Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Last year I had some major life events take place that left me single and jobless with a severance check and a decent amount in savings. Right around that same time tickets for my favorite band's tour went on sale right around the same time I received my severance and I had plenty of money in savings I did the only rational thing and spent the last half a year doing something that made me happy.

I'm a professional photographer and it's been a dream since I first started shooting concerts with film back in 2001 to eventually shoot a U2 tour. I went and did it and I don't regret it for a minute.

I'm still working out what I'll do with all of the photos, this is a fraction of my total selects. As a whole there are many narratives running through them following my friends & fellow fans.

A vast majority of these were shot with only a Fuji x100t (fixed 35mm f/2) with the last batch of shots in Ireland shot on with a Fuji xt1 with a 16-55mm f/2.8. It was a really fun challenge doing what I could with just the x100t. So far I have no regrets ditching all of Canon gear for Fuji.

Happy to answer any questions about concert photography or transitioning to mirrorless after DSLR life if anybody is curious.

Vancouver, BC
First two shows of the tour.

International fans pose for a photo before the first show.

Trish gets wristbanded for the second night's show.

Bono on the "E" stage for Until the End of the World

Los Angeles

This guy painted the jacket himself, he had it signed by BB King in 1999 and Bono minutes before I took the photo. This was just a few weeks after BB King passed away.

Real Bono pulled a Bono impersonator up on stage.

Mariel "meerkat'ing" with Bono.

Edge leaves the stage with Adam's bass in hand, ending the night with "40" which was dedicated to the band's tour manager of 33 years who was found dead in his hotel room the morning of this show.

LA Sunset Strip, The Roxy

This was a 1-off gig to make up for a missed KROQ performance when Bono had his injury. There were only maybe 500 people in the audience, the smallest full show U2 has played in years and years and the only way to get tickets was to win them on the radio (or by being a celeb).

I think this is my personal favorite of the entire tour

Cassie gets serenaded for Beautiful Day video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIUR8Hhks1E

The crew had some tighter quarters than usual to work in.

Chicago

Bono reaches out to Joy, Chicago night 1

Joy gets pulled on stage

Joy & Bono. I was sleeping on the couch of Joy's airbnb in Chicago. She had been telling me earlier in the day that she knew she would never get to go on stage and she was totally alright with it because she wouldn't know what to do with herself.

Joy "meerkat'ing"

Joy gets helped off stage

David & Josie watch the show from the catwalk, Chicago night 2

Bono returns an Irish flag he had borrowed

David & Betsy, It was the day of the Pride parade in Chicago and the day after the supreme court had ruled in favor of marriage equality. David is a longtime U2 fan and gay man from California who had spent the morning making this flag with the lyrics from U2's "Pride".

Julia gets pulled on stage

Julia & Bono twirl

In addition to Julia the band brought a singer, Kevin, and a blind guitarist, Sean, (note he's left-handed) onstage for Desire: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-5pTvCfGcg

David threw his flag on the catwalk during Pride, Bono noticed it and picked it up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbwPJIjoTtI#t=2m10s

Security helped David get his flag back before the end of the show. He spent the rest of the set dancing at the back of the floor.

Edge, Chicago night 4

Evan gets brought on stage for City of Blinding Lights

Evan watching from the drum riser

Larry waving goodnight

New York

Fans waiting in the queue before the first show

Fred & Scampers, Fred was the lead driver for the US leg of the tour and is responsible for 24 semis worth of gear, Scampers is just along for the ride

Bono signing autographs before soundcheck. This is a pretty common sight, as long as they aren't running late to arrive you can almost always count on at least one band member stopping off to take photos or sign autographs.

Veronica from Chile on stage for Mysterious Ways, New York night 1. This was the only show of the tour I saw from seats.

Bullet the Blue Sky used a lot of wall street imagery.

Fans in line the day of the second show. It was ridiculously hot & humid in New York.

Ignacio from Chile printed a photo I took of himself on the screen from the first night's show to try and get it signed for the second night. He was hoping to get pulled on stage to play guitar the first night and was planning to attend all 8 shows at Madison Square Garden in the hopes that he could make it happen.

Alex & Paco from Mexico City. Paco had been on stage earlier in the tour in LA as well as 4 years earlier on the previous tour when he was 6 years old.

New York night 6. Amp is a doctor from New York, I first met him in Vancouver for the tour kickoff shows.

Ignacio got his chance to play guitar a week and a half after the shows in New York started.

He killed it, best fan guitar playing of the tour.

For his efforts he got to keep the guitar... pretty nice Taylor actually, he was thrilled.

So these next couple of shots were something pretty special. One of the biggest fansites was hosting their 20th anniversary party in New York on a night off between shows. The Edge and Adam crashed the party and joined the local tribute band on stage for a couple of songs. They didn't even bother bringing their own instruments

They couldn't have picked a more appreciative audience to surprise

The weather took a turn for the lovely for the 7th New York show. Everyone in the GA line that day was soaked walking into the show.

NYPD kept us safe from crackheads hanging around Penn Station

Mark Baker is a superfan from Toronto. His friends made a documentary a few years ago about his obsession, you can find it on youtube, it's called "U2 Brothr"

Mark was on stage for Mysterious Ways that night

Bono made the mistake of handing the microphone to the girl who found him after his bike accident in central park. She was drunk after spending the night trying to keep up with the FDNY guys next to her. She made a comment about how New Yorkers were terrible people... She made that comment in Madison Square Garden. This was the bands reaction when they realized what a colossal mistake they had made. The NY Post bought this photo from me and just cropped in on Bono's face to run in the middle of an article dissing the woman.

Mark thanks Adam

Not pictured, but on the screen is a video of Lou Reed singing Satellite of Love, which they performed as a duet.

I have no idea how many selfies Mark ended up in that night... it was a lot.

Scampers holds the midnight vigil. This was around 1am as the trucks were working to move some things.

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Dec 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

That was a pretty rad set of photos. I particularly liked all the narratives you managed to capture along the way. Top work.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I just got home from 3 weeks in Ireland having caught 2 shows in Belfast & 4 in Dublin. These were the first shows that I took a different camera to so I was able to use a zoom lens and change things up a bit.

Belfast

Bono reaches for Amra

Teresa from Italy on stage "meerkat'ing"

Adam has been making a point to wear band shirts for bands from the city they're playing in. I was wearing a Thin Lizzy shirt in anticipation of Dublin, I'd like to think he noticed.

Belfast night 2, we were hanging out with Alex, Paco, & their dad, Francisco from Mexico City.

Bono motions for Veronica

Mysterious Ways

Bono comes looking for Alex & Paco...

...and he spots them

the guitar strap was just a little too long

Paco sings "Desire"

Paco insisted on carrying his own guitar

Dublin

Josie on stage for Mysterious Ways, Dublin night 1

Adam did wear that Thin Lizzy shirt. His was Bad Reputation that night, I was wearing my Black Rose shirt.

Edge & Bono, Raised by Wolves

The Dublin shows were the only ones where the E stage ended up in the middle of the catwalk due to space constraints, thus they were the only shows where there was a mirrorball directly in the middle of the stage.

Eliezer from Brazil wearing a boxer outfit paying homage to a costume Bono wore on the Popmart tour.

Jenna from Toronto on stage for night 3.

I think this is sort of Bono's "are you not entertained?" pose

The surprise song for Dublin night 3 was New Years Day, Edge switches between guitar and keys for that song

I have very few shots of the screen/catwalk cage because I was almost always against the railing at the shows right up against the screen but this is one of the cool things that happens during Until the End of the World. Bono is down at the far end spitting water into the audience sort of while Edge is playing inside of the screen creating this illusion.

Dublin night 4, Bono takes the stage for the "E" stage set midshow.

Special guest for Mysterious Ways is an Irish drag queen named "Panti Bliss" who was instrumental in helping push marriage equality legislation through in Ireland.

Special guest for "Desire" is a Dublin singer named Imelda May

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Dec 6, 2015

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Worth mentioning that Amp, Mark, Trish, & Amra, who are in these photos are all being flown to Paris by the band for the shows this weekend. HBO is broadcasting the final show Monday night at like 9pm EST. So I'm hoping to see some friends on stage one last time this year.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Good on you for doing what makes you happy and I'm proud of you for publicly admitting that the embarrassingly terrible and boring band, U2, is your favorite.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

MMD3 posted:

the final show

ever I hope

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Thanks for commenting guys, really makes the time it took putting this post together all worth it.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Why do they need 24 semis for some guitars and a drum kit?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Bubbacub posted:

The stage goes with, too.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
gently caress the haters, these own. I really dig the narratives you looked for. It's easy to take a cool-looking concert photo; this goes so far beyond that. Great work, dude.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

RangerScum posted:

Good on you for doing what makes you happy and I'm proud of you for publicly admitting that the embarrassingly terrible and boring band, U2, is your favorite.

Don't be cunts.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

MMD3 posted:

Thanks for commenting guys, really makes the time it took putting this post together all worth it.

I do think your experience seems awesome and I've love to do something similar some day, and you got some pretty awesome live pics that you'll always get to treasure- way to take life by the horns for real.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

MMD3 posted:

would you say that the shitposting has set you on edge?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

These are all impressive and you did a great job.The 6th in your first post is phenomenal.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

MMD3 posted:

Were you getting paid for this or did you do it pro bono?

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

DJExile posted:

These are all impressive and you did a great job.The 6th in your first post is phenomenal.

You liked that too?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

erephus posted:

You liked that too?

Yeah, I remember when he posted it a month or two ago in... I think it was the mirrorless thread. I really love it.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Helen Highwater posted:

Were you getting paid for this or did you do it pro bono?

I see what you did there.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Those are great photos. I'm not really into U2 but I hope to catch a show sometime for the sheer spectacle.

Also, lol at this

Bubbacub posted:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
These are all really impressive and cool. I have to imagine that you had an "in" with the band and management somehow since everybody that went on stage was standing directly next to you?

Did you get shuffled to the front for every show, and did you get to hang out with the band and crew between shows?

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

When did you first hear U2?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Judge Schnoopy posted:

These are all really impressive and cool. I have to imagine that you had an "in" with the band and management somehow since everybody that went on stage was standing directly next to you?

Did you get shuffled to the front for every show, and did you get to hang out with the band and crew between shows?

No "in's" to speak of. the entire floor of their shows are general admission. The people who wait in line the longest (in most cases getting a number the day/night before the show and then coming back every couple of hours for check-ins) get the best spots on the floor. In almost every case I was in the top 10-20 people in line to guarantee a good spot where I wanted to stand for to take photos. They primarily pulled people out of the audience midway through the show from the smaller 2nd stage near the back of the venue. I just figured out early on in the tour that the part of the show I found to be most entertaining and best for compelling photos were the songs with audience interaction. For probably 80% of the shows I stood where the 2nd stage met the catwalk to the mainstage so I could get photos looking down the catwalk to the main stage or across the 2nd stage.

In many of the cases Bono pulls people on stage that he recognizes from previous shows or who had met the band outside of the venue before soundcheck. You go to enough shows and you can get a good sense of who are the most likely people to get pulled on stage. Once I was in the venue I was pretty much stuck in place, if a security guard or camera guy ended up standing directly in front of me then I had to shoot around them. It wasn't easy by any means but I've shot concerts for long enough that you just learn what to look for and get really good with timing your shots and anticipating movement of the band. Often times I'd see something happen and make a mental note that I wanted to capture it and then it would be 2 or 3 shows later before I actually had the right condition to capture it.

No, never got to hang out with the band/crew really. I got to know some of the crew a little bit just through talking to them before shows and such but nothing more than that.

Puppy Galaxy posted:

When did you first hear U2?

like 1992 I think...

Today's show from Paris is broadcasting on HBO tonight, 9pm. Eagles of Death Metal were on stage to close out the show.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

These are really cool. It's great to see a wide-ranging personal experience like yours captured in such an aesthetically competent way. There's a few photos in there that actually make U2 look pretty cool - particularly that one of Bono which you shared before. If I was Bono I would buy that picture.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?

DJExile posted:

Totally agree! I can only hope that I can quit my job at some point and just go take pictures for a while too.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Sounds like a fun time. The pictures came out really well. Connecting the fans and the band helps give them a broader context which is cool too.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Can you please tell me the names of the people in U2, and which instruments they play?

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

I'm a giant dick for posting a funny video, that is a series, that makes fun of every band that ever existed.

My apologies.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Can you please tell me the names of the people in U2, and which instruments they play?

Bonobos, Thedge, Adam Clay-2000lb, Larry Muller Sr's Son.

Dren posted:

Sounds like a fun time. The pictures came out really well. Connecting the fans and the band helps give them a broader context which is cool too.

Thanks, yeah, I've looked at plenty of concert photos over the years and the ones that I always find the most interesting are the ones that show something more than just the artist on stage. I realize that the "payoff" in a set like this is going to be the performer on stage but I guess I'm hoping that the rest of the shots providing the context move it more into the documentary realm and give it a more fascinating human interest element than typical concert photos.

dude, weren't you already probated in this thread once? are you really this dumb or just a giant dick?

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

MMD3 posted:

dude, weren't you already probated in this thread once? are you really this dumb or just a giant dick?

Sorry your feelings were hurt. I'll try to be funnier next time. :(

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

MMD3 posted:

Bonobos, Thedge, Adam Clay-2000lb, Larry Muller Sr's Son.

So my next question - Did you spot Scott and Scott at that fan site party? Did you enjoy Adam Scott sounding like Chris Farley interviewing Paul McCartney as much as I did?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Puppy Galaxy posted:

So my next question - Did you spot Scott and Scott at that fan site party? Did you enjoy Adam Scott sounding like Chris Farley interviewing Paul McCartney as much as I did?

no, after I heard on the podcast that they were at the party I was kicking myself for not spotting them. My attention was pretty much completely focused on the stage though and apparently they were standing in the back.

It's funny though because it was the atu2.com party and that's the site that Adam is always referencing. They really really know their poo poo so they've clearly been fans for a long time.

I must have missed that episode, I think there were a few in there that I got out of order trying to catch up. The whole thing is hilarious, especially when they are giving each other poo poo for their favorite albums. Nobody's favorite album is How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

MMD3 posted:

no, after I heard on the podcast that they were at the party I was kicking myself for not spotting them. My attention was pretty much completely focused on the stage though and apparently they were standing in the back.

It's funny though because it was the atu2.com party and that's the site that Adam is always referencing. They really really know their poo poo so they've clearly been fans for a long time.

I must have missed that episode, I think there were a few in there that I got out of order trying to catch up. The whole thing is hilarious, especially when they are giving each other poo poo for their favorite albums. Nobody's favorite album is How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb.

Oh man, the one I'm referring to is the last one. They actually sit down with U2 for an hour. It's pretty epic.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Oh man, the one I'm referring to is the last one. They actually sit down with U2 for an hour. It's pretty epic.

oh, I definitely listened to it, I'll have to relisten, didn't remember a part about Paul McCartney.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Sorry to continue to hijack this thread with podcast chat but I was referring to how much he nerded out, and kind of sounded like that SNL sketch with Chris Farley interviewing Paul McCartney, being all nervous and excited and stuff, nothing specific.

Anyway I don't really like U2 but I really enjoyed that podcast because it was funny and because it's endearing to hear two comedians talk about their fandom for an uncool (but massively popular) band. Ok, see ya later.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I was in the audience for the 2nd New York show.

How did the audience plants work? The dude comes up on stage, Bono is like "I HOPE YOU KNOW HOW TO PLAY GUITAR" and the guy breaks into a perfect rendition of Angel of Harlem and doesn't gently caress up the entire thing. I rolled my eyes pretty hard, but it was also kind of awesome.

Also that set/stage whatever was INCREDIBLE.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Sorry to continue to hijack this thread with podcast chat but I was referring to how much he nerded out, and kind of sounded like that SNL sketch with Chris Farley interviewing Paul McCartney, being all nervous and excited and stuff, nothing specific.

Anyway I don't really like U2 but I really enjoyed that podcast because it was funny and because it's endearing to hear two comedians talk about their fandom for an uncool (but massively popular) band. Ok, see ya later.

OHHHHhhhhh, gotcha, yeah. It was funny listening to a famous hollywood celeb get freaked out. Even earlier in the podcast when he's talking about ending up at a table next to Bono's daughter and he can't bring himself to tell her he hosts a U2 podcast. I was just like... god man, own up to it, here's your opportunity to get an interview! It's hilarious how much poo poo those guys talk about and then when it comes down to it they get scared and have to play it cool :D

I'm glad Bono (certainly with a publicists assistance) were up to playing the antics and gave him the dick drawing.

Totally agree that the best part of the podcast is the endearing quality. They really don't shy away from being giant nerds and plenty of their fans (particularly us younger fans) are completely self-aware of how uncool the band is perceived to be by many of our peers.

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 10, 2015

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Awkward Davies posted:

I was in the audience for the 2nd New York show.

How did the audience plants work? The dude comes up on stage, Bono is like "I HOPE YOU KNOW HOW TO PLAY GUITAR" and the guy breaks into a perfect rendition of Angel of Harlem and doesn't gently caress up the entire thing. I rolled my eyes pretty hard, but it was also kind of awesome.

Also that set/stage whatever was INCREDIBLE.

Wait, which date? don't think there was a guitarist up for night 2.

It wasn't plants though, seriously, if somebody killed it on guitar it's because they practiced for it and were just a big fan. If it was Ignacio (the guy in my photos in New York) then he is actually in a band at home in Chile and is a really talented guitarist.

If somebody has a sign up "I play guitar" or whatever and has been at several shows and they want to pull them up then typically one of the security guards will come over and say "okay, can you play Angel of Harlem? How about Desire?" etc. They'll get a sense of how confident the person is and if they know what the songs that are on the set. There have been plenty of situations where the person was NOT a good guitar player or dancer and in the case of guitarists they can fudge it a bit and turn them down in the mix.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

MMD3 posted:

Wait, which date? don't think there was a guitarist up for night 2.

It wasn't plants though, seriously, if somebody killed it on guitar it's because they practiced for it and were just a big fan. If it was Ignacio (the guy in my photos in New York) then he is actually in a band at home in Chile and is a really talented guitarist.

If somebody has a sign up "I play guitar" or whatever and has been at several shows and they want to pull them up then typically one of the security guards will come over and say "okay, can you play Angel of Harlem? How about Desire?" etc. They'll get a sense of how confident the person is and if they know what the songs that are on the set. There have been plenty of situations where the person was NOT a good guitar player or dancer and in the case of guitarists they can fudge it a bit and turn them down in the mix.

Yeah, it was Ignacio. It was pretty impressive.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Awkward Davies posted:

Yeah, it was Ignacio. It was pretty impressive.

Yeah, Ignacio had probably been preparing for that opportunity from the day they announced the tour.

Honestly though, Desire and Angel of Harlem which they typically use as the songs they pull people up for are two of their easier guitar parts. I think that night Bono made a comment to the effect that he has a complex about people taller than him coming on stage so Ignacio better be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Those pictures are totally awesome.

• Locked thread