Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I know I am going to regret asking this, but do you actually think Palestinians were behind the 9/11 attacks and/or are a credible threat to the USA, or are you arguing that Americans are too stupid to tell foreigners apart and that's why America has to be an enemy of Palestine and an ally of the country most of the attackers were from?

I guess my question is, are you arguing that you personally are too stupid to know who was behind 9/11 or that Americans are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

All deaths that occurred in the invasion of Poland are morally the fault of the Poles and the Poles alone, because if Poland had surrendered immediately no one would have had to die.

E: The USA is responsible for Pearl Harbor because Roosevelt could have ceded Southeast Asia to Japan and paid them oil tribute

E2:

hakimashou posted:

i am arguing that i personally am too stupid to know who was behind 9/11

Oh okay I figured, thanks for clearing that up.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Apr 8, 2016

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Neither the ANC nor the Afrikaner NP are willing to budge on whether black people can leave the bantustans, clearly both sides are equally at fault for apartheid.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Continuing to expand into new areas, cleanse the locals, and build settlements sounds a lot like setting up an apartheid state to me, considering it's taking areas which are not currently part of a racist apartheid state and reconstituting them as one.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pachakuti posted:

Another aspect of this which is fundamentally problematic is the extent to which anti-Zionism is not about ideas but about repeating the proper catechism. If you say that it's absurd to say that Israel is being "set up", then people immediately claim that the illegal occupation of the West Bank and East Jerusalem historically is irrelevant, and settlements emerge apparently from the aether rather than being a manifestation of existing Israeli policy for decades. It's a stupid statement to make, but it's of course not about thinking, it's about the fact that someone disputed one of the slogans.

Building new settlements isn't setting them up, because other settlements were built before?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pachakuti posted:

Do you know what a "state" is?

Yes.

Do you know that states aren't "set up" in one instant, and that "setting up" a state is a long process that takes decades and often centuries?

Continuing to incorporate more and more areas into an ever-greater expansionist state is certainly an ongoing process of setting up a state. No one would ever argue, regarding any other state, that an ongoing program of military conquest and occupation isn't "setting up" a wider imperial state because "oh well you see we have been expanding for decades so we must be past the set-up stage by now"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah. A conversation that would not have happened had the people interrogating them not been antisemites. How many times must this be explained to you? This also doesn't explain the non-/anti-Zionists forced to leave for carrying similar "offensive" symbols.

Eh I don't know about this. There are some versions of the Christian cross that have, hm, very political overtones. Asking what someone means by their choice of cross to display is not anti-Christian bias, and if their response is "why yes, it just so happens I do believe in a white nationalist ethnostate from which all others have been relocated into walled-off enclaves under an apartheid regime, whoa hey you can't kick me out just for being a Christian stop discriminating against my religion" I am going to be...skeptical that it was just a total coincidence that a white supremacist just so happened to select a version of a religious icon associated with their white supremacist politics and there was no intent to make a political statement thereby.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 28, 2017

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pachakuti posted:

The Star of David doesn't carry those overtones.

Agreed. Neither does the Christian cross.

The flag of Israel does though. As do certain juxtapositions of the cross-and-flame (but not others, for example the Methodist cross). So it doesn't seem inherently unreasonable to me to ask someone whether their symbol is intended to represent their religion or their politics, if an ambiguous symbol is chosen. And if the response is "well yes I just so happen to be a political supporter of apartheid thanks for asking", well maybe it's still a coincidence but I don't know.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Other people in other countries do much worse things than BDS, Kim Jong Il, so shouldn't you be spending 100% of your time talking about those things before you say a word about BDS?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kim Jong Il posted:

It's not 100%, it's proportionality. And I do spend a lot of time thinking about them, it's imperative that tyrants like Assad or the Sauds be brought to justice.

Ah, so you're advocating that no one ever do anything about BDS, because that would violate the concept of proportionality as any time or effort spent counter-organizing can't ever be proportional to the amount of time one should be spending organizing against all the more numerous and much more serious things happening around the world.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kim Jong Il posted:

If Israel was uniformly interested in colonization, they would have done so.

Their interest in colonization is irrelevant to them refraining from doing so because no matter how much interest they have they could not succeed without American aid, loans, and weapons shipments, which would stop if they decided to go full Assad.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Is anyone actually pro-Israel. All the pro-Israel posts on these last two pages look like lazy trolling, it's all just rephrasings of the evil three-decade-old apartheid defenses in my home country.
  • There are a lot of bad things happening in the world, you should talk about those, and never about apartheid. If you say anything bad about apartheid while other problems exist elsewhere, it must be because you're secretly an anti-Afrikaner bigot.
  • Black people should stop resisting apartheid and then we will have peace.
  • Why don't we get any credit for not exterminating the subhuman races en masse?
  • Well the Japanese get an ethnically homogeneous nation-state, so why are we singled out for clearing out the mud races existing on our own land?
  • You say our caste system is antidemocratic, but actually once we finish ethnically cleansing the good land, all the natives will be reclassified as foreigners in nominally independent politically nonviable bantustans on the lovely land, then we can have liberal Democracy, keep out the foreigners just like any other country, and when the bantustans starve it won't be our fault.
  • The ANC can never win, so everything we do to them is ultimately their fault for continuing a futile struggle.

All we need now is Kirschen-style alternate history "Palestine didn't exist before 1948, so Palestinians must not have been here either, maybe they appeared out of the ether one day" so we can check off the "actually, white people settled Africa first" argument.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 25, 2017

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I don't think qkkl is being serious, it's a little too on the nose. Real Likud defenders take care to disguise their unreasonable demands.

But you know, Poe's Law. It's hard to tell when you've got unironic psychopaths like Hakimashou who has been relentlessly pro-genocide in every situation for years and years, including arguing that it would be good if America nuked the world immediately after WW2 because it would be America doing it.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ultramega posted:

It's not racism that baffles me but the idea that something as obviously malleable as culture or geographic location can be fetishized. It's the same impulse that makes idiots buy pallets of nutri-grain bars or something after the kellogs ceo badmouths trump or whatever.

I mean, European history is basically one long story of people idolizing the little dale where they were born and the good familiar apes they've known all their lives who speak the good language and worship the right god, while snarling in rage and fear at the bad other apes who live in the next dale over and speak with a slightly different accent and wear unfamiliar clothes and worship the wrong god (or the right god in the wrong way), and then killing millions of each other in blood feuds over whose neighborhood has the better people, so...

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

Was it ever different anywhere else?

Good point. European human history

I just meant it's not surprising people like that still exist.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Didn't Britain consciously make all those non-white people British in the 40s as a gambit to hang on to their overseas empire?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Londinium 79AD 85% Roman Briton :)
Londinium 979AD 10% Roman Briton, 20% Dane, 70% Saxon oh my lord what a disaster, these Saxons they aren't even human!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kim Jong Il posted:

The US, Saudi Arabia, Russia, who isn't aiding and abetting war crimes?

Oh well then, as long as you keep your murdering down to "The History of Russia Minus 1" levels that makes it okay.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dommolus Magnus posted:

What is his point here?

"I've always told you that Jews control the world. And, see, this jew here admits it", or what?

Probably something more like "holy poo poo, an Israeli is sincerely disseminating neo-Nazi propaganda because its anti-Semitic attack is targeting someone who has criticized Israeli government policy. Authoritarianism is a hell of a drug".

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah, I'm sure that's "Dr." David ""Former" KKK Grand Wizard" Duke's argument here. :rolleyes:

:gonk:

I'm dumb

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Any Jew can take advantage of the Law of Return, which Israel, as a sovereign state, has as part of its immigration law, so they can come in, and make themselves relevant. Much like Saudi Arabia is a sovereign state and can decide not to give citizenship to Palestinians in order to "help" them retain their Right of Return, and keep them disenfranchised, and keep blaming Israel for this in perpetuity.
*kicks you out of your house*
Actually this is everyone else's fault for not letting you stay with them. Toodles!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

A murderer wouldn't honor due process, so why should police have to honor due process if they think someone might be a murderer?

Heh take that, human rights :smug:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Miftan posted:

Nah, he's just a shithead. He thought the US should have nuked the USSR and killed everyone there after World War 2.

Ah but if the US had successfully executed a first strike against a non-nuclear foe, the US would be the winners, retroactively justifying murdering millions and millions of people and spreading fallout all over the globe.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Good to see the right-wing racist argument that someone moving in down the street from you is actually just like them kicking you out of your own home.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Lady Morgaga posted:

Any Israeli Arab that is not antisemitic and zealot looks at countries surrounding Israel and makes a choice not to destroy a place within 1000 kilometers that is not a shithole.

BTW thread full of antisemitic cunts is not a best place for information about Israel

Please don't conflate all Jewish people with the State of Israel.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

fritzgryphon posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottoman_Syria ?

No one has rights unless it's easier than the alternative. I have a 'right' to drinking water only because it's more expedient for the powers that be to give it than to deny it.

Sure, it's unjust. It just has to make a pretext that their backers will accept (or not care enough to sanction). Organized force also gets better results (attacks in Israel are down).

I see the appeal in looking for a just solution but it just doesn't matter. If anything, wasted effort toward justice prolongs a lot of conflicts in the world. Groups are defeated, but instead of being completely absorbed or obliterated they garner sympathy and aid, making forever conflict. Declaring Israel in the first place was partially misguided justice.

A real outcome will just reflect the balance of power. If you want to be pro armchair humanitarian you can guess that outcome and try to make it happen quicker. Anything else is making the situation worse.

edit: Not that the outcome matters to armchair humanitarian when the goal is to feel superior by bestowing good intentions on your lessers.

Therefore, I suppose, resistance to apartheid was immoral, because the white minority government had greater military might and could have massacred the majority if they so chose. Therefore the only moral course of action for the ANC was to surrender unconditionally and collaborate with the Nats to defeat any movement for democracy or civil rights as swiftly as possible thereby minimizing the number of protesters or dissidents or just ordinary civilians Botha's government had to murder to sustain minority rule.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Even he were right about the economics (like you said he's not, slavery was incredibly profitable and the South was terrified of losing the free labor their plantation economy depended on), the """moral""" conclusion he's drawing is that the African American slaves should have submitted and policed each other into submitting and never tried to resist or run away in order to minimize the number of unruly slaves the plantation owners reluctantly had to torture and kill to maintain the institution.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Keep in mind that hakimashou thinks that back when America was the sole nuclear power it would have been good for us to nuke most of Eurasia and poison half the world with radioactive fallout, this would have been righteous by definition because the people with the power to do it would have been the ones doing it.

It's like arguing with Zorg from the fifth element, there's no way to come to an agreement because he's starting from a fundamentally incompatible moral premise totally alien to humanity. O'Brien from 1984 might be a more exact analogy actually, the ideal existence is a boot stomping on the face of humanity, forever.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Hobologist posted:

Interestingly the Nuremberg trials included charges against the Germans for waging aggressive war going back to the invasion of Poland in 1939, and since a settled maxim of the law is that you can't punish people for actions that weren't illegal until after they did them, the only logical solution, if you believe in the Nuremberg verdicts, is that waging war to acquire territory was already illegal in 1939. At any rate, it certainly was by 1945, or 1948 when al-Naqba happened.

So the Israelis have the Germans to thank for the fact that they can't just annex the West Bank.

While he would agree with every sentence handed out at Nuremberg because he believes in victor's justice so anything the winner does to the vanquished is by definition moral, he would disagree with the charges because under his morality the only crime the Nazis committed was losing the war.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I'm sure there are better ways to debate Al-Saqr's assertions than attacking him for his racial heritage.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kim Jong Il posted:

Nothing I've said has indicated this, and I've indicated the direct opposite. Every state should have 100% open borders. In the interim, it's unfair to single out some countries for betraying this ideal paradigm and not others.

How have I mischaracterized BDS? I think immigrants are great and I support the two state solution, and have a giant paper trail on both of those topics. Do you have single shred of evidence that I oppose either of those things? No, because you're just smearing anyone who argues against your right wing chest pounding. You support policies that will lead to endless war and mass deaths along ethnic and sectarian lines. Either own it, or stop supporting stupid policies and start supporting the peace process.

I am in favor of open borders and open immigration in every country, but we have to #BuildTheWall and keep the Mexicans out because there's just too much gosh-darned ethnic strife when they're around.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's not "necessary" for anyone because racism and ethnic supremacy are not only unnecessary but also wrong, evil, horrific, and counterproductive to goals of a prosperous and just society, hope that helps!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Colonialists never worry about that, hypocrisy is integral to their philosophy.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Therefore the Geneva Conventions are a sham and ethnic cleansing is fine, actually.

Thanks for the authoritarian take.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

The Geneva Conventions relate to the treatment of the sick, wounded, shipwrecked, POWs, and civilians in war, and aren't relevant to whether a particular seizure of territory is justified.

Your probably thinking of the non-intervention principle as articulated in Article 2.4 of the UN Charter, and yeah, I'd say that has been a joke since the day it was inked. Which UN members have stepped up to prevent the normalization of the status quo post bellum in Crimea?

There are plenty of reasons an invasion or occupation can be wrong, but arguing that no country has the right to seize territory by force has been ridiculous for a while now.

So because nobody wanted to attack a nuclear power that means conquest is morally okay now?

In other words might makes right and the only crime the Nazis committed was losing the war, Coolio thanks for this fresh and new take that authoritarian dipshits haven't posted a thousand times before to justify apartheid and ethnic cleansing.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kim Jong Il posted:

The problem is it's not applied consistently, if you look at Russia in multiple cases, the most recent being Ukraine, Turkey in Cyprus, etc...

Reducing the total amount of war and genocide is a good thing, you lunatic.

If your reaction to Turkey mass murdering Cypriots is "well now it's only fair that we increase worldwide mass murder as much as possible so everyone gets another turn" then you are bad at reasoning and bad at morality.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kim Jong Il posted:

Claims of "Whataboutism" are both a poor argument (as hypocrisy is a legitimate charge),

No it's not. Tu quoque is a logical fallacy for a reason.

Only a psychopath would argue that because Duterte is murdering thousands of people it's only fair that you have a turn too.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kim Jong Il posted:

They're only fallacies when they're not relevant (there are real slippery slopes all of the time for instance), not directly pertinent to the argument at hand. Actions by X don't make actions by Y ok.

No there are no valid slippery slope arguments, by definition, because if you can logically show that an undesirable or contradictory conclusion can be deduced from a given set of premises then you have some type of valid argument (proof by contradiction, or reduction ad absurdum or something). Slippery slope refers to merely asserting the undesirable conclusion without any valid argument to back it up. You're bad at reasoning.

Likewise there is no valid tu quoque, because the truth of a proposition doesn't change based on whether the person you're talking to is a hypocrite. Nor does any rigorous ethical theory say that morality changes based on who you happen to be talking to. It doesn't become okay for me to murder just because OJ Simpson is the one telling me not to do it and only a psychopath would argue otherwise.

Kim Jong Il posted:

Saying Y's actions make X's actions worse, or they should be called out equally, is not fallacious.

That aint the argument you're making though, you are specifically making the argument that it is right for Israel to expand by conquest and ethnic cleansing right here in the very same post!

Kim Jong Il posted:

I don't think it's possible to reverse the majority of them, and the international consensus on the two state solution, including the Palestinian Authority, includes land swaps. Palestinians don't have leverage, so the choice is either go with the maps that Olmert was offering a decade ago, or receive increasingly less over time.

It doesn't set a precedent in the sense that the UN and Geneva Conventions have already proven largely toothless in preventing annexation by war. The precedent is etched in stone, it's continued unabated and to pretend otherwise is silly. We should be asking the inverse question, whether the ineffectiveness of international governing bodies encouraged the Israeli right post-1967, and I think the answer is almost certainly yes. They proved they wouldn't stop other countries, and they destroyed their credibility by questioning Israel's right to exist at all, giving cover for more egregious actions because they could be correctly dismissed as a dishonest broker.

I'm against these policies. I have said repeatedly that Israel needs final, stable, permanent borders. We need to stop this echo chamber where anti-Zionists keep enabling the Israeli right.

Like you understand that I can read the whole post right. Like just because you quote someone else that doesn't turn it into a DM that I can't see, you know that yes? So there is no point trying to tell me you're just calling for more scrutiny on Turkey while you defend Israel's conquests to someone else, because I can see both so I know you are lying to me about what you believe because I can see you saying the exact opposite in the very next paragraph.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Crime will always exist, so why try to prevent it. Can't change human nature.

Just grin and bear it everyone, just like the weather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Really? I know that the Cubans supported communists in Angola and helped defeat the SA intervention, but did they actually support anti-apartheid forces within SA?

With training and funding outside the country yes. Not with direct military intervention (or an air campaign) within South Africa itself like that guy was claiming, no.

I've been reading the memories of one of the progressive party politicians from the era (Van Zyl Slabbert) and he does credit the defeat in Angola with playing a large part in convincing the military and security establishment that no "military solution" to the anti-apartheid movement in South Africa was possible.