Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Civilized Fishbot posted:

It reminds me of when that Titanic tour submarine was lost, and many people pretended not to understand why it was getting more attention than much higher numbers of refugees drowning in the Mediterranean. What people are interested to discuss online isn't a good proxy for what they find morally outrageous.

Yeah maybe you're not seeing all the unilateral statements by politicians and celebs "the US/UK/whatever stands with Israel" followed by fist and Israeli flag emojis. They didn't do this when Palestinian kids are killed by the dozens. Not a good analogy IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Bholder posted:

They can't do poo poo against Russia, what could they do against Israel?

They will be very angry with them, and they will write a letter telling them how angry they are

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Marenghi posted:

Russia was more restrained in their war.

This is less a war, and more total destruction.

And Bibi says that destroying Hamas strongholds is "just the beginning" and a senior IDF official said not targeting civilians isn't so simple because any building where people are living, a "Hamas kingpin" could be there.

They're going to just keep murdering.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Brucolac posted:

Reg date October 9, 2023

and has only posted in this thread, at that

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Let's be clear, the Palestinians (including 1 loving million children) will not be starving to death.

They'll be dying of thirst much sooner than that.

3 days is how long you can live without water, the water was cut off around 3 days ago, I wonder how much potable water remains

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

mannerup posted:

a US Senator stating that 'we're in a religious war"

Does he stand with the dozens of Americans who were in Palestine (not hostages) at the time of this happening?

Just kidding, I know no, the state department won't even pretend they tried.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

The only power station in Gaza has run out of fuel so I don't think they have any way to filter the brackish water they can pump with the existing wells they have. It seems to me that Israel doesn't even need to go in for complete genocide, they just need to keep the water and power turned off for a week or two.

There are American citizens of Palestinian descent who were in Palestine, also, but the response from the US embassy to them has been "tough luck."

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

boar guy posted:

not sure how to respond to a Facebook friend and associate who posts every hour or two that he can't believe there's no outcry of justice for Israel and that 'your Jewish friends see this and will remember it, any marginalized group gets attacked and it's post after post but nothing for Israel?'

an I supposed to express pity for the apartheid state with it's boot on the neck of the snarling dog it's about to starve and shotgun to death? what do I tell this guy

Nothing, you're not going to change his mind. If he's not an actual good friend, unfriend him.

Just my opinion

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

"Maybe IDF was exaggerating, I don't give a gently caress, but your sources aren't good enough for me that a genocide is ongoing"

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Willo567 posted:

It honestly makes me sick to my drat stomach how the U.S. doesn't want to do anything to deescalate the situation

They don't even have the balls to lean on Israel to let foreign nationals stuck at the Rafah crossing through, they're not going to care as Israel kills all of Gaza it seems.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Paladinus posted:

Presumably, they are going to let them back in once they are done with HAMAS.

That's a good one since they won't allow any other Palestinian refugees to return, not sure why they'd be starting now

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Yeah the two carrier groups are not to intimidate Israel, they're to intimidate everyone else to leave Israel alone.

Biden may tut tut if Israel bombs every last citizen in Gaza but he won't do anything. If Syria or Lebanon do anything, they're getting those 140ish fighters as a reward.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm not going to look at any videos of purported hospital bombings, but has Hamas ever had rockets capable of leveling a building? There was an Israeli hospital struck during the initial barrage on Saturday, and the damage amounted to a hole in the wall and zero casualties.

As far as I know,.not even close. You need a serious supply chain and facilities to make bombs like that.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

brugroffil posted:

The US governments official line for now is that bombing the hospital was justified

https://twitter.com/housetrotter/status/1714369451317997805

How can she stand up there and say that, I am just speechless. Not a shred of empathy.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Plus, the IDF said in the opening days that "no buildings will remain."

That categorically includes hospitals.

And if they won't give them water and electricity, I don't see why bombing a hospital should matter to them since everyone in it will be dead soon anyhow.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

snorch posted:

I'm sort of out of the loop here, but zionism aside, why can't Israel just stick to its internationally recognized borders? Seems to me like there would be be none of this mess in the first place if they just colored inside the lines.

They've colonized hard inside the majority of the internationally recognized west bank borders for starters

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Raise your hand if this surprises you

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1714651224815939902

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

However, we cannot allow the UN to ask Israel to pause this for humanitarian aid.

Mind you, France and the UK also vetoed the resolution.

edit: this was in response to Joe up there

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

PT6A posted:

I mean, yeah, Dad, it looks pretty bad. My room smells like smoke and you caught me with a pack the other day, and yes there's butts from that same brand on the carpet, but I swear to god, a crazy person broke in and smoked the cigarettes that totally weren't mine -- I don't even smoke, I'd never smoke -- in my room.

There was a bombing of a hospital that Israel specifically warned would be bombed, by them. In what farcical, stupid universe are we supposed to believe this was a completely unrelated incident?

The universe where your world view literally will not allow you to accept occam's razor here, basically

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Logically then, Israel needs to kill all the Palestinians to make sure they get Hamas, is what I'm getting from that.

I somehow doubt every hospital and school is knowingly harboring Hamas and MSF and the UN are in on it and Israel magically knows. That Hamas has and does do that does not mean they can just blow up every ambulance because there could be hamas there. I feel like if they really know where Hamas is, by this point, with what must certainly be over 8000 bombs, Hamas should be pretty well disabled, but they're not, which means they actually have not much of an idea or don't really care one way or another.

A cease fire could allow for the civilians to not just all die of lack of water in the coming weeks, and maybe Israel to actually figure out where Hamas is instead of just leveling everything. They can go in and establish safe zones for civilians and then yes there will be urban warfare but then they could not level every building as was their stated goal at the onset. If you do that and you don't kill everyone*, you're guaranteeing another hamas.

A ceasefire would also make it painfully obvious where Hamas is as they launch their crappy rocket attacks.

*Of course, this is actually the goal.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Oct 19, 2023

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

quote:

No, there are underground networks they can’t really get to without land invasion. Getting the civilians out is the primer to going in there to get to the networks and dismantle this.

Civilians staying behind in hospital parking lots is only delaying this.

Where are they supposed to go? Egypt won't let them in and if they DO, Israel will *never* let them back in. They'll have been gifted a decades long goal immediately.

Even the foreign national citizens like 500-600 Americans are just piled up at the rafah border, hoping Israel doesn't decide to bomb them and go "it was a Hamas rocket ."

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Look it's Hamas's fault, they're hiding weapon caches in those pitas

ATM, I'm guessing it's kind of awkward between Cindy and Meghan McCain.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Oct 19, 2023

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

Answer this question - if airlifts were provided (by a third party) to pull critical patients out, would they be safe to do so or would Hamas shoot them down?

Dude, the IDF would shoot them down if Hamas didn't

And again, where are the hospitals going to "move" to?

Egypt won't let anyone cross into Egypt, Israel won't let anyone cross into Israel. Where is the hospital gonna move to.

Also, as many have said, IDF is hitting civillians on supposed "evacuation routes." So they could leave and move, and be exploded anyway.

Not that there's anywhere to actually *go*

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Oct 19, 2023

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Nonsense posted:

Events are moving quickly on the ground, many nations have requested their citizens to flee Lebanon. Is it possible an operation into that country is imminent?

This seems like a good thing to post a source for.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

They've already been in ethnic cleansing territory for decades, now they have (not are crossing, HAVE) crossed into full on attempted genocide.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

As if there was any doubt this was the true goal (annexing northern gaza)

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Autisanal Cheese posted:

https://x.com/AlanRMacLeod/status/1715124081467465882

looks open and shut to me, the church must have spontaneously exploded

If you look at the videos including survivor testimony uh idk how Israel spins this one but they will

"Looks like the other team did it"

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

This is all gonna be parroted by Western media without any thought to how ridiculous it is of course

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

Have they publicized an outcry for external helicopter transport to get the critical out so they can move the rest who are naively thinking the hospital at this point is a shelter, or have they just been crying victim to hope to affect the outcome of the war? The Hippocratic oath persuades them to heal anyone who comes, even if they grab a gun and shoot their neighbor after recovering. It doesn’t demand they put thousands in harms way to save a few. The doctors are effectively using the civilians sheltered there as shields at this point. There’s not 5000 critical patients in the hospital, but there are people. The doctors are effectively playing politics and it’s emotional at this point to argue otherwise.

Good lord. This is monstrous.

Nobody is offering helicopter transport or any other sort of transport....anywhere. Israel would totally shoot down any and all helicopters, for starters. "IDK man, Hamas might have been in those helicopters. You can't prove they weren't"

Not sure where they're supposed to go, either. Israel wants Gazans to evacuate the north so they can annex it but there's nowhere to go! "Just go out to the loving desert or something idk just not here where you lived your whole life"

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Fister Roboto posted:

Not a single mention of a call for cease fire. This is just the typical pro-Israel liberal stance: Israel can do whatever the gently caress it wants, but we'll wring our hands and feel bad about all the innocent Palestinians it murders without doing anything to stop it. A former president adding his voice to the calls for cease fire would be incredibly powerful, and he has nothing to lose for it, but he chooses not to.

Late to respond to this, but agreed. Obama continues to just be careful and not wield any of the power he easily could.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Randalor posted:

Mid-Life Crisis was advocating killing doctors and bombing hospitals was a-ok, does that count as "defending atrocities"?

No, they said that the doctors were doing so for political motivations so it's okay if they are killed

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

pro starcraft loser posted:

So will the IDF just surround Gaza and make it look like the DMZ after all this?

The idea seems to be to push them over into Egypt and take over the strip for settlement, whether Egypt likes it or not

They want all the Gazans out, doesn't matter whether they leave or die, really

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Judgy Fucker posted:

I'm very, very stupid. To help me understand, could you walk me through the logic behind this statement step by step?

See this gem from yesterday

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3754814&userid=230963&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post535480387

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Unlike Israelis, Gazans can eat cheeseburgers and (beef) pepperoni on their pizza

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Judgy Fucker posted:

[*]Increased violence in the West Bank

I'd argue this is actually more of a consequence for West Bank Palestinians based on the reports I've seen

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Nerve gas is a slow rolling green cloud that will eventually fill up the tunnels completely like in a movie

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

That's fine but overall Hamas are your bread and butter religious extremists. I'm sure they do plenty of governing but that doesn't change the fact they're literally insane zealots.

So is the Israeli government. Bibi's literally talking like Hitler now with that speech about the strong surviving and wiping out the weak

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Mister Fister posted:

In some alternate reality, these students are physically attacked and some goons will justify it as 'praxis'. This poo poo is not ok.

In some alternate universe Israel genocides Palestinians...oh wait that is actually a real thing unlike your scenario

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

BUUNNI posted:

Why are they uh….gendering a settler apartheid colonial state?

https://twitter.com/amyschumer/status/1717327976218399177

And she turned off comments like the coward she is

quote:

This is just yet another attempt by Mister Fister posting sensationalist articles to create an image of something that does not exist.

Literally everything Mister Fister says is just some ridiculous article they've usually taken out of context completely, or just speculation about how unsafe Jewish people must feel (while Gazans die by the hundreds at least per day, and the US pledges support for genocide and people get fired for speaking out against the genocide, and a kid in Illinois got stabbed 26 time for being Palestinian descent). Kind of old.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

TheRat posted:

I'd say it's fairly common to refer to motherland/fatherland, but to refer to a warring country as 'she' seems very odd and a bit disturbing. Also,

I can think of a number of instances in pop culture, from God Bless America to Ocelot talking about Russia in MGS2. Seems something that's dumb and old and should go away but I'll bet Amy Schumer isn't the only person who refers to countries this way