffin, Crab, and Trebuchet, so I'm not really sure how to correctly evaluate my results with some of these builds- whether changes made were good, or if I just fought pubbies worse than myself. Any advice for which of these to go with or changes to make?

I recall 2LPL 4ML and an xl350 engine working really well on the Jester. The key is to just go flat-out at all times and not engage in face to face fights.

Something like this: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=121&l=b07bb57e2a44188962cc0dbd2010f269bd3a78d4

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Dec 13, 2015

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Can somebody PM me the mumble address? Thank you.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Had an absolute blast dropping with goons tonight. Going to work on my loadouts so I can be a bit more versatile but I'm really enjoying the 3LPL stormcrow.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

http://mwomercs.com/news/2015/12/1436-patch-notes-1447-15dec2015

Patch Notes posted:

BattleZone

• Eight enemy 'Mechs now spawn randomly in the west end of the city, across the bay from the citadel.
• These 'Mechs will fire at the player when the range closes to below 600m.
• 'Mechs will continue to fire at the player until one or the other is destroyed.
• Destroyed 'Mechs re-spawn after about 30 seconds if the player isn't looking at them.
• Pop-up notices will appear when you are entering and exiting the BattleZone area.

Okay PGI, you're almost there. Now figure out how to make the legs move, and add some mission objectives and payouts for completion. Do this and I will give you more money.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Man, I had been holding off on mastering Ravens forever because the 2X was such poo poo. The recent quirkening has worked miracles though- it is a beast machine with 3LL now, even before basic efficiencies.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

The Repo Man posted:

You need to have premium activated, I think.

I sold my 2X a long time ago. Is it as good as the 4X energy quirks? And speaking of Ravens, isolating a lone King Crab on Alpine with my Huggin was great. Killed it just before it's team got to me and murdered me. Too bad they made The Huggin SRM 4 fire so much slower though. With all the internal structure quirks to other mechs, it would help a lot if it was a bit faster.

The 4X has duration -30% and range +30% as well as all the structure and whatever quirks.

The 2X has Cooldown -15%, heat -15%, duration -15%. It allows you to completely ignore the ghost heat penalty- you can fire 3LL 4 or 5 times together with no heat issue even on a hot map. You haven't got as much range as a 4X but if you're going for laser range, get a clan mech imo.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I have updated the saga.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I have been getting absolutely hosed all night in the solo queue and it is making me rage. I am trying to basic out three EBJ variants, and I was using a triple UAC/5 build. Worked great for group play but it is a baaaaaaad loving idea to try and take that into pug matches. The game still rewards cowardice to a ridiculous degree in unorganized play. It's a mid-range build and you can't close because nobody will push. Everyone wants to sit in the back and rain lurms, so the 3 or 4 line mechs get ripped up. 10 drops tonight and every one was spent sitting with my team while they played peek-and-poke until enough were dead that the enemy rushed and overwhelmed me in seconds, or getting bored and attempting to flank only to find nobody supporting, and getting overwhelmed in seconds. I think I'm going back to light mechs, at least there I can run the gently caress away when the pug nerves fail.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Skoll posted:

Play with goons

Normally I would but we had a star wars premiere to go to and I didn't want to bail when company finally showed up. But yeah, definitely in the future.

DancingShade posted:

If it helps, understand most pubbie heavies/assaults are not going faster than 60kph. If you're running forward in a 90kph heavy you're basically not going to get support because they can't keep up.

Also cauldron borns are murder machines because of their pod space, their actual armor is nothing special since they're just 65 ton heavies. You're basically jaegermech grade tough.

Oh I know. I know it's fragile. The UAC/5 build requires so much facetime, the EBJ is (apparently) a pretty high priority target for people, and it just can't tank hits. You need other heavies in there screening for you. But if they're all in LRM boats sitting in the back field, or Atlas pilots who can't seem to master the mysterious intricacies of turning to face threats, what can you do? What I did was switch to a peek-and-poke LPL and Gauss combo. It's boring but my first game out I did 800 damage and got 5 kills, no teammates needed. The meta is what it is, I guess.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Zaodai posted:

Working on my Cauldron Born: If I'm running a pair of SRM Launchers, is it substantially better in either direction to run either a pair of SRM4s with Artemis or a pair of SRM6s without it? My mind keeps telling me that losing out on 8 damage per salvo (nearly an additional AC shot!) is crazy, but everybody has been raving about how good Artemis is for SRMs.

Also, is there a fast way to earn pilot XP? I get thousands of 'mech XP per match, and then like 32 pilot xp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAHxMOw6kPU

This is probably out of date but it gives you an idea.
2 SRM4's with artemis will hit the component you shoot at ~70% of the time for 11.2 dmg per shot (I think- MWO srms may do more than 2 per missile, but it's relative damage we're after, not total).
2 SRM6's with no artemis will hit the component ~46% of the time for 11.04 dmg per shot.

And SRM4's fire faster and consume significantly less ammo.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Zaodai posted:

That's some pretty helpful information, thanks! I didn't notice the spreads getting that much smaller visually (just going by thrust trails), but that's probably just my eyes playing tricks on me since the cone would naturally be getting narrower.

So the SRM4+Artemis would be better for concentrated kills, and the SRM6s without it would be better if I were trying to fish for crits?

I think the general takeaway is that Artemis basically bumps your damage-to-target up by one size category while retaining all other benefits of the smaller weapon in fire rate/ammo capacity. Crit fishing is okay, but seems to be more of an LBX and MG kind of game, I don't know how srms would do.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

The arctic cheetah is my spirit animal, apparently. I got tired of getting punked in ravens and ebon jaguars tonight so I pulled it out for the first time- hot drat, I don't know what it is about that thing but it is like a tiny god. I don't think I've lost a single game in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

various cheeses posted:

Someone post that "what it's like to pilot an atlas" comic again please.

I put up the original but I'm on a tablet away from home for the next two days. It should be in my post history.

• Locked thread