Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Discendo Vox posted:

The use of the terms “resistance fighters” and “occupation army.” are in fact weighted language preferred by Hamas in their propaganda and as part of their framing. A clear indication of this is, as the article documents as part of its thesis, the shift to use of this language in other regional state media coverage over time and discusses the why and how of those shifts. You seem to have missed the fact that the article is making the same point as FlamingLiberal above, that Israel's response has facilitated this propaganda approach by encouraging regional states to share in it.

How would you discuss what is happening without any weighting? What is the an unweighted description, in your view, of Israeli soldiers in Gaza?

hooman fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

i fly airplanes posted:

Israeli soldiers in Gaza.

What distinguishes this from "American soldiers in Japan" or are they the same and should be presented as such?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

lmao I have a hole like that beneath my own house. These are normal, or should I be on the look out for hamas in and around Seattle?

A hole beneath your house is actually the criteria for being considered a member of Hamas.

I am sorry to hear about your new and extremely personally dangerous political affiliation.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
If a copy of Mein Kampf means holocaust 2, I'm going to have to seriously reassess my view of the old dear who works at the local public library.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Main Paineframe posted:

The US is not out there forcing Israel to commit genocide. Nor is it playing some absolutely vital role here where the genocide would be impossible without their help (unlike, say, Egypt, whose active cooperation in blockading Gaza's southern border has been crucial to Israel's starvation policies).

The US is accountable for supporting Israel despite its genocidal policies, but Israel was perfectly capable of genocide long before the US government started aiding it (and, indeed, was successfully carrying out this genocide for decades before the US government started giving it significant aid).

Nucleic Acids posted:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1759968055835173364

It should be noted that there is only one Arab nation (Algeria) on the Security Council right now.

Seems an awful lot like this current hot genocide wouldn't be continuing without US support.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Kalit posted:

It’s a non binding resolution. Israel would care as much about it as Russia has cared about the one passed calling on them to stop their invasion. Which is to ignore it and keep continuing on with their genocide

I know that it is non binding, but a resolution like that would create the space for embargos etc with justification just like we saw with Russia.

Israel, unlike Russia, doesn't have the industrial, resource or manpower base to continue their actions if similar embargoes were put in place, so US support is materially needed for the genocide to continue.

hooman fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 23, 2024

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Neurolimal posted:

It's positively insane, she lays this journey out like some sort of triumph of dogged determination & savvy investigation, unaware that it looks incredibly bad. We should honestly be grateful that Gettleman decided to help out some family friends, because if any actually professional investigative journalist had been on this thing, we absolutely wouldn't have first-hand testimony on how terrible the article is, and on the NYT's drive to make the article.

Holy loving poo poo, she just comes right out and says it all. Thank you for posting this.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

AlliedBiscuit posted:

Yeah, that was the part that REALLY made me pissed.

Unfortunately this person could probably gently caress with my career if I pissed them off. Too many mutual friends and colleagues. But I really want to have an actual honest discussion with them that I know won’t happen.

Point your leftist mutual friends at them.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I basically agree with everything you said but take issue with this specific term, which I've seen before and dislike.

The hateful ideology in Israel is Jewish supremacism - the idea that for one reason or another (might makes right, ethnonationalism, religious narrative, security narrative) Jews are entitled to occupy and govern the land in a way that other people aren't. In Israeli policy, rhetoric, and philosophy, the dividing line between core and margin is not Zionist/non-Zionist, it's Jewish/non-Jewish.

"Zionist supremacism" reads like someone wanted to say "Jewish supremacism" but felt queasy about it, so they swapped out "Jewish" for "Zionist." But it's a less accurate description of how the state and ideology function, because "Jewish" and "Zionist" obviously aren't equivalent.

I would personally feel queasy about saying Jewish supremacism because of how intentionally conflated anti-semitism and anti-zionism have been. I would also assume it's a way of expressing the same thing while trying to be clear that this isn't about Judaism but about the view within the supporters of the settler colonial project.

Thank you for drawing that distinction though about how Israeli rhetoric, policy and philosophy actually operate.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Kalit posted:

Stop making assumptions. I believe Biden would lie if there's enough benefit from it. Which this is far from.

From what evidence have you drawn this conclusion?

Because there is a track record of Biden saying things that are untrue for no apparent gain.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/08/31/biden-loves-retell-certain-stories-some-arent-credible/

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Thanqol posted:

Historically, the USA disenfranchised african-americans, and the United Kingdom had wealth-based voting requirements. These countries were both democracies despite large disenfranchised populations.

They weren't morally good, but they were definitely democracies. If you think that's a contradiction I think you have far too rosy a view of 'democracy' as a raw concept. Other concepts, like multiculturalism, universal suffrage, women's rights etc are critical components of a progressive modern society but democracy is fully capable of existing independently of them.

It is an interesting question because I don't know how much can you whittle down the voting members of a state while still calling it democratic.

Does anyone know what the minimum percentage with the right to vote would be for a state to count as a democracy?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

The Guardian posted:

The United Nations agency for Palestinian refugees, Unrwa, said on Sunday that Israel had definitively barred it from making aid deliveries in northern Gaza, where the threat of famine is highest.
Israel did not immediately respond on Sunday to AFP’s request for comment about Lazzarini’s statement. The Unrwa spokesperson, Juliette Touma, said the decision had been relayed in a meeting with Israeli military officials on Sunday. It followed two denials in writing for convoy deliveries to the north last week.
Touma said Israeli authorities on Sunday also rejected a UN request to send a team to Al-Shifa hospital in northern Gaza, where fighting has flared for almost a week, “to evacuate people who are injured”.

This seems to just formalise what has been happening in practice, since as the article notes no aid has gotten in to the North from UNRWA since 29th January. Still utterly appauling.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/mar/24/israel-reportedly-blocking-un-food-aid-to-northern-gaza-despite-high-famine-risk

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Goatse James Bond posted:

From a bit ago, sorry i wasnt here then:

The admins are often willing to hand out pm access if we ask precisely for this sort of reason but also there's an adminwide email address listed... somewhere.

A post stating that you are not advocating genocide in spite of what a probe reason says is not an unreasonable response from someone to clarify their position, otherwise you have no ability to refute accusations being dropped in probe reasons. The response to this in the thread which is about a genocide seems like the correct place to clarify your position on genocide. In the case of "strawman argument" this is less severe than it is calling someone a genocide advocate. Is there a non-rulebreaking way to openly clarify that you are not advocating genocide if you are accused of that by a mod?

Or are you asking to get multiple PMs saying "Please cite exactly where Quantumcat Advocated for Genocide. Also, advocating for genocide, per Koos, is not against the rules in D&D." which seems to be just creating work for yourself.

EDIT: Tried to link this content to the thread explicitly.
EDIT 2: vvv Thank you.

hooman fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 28, 2024

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Koos Group posted:

I believe sortition involves a random lottery element, so this wasn't that. And it wasn't so much about posters in this thread, but people elsewhere who might complain or make a SAD thread about it, which I thought would be entertaining if it occurred. And of course if he actually IKs in an overly politically biased way he'll simply be removed, as is the case with anyone.

Why would you act for the moderation of this thread to not to be about the people who use it? Isn't this exactly playing interforum drama games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Bar Ran Dun posted:

They could have stalled with words. That’s a lot cheaper and far less risky than doing this.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

They should have started on it sooner. January or February instead of March.

What do you think the US was doing between October and March?

Pressure was increasing because of the stalling with words and so they have changed to a more expensive and risky stalling tactic.