Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

What is Heroes of Ecclesia?

Heroes of Ecclesia is a new MMORPG cut from the old school cloth of such classics as Meridian 59, Ultima Online and Star Wars Galaxies. In a market bloated with theme park, casual, and "friendly" experiences, Heroes promises to bring something more hardcore to an untapped and hungry market. Heroes looks to bring something no other MMO has or is currently attempting to do: Bring open PVP, perma-death, long term meaningful consequences, and a deep and immersive world. This is a game not for the feint of heart, not for the weak, or those not prepared to dedicate themselves wholly to the gaming experience.

What makes Heroes different?

Heroes of Ecclesia sets itself above the pack of casual, boring MMOs by creating immersive, cinematic game systems that allow for emergent game experiences. Much like Dwarf Fortress and hardcore Roguelikes such as Dungeon Crawl and TOME, Heroes will create a world where the player is truly a member of a living, breathing world. They will adventure, fight, love, and die as if they'd live a real life. The only limit to the game is your imagination.

Choices that matter.

Long gone are respawns and ghosting. When a character dies, they are dead forever. There are no second chances in Heroes, and even the mightiest wizard is as weak as the lowliest soldier. The friendships you make and the quest to accept will have a long term effect on you. The battles you wage will leave you with permanent scars, for better or worse. Long gone are throwing yourself at a raid boss and a guild wipe will end entire empires. Heroes will make you value your character in ways you've never expected.

Truly Free Classes.

Heroes is not shackled down by traditional class based systems. In an yet unseen concept in a video game, players will be able to choose their own play style. This playstyle will be defined not by the weapons they wield, or armor they wear, but by the interactions they have in the world. The aggressive and forceful characters will unlock skills that allow them to fight harder. Lifting boulders, building farms, will allow you to hit harder. Running will make you faster. Rather then selecting a weapon and gaining its abilities, players must earn their skills. They must dedicate themselves to training what they want. Whether its swimming to make yourself more agile or reading to become smarter, players will do real functions in the game linked to immersive and realistic minigames. Reading books is no longer a scrolling bar, but instead a suduko like mini game. To be smart, one must learn. From this, players will truly be free to create the character they want without limitations.

Skill based combat.

Long gone is your traditional MMO combat. In heroes, combat is deep and meaningful. Dozens of things can modify your fighting experiences, from the stance of your weapon to the allies to fight alongside. A heroic knight may receive penalties for partying with a devious thief, and a witch's magic may fail when battling alongside a holy cleric. Players will need to think beyond just the holy trinity and create realistic, immersive parties. From this players will create deep, emergent stories of heroic warriors battling devious vagabonds. Players will finally be able to have an authentic, cinematic roleplaying experience without every having to write a single line of emotive dialog to one another.

Communication is the key.

There will be no chat in Heroes. Indeed, the only forms of communication are over microphone, the limits of it are the limits of your own voice. Using next-generation sound modulation technology, players volume of voice will actually create realistic waves of sound. Whispering rogues can chat while the dumbfounded guild guards never see them coming. Announce grand battle speeches using powerful spells to amplify your voice to hundreds. Through this, players will truly feel like they live in a fantasy world.

Open PVP done right.

Open PVP is important. Without it, you're left in a sterile world with no interaction. What Heroes brings is a truly amazing PVP experience, finally allowing a world with scary consequences while still allowing a way to combat griefers. If a player attacks another they are tagged with a misdemeanor. If they continue to attack or are attacked again within 15 minutes they become a criminal. If they kill another player over the next hour they become a villain. If any player attacks a villain and are not considered a hero they become a vigilante. If a vigilante kills a villain and does not loot their corpse they become a hero. Heroes may hunt villains, criminals and those with misdemeanors without any issues. Simple systems like this will allow for authentic and realistic PVP. Players will be able to track criminals following blood prodecurally left from their weapons. Criminals will need to be skilled in hiding and covering their trails, creating a truly epic game of cat and mouse.

A living world.
Heroes is not like other MMOs where NPCs are static beings. Every NPC, from a farmer in the field, to the highest king is a living, breathing member of the world. Using advanced AI algorithms, the NPCs in Heroes living a life not unlike your own. Some many adventure and even compete with the player and create deep and emergent stories lines without ever opening a quest log. NPCs will live real lives. Garthog the Orkkian lord may give you a task in the morning, but by noon he's laboring in the mines, disinterested in what you have to say. And by nightfall, he and his beloved children are fast asleep. Players will be able to consider when to do quests and plan schedules around it, creating a truly immersive world.

Truly epic scale.
The world of heroes will be 10x bigger then even the largest mainstream MMO. Fast travel will be foregone in exchange for logical means of transportation, such as horses and wagons. While the time to travel is increased, it allows players to experience the world and see the many people and creatures filling Ecclesia. Giant monsters roam, hungry for food and bandit camps may rise into black market downs before the players eyes. The world of Heroes is anything but static and even towns may be destroyed and rebuilt over the course of months.

Deep politics.
Setting itself apart from its rivals, Heroes has no initially government. All cities and NPCs will be governed by players. Players will constantly struggle over land and resources and must protect the people living on these lands so they can gain the resources to build their vast armies. Backstabbing, wars and alliances will become the language of Heroes end game and players will find the pen is sometimes mightier then the sword as politicians do battle in one another's courts. Players will soon find that their speech will have other uses, in the battle of will they will find. From this, a truly immersive world, filled with endless emergent, procedural stories can come forth, like Dwarf Fortress and other games.

Who are you?

We're Ganky Kong Games. An amateur team, but lovers of true MMOs. With a combined industry experience of 10 years, we bring unrivaled experience in concept writing, scenario planning, and adventure crafting.

What can I do?

Heroes needs money. It's as simple as that. Donate to our kickstarter now and see the game gamers truly want made.

Kickstarter

Official Ganky Kong website

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Lol

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

gently caress off with this poo poo

EDIT: sorry, thought this was the Maple Story Reboot thread, misclicked.

DrPaper fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Dec 6, 2015

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Dunno why the OP didn't link the secondary pre-alpha sign up site if you don't wanna be a backer but still want a chance to play. Click

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Dunno why the OP didn't link the secondary pre-alpha sign up site if you don't wanna be a backer but still want a chance to play. Click

My bad. I'd recommend registering with several emails, as the devs doesn't have anyway to stop you from doing it. From what little I played of this game at PAX it seems worth it, in my opinion.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

What's wrong with that dude's face?? I mean:

He doesn't look very happy to be there.

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

"I took the most excellent hit of my life. Next thing I knew, I was on the beach taking in some cosmic rays gettin healed by mother nature. Takin in a little brewski, holdin on to a beautiful babe. And I'm fine today!"

Martman posted:

What's wrong with that dude's face?? I mean:

He doesn't look very happy to be there.

I just spit out my beer. :haw:

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
That's my face looking at this thread.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
sounds good op, where can I buy a 350 dollar founder pack

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this is the best thread in MMO HMO right now

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Hello new drunjk posting thread

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Third World Reggin posted:

Hello new drunjk posting thread

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

Farg posted:

sounds good op, where can I buy a 350 dollar founder pack

:doh: Yet another thing I forgot to include in the OP. Sorry all! Here's the founder's packs they're currently offering.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Respawn token?? Wow great, more pay 2 win garbage. Good thing I only bought Warlord Tier.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Space Bat posted:

What is Heroes of Ecclesia?

Heroes of Ecclesia is a new MMORPG cut from the old school cloth of such classics as Meridian 59, Ultima Online and Star Wars Galaxies. In a market bloated with theme park, casual, and "friendly" experiences, Heroes promises to bring something more hardcore to an untapped and hungry market. Heroes looks to bring something no other MMO has or is currently attempting to do: Bring open PVP, perma-death, long term meaningful consequences, and a deep and immersive world. This is a game not for the feint of heart, not for the weak, or those not prepared to dedicate themselves wholly to the gaming experience.

What makes Heroes different?

Heroes of Ecclesia sets itself above the pack of casual, boring MMOs by creating immersive, cinematic game systems that allow for emergent game experiences. Much like Dwarf Fortress and hardcore Roguelikes such as Dungeon Crawl and TOME, Heroes will create a world where the player is truly a member of a living, breathing world. They will adventure, fight, love, and die as if they'd live a real life. The only limit to the game is your imagination.

Choices that matter.

Long gone are respawns and ghosting. When a character dies, they are dead forever. There are no second chances in Heroes, and even the mightiest wizard is as weak as the lowliest soldier. The friendships you make and the quest to accept will have a long term effect on you. The battles you wage will leave you with permanent scars, for better or worse. Long gone are throwing yourself at a raid boss and a guild wipe will end entire empires. Heroes will make you value your character in ways you've never expected.

Truly Free Classes.

Heroes is not shackled down by traditional class based systems. In an yet unseen concept in a video game, players will be able to choose their own play style. This playstyle will be defined not by the weapons they wield, or armor they wear, but by the interactions they have in the world. The aggressive and forceful characters will unlock skills that allow them to fight harder. Lifting boulders, building farms, will allow you to hit harder. Running will make you faster. Rather then selecting a weapon and gaining its abilities, players must earn their skills. They must dedicate themselves to training what they want. Whether its swimming to make yourself more agile or reading to become smarter, players will do real functions in the game linked to immersive and realistic minigames. Reading books is no longer a scrolling bar, but instead a suduko like mini game. To be smart, one must learn. From this, players will truly be free to create the character they want without limitations.

Skill based combat.

Long gone is your traditional MMO combat. In heroes, combat is deep and meaningful. Dozens of things can modify your fighting experiences, from the stance of your weapon to the allies to fight alongside. A heroic knight may receive penalties for partying with a devious thief, and a witch's magic may fail when battling alongside a holy cleric. Players will need to think beyond just the holy trinity and create realistic, immersive parties. From this players will create deep, emergent stories of heroic warriors battling devious vagabonds. Players will finally be able to have an authentic, cinematic roleplaying experience without every having to write a single line of emotive dialog to one another.

Communication is the key.

There will be no chat in Heroes. Indeed, the only forms of communication are over microphone, the limits of it are the limits of your own voice. Using next-generation sound modulation technology, players volume of voice will actually create realistic waves of sound. Whispering rogues can chat while the dumbfounded guild guards never see them coming. Announce grand battle speeches using powerful spells to amplify your voice to hundreds. Through this, players will truly feel like they live in a fantasy world.

Open PVP done right.

Open PVP is important. Without it, you're left in a sterile world with no interaction. What Heroes brings is a truly amazing PVP experience, finally allowing a world with scary consequences while still allowing a way to combat griefers. If a player attacks another they are tagged with a misdemeanor. If they continue to attack or are attacked again within 15 minutes they become a criminal. If they kill another player over the next hour they become a villain. If any player attacks a villain and are not considered a hero they become a vigilante. If a vigilante kills a villain and does not loot their corpse they become a hero. Heroes may hunt villains, criminals and those with misdemeanors without any issues. Simple systems like this will allow for authentic and realistic PVP. Players will be able to track criminals following blood prodecurally left from their weapons. Criminals will need to be skilled in hiding and covering their trails, creating a truly epic game of cat and mouse.

A living world.
Heroes is not like other MMOs where NPCs are static beings. Every NPC, from a farmer in the field, to the highest king is a living, breathing member of the world. Using advanced AI algorithms, the NPCs in Heroes living a life not unlike your own. Some many adventure and even compete with the player and create deep and emergent stories lines without ever opening a quest log. NPCs will live real lives. Garthog the Orkkian lord may give you a task in the morning, but by noon he's laboring in the mines, disinterested in what you have to say. And by nightfall, he and his beloved children are fast asleep. Players will be able to consider when to do quests and plan schedules around it, creating a truly immersive world.

Truly epic scale.
The world of heroes will be 10x bigger then even the largest mainstream MMO. Fast travel will be foregone in exchange for logical means of transportation, such as horses and wagons. While the time to travel is increased, it allows players to experience the world and see the many people and creatures filling Ecclesia. Giant monsters roam, hungry for food and bandit camps may rise into black market downs before the players eyes. The world of Heroes is anything but static and even towns may be destroyed and rebuilt over the course of months.

Deep politics.
Setting itself apart from its rivals, Heroes has no initially government. All cities and NPCs will be governed by players. Players will constantly struggle over land and resources and must protect the people living on these lands so they can gain the resources to build their vast armies. Backstabbing, wars and alliances will become the language of Heroes end game and players will find the pen is sometimes mightier then the sword as politicians do battle in one another's courts. Players will soon find that their speech will have other uses, in the battle of will they will find. From this, a truly immersive world, filled with endless emergent, procedural stories can come forth, like Dwarf Fortress and other games.

Who are you?

We're Ganky Kong Games. An amateur team, but lovers of true MMOs. With a combined industry experience of 10 years, we bring unrivaled experience in concept writing, scenario planning, and adventure crafting.

What can I do?

Heroes needs money. It's as simple as that. Donate to our kickstarter now and see the game gamers truly want made.

Kickstarter

Official Ganky Kong website

goldmine

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

How have nerds not learned that only a tiny unprofitable minority of mmo players want open pvp and permadeath?

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
sounds great op, if you're looking for a social media coordinator hit me up.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

Here's a video recently uploaded to the Kickstarter showing some pre-alpha gameplay.
(Click for vid)

The game has come a long way but I think it's shaping up to be a monster.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Nice, I'll start the wiki. Would anyone like to donate to help out?

It's definitely going to server funds and not warlord tier packs for myself and my friends.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Whats up with the guy in the top left of that group pic?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Great video, looks like I'll still give it a chance. When are you going to implement punching with both fists though? As a left-handed gamer it really ruins my immersion when I can only punch with my right hand.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

Martman posted:

Great video, looks like I'll still give it a chance. When are you going to implement punching with both fists though? As a left-handed gamer it really ruins my immersion when I can only punch with my right hand.

Good point, I don't think the devs considered this. While I'm at it, they should add color blind options too.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Will the game support dvorak natively?

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Will the game support dvorak natively?

Not initially, although they are working on a Mac version for post-launch.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
This is satire, right? I honestly can't tell anymore.

Yes, this is satire. My sanity is saved. Don't drink and post kids.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

SweetBro posted:

This is satire, right? I honestly can't tell anymore.

Yes, this is satire. My sanity is saved. Don't drink and post kids.
The game has some satirical elements, sure, but I'm not sure it can be pinned down so easily.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Console release? :pray:

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

when are we gonna find out how much the lifetime sub costs

Kettlepip
Jun 23, 2009

Space Bat posted:

Here's a video recently uploaded to the Kickstarter showing some pre-alpha gameplay.
(Click for vid)

The game has come a long way but I think it's shaping up to be a monster.

Looks just like Darkfall. Very promising.

Proposition Castle
Aug 9, 2004
Witty message goes here.

Martman posted:

This is exactly the kind of discrimination we have faced in the video game industry for years. If the developers can't guarantee my toon's cock will have a curve to match his dominant jack-hand I'm cancelling my kickstarter contribution. It really is all about ethics in dong curvature.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

Proposition Castle posted:

This is exactly the kind of discrimination we have faced in the video game industry for years. If the developers can't guarantee my toon's cock will have a curve to match his dominant jack-hand I'm cancelling my kickstarter contribution. It really is all about ethics in dong curvature.

While I can't confirm the game will have nudity, I believe the developers are working over time to make sure all audiences are feeling included. They're Swedish after all.

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof
Is that skill tooltip in loving comic sans

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Important question that I don't see addressed yet, how many dances have you motion captured? How many more will you motion capture? And of course, how many dances were invented strictly for this game? Thanks and keep up the hard work!

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
there had better be sick dances ripped from the freshest popular culture. i won't be satisfied until i see some harlem shakes and gangnam style previews

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

Velthice posted:

there had better be sick dances ripped from the freshest popular culture. i won't be satisfied until i see some harlem shakes and gangnam style previews

Here's a sneak peek from the most recent mocap session ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED4CX8GQe5Y

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

New content! Special thanks to permabanned user Captain Failcon for making me aware of this recent podcast about Ecclesia!
http://puu.sh/mfwmp/cc4e97b4a8.mp3

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Let's not lie though. Over half the people here would play it if it existed.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

randombattle posted:

Let's not lie though. Over half the people here would play it if it existed.

Would you say........you're wallet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
why is that one tguy in the developer pic holding a ghost orb

• Locked thread