Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mayor Glowku
Jul 29, 2012

:pcgaming: :pcgaming: :pcgaming:
As the title indicates I have hit a point in my life where I really want to play another turn based rpg in the final fantasy style. 2d or 3d doesn't matter, I just desire the progression and world exploration that comes with the genre.

I have played tons of these games and am at a loss for which one to play next. I own everything except the XBONE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Live a live is interesting and relatively unknown if not quite up to that 2d ff quality.

Terranigma is realtime like secret of mana but also relatively unknown, and one of the best snes games out there.

Secret of mana itself had a 2d release that never got play in america. Sd 3 i think. Play it if you haven't.

Valkyrie profile for the playstation is also often overlooked but a bit different than what you want. It's turn based battle with realtime sidescrolling type adventure maps.

You've probably played everything else I could list. Lunar SSS. Radiant historia. Chrono cross. Quirky games everyone has nonetheless played.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Try Suikoden II, Grandia, Breath of Fire III and IV.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
trails in the sky seems different at first glance with its grid based combat but in practice I found it to be pretty similar to final fantasy, and its insanely good

Mountain Dew Code Bread
Mar 20, 2008

klapman posted:

trails in the sky seems different at first glance with its grid based combat but in practice I found it to be pretty similar to final fantasy, and its insanely good

Seconding this, I just got it from the GOG sale and it's been fantastic so far.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
play trails in the sky

Mayor Glowku
Jul 29, 2012

Thanks for all the ideas

Nathilus posted:

Live a live is interesting and relatively unknown if not quite up to that 2d ff quality.

Terranigma is realtime like secret of mana but also relatively unknown, and one of the best snes games out there.

Secret of mana itself had a 2d release that never got play in america. Sd 3 i think. Play it if you haven't.

Valkyrie profile for the playstation is also often overlooked but a bit different than what you want. It's turn based battle with realtime sidescrolling type adventure maps.

You've probably played everything else I could list. Lunar SSS. Radiant historia. Chrono cross. Quirky games everyone has nonetheless played.

I've actually played all of those except radiant historia, i'll check it out.

Dexie posted:

Try Suikoden II, Grandia, Breath of Fire III and IV.

Played em all!

klapman posted:

I'll definitely check it out, 3 people suggesting it!

On steam there's 2 separate games... trails in the sky, and second chapter. I'm guessing play second chapter second. Is it as good as the first?

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

It is definitely as good as the first, I'm not done SC yet so I dunno if I'd say better but they're both incredible

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
If you don't mind tactical combat the fire emblem games (or at least Awakening the latest one) are fun.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
mana khemia is one of the few games I really liked in the genre thanks to the alchemy mechanic

Mayor Glowku
Jul 29, 2012

program666 posted:

mana khemia is one of the few games I really liked in the genre thanks to the alchemy mechanic

I was looking at those too, haven't played it yet either.

For the people who suggested Trails in the Sky I started on hard mode and it's actually pretty hard, but i'm enjoying it very much

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Glowku posted:

As the title indicates I have hit a point in my life where I really want to play another turn based rpg in the final fantasy style. 2d or 3d doesn't matter, I just desire the progression and world exploration that comes with the genre.

I have played tons of these games and am at a loss for which one to play next. I own everything except the XBONE.
trails in the sky

edit: oh you got that one

trails of cold steel comes out at the end of the month, it's in the same world but has a different cast and plot, and fairly similar gameplay.

shadow hearts is one of my favorites - you want to play the original, then shadow hearts: covenant. from the new world is decent but it's a lot goofier, which can be either a plus or a minus depending on who you are. shadow hearts is neat because it's this semi-modern horror game, the first game takes place pre-world war 1 and the second game actually takes place mid world war 1, and while the plot isn't directly about the war it does impact it, especially once you get to russia and japan in the second game.

combat is timing based, if you ever played lost odyssey it's basically the same system (a lot of shadow hearts devs worked on lost odyssey). If you haven't, think the mario RPGs, sort of. When you enter a command a ring pops up and you have to stop the spinning arrow on the 'good' parts of the ring for extra damage/healing/hits/whatever. pretty fun.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 6, 2015

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Look up The Last Remnant on Steam. It scratches that Final Fantasy itch from before Final Fantasy started sucking. You give multiple squads of dudes commands as thought they were one Final Fantasy dude. You explore anime medieval Europa, kill anyone dumb enough to not join your party, recruit dudes smart enough to join your party, open treasure chests and buy bigger swords for your dudes. I almost completed it, and that's more than I can say for most RPGs these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Glowku
Jul 29, 2012

Donnerberg posted:

Look up The Last Remnant on Steam. It scratches that Final Fantasy itch from before Final Fantasy started sucking. You give multiple squads of dudes commands as thought they were one Final Fantasy dude. You explore anime medieval Europa, kill anyone dumb enough to not join your party, recruit dudes smart enough to join your party, open treasure chests and buy bigger swords for your dudes. I almost completed it, and that's more than I can say for most RPGs these days.

Unfortunately i've actually played last remnant through multiple times. God that was a good game

• Locked thread