Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

LeoMarr posted:

Yeah I think Israel should look more like this

I'm okay with the jews being the vindicators of Constantinople as long as it isn't the turkish hordes

Are these the borders of the Ottoman Empire, or what am I looking at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

The Insect Court posted:

Stabbing a picture is worse than stabbing a person. How on earth can anyone find that an arguable or outrageous statement?

Stop arguing against points nobody is even attempting to make.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Dabir posted:

Have you ever posted sober?

If Avshalom posted in an I/P thread sober, part of us would die.

Keep doing your wonderful thing, friend.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

A Terrible Person posted:

Actually they can and do quite frequently.

I think he meant that as at least a quasi-normative statement.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

:stare:

Speaking of the consequences of little being done to rein in extremist sentiments.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Maoist Pussy posted:

I am aware that it is a terrifying subject for goons.

Deliberate and cold-blooded crimes against humanity is indeed a terrifying subject. And who considers the gradual annexation of land for the purpose of racial and religious hegemony to be a 'practical purpose'? Even of the ardent supporters of Israeli foreign policy that I've talked to in real life, none of them considered the settlements to be legal, necessary or in any way valid.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

2. Israel is perceived as another "white/Western" country, even if this may not really match reality. Many people in the West tend to be far more interested in countries they perceive as being similar to their own committing crimes than countries they view as very alien/different. This is definitely completely illogical and isn't a good reason, but I can still understand why it happens.

I want to bounce off this one in particular. I think one of the other reasons for the focus on Israeli human rights violations is that it actually claims aspirations to be a state in support of human rights to begin with.

To use a different example, in various Syrian Civil War related discussions, some people will occasionally claim that whenever there's an alleged crime committed by Kurdish forces; however, I think this is because out of all the major forces in the region, the Kurds (and the SDF around them) are about the only ones who say they give a drat about rights an equality. Thus, when the regime bombs a neighbourhood into rubble, it's a non-story, but if a Kurdish unit fires on civilians, it is immensely controversial.

I see something of a similar effect with the Israeli regime. Pro-Israeli propaganda constantly says things like "We have gay rights. We have women's rights. We have minority rights. This is why you should support us." It's only natural that a significant reaction to that premise will be "The fact that those things matter to you mean you should know better."

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

The Insect Court posted:

This is easily the worst/stupidest/most bizarre anti-Israel argument that gets regurgitated in these threads. It's got the barely sub subtext of "If they stopped pretending to be ranked amongst us civilized Westerners, the way the Arabs have, we wouldn't have this problem" style Orientalism. And that's without addressing the weird racial issues where white Europeans/Americans decide to impose a white identity on Israeli Jews.

Its 'reasoning' also leads to grotesque conclusions, like the idea that the creation of an explicitly theocratic non-democratic state in Israel would be an improvement because it wouldn't be as hypocritical.

It must take a lot of effort to try to find the most offensive subtext possible in nearly every post on this thread. The concept that nation states often get judged by standards they create for themselves, and that they are often called out on resulting hypocrisy isn't exactly new or groundbreaking, let alone offensive.

Ratoslov posted:

You are the best poster in this thread.

Also, this is true.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Harik posted:

More like "Everyone still loving hates the Roma but jews not so much." It's always astounding just how much Europe stereotypes and despises them.

In the West, broadly and generally speaking, this is true, but there's still a lot of societally ingrained anti-semitism in Eastern Europe.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

And with that, Baloogan has redeemed himself entirely in my eyes. Well done, good sir!

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

All I want now is for Avshalom's post history to become a semi-famous thing attached to the peace process for whatever reason. Something that not a lot of people would know about, but any history scholar who studied the process would know about.

Like there would be a history lecture in Tel Aviv in the year 2107, and a Palestinian student would lean over to the Jew next to him and whisper the words "I have never been so naked..." and the Jew would barely be able to suppress audible laughter.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

I wonder if it interferes with something else happening behind the scenes in the Syrian Civil War (you know, because things can always get more complicated).

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Likud MKs and Ministers are still going at the "biggest idiot" award, the competition has become stiffer during this current Knesset term with the addition of MKs Oren Hazan and Miki Zohar but transportation minister Israel Katz has not given up yet:
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...4b08af01be9dddb

In order to save the Liberal Democracy, we had to burn the Liberal Democracy?

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Xander77 posted:

What rogue state besides North Korea would not care about a US boycott? Where's the moral outrage about the support for China and Saudi Arabia?

If there were even a prayer of a chance that a boycott of Saudi Arabia could occur, I'd be all over that in a heartbeat.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Hong XiuQuan posted:

Eu Diplomat: EU is against BDS

https://electronicintifada.net/blogs/ali-abunimah/israeli-settlement-goods-welcome-europe-says-eu-envoy

There's been some discussion ITT about why people don't hold everyone else to the same standards they hold Israel - the double-standards indicator of antisemitism. That's already mostly been addressed but given the reaction in the EU and the US to BDS, how about we pose the question somewhat differently? Why is Israel not held to the same standards as other nations?

When Iraq invaded and occupied Kuwait, a global coalition forced it out and destroyed Iraq. It then placed Iraq under years of brutal sanctions. In 2003, it was invaded again and the government destroyed.

Now, aside from the rise of the likes of ISIS as a direct result of this, why hasn't Israel been held to the same standards as Iraq in the last 50 years?

I think you answered your own question. Both practically and ethically, what was done to Iraq was wrong. Doing the same to Israel under the reasoning of applying the same standards would just result in repeated mistakes.

FreshlyShaven posted:

Don't forget Yitzhak Shamir, the terrorist who ordered the assassination of Folke Bernadotte, the Swedish Schindler. Or the terrorist Rabin who ordered the Lydda death march, killing roughly 300 civilians. Or Ariel Sharon, who oversaw the slaughter of Sabra and Shatila.

I just read about this and what the actual poo poo, Lehi.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Speaking realistically a boycott of Israel is not going to cause a humanitarian crisis.

Is the country self-sufficient food-wise? I mean, the population of Israel isn't huge, but the country isn't very big either.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

A couple dozen NY politicians have joined a push to have BDS supporting students at CUNY investigated and punished for racism

Everything else about that aside, I didn't know you could be punished for racism. You can be judged, opposed, criticized, etc, for racism, but how is it a punishable offense, exactly?

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

I wish I lived in this world.

He's not wrong. Even among die-hard supporters of Israel (in North America at least), there is frequent acknowledgement that the settlements are unjust. I've been told that the same is generally true in Israel as well (although I can't confirm this personally).

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Lady Morgaga posted:

Xander why do you even try? You are not changing the mind of the people that consider bombing thousands of people who are mostly civilians much worse thing then stabbing a person.

ftfy

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

What a discovery!
They've weaponized their bodies to shoot bullets!

Oh no - that farmer fired a high-explosive round at that tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

A client saw my last name and congratulated me on Israel "getting rid o the Arabs".

Solid stuff.

God loving dammit.