Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Lady Morgaga posted:

I did not call those settlers sane nor reasonable. Stabbing a picture though is very low on the list of things I get outraged about. Actual murders are somewhat higher.

Yeah like that family that got burned to death, which they were celebrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Condemning these people for celebrating a murder? You have some nerve considering some Palestinians who have nothing to do with it are also murders why aren't you condemning them? - an idiot.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Maoist Pussy posted:

Perhaps, but in practical terms only one nationality can possess the land between Lebanon and Egypt. There will be peace when everyone comes to that realization.

Why?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Maoist Pussy posted:

A two-state solution isn't possible because a nation founded for the purpose of being the Jewish state and an ethnic group defined in opposition to the existence of that state are not going to coexist, and because nobody wants weird little microenclaves all over the place, and because all sorts of other reasons that make it ridiculously impractical and undesirable.

A sovereign Israel is going to exist unless the US pulls its support. That is all.

What's preventing a two state solution? What microenclaves and how were they formed?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

eSports Chaebol posted:

Anyone who denies Palestinian war crimes is an anti-Semite. Anyone who admits that Palestinians commit war crimes is a well-disciplined anti-Semite.

Wait, how can I not be an anti-semite then?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

FlamingLiberal posted:

The United Methodist Church is divesting from five Israeli banks because they do not meet the human rights standards the church has established in dealing with certain financial institutions.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/13/w...v=top-news&_r=0

It appears that at least one of these banks finances illegal settlement construction in the West Bank.

Isn't that illegal? I remember reading somewhere that boycotting Israel was a crime.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

The Insect Court posted:

I changed my mind. Khalidi's work has some glaringly obvious biases and flaws, as well as some real head scratchers(gay rights are an insidious western plot, etc.) but he's a serious scholar. Recommending Norman Finkelstein to someone who wants to obtain a basic grounding in the history of the I/P conflict is like telling someone interested in the history of Reconstruction to just watch Birth of a Nation a few times. It's difficult to believe that even a fanatic thinks it's a sensible, unbiased look at the issue. If you're going to recommend a polemic in an attempt to proselytize, you should have the honesty to say that's what you're doing.

But I should be encouraged the recommendations weren't just electronic intifada and Institute for Historical Review links. I suppose that's an improvement, of sorts.

Is it possible this is as stupid as it appears to be? Do you understand that the title of the book is not an endorsement of the idea that Jews were simply 'righteous victims' in 1947? Your posts have all been useless one-liners which indicate a more than usually complete ignorance of the subject, so I worry it is.

What's does birth of a nation and norman finkelstein's book have in common?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Nevvy Z posted:

This guy is hilarious. Jews have been victimized in the past therefore anything terrible they do now is justified because in the long historical run jews will have been treated worse.

gently caress Benny Morris.

I refuse to believe that someone would write a book saying this, it's something a child would think up.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Tic doesn't like that other groups of people live in Israel and blames them for the injustices his people carry out to get them to leave, shocking.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
How much work would it be to replace all the Palestinians with Jews and Jewish state with third Reich in that book? I can see many good things coming from doing that.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

hakimashou posted:

The Jews just have better reasons for doing it than most people.
No they don't.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

hakimashou posted:

So, now so they finally think it was worth it to have shot all those rockets?

At what point will the thing happen that makes all the rockets and tunnels and stuff worth it?

I don't see how ruining crops for farmers hurts the people that shot the rockets. Can you explain? Personally, I don't see any reason to do that if your goal is to stop rocket attacks.

drilldo squirt fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jan 31, 2016

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Cat Mattress posted:

Yes, they do. They are God's chosen people, and God has tasked them with eradicating every other nation on Earth, sparing not the women, not the children, not the cattle. (A cow that belongs to a Palestinian is also part of the Palestinian hivemind.)

As you know, it is always valid and acceptable to murder people in the name of God. Massacring an entire town's population because they are not the same religion as you is a Just and Worthy thing to do.

I'm pretty sure Israel doesn't plan on eradicating every other nation on earth, friend.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Bibi maybe, but that dude is a nutter.

edit: I just realized that I was talking about Netanyahu.

drilldo squirt fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 31, 2016

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
I know, it was a joke, but I''m still pissed he and the republicans had the gall to pull that congressional speech fiasco.

drilldo squirt fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 31, 2016

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

hakimashou posted:

Well, the American reason was that there was some land and we wanted it so we could have more land.

The Jews' reason was that after suffering centuries of oppression and persecution and murder and narrowly escaping being deliberately and systematically exterminated by the people who wrote the international laws and stuff you talk about, they had a chance to claim a little bit of land for themselves, land their ancient forebears had been driven from, and to build for themselves an unassailable fortress there where for the first time in ten or more centuries their people could be sure of their safety.

I can see how if you ignore all the specifics you might think America and Israel had the same reasons, or that Israel's reasons are worse than America's, but I can't see any other way.

I disagree with your postulation that suffering centuries of oppression and persecution makes it ok for you to commit those same acts on the people that were living where ancient Israel used to be. Furthermore, at the time of manifest destiny society operated by different rules that we now see as barbaric, linking the two events is a mistake in my opinion. This all comes off as a justification for doing something you already want to do, and it's obviously something you know is wrong.

drilldo squirt fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jan 31, 2016

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

hakimashou posted:

I don't know the rationale, but it would make sense to render certain areas where you had established a buffer or "no go" zone useless for farming so you could prevent farmers from using it.

With farmers having no reason to be there, you'd reduce the number of plausible and legitimate reasons for anyone to be there, and that would make it more likely that people who were there had some nefarious purpose.

So, say the Gazans start firing rockets again, and you decide to start enforcing your buffer zone aggressively, and firing on people who enter it, you're less likely to be firing at noncombatants like farmers, since farmers wouldn't be there anymore since you'd rendered the area unsuitable for farming.

The idea, I imagine, is to cause the area to be unsuitable for any use that might otherwise entice people to enter it and take their chances. This means in the event hostilities resume, there isn't a noncombatant population for malefactors to hide amongst or martyr for publicity.

Then why did they wait till now, also, how did that farmland end up in a no go zone?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

hakimashou posted:

So, now so they finally think it was worth it to have shot all those rockets?

At what point will the thing happen that makes all the rockets and tunnels and stuff worth it?

Just a reminder of what you said, it makes me think you are not being honest with why you think they poisoned all those crops.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

hakimashou posted:

Well, for one thing, narrowly avoiding extermination and suffering all that horror for so long might cause people to belive, after having lost so many friends and loved ones, "this proves that it really is us or them and we can be sure our very survival is really at stake."

In which case it's hard to blame people for choosing "us" over "them."

I think you'll find a lot of people, when it comes down to it, would rather do something that might be wrong than die and have their friends and family and all their people die too.

I mean, it's bad to do things that are wrong, but it's worse to be exterminated, and if the Jewish experience with Europeans taught them anything, it's that extermination is a real thing that is actually done to them and not just an idea or abstraction.

So you fully admit what israel is doing is wrong but it's ok because other people did it to us? I personally don't see what imminent threat the state of Israel is currently under. Nor do I see how the suffering of the whole Jewish people makes it OK for the state of Israel to act like this.

drilldo squirt fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 31, 2016

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

hakimashou posted:

Really?

See, I figure there is a connection between the rocket and tunnel attacks and Israel and Gaza becoming more suspicious of each other and less trusting and less willing to give the benefit of the doubt.

Say that during the summer of rockets things had gone differently, that instead of attacking Israel, Gazans had chosen to disarm and take action to be less of a threat rather than more of a threat.

Do you see, drilldo squirt, how making that choice might have made Israel less inclined rather than more inclined to do things like aggressively assert buffer zones along the border?

I do, but only if we were talking about a mean child instead of a modern nation state.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

hakimashou posted:

I don't think anyone would permit it, least of all the Israelis or the USA, especially after 9/11.

What sympathy people that matter might have once had for Jihad groups and "Islamic Resistance" was crashed into skyscrapers in New York, and then more recently locked in cages and set on fire, or drowned, or decapitated in Syria and Iraq.

You're basically saying yeah it would be justified but what can they do about it. You're an incredibly awful person.

drilldo squirt fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 31, 2016

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

hakimashou posted:

Israel could annihilate Gazans and finely divide all the man made material in the Gaza Strip in a week or two if they were trying to exterminate the Gazans.

I think you might before repeating something like that think on the actual holocaust and what was done to people, and why.

If they did that their would be massive political backlash as the west would no longer be able to ignore it, I'm betting that's why they haven't done it yet and not because they aren't trying.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

hakimashou posted:

They're just pure evil eh?

Who's they? I do believe the government of Israel wants to make a Jewish state that includes Gaza and the west bank, and I think the methods they are using that you have described are morally wrong.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

DrProsek posted:

So your answer to the previous question is that yes, you'd be totally comfortable with Hamas ethnically cleansing Israel so long as they have the military capacity to do it?

That's messed up, but I guess the dude is a huge anti semite.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Ultramega posted:

I just want to remind everyone they're arguing with a guy who put forth the totally uncontroversial opinion that the united states should have wiped the USSR off the map with nuclear weapons after the end of WW2. Just saying.

He's probably pulling your chain, y'all

I think he's totally serious actually, he's just an awful person.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Ultramega posted:

Lol at this whole page honestly.

I don't know what hakimashou, and similar posters get out of posting in this thread. Is it just that general SA phenomenon of people who just post because they thrive off negative attention? If you want that there's plenty to be had on facebook.

Conversely what does that say about people who probably know these people are shitheels and they post anyway? Not worth it. To the point, concerning the overall general situation in israel, and the occupied territories it doesn't matter one iota what main paineframe or the insect court think about what should be done. At least the posters similar to the former (which is to say the majority), are at least consistent in their condemnation of war crimes and atrocities regardless of which state did them which I don't really think can be applied to the 2 or 3 loudmouths who post here and make this thread into a pissing contest.

It's funny?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

The Insect Court posted:

Wow, the mask slips. I was expecting you to backpedal, not dive right in. You sure you want to wave around some out of context bits of scripture as proof for your "Jews are bloodthirsty killers" thesis?

I think it's incredibly telling that all you do is look for reasons to call people who disagree with you antisemitic. It's god drat obvious what cat mattress is doing but you want to be able to dismiss actual arguments made in this thread so you focus on him.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

MonsieurChoc posted:

The Jewish people really deserve better than Israel.

Edit: it's the mean punchline to a terrible joke. Your people suffer for centuries and then you can see a large portion of them become everything you've fought against. It's loving tragic.

That time when they sent those Ethiopian Jews to camps and started giving them birth control without telling them was possibly the most ironic situation in history.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

emanresu tnuocca posted:

A piece on +972 on Im Tirzu and the ultimate goal of their current camapign: http://972mag.com/how-im-tirzu-dominates-israels-public-debate/116498/

Hey, I mean, you said 'birth control' instead of using a variation of 'sterilization' but then you said 'camps' so... good effort all in all.

I don't know what your getting at, but they did do that and it's never not going to be funny.

Edit: personally saying sterilization is funnier but this is a serious forum for debating things.

drilldo squirt fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 1, 2016

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Oh yes, Israel facilitating the immigration of a hundred thousand ethiopian jews into the country and then housing them temporarily in trailer parks before it could find them permanent residence is the most hilarious and racist thing ever. It will never be not funny because a minority of them were administered temporary contraceptives. You can practically cut through the irony with a butter knife, it was auschwitz all over again but no one says anything about it because Jews.

They didn't tell them it was contraceptives and they did it intentionally to only this one group of Jews who, if I remember right, had trouble being recognized as Jews in the first place. What they did is indefensible.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

The Insect Court posted:

Ah, I see. It's funny, ironic anti-semitism. He's parodying hakimashou. By making a completely different sort of argument(the classically antisemitic one) instead of hakimashou's(the sociopathic "realist" one).

What reactionary extremist Likudnik scum is he parodying in the post below, where he repeats the "Jews are bloodthirsty fanatics commanded by their god to slaughter non-Jews" 'joke'? Let's take a look....

Oh. It's in response to this one:

The reason C.M. keeps saying this stuff is because he believes it.

I don't care who you think is antisemitic and probably no one else does either. But let's talk about what you think of hakimashou's position. Do you agree with it?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Main Paineframe posted:

You keep saying "they", "they", "they", but who do you mean by that? Because "they" certainly wasn't the Israeli government (this is why details and specifics are important).

I did mean the Israeli government. I could be wrong though, it could be a part of the Israeli government.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
I could be wrong but Forbes says I wasn't. http://www.forbes.com/sites/eliseknutsen/2013/01/28/israel-foribly-injected-african-immigrant-women-with-birth-control/#6e2f32bb2880

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Main Paineframe posted:

That article, put simply, is poo poo. Though it has plenty of company - because the allegations are so shocking and also the Israel connection, stories quickly shed important details and context as reporters rush to restate the headline and clickbait it up, and failure to appreciate context causes many aspects of it to be misunderstood.

The shots were given by health clinics run by the American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee, an American charitable NGO which is not under the control of the Israeli government. The Israeli Health Ministry and other government agencies had no direct control over what happened in the transit camps, which were run by the JDC. And the guy who was directly in charge of those clinics is super good, I can't imagine him being racist against Ethiopians. It's likely that there was no organized, official policy, and that the problem was a result of individual bad actors that the system was not sufficiently monitored to catch.

Do you have anything I can read about this?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Main Paineframe posted:

Unfortunately, I don't have anything specific - the original Haa'retz article is behind a membership wall, and most other English-language reporting about it is sensationalist bullshit. I'll try to write something up, though.

For an Ethiopian Jew who wants to immigrate to Israel, you'll first end up in a transit camp, run by the American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee, a Zionist-leaning American NGO and charity that provides humanitarian assistance all over the world...and also directly supports organized immigration to Israel, among other things. These camps are, to some degree, officially sanctioned by Israel, but they're run exclusively by NGOs like the JDC and the Israeli government has no direct say in how they're run. The exact details of the relationship are a bit confusing - suffice it to say that Israel has very close ties to NGOs like the JDC, and these NGOs directly support and work with various Israeli projects like this, but they're still independent and not subject to direct Israeli control. Now, at these transit camps, various services are provided to the Ethiopians awaiting their ticket to Israel in order to prepare them for life in a Westernized first-world country and provide them services that they might not have been able to access or afford before. One of these services is healthcare; the JDC camps in Ethiopia provide free or low-cost healthcare, including vaccinations and family planning services. There's also education involved, since access to those things may not have been available to them.

The Depo-Provera incident boils down to two major factors: first, some of the Ethiopians living in the transit camps were bullied, intimidated, or outright deceived into receiving Depo-Provera shots. Second, after they traveled to Israel and got regular Israeli doctors there, those regular doctors continued to administer Depo-Provera shots to those Ethiopians without realizing that they didn't want the shots and may not have even known about them. Neither one can directly be attributed to any policy of the Israeli government, although there were clearly some major failures of oversight.

The shots in the transit camps would directly be the fault of the JDC's clinics. Typically, we'd blame the JDC as an organization, but there's a problem with that - the Medical Director of the Ethiopia efforts, who's in overall charge of these clinics, is an incredibly good person who has been doing charity medical work in Africa (primarily Ethiopia) for two and a half decades and has personally adopted a number of Ethiopian children, mostly orphans or kids with life-threatening diseases. I find it incredibly hard to believe that he would be pushing a policy of ethnic cleansing against Ethiopians. Some have blamed government pressure - it's known that the Israeli Health Ministry at one point congratulated the JDC family planning program for the number of Ethiopian women they had gotten on birth control, and this is often put forth as proof of bad intentions - but there's no evidence that there was any intention to force people onto birth control. After all, the point of a family planning program is to basically get people on birth control - and as long as they're willingly and knowingly choosing it without any coercion, there's nothing wrong with that. And, again, I have a very hard time believing that Dr. Hodes would be complicit in an ethnic cleansing program, no matter who was pressuring him.

That just leaves individual doctors and nurses, or possibly even some mid-level manager pushing it without the higher-ups' knowledge. The intention may not have necessarily been ethnic cleansing - nurses are known to have complained about how hard it was to get Ethiopians to understand how birth control pills worked, and there seems to have been issues getting them to remember to take the pills every single day at the same time no matter what, and communication between the medical staff and the Ethiopians was generally difficult. As a result, a nurse was caught on camera saying that they prefer giving the Ethiopians Depo-Provera rather than other birth control so that they'd be less likely to screw it up. And if they're already in that mentality, it's not a huge leap to suggest that it's entirely possible that some of the health workers may have just said "gently caress it" and started giving shots "for their own good" without much caring whether the patients understood what was going on. Mind you, even if their intentions were entirely benign, it is still incredibly unethical to give someone a treatment of any kind without their informed consent or a pressing life-saving need, well-intentioned "they're too stupid to decide for themselves" paternalism is still racist as hell, and the fact that some people were apparently intimidated into getting the shots indicates that at least some of the people doing it had actively malicious intentions. But it probably wasn't outright ethnic cleansing, and it probably wasn't a sanctioned official policy by the organization - although the failure of either the JDC or the Israeli government to discover this serious misconduct over several years is still a problem for both organizations.

As for the shots being continued in Israel, that's a much simpler one to explain - Israeli doctors simply gave the Ethiopian migrants whatever their medical documentation from the transit camps said to give them. Their medical records said they were on Depo-Provera, so the doctors gave them more Depo-Provera. Thanks to the language barrier, the education difference, and possibly racism, they didn't really talk much with the Ethiopian migrants, and therefore never realized that the Ethiopians didn't know they were on birth control or didn't want to be on birth control. No malice here, and no governmental intervention either - just a depressing mixture of apathy and stupidity from individual actors. When the scandal blew up, the Health Ministry issued an advisory to Israeli doctors to make extra double sure that their Ethiopian patients know what they're being given and have willingly consented to whatever they're being given, rather than just trusting the papers, so that hopefully puts an end to the issue. Again, the Israeli government isn't entirely free of blame, since the fact that this was happening for so long is a sign that the requirements of education, availability of translators, and other important factors for integrating Ethiopian migrants into Israel are not being met. However, this end of it was also neither official government policy nor an organized effort toward ethnic cleansing.

Now, mind you, just because it wasn't an organized policy of ethnic cleansing doesn't mean that it wasn't a flagrant violation of medical and human ethics and a serious red flag about oversight in these organizations. But it's a far cry from what the headlines suggest.

This is really interesting, thanks. It's too bad their aren't any articles you could find though, I really would have liked to read about it. Like, what happened to the organization that was in charge of these camps and the doctors that were accused of the intimidation. The legal and political fallout of something like this must of been a big deal.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

team overhead smash posted:

This is good news, but the reason you won't see it changing people's negative opinion about Israel is because it doesn't represent a sea change in Israel's discriminatory legal treatment of Palestinians and Arabs. Singular instances of good policing and judging does not make the systematic issues disappear.

To be fair it seems like they are starting to crack down on it.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

captainblastum posted:

Are you ever going to address the questions that people have asked you repeatedly?

He's not.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

The Insect Court posted:

I INTENTIONALLY MISREPRESENT OTHER PEOPLE'S ARGUMENTS AND STRAWMAN LIKE IT'S GOING OUT OF STYLE, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ENGAGE ME AND MY DUMB loving OPINIONS

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Tic is either a troll or a hosed up weirdo, either way you might as well yell at a wall for all the good it's going to do you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Main Paineframe posted:

Stop getting trolled, you idiots. Besides, who here has any right to get their hackles up over vague insinuations of racism, considering how many of us have hurled that exact accusation at people in the I/P threads? Deflect it and move on. This entire page, so far, has been nothing more than people shitposting either at or (more often) about TIC. How about some content or discussion? And while I am happy to provide material to kick-start things, it doesn't mean much if everyone's going to ignore it because they're too busy hurling one-liners and abuse. Personally, I'm not too worried about anti-Semitism accusations from the kinds of people who write poo poo like this:

I got to most moral army in the world an my eyes glazed over.