Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
So I'm trying to come up with some good "ponderous" movies, I suppose these are movies that are not particularly fast paced and involve some level of character introspection. Here are some off the top of my head...

No Country for Old Men
The Man Who Wan't There
Unforgiven

-Blackadder- has a new favorite as of 08:15 on Dec 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Vagina Vacation.

Seriously though, look up Moon. It's pretty good. There's like one major (human) character in the whole thing.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Moon owns. You should definitely watch it.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I just watched 2001: A Space Odyssey a couple days ago, and that lives up the the OP's requirements.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Rocky

Just about my favorite movie to watch alone.

PS. I wish Moon was still on Netflix. They took it off forever ago, and I need to see it again.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
"In my skin," written, directed, and starring Marina De Van. It's her magnum opus, her way of trying to communicate what body dystrophic disorder feels like.

It's a slow burn drama, where she cuts her leg and doesn't realize it. After following a trail of blood she realizes she's hurt and goes to the doctor. After that incident, she becomes obsessed with how her body works, and starts cutting herself intentionally. The film very slowly descends into madness.

In interviews she states that she did not mean to make a horror movie, but rather was looking to find a visual explanation for what she went through at a young age. In real life, she injured her leg and a chunk needed to be removed. Seeing suck a large piece of herself on the operations table getting removed caused a disassociation between her identity and her body, which caused a few years of therapy.

The film is very slow. It looks at the complex relationships between her, her best friend, her boyfriend, her boss and fellow workers, and ultimately her own skin. Very gory and difficult to watch, but well worth it.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Moon

Fantastic Planet

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Love (2011). The space station one, since there are many films with that title.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe

LogisticEarth posted:

I loved that movie. It may have been because my mother chose to watch it while visiting, and refused to turn it off even after being completely lost in the story.
Where else are you going to find a gripping story of a man, a sole survivor, in an effort to stay alive mixed with a civil was documentary and a time/space continuum that eventually ties itself all together?

Joe Der Maus
Mar 19, 2007

mouseketeerous rex

LogisticEarth posted:

In the same vein, Upstream Color and Earthling are both really good and I would consider them as ponderous.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

There Will Be Blood

The Fountain

Dead Man

Kaludan
Jul 2, 2009
Fargo? A long ponderous wait for a woodchopper scene.

Also seconding Moon

Kaludan has a new favorite as of 02:07 on Dec 11, 2015

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
All is Lost 2013

Robert Redford is the only actor to appear in this movie and he speaks less than 5 lines. Just one man against the sea.

sexual Norm
Aug 23, 2007

It's like shaking hands with a professional armwrestler.

-Blackadder- posted:

So I'm trying to come up with some good "ponderous" movies, I suppose these are movies that are not particularly fast paced and involve some level of character introspection. Here are some off the top of my head...

No Country for Old Men
The Man Who Wan't There
Unforgiven

The Hit

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
This is my favorite genre. I love being able to get entertainment from a movie by thinking about it and solving parts of it even when I'm not watching it. Some good ones already mentioned, but here's more
Top tier:
Primer
Resolution(I love love loved this)
Donnie Darko
Mulholland Drive

Ponderous, but not a complete package
Mr. Nobody
Coherence(if you liked primer, this is for you)
Shuffle(acting is laughable, but its a fun puzzle)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Youth without youth

Eolomea

Solaris (the Tarkovsky version)

Until The End Of The World

The Seven Samurai

M

• Locked thread