Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Kith posted:

the usual D&D dogpile aside all irony needs to do is apologize and also never do that poo poo again. easy as

___________________________/

(e: the joke is that you are doing both of those things at this very moment, which i am explaining because i do not trust that to be apparent)

I actually meant to hit the report button not the quote button. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I actually meant to hit the report button not the quote button. :sigh:

im going to laugh at you now

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

It'd probably be good to get back on topic. State Dept. as expected is looking into it or whatever. They'll circle back on this at the next standup for sure.

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1782573217967673753

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/WOLPalestine/status/1782570510657769799

https://twitter.com/jenniferjjacobs/status/1782489572657492239

Apparently, students at other universities are also protesting with sit-ins or camping. Crazy that this is the response to what has largely been a peaceful protest

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Crazy? Where've you been the last 20 years

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
The complete and utter erasure of anti-zionist jews from the protests and even the narrative is just chilling.

I saw more of them during the cring video of the woman with the 'jew' t-shirt today, posting how unsafe she felt at a campus protest (while hundreds of supposedly murderously anti-semitic people around her barely took notice) and a group with a Jews-for-Free-Palestine sign could be seen for a couple of seconds in the background.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Sephyr posted:

The complete and utter erasure of anti-zionist jews from the protests and even the narrative is just chilling.

I saw more of them during the cring video of the woman with the 'jew' t-shirt today, posting how unsafe she felt at a campus protest (while hundreds of supposedly murderously anti-semitic people around her barely took notice) and a group with a Jews-for-Free-Palestine sign could be seen for a couple of seconds in the background.

https://twitter.com/BesDMarx/status/1782496936173441434

You talking about this one, right?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
That one, yes.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

HazCat posted:

Obviously not an ideal solution if your preference is a slower-paced thread, but if this thread closes you can at least use it as a stop-gap measure to avoid having to watch mainstream media or unfiltered online media.
Never thought I’d say it about a D&D thread but it’s been genuinely helpful.

I can’t avoid the brain breaking brutality of it all, but I can at least handle it better. Well, at least the existence of it. The minimizing, denial and justification is still something I need to figure out how to contend with, even though logically, no one should have to simply deal with any of this.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Nonsense posted:

https://twitter.com/mehdirhasan/status/1782470614512542119

I agree with this assessment, and rando gently caress heads on twitter and in media trying to sic the national guard on these kids are evil.

yes, and also never underestimate the extent to which hyperventilating idiots have vibes based priorities

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Iamgoofball posted:

Please stop telling people to post SAD threads, SAD's moderation has made it very clear they do not want people to complain about D&D moderation in SAD.

You can contact the mod who made him IK. I'm sure that will be just as productive.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Marenghi posted:

You can contact the mod who made him IK. I'm sure that will be just as productive.

You can also wait until the D&D feedback thread opens for two hours the next time the omens are right and Mars is in conjunction with Uranus.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Quantum Cat posted:

Honestly we are belabouring this too much, Irony just be a normal human being and not a DnD poster about it for half a second and cop to a hastey probe and apologize. Nothing about this is complicated. If Irony could do that I don't see why the rest of us can't also be normal people about it and move on.
Correct.

It's truly hilarious how fast these derails would end if mods would just say "oops sorry" when they make a mistake instead of doubling down with threats and punishment to get back on topic. It would make their role so much easier but they won't do it.

Not to mention the improved goodwill, trust, etc

Or if there were a feedback thread people could go instead of PMs (ignored) or SAD (stop bothering us about D&D, thread closed)

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Apr 23, 2024

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah but imagine the kind of mind that willingly agrees to be an IK in I/P, while being a completely partisan poster in that same thread, and then try to imagine them doing anything like a normal human being

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
We’ve seen your feedback. If you have any additional comments, feel free to send me a PM. Please let the thread get back to its regularly scheduled programming.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Apr 23, 2024

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Will there be an answer to any of the feedback, and how will it be communicated? In this thread, in individual PMs to everyone who commented, in a new thread to avoid derailing this one again, or in the quasi-quarterly feedback thread if it isn't forgotten?

Or am I misinterpreting your response and this is a "you had your say now shut up and forget about it" note

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

Will there be an answer to any of the feedback, and how will it be communicated?

*awkward pause* We don't do that here

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

VitalSigns posted:

Will there be an answer to any of the feedback, and how will it be communicated?

Posting in bad faith, posting about posters, user has been banned.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Sephyr posted:

don't remember which article this clip is from (its from months ago), but yes

:thunk:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Exactly what discussion is possible when you can be ejected for appearing to be unfair to American media?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

moths posted:

Exactly what discussion is possible when you can be ejected for appearing to be unfair to American media?

Discussion that is only deferential to and unquestioning of American media, as desired.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Nebalebadingdong posted:

https://twitter.com/jakemgrumbach/status/1782525218621407349

A Jewish peer making others uncomfortable by being anti-genocide, pro-Palestine

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
How does someone protest against what Israel the country is doing without being labeled antisemitic? Like I think it's perfectly reasonable to assume someone parading around with a Russian flag these days is in support of what their country is doing to Ukraine, and I think it's perfectly reasonable to call that person out on it. But because the flag they are parading is an Israeli flag, calling them out for being in support of their government makes people antisemitic?

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Anti-zionist Jews have been completely erased from the narrative about protests against the genocide in Gaza inspite of them making up a very large chunk of the people getting arrested for protesting (or perhaps especially because of this).

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

How does someone protest against what Israel the country is doing without being labeled antisemitic? Like I think it's perfectly reasonable to assume someone parading around with a Russian flag these days is in support of what their country is doing to Ukraine, and I think it's perfectly reasonable to call that person out on it. But because the flag they are parading is an Israeli flag, calling them out for being in support of their government makes people antisemitic?

You don't avoid it. You get labeled antisemitic.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

Boris Galerkin posted:

You can't, because Zionists will smear any criticism of Israel's repugnant conduct and ongoing genocide as anti-Semitism. It is an accusation that is almost always used in bad faith in this context. For an example look at the ongoing media discourse about supposedly rampant "anti-Semitism" (protests against Israel's genocide) on US college campuses.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Pro-Israel people have always used accusations of antisemitism to try to discredit criticism of Israel. It doesn’t seem to be working anymore, with public approval of Israel in America still steadily declining during Israel’s genocide.

Which does make fear that in failing to discredit criticism of Israel, they discredit accusations of antisemitism generally.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
yeah, i'm on the board at my synagogue but i'd be considered a kapo or some poo poo by right wing jews and them's the breaks. chag sameach. hope the freedom flotilla makes it over there safely.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

deadking posted:

You can't, because Zionists will smear any criticism of Israel's repugnant conduct and ongoing genocide as anti-Semitism. It is an accusation that is almost always used in bad faith in this context. For an example look at the ongoing media discourse about supposedly rampant "anti-Semitism" (protests against Israel's genocide) on US college campuses.

Yeah my question was in context of the current media discourse in the U.S. It seems like all of these protests and sit ins and what have you are just automatically labeled as antisemitism?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yeah my question was in context of the current media discourse in the U.S. It seems like all of these protests and sit ins and what have you are just automatically labeled as antisemitism?

it's the same poo poo we went through with Iraq where any criticism got labelled as traitorous anti-american talk, but now it's extra spicy because the warhawks get to conflate the peace movement with Adolph Hitler.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Gripweed posted:

Which does make fear that in failing to discredit criticism of Israel, they discredit accusations of antisemitism generally.

they know, and they don't care

Alan Dershowitz is currently penning thinkpieces about how peace protests are more terrifying than the actual Charlottesville nazi rally, and Bibi famously is more than happy to pal around with white supremacists because he and they are ideologically aligned. They do not have any issue with actual anti-Semitism, they just like the term as a cudgel against anyone who opposes them, because the credulous/complicit will not push back or ask follow-up questions.

there's no real winning move, you just gotta accept that you'll get labeled and tell anyone who argues in bad faith to gently caress off. Whatever that does to screen actual nazis is on them.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Israel/Zionism has always excelled at getting their narrative out first; it was a genuine blindside when they suddenly started attacking Feminist organizations in tandem with the release of the debunked NYT article Screams Without Words, as an example. They're good at shoving out a message ASAP.

This is effective if the audience is getting their news from a source that isn't going to display anything that would challenge it (Television, Newspapers), but obviously falls apart in a catastrophic way if they're getting their news from a more publicly abrogable source (Twitter, TikTok, Online websites, Forums). Which we're seeing play out in the growing chasm of support for Israel between ages under-40 and over-40.

Like, anyone using Twitter is going to hear about the "antisemitic Jew-hating campus pogroms", but they're also going to see this:

https://twitter.com/simonerzim/status/1782606749205180869
https://twitter.com/simonerzim/status/1781543520089583959
https://twitter.com/ShaiDavidai/status/1781382612046463248

Which is only going to make younger generations more distrustful of traditional news sources.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Neurolimal posted:

Israel/Zionism has always excelled at getting their narrative out first; it was a genuine blindside when they suddenly started attacking Feminist organizations in tandem with the release of the debunked NYT article Screams Without Words, as an example. They're good at shoving out a message ASAP.

This is effective if the audience is getting their news from a source that isn't going to display anything that would challenge it (Television, Newspapers), but obviously falls apart in a catastrophic way if they're getting their news from a more publicly abrogable source (Twitter, TikTok, Online websites, Forums). Which we're seeing play out in the growing chasm of support for Israel between ages under-40 and over-40.

Like, anyone using Twitter is going to hear about the "antisemitic Jew-hating campus pogroms", but they're also going to see this:

https://twitter.com/simonerzim/status/1782606749205180869
https://twitter.com/simonerzim/status/1781543520089583959
https://twitter.com/ShaiDavidai/status/1781382612046463248

Which is only going to make younger generations more distrustful of traditional news sources.

Not that it's anything new but poisoning that well is certainly disastrous for keeping people from falling into disinfo, rage bait, and conspiratorial thinking. You know, the same things that drive people into the arms of actual anti-Semitic hate groups, elder protocols of Zion poo poo. Seeding misery for Jews in general to serve the interests of genocide, it's utterly repulsive.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Professor Beetus posted:

Not that it's anything new but poisoning that well is certainly disastrous for keeping people from falling into disinfo, rage bait, and conspiratorial thinking. You know, the same things that drive people into the arms of actual anti-Semitic hate groups, elder protocols of Zion poo poo. Seeding misery for Jews in general to serve the interests of genocide, it's utterly repulsive.

FYI that is a loaded term to use

quote:

Additionally, well poisoning was one of the three gravest antisemitic accusations made against Jews during the pre-modern period (the other two being host desecration and blood libel)

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

mawarannahr posted:

Ironically, the Haganah intentionally poisoned wells during the Nakba. In fact Ben Gurion himself seems to have participated.

quote:

...the excerpts from the diary of the man who would become Israel’s first prime minister are traces of his involvement in a secret operation to poison the drinking water of Arab communities during the War of Independence.

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...c7-fefed64d0000

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

mawarannahr posted:

poo poo, thanks for pointing that out, I had no idea. It's putting poo poo in the sandwich I guess, p much same concept.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Professor Beetus posted:

poo poo, thanks for pointing that out, I had no idea. It's putting poo poo in the sandwich I guess, p much same concept.

It's sadly unavoidable to be called antisemitic when criticizing Israel. I think it's worth not giving ammunition or invoking a trope that is demeaning to all Jewish people. There is a lot of antisemitism embedded in English (probably most European languages?) so it's easy to do so accidentally.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

punishedkissinger posted:

Ironically, the Haganah intentionally poisoned wells during the Nakba. In fact Ben Gurion himself seems to have participated.

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...c7-fefed64d0000

Israel can just do anti-semetic tropes and then when they get accused of them they can call them libelous anti-semetic tropes

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Gripweed posted:

Pro-Israel people have always used accusations of antisemitism to try to discredit criticism of Israel. It doesn’t seem to be working anymore, with public approval of Israel in America still steadily declining during Israel’s genocide.

It's a win-win when it comes to justifying Zionism and antisemitism both, both narrative exceptionalize jews as a uniquely "apart" and inherently more powerful group that can only be "safe" when confined to a nation state of their own, and the only fundamental disagreement is if Jews are "good" or "bad." The conflation of Israel and all Jews also lets non-Jewish Zionists have their cake and eat it too, they can openly support the colonial and military project of Israel while demonizing Jews in their own country as traitors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Aren't Jewish diaspora seen as expendable to Zionists anyway? I distinctly recall and article about Israeli society largely having a dim view of non-Israeli Jews.