Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

"I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO WITH THIS JENNER"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I forgot how much I like watching The B33f upset Sean Lang. Thank you.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Nickiepoo posted:

Whatever it does well! I am new to clan mechs.

I built one as a poor mans Madcat with 2 LPLs and 4MLs which worked okay then tried triple UAC5s which was also okay but less so. Just wondering if there's anything this chassis does particularly well.

The high mounts are good for hill-humping weapons like ppcs and gauss, but it's also a pretty solid laser-vomit/C-UAC fire-support machine even without the high mounts.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Nickiepoo posted:

I've done this plus an LBX-10 because maybe clan LBX-10s aren't terrible? Please tell me that I'm terrible if this is the case.

LBX-10s are like that slightly balding guy who works with you.

You see him behind you as you're leaving the building and think "Oh it's Ted. Ted's harmless" and then you wake up without any legs and a note telling you that your kidneys are gone too.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

CISscum posted:

Played most of the trial mechs and my favourite is Gauss-Pulse-ML Dire Wolf.
Now I have 20M C-Bills and want to buy a Dakkawolf.
How good/bad idea is it?

It depends on whether you would rather win or harvest a bounty of madbutt in general chat.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

CISscum posted:

Hilariously fun is my type of fun!

Prefer harvesting madbutt any time.

If DWF-Prime supports 3xUAC shenanigans I'll try both.

Then put as many C-UAC5s on there as you can and enjoy. Also C-UAC10. I run a Warhawk kitted out with two of those and it makes people rage.

Devorum posted:

Part of me wants to buy the Kit Fox with 3 AMS and load it with nothing but AMS ammo, then loudly announce that people need to stay near me for LRM protection.

"AMS boat here, stay close to stay dry!"

You could just B33f it and chase down their LRMboats for "point blank AMS"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNf8nCeDaEE

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Rhymenoserous posted:

This video is brilliant.

Pretty much everything TheB33f does in MWO is amazing. I actually had the honor of getting rekt by his 12 ERPPC Dire Wolf a couple nights ago.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

It looks like it's gonna be pretty dope. I'm excited for it and the Hunchie. The Orion and Highlander are going to be pure uncut rear end though.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Mindblast posted:

Will they? Guess I've been out of the loop too long. I thought having a sturdier xl engine could make tge orion pretty nice.

They'll be better than their IS counterparts, for sure. Particularly in the case of the Orion, a Clan XL is a huge step up. The Orion might end up being an awesome little mini-Atlas (although mini might be a strong word, since both Orions are loving giant) but the Highlander is gonna have a hard time filling up its hardpoints. Maybe I'm wrong but I just don't see why you'd take either the Orion or Highlander over any of the established top-tier Clan mechs.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

CISscum posted:

Couldn't decide between cUAC5s and cUAC10s, so I just stuffed my Direwolf full of both.
Something like this: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=171&l=c9da9eaca56b261d236e3d31fc77994514d477ed
Probably far from the most efficient build, but it's indeed hilariously fun. Considering my tactics is to slowly march towards the enemy, blowing my UAC load all over their mechs, I still manage to destroy or cripple several enemies (dealing between 300 and 700 damage) before meeting honorabu death.

You still don't understand what you're dealing with, do you? Perfect troll. Its structural perfection is matched only by its stupidity. I admire its purity. A salt-engine... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of meta. I can't lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Commoners posted:

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=275&l=bdf0361094ebbc47642cd318ddcec08fea4872b9

I made an urbanmech. This is my elite tier 1 machine of choice.

I would like to drop with you in my Cicada.
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=37&l=d913b553079770f61678e30726daac7f00dbcd11

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

Now that I have an Urbanmech it is beautiful. Nevermind that I spent like 5 times its actual cost on giving it DHS/Endo/Ferro, nevermind that I basically can only keep up with the mediums, nevermind that I only have 2 large lasers and 4 machine guns...

No one cares about me. I can just walk behind people, strip their back with lasers, and put them cherry red with MGs before they even realize what is happening.

The 2LL/4MG urbie is a beast. I'm pretty fond of the 3ML/1LPL urbie too, actually. That stupid little poo poo will do work.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

That Archer looks gorgeous. March is going to be an LRM nightmare.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

WarLocke posted:

gently caress that, I wonder if you can fit SRM54 on one :unsmigghh:

(Probably 8xSRM4/6 would be more likely, gives you 4 launchers on each mouse button, coincidentally getting around Ghost Heat as long as you don't spaz out)

But yeah, if I had a game-capable internet connection right now I'd be sorely loving tempted because it's a loving Archer, and I love me some Unseen.

It is really tempting as hell. And I love me a good SRM boat. Buuuuut I got the other two Unseen already and I'm not sure about how many different builds you could really run on them yet. Also it's PGI, and even though they've improved it's still like setting money on fire.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Haha the other group running in Beer Warriors teamspeak just started shouting "Oh poo poo it's Word of Lowtax!"

Good job, guys.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Fil5000 posted:

I am confused at the idea of running clan mediums that aren't the stormcrow. Very confused.

Nah, the Shadowcat is great if you like mechs that are inferior in almost every way.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Unhappy Meal posted:

Just run a Hunchback IIC with 4 C-LRM20s, be as bad as you can be.

I haven't kitted out my Hunchie IICs yet. I'm tempted to do that and just roll through the PUG queue laughing, but I don't think anybody would get the joke.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I think the Firebrand is still considered okay. I mean it's a Jagermech so it has sides made of glass but high mounts and a mix of ballistic and energy.

Dunno about the Ilya, but Cataphracts are always okay. I think the new Thunderbolt hero is generally regarded as okay, but I don't see many of them.

Misery is baller as gently caress though.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Drone_Fragger posted:

You don't want a Cent 9 AH. Its trash. get a Cent 9A or a 9AL. 9A is good because it can rocket punch things to death with 3 SRM6s and the AL is good because you can stick a bunch of pulse or large lasers on it and then laser things with the quirk.

The only nice thing about this free Cent is that you can actually sell it, unlike the two that are stripped and just taking up loving space in my mechbays.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Endbuster posted:

Dang, was that a PPC cat or something?

LPLs maybe? Those things tear when you've got room to shoot and move.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Astroniomix posted:

We have a winrar.

Yeah but it was a pretty safe guess. There's only so many good builds for Shadowcats. My preferred build is basically the same.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Skoll posted:

He was running on the walls with the a 2 LPL/ECM Shadow Cat. It was funny cause half the pubs he killed couldn't tell from where, and the ones who did didn't have the range to shoot him.

That's the best part of that map. People get super upset when you do that in lower tiers.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

ZenVulgarity posted:

What are some good champions and heroes to buy if I wanted to buy them

Or mastery packs

Never buy a Champ unless you like being an idiot.

The Blackjack, Stalker, and T-bolt mastery packs are good. The Hunchback pack isn't worth it anymore, IMO. Griffin MP is pretty good.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

ZenVulgarity posted:

then what about the heroes

This might come as a surprise, but some of the heroes are good and many others are garbage.

If you have the loot, go for the Mastery Packs.

If you just want a hero, these are varying levels of good/okay:

Misery
Sparky
Firebrand
Ilya
X5

e: also, I forgot. I'm 'nerfgun' in game if anybody ever wants to group up. I'm not WoL but I'm kind of an okay guy anyway.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Ezekeel posted:

I want to get some more Clan Heavy mechs. My favourite so far has been TBR-C with 2xUAC5 5xERML. How are the HBR and EBJ? How much difference does the ECM make in Quick Play?

HBR is excellent. Never not run ECM.

EBJ is also pretty good.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Bolow posted:

You're either a Trashcan or a Trashcant son

Don't be a Trashcant.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

ZenVulgarity posted:

Can anyone give me a build for the x-5

Something like this:
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=64&l=e430287e159a54c59a165f50a99a1bc382e9eab7

You can go up and down on SRM and engine sizes for more heat sinks/speed, but that's the general idea you're gonna want to run for the X5.

As tempting as it is, it's not worth dropping the MLs to gain free tonnage - the X5 can't stay in the pocket like an SPL Firestarter or ACH can, and has to do sort of "strafing runs" so it's nice to be able to reach out and touch the other team at range.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Stringbean posted:

Here's the Garbagecan (UM-R60L) build I found and currently use. In battle it tears into sides and butts, most people tend to ignore my poor little urb in favor of bigger dudes. But something tells me I should have used the AC/20 that comes equipped. The quirks favor both weapon types. Faster ACs or longer ranged lasers...

Thoughts?

I run the same build. AC20s on Urbs are a trap. Only use them if you don't mind being hilariously slow and not having enough ammo ever.

They're good for lols but not good for actually killing stuff.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Willfrey posted:

Breaking news: Atlas S is a good mech

These are just the handful of matches I remembered to press print screen on

not shown: The countless matches where I run in first and get butt raped

That's a pretty good scout lance you have there!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Willfrey posted:

I think the op would be less cluttered if we just listed every mech and a little blurb about them, what variants to get, or if the mech is just trash. Like a buyers guide. For example:

Mist Lynx Garbage mech dont buy.

Dragon A fast, fragile IS heavy. 1N variant has a heavily quirked dual AC5 godhand that is fun but not optimal, other variants are toilet mechs.

Atlas Sturdy 100 tonner good brawler. Buy the S, the DD-C. For a 3rd variant get the D or RS, or if you are bad with money get the hero Boars Head. The K is a waste of money.

Dire Wolf A very slow assault that fits an assload of weapons. Buy the W first. Dont buy the Prime. Be cautious with omnipod selection, Prime arms and S torsos have laser heat penalties

This. Honestly just throw a link to mechspecs under all that. The builds there aren't usually the best, but the 5-stars are a good place to start if you're just trying to learn the chassis.

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 3, 2016

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Team support, basically.

Ditch the AMS. It's not worth carrying on a mech that already has ECM. Anybody in your bubble is already going to have better protection from LRMs than a single AMS would give them. They will still be vulnerable to Tags and narcs, but that's where situational awareness comes in.

Those two tons would be better served with almost anything else in them.

e: also what that goon above said. Team support role is largely a waste of that spider's excessive go-fastness. Sometimes it's worth hanging back to use your ECM to help get your heavies into position (if there's no HBRs or CTF-0XPs) but mostly you want to focus on being really ridiculously annoying to the enemy team, particularly their assaults. If you can get an assault lance to turn around during a fight, it's pure sweet sugar.

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 4, 2016

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Love Stole the Day posted:

Is anyone interested in showing up for a 12 v 12 goon inhouse event where we all gently caress around and do gimmicky bullshit that would never happen in a pub game?

ideas:
  • 12 v 12 in the basement of HPG Manifold (everyone is an assault 'mech?)
  • LRM boats only (no ECM allowed?)
  • "protect the baby" -- everyone plays Atlas but each team has 1 UrbanMech (your team loses if the Urbie dies)

For Wobbly Wednesday we sometimes do "John Cena" matches, where a bunch of lights take turns trying to 1v1 an assault or a heavy. It's pretty fun and might be worth adding to your list. I also highly recommend running 12v12s where you have to teamkill first, and the last person left alive from each team then fight.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Flamer locusts only is never not funny, even though it's been done a million times. Either way I'd show up for an event, depending on the day.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Endbuster posted:

Try it with 2 large pulse lasers instead of the PPCs. You'll probably end up doing much more damage and get more kills since the PPC is harder to aim and generates more heat. Not to mention you can fire more and will hit their CT more often. Oh yeah you can brawl too if somebody closes in on you since your weaps don't have a min range. I put a medium pulse on there as well.

So: deadside, 2LPL, 1MPL, 1AC20, at least 3 tons of bullets. Then DBl Heat Sinks and Max armor everywhere else. Have fun with a still very good alpha at range and never overheat with your pin point accuracy.

I switched out from PPCs to LPLs a while ago and it did wonders for my Misery. Is good build.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

ZenVulgarity posted:

I like the PPCs more for some reason. :downsgun:

How good is the Jager-DD jam chance in comparison to other ballistics?

It's a matter of taste I guess :shrug:

Unless they changed it, the DD is still rocking a -30% jam chance quirk. So anywhere from okay to great, I guess.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I mean... I have premium time, if nobody else wants to host the lobby. Who give a poo poo if the guy trying to run the event doesn't. It's not like it matters.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

adamantium|wang posted:

Are 300XLs good for anything besides Jenners? I've been eyeing that Marauder pack and if it helps me dive into lights then I'll pick it up.

Come to think of it, what are useful engines to have these days?

I use 300XLs in all my Cicadas, and even a couple of my heavies (I run an XL in a Jagermech because there's no fun builds if you're not willing to immediately explode when someone pokes your side). Actually they might be my most used engine.

Bait and Swatch posted:

I thought he just wanted someone with premium to start the matches. How do I donate premium time? I've got more than I need since I'm not convinced I'll stick with this game for 3 more months.

I don't think you can donate premium time on your account. I think you have to gift mc.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Bait and Swatch posted:

I've got like 600ish MC, not sure if that helps in anyway. If it does, I'll gladly send it so we can all do funny robot games.

You seem weirdly angry about this, maybe you should take a break for a bit.

I wouldn't worry about it. Somebody will show up who has premium. If nobody does, use it to buy yourself a week of PT and just host the lobby yourself.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Friction posted:

Haven't played in ages. Thread still active. Had to investigate. Took Highlander 733C, put on max engine, AC20, MLs, some SRM4 and... the game is actually fun. What sorcery is this.

:pgi: went full circle. Enjoy a brief moment in the sun before they loop back around to terribad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Seconding the recommendation for Marauders. Those things are dope, and do a pretty good job of soaking damage. 3R is pretty good with 3x AC5 and 4x ML, just remember it gets hot quick.

• Locked thread