Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Just picked up this game yesterday and it's pretty fun but I have a hard time understanding what everything in the mechlab means.

What is "Dynamic armor" that appears in some slots when you remove equipment?
What are the numbers above the different components (arms, legs, torso et.c.) that you can raise/decrease and why is there 2 of them on the torso parts?
What is the difference between AC/5 and Ultra AC/5? They seem almost identical but there is a big difference in price.

I'm running around like this right now: ENF-5P and I'm doing pretty well, probably because everyone else is as terrible as me I guess.

My in-game name is BeefySupreme if anyone wants to invite me to a group, I'm in the GMT timezone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Thanks for the answers!

Is all this described in the game somewhere? Maybe there is more stuff I've missed that can be good to know?

Is it a bad idea to use as many AC guns as possible, like is there a difference between energy/ballistic damage or is it just damage numbers?
I'm thinking about maybe building something like this: KGC-000
Would that work or am I in noob-territory here?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Thank you all for the great help! I didn't notice the King Crab was an assault mech so I think I will stay with medium and heavy mechs until I learn the game some more. Feel like I would be a liability in an assault mech before I know how to play properly.

Great tip about having all weapons on one side so you can shield with the other, didn't think about that. Right now most of my engagements just end up with me and some other noob facing each other slugging it out and since I use AC's I guess I have an advantage in that I don't get overheated.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Should I be touching the armor on my mechs and if so what should I do?
Also, I'm not sure if you have to be online to receive invites so maybe someone already tried but please invite me, BeefySupreme, playing with pubs is getting annoying as I learn more about the game and understand how bad they (and I) am.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Added myself to the invite spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-ftWAUEYqjulLy2rM_TmzhL73qy0KpmsMUxcXEO9noo/edit?usp=docslist_api

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
What should my second unlock be after radar deprivation?
Also, I finally got my TOP DOG to Elite so if you have any cool builds please post them. Using this right now: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=289&l=e6aa273ba1e0dccdc713d183c38859e1259017bf

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
How do you unlock "Mech Packages" badges? I have mastered the Cataphract and Thunderbolt but haven't received any badges yet. I need them.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I'm pretty sure you can't unlock them, they come with the real-money mech packages.

But I did buy them with money, or rather, I spent money for MC which I then spent on the packages. So they only unlock if you pre-order them using real money or what?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Sard posted:

Well, I'd read it, and probably pass it along to my friend who is getting into the game. Speaking of coaxing friends into bad ideas, anyone have good Top Dog builds? I know bracketing is frowned on but without a coordinated group he's settled into using two ERLL in the shoulder slots to poke with and the rest as mediums for when things get close. I'm sure there are better builds that can fight at close and mid range though, but the best I came up with used six ML, three MPL, and an STD310.

From metamechs: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=289&l=e6aa273ba1e0dccdc713d183c38859e1259017bf

I use this, it's pretty nice and I do good in it even though I'm a mediocre player.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I love yell bosses, especially when there's 2 of them and they disagree on the best course of action.
I really like getting told what to do by people who actually know what they are doing though so big props to everyone in mumble for directing my stupid rear end and not yelling too much that one time I got my TOP DOG destroyed by a Jenner that ran circles around me.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Endbuster posted:

Lol yep. I was about to say this. I've been in mumble and heard "well our pubbies..." is the excuse for losing. Nah man. Us goons are good enough to carry a team if we don't get prideful and do our own thing and expect pubbies to listen. If the pickups listen, that's a boon. If they don't, we gotta go with them and try to focus what's killing them to keep the strength in numbers. I used to blame the pubs. Now I don't I just blame myself for not keeping control of my lance and getting them to support the pubs. Even if there is another yell boss contradicting what I'm saying in game, I'll just suck it up and agree with him to keep the drop grouped up. 9/10 times we win those games even if it's a horrible idea by virtue of just being there and killing guys instead of doing our own thing and watching them get murdered.

This is kinda common I feel. I'm a noob and don't want to start arguing but it felt kinda weird 3 days ago when we were dropping in a group of 8 and the mumble erupted in "gently caress those pubbies" "drat pubbies" et.c. when we got rolled.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
The most important thing on the battlefield is looking fly.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

taht guy is cool

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Wow, and that guy is in charge of game design or something?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Should I put the PPC range or cooldown module on my Muromets?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Nuebot posted:

So if I was considering spending real money on this game for something what would be the best? Probably not more than fifty bucks, if I do at all, though.

I think people said that the Mastery packs give you the most value for your money. Personally I bought the Thunderbolt and Cataphract packs, the Thunderbolt being my favourite.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's me, I'm the bad who dies early so I can browse pubbie builds to find out why we're losing and blame them for it.

:ughh:

Is that also why we can't have hot pink paint?

I'll raise you this Atlas, at least he was on the enemy team.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Libluini posted:

In this case (tier 4), we just waltzed blindly forward until we had enemy contact. Then we took so long to form up and turn towards them, no-one had time to leave our group to go and die. We still lost of course, since the enemy basically walked right through our formation and ripped it apart, but we still took 6 mechs down with us.

Edit:

poo poo, it just dawned on me, I helped bring down 4 out of 6 dead enemy mechs in that match. With a joystick. How bad are those guys when I can keep up with them with a joystick? :psyduck:

You "helped" bring down the other mechs. No disrespect but kill assist just means that you hit the mech with something. If you think 4 assists per game is much, try just to hit every enemy once. When dropping solo I always try to get a shot in on all the enemy robots, usually end up with 8-10 assist per game even if I'm not doing especially good.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

hemale in pain posted:

I'm tier 4 and pubbies bunch up into a single square and refuse to do anything, and get incredibly angry and start shouting at people for moving out of the square for 'splitting up'. Also, a ton of them manage to die in the long range shooting battle and I dunno how, are they just standing there?

Yes, they are just standing there. You wouldn't believe the amount of players who try to facetank the first mech they spot.

This is my mech after a 627m range showdown with a Direwolf. I could see his medium lasers impotently try to tickle me while I pounded his face with UAC5s.
His aim was very impressive though, look at that CT grouping despite the ballistic barrage. Helios much?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I have a high IQ which is why people think I am an rear end in a top hat and also why I am not good at this game, I'm simply too smart.

I have a problem with the Rifleman, it is too vulnerable to be a brawler, but too big and slow to zip around in. How are you supposed to play it?
I have mastered the Crab, Enforcer, Cataphract and Thunderbolt and none of them took anywhere near the time it has taken me to even basic the Riflemen. It took me 19 games to basic the 3N :cry:

Does anyone have any good tips?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Washout posted:

Rifleman is a bad robot, sorry.

What it really shows is how ballistics are unbalanced currently in the face of energy weapons. It can't boat energy weapons so it's sub par. 3 AC5's or 3 LPL are probably the best builds it can manage (both with XL engines). Stuff like 2 ac10+med laser or 2 ac20 are just way underpowered currently in comparison.

I managed to cram 3LPLS with a standard engine on the 5D, but the Legend-Killer needed an XL to have 2 uAC/5s and holy poo poo it dies so fast :(
Thank you for telling me it's a bad robot though, now I can absolve myself of any responsibility of my bad performance :tipshat:

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Washout posted:

I mastered and sold the following so far just in case they ever get good again:

Jagermechs
Awesomes
Jenners
Spiders
Orions
Centurions
Kit Foxes
Adders
Have not sold all the mad dogs yet but probably will.

And probably a couple more I can't remember, eventually you need more mechs bays for actual robots you can play the game with instead of garage queens.

If you decide to make a SRM6 brawler put on 4 srm6's and don't stretch it to 6 srm6's, that just does not fit as well as 4 srm6+4er small lasers, and then you have to break up firing groups instead of just alpha striking people in the face. The streak dog is dogshit and not even worth it really, other than inflating end of match damage numbers, plus it requires the range mod or it's even more worthless. 4 med pulse and 4 srm4+A is probably the best build for it really.

If you master a mech and then sell it and later re-buy it, will it still be mastered?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I love doing solo drops, some amazing stuff can happen. For example when your entire team of random players push at the same time and drive the enemies before them, hear the lamentations of their women et.c.
Last night me and some random dude touched cockpits and had an erotic time in the chat and then crushed the enemy team yeah im really high right now

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Finally elite'd my second rifleman, the 5D. Started using this build, seems really nice as far as riflemen goes: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=389&l=47098182e5f097cd4b727e38d7591b3e24473b20

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Olesh posted:

Did you just buy $50 worth of MC? I'm wondering if they got a digit wrong on the Valentine's Sale.

I am thinking about buying this package, seems like a fair deal.

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Feb 22, 2016

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
thinking about cool mechs

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Feb 22, 2016

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I have -39 million c-bills, nice. At least I got 3 ravens and 3 maulers fully kitted out.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Bolow posted:

FYI with negative cbills you cannot change the loadout or customize anything. Not camo, not your cockpit. Not a loving thing

:pgi:

I don't really care about the c-bills since I got so much for them but you can't even change the camo or cockpit items? That suuuuuuucks

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Sorry guys, there will be no banwave, instead we get a new game mode, Helios Arena. It will replace all other modes.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

veedubfreak posted:

Is it worth making a Twitter account to call him out?

no

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Washout posted:

The is the same build I use with my Banshee. You put the AC's on chainfire on one button and the ppc's with chain fire on the other. 3rd button is just an alpha for poking. Chain firing all that bullshit at people scares the hell out of them though!

It was way worse than that, a whole team of those could easily wipe the entire enemy team in CW without losses just because the instant anything shows it's head it eats a million ppc's and explodes. It was a common tactic to just stand in the open with your entire team and just incinerate anything that showed it's head.

Probably a stupid question but why chainfire ultra ac/5s? As I understand they fire at the same rate as regular ac/5s if you don't mash the fire button so why not use regular ac5s?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

A.o.D. posted:

The first time in every match I hit the shift key to toggle arm lock, it opens up the steam browser. It's been doing this ever since I installed the steam version.

Actually, I don't even have to be toggling arm lock. I can even hit shift to capitalize something in chat and it'll open up the steam browser. It only does this once per match, though, and only the first time I hit the shift key.

I have exactly the same problem. No idea how to solve it without disabling the Steam overlay.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Does anyone know when the Marauder will be available for C-Bills?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I found it, the Marauder will be available for C-Bills on the 19th this month.
It is so stupidly expensive to buy mechs with MC, if you have the cash you get much more value from a mastery pack.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
https://www.reddit.com/r/OutreachHPG/comments/4eejuh/saltyasspuglord/

quote:

Yeah, saw that poo poo last night myself. Someone from GIRL started screaming that we were all using Helios as soon as we dropped into a match as a 6 man. Unsurprisingly, the players on the other side were all dysfunctional and not organized, they got crushed 12-0. Suffice to say one of the other players from said unit apologized after the guy rage quit in a later drop.

I really dislike playing with people that start yelling about Helios as soon as they see someone from 228 or EmP or whatever clan they know for sure man that they cheat.
We're supposed to laugh at the salty puglords, not be them.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

veedubfreak posted:

I fully admit to calling out 228 for being helios users. I'll keep being salty about it until PGI starts banning people. I think it's funny that they made a reddit post about it. Someone is feeling guilty. Just a reminder, 228 was ModPuds old clan. "GIT GUD"

Dude, seriously, do you really think he wrote that comment because he is feeling guilty? Get real.
People cheat, it is a fact. But that doesn't mean you have to go around spouting hackusations as soon as you see someone with the wrong kind of numbers/letters in front of their name.
Learn to HOLD DAT L.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Why would I need to "stock up" on XP for faction play? What I need is more c-bills to build a clan dropdeck so I don't have to use the "holy poo poo why are these so bad" trial mechs. And buying mechs for MC is plain robbery unless they are in a mastery pack. Which I don't think any clan mechs have, right?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Zaodai posted:

Weren't they working on "fixing" Bog to not be such a terribly made shithole like a year ago? You still can't walk through tree roots and half the time I inexplicably can't walk up the staircases. gently caress that map, and Canyon. The maps where they try and get creative with their line of sight restrictions by making super quick elevation changes are all poo poo. And yet random pubbies love the drat things.

Jesus.

The reason you sometimes can't get up the stairs is that some steps are bigger than others so you have to chose a different step.

Bog is life.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I would like to know how they plan to address the constantly shrinking playerbase. I know that Steam is not a reliable indicator in absolute numbers since there are MW:O players not using Steam but this game is seriously losing at least 10% of the Steam playerbase each month: http://steamcharts.com/app/342200#6m

I feel like nothing they change or do is to make the game more popular, it seems they have no goal beyond adding more "stuff" be it features or mechs.
My personal opinion is that they should make mechs and modules much cheaper to buy, maybe even lower their prices by 50%. If people could buy more mechs they would spend more time playing them to get them to Elite and Master instead of grinding for hours to buy a single module.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I know it's stupid to put more than 3 LPLs on a mech but if I wanted to do i, which chassis would be the best/have the best quirks? I just want to boat as many LPLs as possible while still being somewhat useful.

• Locked thread