Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

FlamingLiberal posted:

Don’t they already do that?

It's a question of magnitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Not trying to suggest it isn't, just to drat ignorant to know, why are cameras a deterrent to voting? Like I sort of just assumed that Israel was a surveillance state already, is there targeted harassment of Arabs that they discover voting?

Suppose the Republican Party in the USA is handing out cameras to Klansmen so that they can install them in voting stations in Black districts.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

JesusIsTehCool posted:

I guess my question was more, given you live in state that does the above and my assumption (maybe incorrect) that the Israeli government is already a mass surveillance state then why would the cameras be an additional deterrent? Maybe I am giving the Israeli government too much to assume that they already know who is voting where in their country, but I figured at this point the Arabs in that country assumed they are being watched at all times. Then again I don't pretend to understand the psychological stress the Palestinian people are under, maybe the mere reminder that they are being watched is enough to deter.
There's a difference between surveillance by technically officially lawful authorities and surveillance by fascist militias.

It's not the cameras they're afraid of, it's the bloodthirsty fascist thugs who are placing the cameras.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Main Paineframe posted:

This means that they're denied various rights and privileges available only to religious citizens, since certain threads of civil law in Israel are administered by your state-recognized religious authorities. For example, as By popular demand alluded to, Israel puts marriage entirely in the hands of religious authorities, with no non-religious civil marriage option. You literally can't get married inside Israel without a signature from one of the official state-recognized religious authorites. Practically speaking, Conservative Jews can't marry in Israel, because the only official Jewish authority in Israel is the Orthodox Chief Rabbinate, which refuses to acknowledge them as Jews. Their only option would be to leave the country and get married overseas, since Israel recognizes foreign marriages (although it took a court case to force it to do that).

Convert to a different religion, get married by non-Jewish religious authorities, and then optionally convert back.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

quote:

Bechor went on to claim that liberal Zionists, including J Street, Peter Beinart, and Thomas Friedman, whose efforts seek to maintain liberal Jewish attachment to Israel, were "enemies" of the state, saying that "they are a bigger threat to us than Iran."

He's right about that, but not in the way he thinks.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Madkal posted:

Until Bibi comes out and says "Hitler was right" I am still going to say most Israelis aren't okay with Hitler.

Does it count if he said "Hitler was right until the filthy evil subhuman Palestinians gave him the idea of the Holocaust"? Because he said that.

icantfindaname posted:

Why does Israel hate Iran so much?

The other countries Israel hates (Iraq, Syria, Egypt, Jordan) have either been completely destroyed or mollified into subservience. Iran alone remains.

Anyways:
https://twitter.com/Charles1045/status/1127838884619063297

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
A penny confiscated and auctioned off is a penny earned:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/may/31/israel-to-auction-prefab-classrooms-donated-by-eu-to-palestinians

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Proponents of a settler-colonialist project turn to White Man's Burden argument to advocate ignoring self-determination for the natives. Are we back in the 19th century?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Is this next?

Jared Kushner, probably, posted:

.In this enlightened age, there are few I believe, but what will acknowledge, that colonialism as an institution is a moral & political evil in any Country. It is useless to expatiate on its disadvantages. I think it however a greater evil to the Zionist than to the Palestinian, & while my feelings are strongly interested in behalf of the latter, my sympathies are more strong for the former. The Palestinians are immeasurably better off here than in Jordan, morally, socially & physically. The painful discipline they are undergoing, is necessary for their instruction as a race, & I hope will prepare & lead them to better things. How long their subjugation may be necessary is Known & ordered by a wise & merciful Providence. While we see the Course of the end of occupation is onward, & we give it the aid of our prayers & all justifiable means in our power we must leave the progress as well as the result in his hands who Sees the end; who Chooses to work by slow influences ; & with whom two thousand years are but a single day. Although the BDS activist must Know this; & must see that he has neither the right or power of operating except by moral means & suasion, & if he means well to the Palestinian, he must not create angry feelings in the Israeli; that although he may not approve the mode by which it pleases Providence to accomplish its purposes, the result will nevertheless be the same: that the reasons he gives for interference in what he has no Concern, holds good for every Kind of interference with our neighbours when we disapprove their Conduct; Still I fear he will persevere in his evil Course.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

DarkCrawler posted:

There was always going to be only one state. As long as America was saying semi-sane it was going to take long but holy poo poo did we change that. Expect Full South Africa style apartheid in two decades max. I expect boycotting them to submission to take about the same.

None of that is going to happen because climate change and other forms of pollution is going to make the area literally unlivable before then.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Is there any party in Israel, with a vote share above 0.01%, whose platform includes the emancipation of the Palestinians?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I dunno about emancipation specifically, but they have the Joint Arab List

I thought it disbanded.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

I hope the fair-skinned, blue-eyed, blonde-haired girl did not associate with any of these shady hook-nosed men.

Perhaps Arabs should be forced to wear some identifying symbol on their clothing at all time to prevent any further unwholesome incident?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Is unemployment low in the occupied territories? Because that's an "adjustment variable" that most countries do not have.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Quick! If you're a parliamentary of any sort in any country, you've got just a few hours to vote official recognition of Palestine as a sovereign state!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
As long as nobody can form a government, Bibi remains in power. Either he wins, or he wins.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Looking forward to Knesset #23 in July 2020.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Main Paineframe posted:

Not quite. He's stepping down from his various cabinet positions, because Israeli law says that cabinet ministers facing criminal charges must resign. However, the law doesn't say the same for the PM spot, so he's holding onto the position of Prime Minister.

If this seems weird, remember that in addition to being Prime Minister, Bibi was also the Minister of Agriculture, Minister of Diaspora Affairs, Minister of Health, and Minister of Welfare. The guy hoarded titles of power like a Crusader Kings II junkie, parceling them out to others only when forced to.

What seems weird isn't Bibi's power-hoarding, it's that law saying "no criminals in the government unless they're the boss".

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I'm pretty sure Israel isn't the only place where getting indicted doesn't automatically make you a criminal in the legal sense.
Yeah, I'm shortcutting. It's just funny that something that causes a Minister to be unfit for office doesn't make a Prime Minister unfit for office.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Though I could be wrong. If Bernie becomes the next POTUS and some republican-controlled court indicts him over some madeup bullshit, does he have to step down?

For a POTUS, indiction is not legally possible as long as they aren't impeached first. Once impeached, then they can be indicted.

Which allows Republicans to parade Trump's lack of indiction as proof of his innocence and therefore why he shouldn't be impeached.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Lazy_Liberal posted:

Muslim countries got a lot of Christian churches?

Christianity as a religion historically originates in the Middle East. Countries like Jordan, Egypt, Syria, but also Bahrain have large Christian minorities, in the 8%-16% range. And Lebanon used to be a Christian majority country until not that long ago.

Muslim countries going all-in for religious persecution of Christians through both government-backed torture and terrorist-inflicted mass murder is a relatively recent phenomenon; Muslim countries used to love to have a lot of Christians and Jews around because they made them pay extra taxes.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

By popular demand posted:

Also doesn't Turkey actually have a good army? If the heads of the IDF decide to kick some country about I'm sure it'll be something much weaker.

At least on paper.

It has suffered from Erdogan purging it of all the officers who were deemed potentially dangerous (for example, by being competent and/or popular with the troops), so who knows how good it actually is now.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

yeah the We Had It Coming school of Likudnik thought is a fascinating study in cultural pathology. you can see how the chain of logic works. we must reforge ourselves as a people, casting out all of what made us weak and victimlike, including any inexplicable taboos against "committing genocide ourselves."

it's part of why you see Netanyahu's kids gleefully throwing around what anyone in the west would call antisemitic poo poo; they understand that the subject of those isn't ISRAELI jews. Israelis are a new people, to whom none of those old slurs apply. unlike those scum in the diaspora who have yet to bring themselves to the place where you've gotta sterilize the untermenschen to preserve Israeli purity.

It's Israeli Man vs Diaspora Boy.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Homestuck strikes again

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Lum_ posted:

by the way, in case you missed the awful "The Plan" movie, the cylon plan was... wait for it... "let's kill all the humans"

Isn't it funny how wherever humans create an actual artificial intelligence, or meet another intelligent species, the newcomer takes a two second look at humanity and decides the universe would be better off without it? Not that we can really blame them.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Absurd Alhazred posted:

They looked at past peace plans through a mirror, drunkly.

Edit: here's a.... string of words from Canada:

https://twitter.com/FP_Champagne/status/1222352843191046146

Translation: "this is a crock of poo poo but we are too spineless to oppose it, so we'll just issue some noncommittal platitudes"

Orange Devil posted:

EU put out a similarly worded mealy-mouthed statement. Some poo poo about carefully studying this and hoping it can be the first step in a restoration of the peace process or whatever. Basically poo poo that sounds good only to people who haven't the faintest clue of what is actually going on.

The same translation also applies. Canada and the EU are the USA's bitches and utterly unable to actually oppose it diplomatically in any meaningful way.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Also he's PM as long as elections don't manage to get an actual working coalition to replace him. So either he wins the elections and becomes his own successor, or he doesn't lose them as he keeps his office because he doesn't have a successor.

He could pretty much crown himself king at this point.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Miftan posted:

My entire Facebook is melting down because the bad guys won despite Blue White and Likud being identical parties except for bibi and the haredi parties. It is 100% "waaah I'm a Liberal and this affects me personally!"

"We wanted :decorum: Bibi to win, not 'saying the quiet parts out loud' Bibi!"

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

V. Illych L. posted:

tbf netanyahu is an Actual Criminal so it's not super great that he keeps getting elected

He keeps getting elected because he's an Actual Criminal.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Old bibs just made a video basically saying arab votes now don't count and that he got the Jewish majority.

He's not wrong, is he?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I kinda hope Bibi's lashing out will be enough to sink him completely and this law doesn't actually get called and passed. I can see a law like this being very easily abused, especially against new candidates who might not have the kind of protections Bibi had to getting arbitrarily indicted, conveniently just in time for an election.

I can see every single member of every party in the Joint List being indicted for support for terrorism.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I've pretty much stopped following Israel for my own sanity but wtf is anyone planning to do about the virus hitting the West Bank or Gaza?

Is it as bad as I knowthink it is?

The West Bank is already quarantined Wuhan-style as part of Israel's endeavor to slice it into tiny bantustans cut apart by apartheid walls. This is going to thwart any attempt at letting the epidemic kill a lot of Palestinians. Gaza is also completely locked out of the outside world, there's no way the disease can make its way there; but if it did anyway, there's no way anyone outside would notice.

Also don't forget the demographics. The disease is more dangerous to old people, while the young are more likely to be healthy carriers.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

So is “Palestinian activity” a legally classified version of Walking While Black, or is it there an actual crime with that name? I can’t decide if which option is less racist.

The version from jpost explains it a bit more:

quote:

Police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld told The Media Line that Adnan Ghaith's latest apprehension was over “Palestinian activity in Jerusalem.”
“He was arrested on suspicion of connection with Palestinians working around Jerusalem conducting illegal activity. It is not allowed in Jerusalem to hold activities connected to the Palestinian Authority.”

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Basically, it's only illegal if it acknowledges the existence of the Palestinians as human people entitled to the universal right of self-determination.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
so the short story is that israel's government is an unconstitutional alliance between a crook and a betrayer, right?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Relayer posted:

Oh I'm sorry, the point is that you have no spine and cannot possibly condemn homophobia if the perpetrators have the wrong color skin. I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I thought this dispute was about racism or something.

go preach queer tolerance in haredi communities; they don't have the excuse of being oppressed by a totalitarian racist state

"the palestinians deserve to be oppressed until 100% of them become perfect innocent doves who do not commit any crime and invent the cure for cancer instead; as long as they don't meet the standard i have set for them (and which i am not at all setting for israeli) then it's hypocritical to want their existence to be less lovely"

you can just go gently caress right off with that transparent bullshit

Relayer posted:

Are you painting with a broad brush when you say israel is an apartheid state?

it's painting with a brush so thin you need an electron microscope to see it

Relayer posted:

Is it too broad to say jews are an insanely tiny global minority?

whereas there are plenty of arabs so it's okay if the palestinians are oppressed, there are spare arabs elsewhere

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 22, 2020

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

FlamingLiberal posted:

The cruelty is the point

The point is to make sure that as many people as possible catch the disease because Israel is an unabashed genocidal power.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

-Blackadder- posted:

I don't follow I/P stuff much these days, what effects are people thinking the peace deals are going to have on the conflict and the Palestinians?

No change to the status quo, which is why Israel agrees to them.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Conspiratiorist posted:

They didn't have a permit.

Everyone is always bugging Israel about illegal settlements in the Jordan bank, so they take a very harsh stance on demolishing any and all illegal buildings there ASAP.

Of course, "illegal" is defined in Israel as "Palestinian-owned".

Speaking of:

https://eeas.europa.eu/headquarters...nt-expansion_en

quote:

The period from March to August 2020 also saw a spike in demolitions or confiscations of Palestinian-owned structures in the West Bank in spite of the COVID-19 pandemic.

See? They're ramping up their campaign of destroying every "illegal" (i.e., Palestinian-owned) building as much as they possibly can. What more can you ask of them?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Netanyahu will rule until his death, upon which he'll be successed by his son Yair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Drone_Fragger posted:

Impossible since Yair is dogged by rumours that his girlfriend isn’t actually Jewish, which in a first would country wouldnt even be news but in Israel is enough to make the rabbinate poo poo their collective pants with rage and threaten some kind of actions over it.

I'm sure he can smooth things over if he promises to oppress Palestinians even more.