Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Just out of curiosity, how many Israeli homes have been destroyed due to their occupants being suspected of terrorism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

LeoMarr posted:

Most of the settlers in Gaza lost their homes.

If I recall correctly, Israel abandoned Gaza and withdrew their settlers long ago. I meant more along the lines of their homes being bombed or bulldozed due to some illegal action or incitement, especially when said homes are still being occupied.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

The Insect Court posted:

And in related news
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/15/world/middleeast/palestinian-rams-car-into-crowd-of-israelis-at-jerusalem-bus-stop.html

Just gonna go ahead and point out that anyone who thinks stabbing a picture is worse than stabbing actual people to death is probably a morally loathsome human being.

Not going to bother reading the article because it was posted by TIS, but what are the chances that a purely accidental car wreck involving a Palestinian is not going to be interpreted as a terror attack by the Israeli media?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

team overhead smash posted:

The 'invasion' that you're talking about was a small raid that killed several militants
which is to say nto an invasion and thus you being completely wrong about your claim. The type of consequence I'm arguing about being a downside of rocket attacks is the thousands of casualties caused by a large scale attack incurred as a response. Think Cast lead or Protective Edge or the 2004 stage in the Second Intifada where they started firing rockets to Israel bombed hundred of people.

Ah. Cool.

So military intervention by Israel doesn't count. Why not also say that the uptick in rockets had nothing to do with hostilities, too, then?

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Seeing as the point being made is about large-scale attacks which result in thousands of casualties, exactly what the gently caress is a small scale attack that left several people dead supposed to matter in the context of the discussion being had?

Wasn't one of the points about rockets that they have almost no casualties due to their inaccuracy coupled with the Iron Dome?

Seems like we've got a double standard here.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Yes, that was one of the points. I was also a completely separate point with the issue being a factor in a completely different context which has nothing to do with what I just asked you or was being talked about.

So once again "exactly what the gently caress is a small scale attack that left several people dead supposed to matter in the context of the discussion being had"?

Fair enough.

On the other hand, you seem to be suggesting that the isolated population of Gaza should start stabbing soldiers who they have no physical access to in the face rather than launching long-distance attacks which is utterly nonsensical in the context of the discussion being had.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Israeli cannot arbitrarily choose whether or not Palestine is a sovereign country.

Actually they can and do quite frequently.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

rscott posted:

I categorically deny the utility of targeting civilians but that doesn't mean I'm going to ignore the ridiculous understatement that you've made.

So long as the face is only biting the boot and not the leg, all things are well and good.

And, to ruin a succinct statement, gasping for breath counts as biting and therefor requires far more stamping in self defense.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

I don't see any particular reason why the militant groups' ability to lionise their deeds would be drastically weakened by concentrating on other forms of attack, especially when conspicuous options that the Palestinian public will see happening like mortars are still on the table (which seems to be the main point that makes rockets stand out in terms of influencing morale). If you think there is a particular reason they would then I'd like to hear it. On the other hand there are advantages that are fairly obvious and have been gone over quite a few times, with the main benefit not being the strategic effects (wow, killing 2 soldiers a year instead of 0.1!) but rather that this would stop the occurrence of war crimes which targeting civilians which will in turn have advantages in diplomacy, the propaganda/public perception of the conflict and Israel's counter-attacks. That's not to mention the moral basis for not committing war crimes.

It's almost as if Gaza is entirely surrounded by belligerents, has its waters monitored, can not import many "real" weapons, and has to have caches of real weaponry available for the the next inevitable Israeli attack while still remaining relevant as an active (if restrained) participant in an armed conflict.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

If it was that hard to get mortar shells, they wouldn't have literally already fired thousands of mortars at Israel to date - less that with rockets but not off by a massive amount, maybe twice as many rockets are mortars.

Does that really follow? I could just as easily say that their large supply is due in part to the fact that they use rockets more frequently when firing in protest.

Regardless, it hardly makes sense to throw away good weapons when you have a far larger enemy at your gates intent on fighting you for eternity. And, yes; Hamas and other rocket-firing groups are committing war crimes, not as though that really matters much.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

"Good weapons"? We're talking about rockets, not good weapons. After firing about 10,000 rockets over 15 years they've killed a single IDF soldier last year and that was with one of the professionally made grad rockets too, not a qassam. It'd probably be more effective to just save up money and then order the local IDF barracks some takeaway pizzas as often as they can. Pretty sure the health effects of fatty food would be a more reliable killer than rockets.

If you're going to ignore the moral case and fall back on the strategic benefits, there have to actually be strategic benefits for that to work.

I don't believe for a second that Hamas ever planned to defeat Israel by randomly firing off pissrockets and the occasional mortar from within Gaza. That's not their purpose. And way to bolster my own point: the rockets are garbage weapons and therefor have been fired off by the thousands... rather than wasting the good (i.e. effective/accurate) weapons.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

A Terrible Person posted:

It's almost as if Gaza is entirely surrounded by belligerents, has its waters monitored, can not import many "real" weapons, and has to have caches of real weaponry available for the the next inevitable Israeli attack while still remaining relevant as an active (if restrained) participant in an armed conflict.

This is the original post you're drawing from when you say this:

You're all over the place and seem to be making this poo poo up as you go along. A post ago you say we can't waste rockets because they're good weapons. Now you say they're terrible weapons... but you still can't stop using them because then Palestinians would be forced to use good effective weapons that they have in massive quantity and won't run out of and which also aren't inherent war crimes. And that would be bad because, y'know, reasons.

Perhaps I should have italicized "real" the first time? Perhaps I should have typed "those" before my second use of real? In either case, my point was that Hamas and other groups mostly use lovely handmade pissrockets that aren't aimed at anything in particular as a sign of defensive aggression, an act of defiance, and (when the Iron Dome actually works) a reminder to the world that they're trapped in a ghetto and don't really have a viable military response to their plight; the actually useful munitions (read as: purchased rather than homemade shells/rockets/etc.) are generally saved for countering the inevitable Israeli bombing campaign.

Whether or not they constitute war crimes is irrelevant. They most certainly do, but it doesn't matter since the entire quagmire is a human rights disaster story. Pointing fingers at the oppressed while demanding they be blameless Paladins in their fight for basic necessities is ridiculous in a situation where physical might and the right connections are the only basis for justice and "fair" international conflict.

*edit* added bolding and italics just to be sure.
*edit2* ...

A Terrible Person fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 9, 2016

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Kajeesus posted:

That is pretty good news. Did anything ever happen to the police officers who tried to beat a US citizen into confessing that Abu had been killed by his family for being gay?

Nothing so far as I'm aware.

I also didn't see anything about the teenagers' families' houses/apartments being scheduled for demolition. Any info on that, TIC, considering the article forget to mention it?

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

A Terrible Person posted:

I also didn't see anything about the teenagers' families' houses/apartments being scheduled for demolition.

Guess I wasn't the only one curious about this...

quote:

The father of Mohammed Abu Khdeir, the Palestinian teen who was kidnapped and burnt alive by Jewish extremists in 2014, has demanded that the Israeli government demolish the family homes of his son’s murderers and remove their Israeli citizenship, following their sentencing on Thursday.

In a phone call with Newsweek from Jerusalem, Hussein Abu Khdeir condemned the sentence handed down to two of the three killers as too lenient. Jerusalem District Court sentenced the first killer, 17, to a life sentence for helping to pour the gasoline on 16-year-old Khdeir before he was set on fire, plus another three-year sentence, and ordered him to pay $8,946 in reparations to two Palestinian families.

The court sentenced the second killer, aged 16, to 21 years in prison for assisting in Khdeir’s murder. Both minors, neither was identified by the court. The court has not yet sentenced the third suspect, 31-year-old Yosef Ben-David, as they take time to consider his defense’s claim that he was not responsible for his actions because of mental illness.

“It’s like they burnt Mohammed again,” says his father in reaction to the sentencing. “It’s too light of a sentence for the people who burnt him alive. A [Palestinian] kid throws a rock, he will get that same sentence.”

He continues: “They kidnapped him, burned him alive and [the court] gives him this sentence. This is not fair, it is not justice. Next week, we are going to ask the [Israeli authorities] to demolish their homes and take away their Israeli IDs.”

In response to deadly stabbing or shooting attacks committed by Palestinians against Israelis, Israeli authorities demolish the family homes of those implicated in the crime. Palestinians say that the same policy is not enforced for Jewish attackers.

Mohammed’s father says his family will appeal the court’s decision and will take action against the Israeli authorities for not sufficiently punishing his son’s killers. While he is not confident of victory in the Israeli justice system, he says that they will continue to fight in the hopes of stopping another Palestinian from suffering the same fate as his son.

“We are going to go to a higher court and we are going to sue the government and the police,” he adds. “We don’t believe in the Israeli justice…. We don’t believe that we are going to win anything with them.”

“We are going to be after them so nobody else will suffer the way we suffered, and [to prevent] the burning of another Mohammad Abu Khdeir.”

Khdeir’s murder—which, it was revealed in the trial, was carried out in response to the kidnap and murder of three Israeli hitchhikers in the West Bank—set off a chain of events that led to riots in east Jerusalem and the West Bank, and eventually resulted in the seven-week Gaza conflict in 2014.

According to the trial, Khdeir was waiting outside a mosque in East Jerusalem when his killers abducted him on July 2, 2014. They took him to a secluded area in Jerusalem Forest, where two of the killers held him down before Ben-David ordered them to “end him.” One of them choked him and then Ben-David beat him over the head with a crowbar. The three then doused Khdeir in fuel and, while he was still alive, set him alight.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
Gotta say it was real awesome hearing NPR yesterday. Their embedded journalist focusing on Gazan misery lied about HAMAS coming to power via elections with promises since fulfilled of restoring power and water utilities and instead claimed they took power by force while casually mentioning the current lack of energy without mentioning Israeli airstrikes and simultaneously insisting the border protests were HAMAS-led violent scourmishes meant to provoke violent counterattacks.

gently caress everything.

A Terrible Person fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 31, 2018

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Kim Jong Il posted:

Hamas won the 2006 parliamentary elections, which had nothing to do with them taking over Gaza from Fatah by force 18 months later.

Don't you ever dare quote me again you nazi bitch. There is no justification for firing on protesters.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Kim Jong Il posted:

Nazi? What you said is incorrect, Hamas took power in Gaza by force. I did not "justify" anything - clearly the intent with the protests was for Hamas to have people killed to help their propaganda efforts. It's a sick tragedy.

gently caress you, nazi oval office. Hope that clears up any discrepancies.

To actually add to the discussion, I find it strange (as in not surprising at all) that there is no mention of the number of wounded in any western media I've come across.

A Terrible Person fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 1, 2018

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Nameless_Steve posted:

The payot are just for decoration, then? Do you want a cookie because you (or whoever) didn't go full Le Happy Merchant?

I get the feeling literally anything from Jewish culture would have you screaming anti-semitism.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Nameless_Steve posted:

Look, Streicher, if you want to give me an avatar that signals "Jew", so that all near and far on the forums will know I'm a filthy untermensch and know which train to send me to, you should just quit pussyfooting around and give me a yellow star.

Wah! I just want to suck off the Israeli military, not be associated with them! You people are MEANIES! Waaaah!

Haha, you are such a hypocrite. Calmly give us paragraphs defending murdering protesters, and now this? You're something special.

A Terrible Person fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 1, 2018

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Nameless_Steve posted:

I'm not crying. I would be annoyed if you hadn't given me a Pesach miracle: You have thoroughly proven your Anti-Zionism actually, truly is Antisemitism. Plot twist!

Oh my god, grow up you loving infant. I didn't have a loving thing to do with the new text or image. I just find it hilarious when a sociopath cries about their insensitivity coming back to bite them in the rear end.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

But keep grasping at straws you racist piece of poo poo. :allears:

Well now I feel like a loving moron, too.

S/he's still a racist sociopath, though.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
gently caress off, sociopath.

Better yet, re-read what Ytlaya posted and then get your racist rear end gone.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Kim Jong Il posted:

Reprehensible bullshit.

Wounding Gazans en masse during border protests simply because they're Palestinian and due to past fears is understandable, yet BDS is "collective punishment."

gently caress yourself, you goddamn monster. I mean, seriously, what the gently caress is wrong with you?

And don't bother quoting me and trying to make some evil argument, I want a simple answer: what problem do you have with your brain?

A Terrible Person fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Apr 13, 2018

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
I have no idea how anyone here can calmly debate KJI making the same morally reprehensible false equivalency arguments year after year. They're like CalmHitler.jpg personified.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Your Parents posted:

He's an insane fascist Nazi who thinks his race is the ubermenschen and everyone else are untermenschen who deserve to be killed and subjugated and treated like inhuman cattle. It's obvious and I'm tired of trying to humor actual Nazis because they have the excuse of well, it happened to us first, so we have the right to do it to others, or whatever the gently caress goes through his head that justifies his nazism.

Seriously. It's patently obvious from his rhetoric.

Also, it's seriously irking me how Israel has the Law of Return, Palestinians are subject to exercising their right to return, and the protests are literally called the "Great March of Return"... and yet the response is well-defended Israeli snipers picking off anyone who gets to close to a fence in Gazan territory, followed by Western news reporting on loving "clashes" and the US vetoing any and all UN condemnation. The whole situation is madness.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

pro starcraft loser posted:

Just start firing the products the rest of the world doesn't want to buy since you are assassinating journalists. I'm sure they do way less damage when hitting an unarmed group of people compared to a tank shell and the Gazans can use the ones that don't break!

Win - Win.

Hey, keep in mind that that "journalist" had access to a drone for his photography. How would someone from Gaza get a drone? Smuggling, that's how! And where does one smuggle? Through terror tunnels, which are only used to bring in weapons!

And what is a drone, anyway? An unmanned military aircraft capable of both stealth reconnaissance and lethal force projection!

...Seriously, though, the Israeli propaganda outlets tried to claim that Yaser Murtaja was a captain for Hamas (they deny it rather than claim him as a martyr), used his camera drones to "spy" on Israeli targets, and that he was shot while using his drone for reconnaissance. Never mind that he was wearing a flak jacket with PRESS clearly emblazoned on it, was using a camera rather than a drone at the time, and that the Israeli's crack snipers who knew where "every shot was landed with precision" nailed him in the armpit where his protection was weakest and therefore had to have seen his PRESS markings.

As far as the western media seems concerned, they all seem to have jumped on the party line that all of Gaza is Hamas, down to the last man, woman, child, pet, building, or piece of infrastructure and greenery. Bomb the schools, they're funded by Hamas. Bomb the roads, they were built by Hamas. Bomb the hospitals, some of the patients might be Hamas.

And my country funds these suckers, pays for their anti-piss-rocket-missiles, and blocks any sort of international condemnation or independent inquiry into obvious human rights violations and war crimes. gently caress; I am, in part, funding a slow genocide.

(Your post was great, and I'm sorry to piggyback off it with this maudlin bullshit)

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Thanks for sharing this. She really does.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Kim Jong Il posted:

No it can't, because no one's asking for the land the Romans ethnically cleansed them from. That's not my argument in the slightest. It's literally about land and home deeds.

Okay, I'm going to plead ignorance here because my knowledge of the IP situation is mostly based on the last century and the justification of a Jewish State seemed mostly based on real ongoing historical persecution of a religious minority coupled with ahistorical dogma, but... wasn't Rome's entire deal just to send in soldiers, administrators, and a handful of token settlers while each area they conquered was mostly peopled by natives?

Maybe the middle east was different, but I don't recall the Romans being known for depopulating the areas they invaded. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Then again, I've also read that the Palestinian people are the descendants of the Jewish folk who didn't leave, in any case. Again, I don't really know.

Of course, the entire point would be moot if the current Israeli populace actually had ancient scrolls analogous to home deeds, cause KJI would insist they were perfectly applicable as opposed to those terror keys the Palestinians symbolically hang onto as abject threats against Israelis, apparently.

A Terrible Person fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Apr 18, 2018

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
Seeing recent news from Israel, I'm thinking the US should start recruiting Palestinians for various sports franchises considering they can lob rocks and explosives 400+ yards. Just imagine what they could do with a baseball or football!

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

rscott posted:

https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/status/1394717086543486979?s=19
lol an Joe Biden can go get hosed with this patronizing bullshit

"Hyuck, hyuck; your family doesn't live in Gaza so your statements of concern are a lie.

"Also, I will refuse to mention Settler activity in the West Bank. All things are cool and normal right now, even ALL the warcrimes. Bombing Gaza is cool and good and I won't be attacking your family directly, so you should join us. Otherwise you're an anti-semite who's family should die."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I'm not dodging it. The answer is "any of the many other political groups that does operate or has operated in palestine" Hamas is not some inseparable thing inherent to palestine. It's a recent, regional takeover. It's not some "the only way" for palestine.

Haha, you mealy-mouthed oval office.

*Edit*

I will gladly take a a probe for rightfully calling you out as a disingenuous coward.

gently caress off

A Terrible Person fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 23, 2021