Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Can someone explain the similarities / differences between the BDS movement and the Palestinian Authority's boycott of products made beyond the green line? Differences / similarities in causes / aims?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Main Paineframe posted:

Original refugees and their descendants, per the internationally recognized definition of "refugee", obviously. It's never had any other meaning.
The internationally recognized standard of refugee status does not include "their descendants" when not dealing with the Palestinian diaspora, for some odd reason.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Dependents does not equal descendants, similar though the words are. Note how actual UN documents discussing the Sharawi refugees take great care to avoid anything along those lines.

At best, we're talking about a practical policy of "ok, people stuck in refugee camps are refugees". (Which is the reason why Arab nations make sure to keep their Palestinian population in refugee camps, so the everything is working exactly as intended)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

skeet decorator posted:

In this case it does, they explicitly spell it out :

quote:

Thus, a dependant member of a refugee family may be a national of the country of asylum or of another country, and may enjoy that country’s protection. To grant him refugee status in such circumstances would not be called for.

From which I still draw the conclusion that:

Xander77 posted:

At best, we're talking about a practical policy of "ok, people stuck in refugee camps are refugees".
It's not an in perpetua vagus situation, which is what "descendants" implies.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Can someone explain the similarities / differences between the BDS movement and the Palestinian Authority's boycott of products made beyond the green line? Differences / similarities in causes / aims?
Seriously though. I kinda need a basic breakdown of each / either, at least insofar as who initiated either and their stated goals.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

You're missing some quote marks for Merav, since the first part is a Bibi quote.

The weird part is that The Lover has been on the curriculum for decades now, and it features the same content.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

team overhead smash posted:

Her death accomplished nothing, no greater cause was served and it was completely futile. Israel is no closer to ending its occupation and her family is no closer to getting out of a refugee camp.
If only she actually managed to stab that Zionist occupier. What a shame.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

I've never seen the Communist victims of the Holocaust mentioned. Ever.
You've never lived in a communist country. There, for the longest time the death camps were presented as aimed specifically at (communist) political dissidents.

Kim Jong Il posted:

"A talkbacker"
For some ungodly reason, comments under online news articles are refered to as "talkbacks" (using the English loan-phrase) in Hebrew. They're even more poo poo than the regular run of the mill comments.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 22, 2016

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Herzog is an embarrassing footnote in Labor's history, comparing him to Sharon who was for all intents and purposes a force of nature in Israeli politics is laughable.
Was he? After his military blunders, he was a nobody for the longest time, until lucking out into control of the party at its very lowest.

I'd cue the relevant Hartzufim link here, but you know - the Israeli internet, memory holes, etc. It's still far easier to get clips of Spitting Image (a show that aired 5 years earlier and aged far more poorly) than one of the few genuinely popular and hard-hitting bits of Israeli satire.

Ytlaya posted:

There's also the fact that 5 million out of 11 million is a kind of big percent. He might have a point if 95% of those killed were Jewish, but the percent that wasn't Jewish is large enough that it's really hosed up to only specifically mention Jewish people when discussing the Holocaust.

Huh. Apparently that count includes Russian POWs and Poles, with everyone else generally brought up not quite making it to 7 digits. Odd. I was taught about the Holocaust in the USSR, and Soviet POWs were generally an entirely separate category. (As to Poles exterminated by the Nazis... who? What? They were only ever portrated as enthuisastic collaborators)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

delusional and provocative
Defiant. Which, you know... "Zeev, are we the baddies?" when people need to "defy" us.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

lol

I am shocked, just shocked that encouraging civilians to act as armed vigilantes and making active efforts to loosen gun regulations for that purpose led to collateral damage, injured innocents, and shooting the wrong person!

Soldiers. "Security forces" also refers to soldiers.

Edit - you know what a really goddamned pertinent question to bring into the I/P discussion? Gun control.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

"A very large percentage of stabbing attacks was stopped by armed bystanders shooting the attacker? Guess that's the success we're going to reinforce".

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Didn't we agree to copy paste stuff behind a subscriber gate? Or was the headline the only relevant part, and the link unnecessary?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

FreshlyShaven posted:

As to whether or not BDS is anti-semitic, of course not.
That seems like a nonsensical argument. Of course people directly concerned with the issue – Palestinians, black South Africans etc – are choosing the boycott as tactic in a struggle in which they are already engaged. But most of the people participating in the boycott, whose presence you mostly elide choose to participate based on a logic that is… fairly similar to "which cause is most worthy of my attention" or, in fact, "who are the worst people that I can boycott".

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I don't think that's actually how anyone thinks. It probably comes down more to the moral outrage of western governments (ie, the representatives of the boycotters) providing so much support to Israel. This also means that a change of policy from our own governments could have a huge effect on the situation, making it a cause that is more likely to succeed than boycotting some random rogue state that won't care.
What rogue state besides North Korea would not care about a US boycott? Where's the moral outrage about the support for China and Saudi Arabia?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Yes, an actual summary execution by a self-appointed executioner is fine but calling him a murderer in the media that's a step too far.
Anyone got a "here's the number of 'suspicious' unarmed Palestinians killed on a yearly basis that no one is going to jail for' report? Need it for facebook masterstroke purposes.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Just met a two-man "save the soldier" demonstration at the central bus station. Always interesting how these things devolve into "we're here to protect every jewish life and btw is you disagree we're not going to protect you - god bless and go die in Poland".

Should I post a cell phone photo or do you get the picture regardless?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Goddamn it Gabe. Three games worth of character development wasted, and you're back to being a douchebag. Grace really should have left you to die.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Two links of interest that aren't hidden behind a paywall:

We can rely on our youth. I wonder if there's some sort of a connection between those opinions that the writer openly supports, and those he has to pretend he disapproves of. Truly a mystery for the ages.

Can anyone tell me whether this (old) opinion piece about Israel supposedly working with ISIS makes sense?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

El'or Azaria, the executioner from Tel Rumeyda, has been officially indicted with manslaughter by the military prosecutor.
Don't you mean "that soldier, whose name we can't possibly know"?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

It's Holocaust Remembrance Day, so let's all have a moment of silence to remember some of the victims of the only genocide!
This is a loving joke by someone who likes to pretend he does not live in Israel. The Holocaust is trivialized here on a daily minute basis. Every parking ticket is a fresh Shoah, and every traffic cop is a capo.

(I think I might be stealing an Ephraim Kishon bit here, but I can't turn it up online. Pretty sure I got it from some early 2000's Yediot Aharonot think piece which really struck a chord)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Svartvit posted:

You can't just accuse someone of peddling conspiracy theory just because you don't agree with someone else's assessment of an event that is in no way resolved one way or another. Also stop using "the government says it is" as your only argument. At least contribute.
The supposed motive behind an intentional attack on a US ship is literally something between "vague nefarious Jewish plans" and "it was a way to improve Israel's diplomatic standing with the United States, somehow".

By the same reasoning, the US armed forces must be ruled by a murderous hatred of Commonwealth troops, as they've killed more of the latter than any other nation since the 1950's (yes, that includes the Falklands war). Seriously, hearing "friendly fire must be the result of intentional planning" from American soldiers is really loving ludicrous.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Ultramega posted:

This has started a thread derail hasn't it. I'm sorry. But, the evidence is a little more compelling than "vague nefarious jewish plans" and how does attacking US naval property improve diplomatic standing?
It doesn't. Hence why its given equal standing with "vague nefarious Jewish plans", obviously.

quote:

I'll try to dig up the relevant parts and PM them to you if you have that.
Don't.

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

:laffo: Liberman is gonna be the minister of defense. gently caress this dumb country.
Better than Justice, though that would be a bit too ironic even by Israeli standards.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 18, 2016

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Care to elucidate Xander77?
You keep asking me to do that. Do you, like, not know any other Russian speakers? Have a very specific fetish?

Far be it from me to kink-shame.

The literal Russian translation is "[back] to your hosed mother" which depending on context might mean "gently caress your mom", "got back to your mom, whom I just hosed" or "your mom who exists in such a singular state of fuckedness I don't even feel the need to specify". "Back to your mothers vagina" is an interpretation that I have not encountered in the past.

Of course, loan-phrases generally have only a tenuous connection to their original meaning. As a Russian speaker, the abbreviated Israeli version, which is pronounced differently, is not much more offensive than "go to hell", which is what it generally means in Hebrew parlance.

Hope that was an exhaustive and satisfying lecture on this very important subject.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 19, 2016

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Pope Guilty posted:

Isn't Avigdor Lieberman the guy whip had that line about African Jews not agreeing that Israel is for the white man or something to that effect?
Avigdor is the one who punched a twelve year old in the face.

"Israel is for the white man" is by Eli Yishai, a Shas representative. Shas, by the by, is the party who had a "we are the blacks of Israeli" election slogan. In 2004.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Kajeesus posted:

Who was it that wanted to solve the Gaza problem by setting up a handful of camps into which Gazans could be concentrated, without a shred of irony? It wasn't Lieberman, was it?
Avigdor is the former bouncer.

You're thinking of Friedman.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Would it be accurate to state that the Apartheid situation - a number of theoretically independent "bantustan" states under the actual control of a different state - is what the Israeli side was thinking of as a viable compromise / improvement during the peace talks?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

They're not, but the haredi tend to have disproportionate political influence for various reasons. In national politics, the non-haredi right-wing parties can't quite command a majority on their own, so in order to maintain control they need someone else in their coalition, and they'd rather deal with the haredi than left-wingers or Arabs. Since they're reliant on the haredi to maintain control over the government, the haredi are able to demand support for their policies (even though they make up a minority of the Knesset) in return for agreeing to back Likud on most other things.
Were there a lot of left-wing governments / coalitions that did not rely on the Haredim to maintain control?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

So your point limiting "can't quite command a majority on their own" to "non-haredi right-wing parties" was rubbish?

(Also, Shas isn't the only Haredi party. And you can count the number of coalitions that did not include a haredi party on the fingers of one hand. A horribly maimed hand, if you start after 76)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

So, just to be clear:

Every time an "alt right" character quotes from the Talmud on the subject of Gentiles, they're probably not making poo poo up?

Cat Mattress posted:

You probably should have used this link instead, it's in English.
http://www.daatemet.org.il/articles/article.cfm?article_id=119&lang=en
I could have sworn that was the one that I copy-pasted.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 16, 2016

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

It's paragraphs upon paragraphs by some Rabbi just to say "yeah it's ok to kill a gentile". Somehow I don't think this is mainstream.
Google some of those "some Rabbi"? Maimonides / Schulhan Aruch are as mainstream as it gets.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Hah. I was just about to wonder who's going to come along and post that :)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE82H_hqxsk

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

While the IDF top leadership officially disapproves of unnecessary shootings, there's also a definite policy of cover-ups and handling incidents quietly with slaps on the wrist to avoid them becoming public, and many lower commanders have demonstrated their willingness to back such shootings.
http://www.middleeasteye.net/columns/elor-azaria-and-case-killing-palestinians-962877267

ANIME AKBAR posted:

The Hamas Charter is irrelevant. It's like criticizing the US for originally having a lovely constitution that allowed slavery, etc.
You guys are still carping about "There were no such thing as Palestinians". Can you imagine if that was still in the Likud charter of whatever?

If said charter doesn't matter, then it should be revised. If it cannot be revised, then you can't blame people for assuming Hamas' present and future actions are / will be dictated by said charter. If it cannot be revised because said revision would infuriate the many Hamas members and Palestinian citizens who subscribe to what said charter says, well...

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

Are you equating the Hamas Charter to an article posted two days ago?
Great point, you disingenious jackass. I am absolutely defeated, as we all know that the Charter is obsolete, and the principles stated in it are not
http://www.memritv.org/clip_transcript/en/3257.htm

whoopsie daisy.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 30, 2016

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

So because there are people in Tunisia who are racist against Jews, the Zionist ethnic cleansing of Palestine is OK, or at least something that you can't really criticize consistently?
If by "people in Tunisia" you mean "people in Palestine", then... I'd look pretty goddamned stupid saying that. Good thing you can point to me making that claim outside your fevered imagination?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

Read the transcript you posted
http://www.memritv.org/clip/en/0/0/0/0/0/95/3247.htm

I could have used a crayon to clarify which sections are relevant and "who's saying what", but... ok, relying on this thread to be anything other than willfully dense was kinda stupid of me, I'll admit that.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Nevvy Z posted:

If your point is that the leader of Hamas doesn't like Israel very much... well... I'd say he's got his reasons.
My point is that

Cat Mattress posted:

some Hamas dude?
Is telling people that Hamas sticks by its principles - it is committed to liberating Space Ghost Palestine from coast to coast, and any talk to the contrary are an interim strategy.

Main Paineframe posted:

Why don't you put some effort in and explain it to us? I don't see a single instance of a Palestinian calling for the deaths of Jews in that heavily edited and pruned transcript. Put in some effort, rather than just linking to a vague, drawn-out quote from a source notorious for cherrypicking and misrepresenting and then expecting us to divine your specific argument from that.

So. Well, I could try clarifying things, just for you benefit, buuuuuuuuuuut.... It's a discussion that all took place on this very page. If you're too loving dense to follow my clearly stated arguments from:

Xander77 posted:

If said charter doesn't matter, then it should be revised. If it cannot be revised, then you can't blame people for assuming Hamas' present and future actions are / will be dictated by said charter. If it cannot be revised because said revision would infuriate the many Hamas members and Palestinian citizens who subscribe to what said charter says, well...

to:

Xander77 posted:

[Ismail Haniyeh] is telling people that Hamas sticks by its principles - it is committed to liberating Space Ghost Palestine from coast to coast, and any talk to the contrary is a mere interim strategy.

Then how would any clarification I could possibly make help you out?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 30, 2016

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

I think that the Hamas charter isn't totally irrelevant as it's continuing existence is an indication that although Hamas has become more accommodating to Israel over the years, it still contains enough hard-line elements that it can't get rid of it.
To me, knowing where Hamas actually stands is a good thing to... err... know, when it comes to efforts for peace in the area. Which... I wouldn't think would be all that controversial.

Apparently there are some to whom efforts to understand are just nefarious Jew-ey preparations for a genocide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

If you want to know where Hamas stands that's fine, but that's not what you're doing when you focus solely on a 30 year old document to the exclusion of all else.

By "exclusion of all else", you mean "citing the Hamas Prime Minister at the time" (Edit - "at the time" does not refer to 1988, just to be perfectly clear), then... sure.

I'm just wondering who you consider to be the non-hardliner elements in the Hamas, and what their position is on the liberation of Palestine.

Edit - Do you know how I know what Meretz or Labor or Hadash envision as a just and peaceful solution to the conflict? I listen to what they say.

I've listened to a number of Hamas "factions" and they all appear to envision the same ideal solution to the conflict - all of Palestine, coast to coast, liberated from the Zionist occupiers. Some, being less "hardline" are willing to accept that a limited autonomy or independence for certain areas of Palestine would be a good first step towards said ideal liberation.

I'm not unwilling to imagine that a truce based on said non-ideal solution could evolve into a lasting and fair peace. It's a possibility, probably. But if you're telling me that there are elements - or even a majority - within the Hamas who believe that sharing the land with Jews is the ideal solution they should aspire to, rather than a compromise or a temporary first step, you'd have to present some evidence that that is the case.

Because Meretz and Hadash, above, do in fact clearly state that sharing Israeli territory with the Palestinian people, whether in a single state or two-states agreement, is the ideal solution they are aspiring to.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 30, 2016