Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Marenghi posted:

Ukraine is a free country with a professionally training military. There's a bit of a difference between that and a paramilitary force which was formed in an open air prison.

The IRA carried out bombings in their fight for Irish independence from Britain, that would have been considered war crimes if done by a nations army.
Can you point to any IRA action that caused anywhere near this level of harm to civilians? Even Omagh (which was to some degree an accident caused by failing to properly communicate the warning) was not anywhere near as bad as the atrocity that was just committed by Hamas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I wouldn't call the recent attack indiscriminate. They selected a civilian target and sought to murder as many people there as possible.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Weasling Weasel posted:

They didn't have sympathy, but they had apathy at least I guess. The Iceland band at Eurovision, the 'free Palestine' to the tune of sweet Caroline... that poo poo stops. It didn't have any meaningful benefit to the palestinian people, but the level of sympathy Israel will now have will allow them to do stuff ten times worse than before and without any journalistic critiscm. It's like post 9-11 redux, it'll be like Afghanistan and Islamophobia like the early 2000s again. Hope all those twenty year olds they shot and raped were worth it for the cause.
Yeah. The sympathy may not have been enough to free Palestine but Hamas establishing themselves as an ISIS-level pariah worldwide will lead to far, far worse consequences.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Some people may not have been posting for a long time but I personally have posts going back to 2015 relating to major events and have been on the pro-Palestine side of every argument. Until today.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Israel has never given a gently caress about civilians and they have just been handed the perfect justification to destroy Hamas at all costs. There will not be a single building left standing in Gaza.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Stringent posted:

Sinn Fein as well.
The IRA's tactics were not even remotely comparable to what Hamas did.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

They were eminently comparable, though not equivalent
The IRA accidentally killing 28 people at Omagh (making it the most deadly attack in the conflict) was such a bad fuckup that it effectively marked the end of their campaign. Hamas very deliberately gunned down 10 times that many young people at the music festival alone.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

This is such a ridiculous reductive and factually inaccurate summation of the whole political milieu at that time. I was an Irish teenager at the time, I remember Omagh distinctly. I also remember that it wasn't even a Provo attack, and it occurred post -GFA. And though it was the single deadliest Republican attack (note: the Dublin and Monaghan bombings were more individually deadly from the UVF), and there was universal condemnation, it didn't shape the peace process anywhere like earlier incidents e.g. the Docklands, Manchester, and Warrington.

Please just don't bother making comparisons if you don't have the context.
That is all good context, but does any of it challenge my core argument that the recent Hamas atrocity was an order of magnitude worse than the most deadly Irish Republican attack, even if we ignore the very clear difference in intentionality between the two? Doesn't the IRA example demonstrate that it's possible to resist an occupation, even violently, without descending to this level of inhuman brutality?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah. Hamas just gave the IDF the perfect justification for wiping Gaza off the face of the earth and I have no doubt they will make use of it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Stringent posted:

I mean, call a spade a spade. They're going to attempt genocide.
Absolutely. Although I see no reason to think that they won't succeed.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't think the idea that this was somehow unintended tracks with Hamas proudly parading the stripped corpses of their victims around on social media.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the sheer brutality, the mass and conscious targeting of civilians and the complete lack of any possible argument to justify the attack also make it stand out compared to airstrikes and rocket attacks.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Stringent posted:

As far as figures from actual news sources go it seems the brunt of Hamas's attack was against military units. They've captured several highly ranked members of the IDF.
If they were able to achieve military objectives it only highlights how unnecessary their attack on the rave was. It was a crime against humanity that Hamas perpetrated entirely by choice.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The idea that you can brutalize a purely civilian gathering as long as you also separately attacked at least one military installation is loving deranged anyway.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

FlapYoJacks posted:

The most infuriating part is that the rave is the headline, not the systematic genocide and constant war crimes/crimes against humanity/outright genocide lust from Israel in response.
Yes, it was a mistake for Hamas to commit an act of such sickening evil that it would inevitably dominate the news over any Israeli response.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

We are on day 3 of the D&D candlelight vigil over the rave, which has completely consumed talking about anything else.
That tends to happen when you commit such a wanton act of slaughter. I don't think that will change imminently either because more and more details are going to come out about the abuses visited upon the captives.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Hamas are not 'providing opposition' to anyone's genocidal aims. Rather, by revelling in cruelty against civilians they have handed Israel's government the perfect justification to wipe out Gaza. How exactly is Hamas going to stop the IDF from levelling every building in the strip or starving the entire population with its blockade?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Aramis posted:

The objective is not to forcibly prevent the genocide, but rather to make the genocide more trouble than it's worth.

edit: This is assuming a very charitable interpretation of Hamas' intent, I'm just replying to OP's specific question.
Would you say that Israel's response so far suggests that they now think genocide would be 'more trouble than its worth'?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Asking 'what else could Hamas have done' is insane to me because they demonstrated they could do a whole bunch of other things last weekend! They decisively breached containment, overran some IDF positions and were able to capture senior IDF officers. If they had done that without also committing some of the worst atrocities against civilians of the 21st century that would've put Israel in a very difficult situation - Bibi would still have been humiliated by a catastrophic failure, and his government would have to negotiate for the release of the prisoners. But as-is all domestic and international opposition to razing Gaza to the ground has evaporated, and Hamas will be wiped out along with any civilians who are unable to flee (currently this is looking to be 'all of them').

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

No-one has been convicted in a court of law but there are several videos of stripped and brutalised female victims that strongly suggest it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

According to AJ, Hamas was surprised about how big the backlash was to their initial attack and is trying to do damage control and break the perception that they are indiscriminately targeting civilians. They are concerned that the backlash may have galvanized people to send more aid to Israel and given Israel permission to go even farther in its retaliation.
I thought maybe Hamas was deliberately trying to turn the entire strip into martyrs but no, turns out they're just collectively one of the stupidest organisations that has ever existed

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The two videos that strongly suggest sexual assault are the one of a woman with a bleeding crotch being taken out of a van in Gaza, and the one with Shani Louk (dead? unconscious?) being paraded naked around Gaza. Neither is definitive proof of rape but both are extremely strong evidence that will almost certainly be corroborated soon.

It also seems extremely unlikely that this isn't part of a wider trend given that we have two separate videos.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 10, 2023

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Hamas certainly killed a bunch of children, and beheaded some victims, but it doesn't seem like there's any source specifically confirming an intersection of the two.

e: gotta say though correcting the record about the exact method used to kill babies does not seem like it will win many people over

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 11, 2023

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I do not think that attempting to downplay, deny or quibble over the details of Hamas' atrocities is going to be an effective strategy. Nobody who read the baby beheading story is going to change their mind if they're told that Hamas actually prefers to shoot babies. Nobody is going to be convinced that Shani Louk was paraded around unconscious in her underwear for perfectly innocent reasons. And no matter how bad things have been in Gaza nobody is going to forgive the perpetrators of these horrible crimes.

If you want to have any rhetorical impact whatsoever, you should acknowledge that Hamas have committed irredeemable crimes, but that the vast majority of Gazans or Palestinians were not involved. No matter how awful what Hamas did was it does not justify the wholesale slaughter of everyone in Gaza. Focus on the innocent people who are suffering entirely unfairly, not the guilty.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Hamas posted many of the videos that are being used as evidence on social media. If "the west" is lying then Hamas would have to be collaborating with them.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

None of the people who keep making these comparisons to the ANC and IRA cannot point to a single incident that had even one-tenth of the civilian casualties that the October 7th attack had, nor which contained anything like the sheer level wanton and gleeful cruelty against civilians with absolutely no relation to the entity they were fighting. There's a reason those resistance movements achieved some degree of success, while Hamas is about to be obliterated along with a substantial portion of the populace it claims to represent.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

You're focused on this hobby horse, even though I've previously pointed out that there are much larger structural differences between the NI conflict and I/P.

Fair enough, everyone needs to have their pet theory, but I think yours is an extremely poor one for explaining the current situation.

And again "the people making these comparisons to the IRA" are often members of Sinn Féin
They certainly used to make those comparisons. You previously gave me the example of Mary Lou McDonald.
https://www.irishtimes.com/world/mi...truly-horrific/

quote:

In the most critical comments made by a Sinn Féin leader to date on a Palestinian organisation – and in what has been received as a change in position by the party leadership – Ms McDonald said she understood perfectly the trauma experienced by victims and relatives of the Hamas attack.

“The targeting of civilians and the taking of hostages is to be condemned outright,” she said on RTÉ Radio’s The News at 1. “Looking at scenes where a lot of young people were out, enjoying themselves and, to me it was such a violent and traumatic death, it is just truly horrific, and I understand perfectly the sense of trauma that’s been expressed.”
She does also go on to criticise Israel, but she is unequivocal in her condemnation of Hamas' actions. Hamas has alienated even people who were firmly on their side.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Oct 11, 2023

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Suggesting the October 7th attack was 'good for the cause' or that 'might makes right' is an idiotic line to take in any case because Israel is much, much more powerful than Hamas! They have the ability and inclination to destroy every building in Gaza and flood all the shelters with tear gas! Any opposition to them doing this will be drowned out by the ongoing revelations of Hamas' atrocities! This was a really loving bad idea even if you ignore the ethics of mass murdering children!

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Oct 11, 2023

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Angry Salami posted:

A question: Is Israel making any effort to ensure the return of the hostages, or have they just written them off as casualties of war? The indiscriminate bombings seem risky if Hamas still has hundreds of hostages, but I can't imagine the Israeli public would take it in stride that their government has already given up on getting the captives free.
This is a good question. Qatar held talks about a possible prisoner swap on Monday, but there's no reports that they went anywhere. My impression is that Israel are keeping very quiet on the topic, and that the statements they have put out are pretty vague but do not suggest they are willing to negotiate.
https://www.ft.com/content/b3e95dd8-7fe4-4ff4-895d-bbdc098f09fc

quote:

Israel’s military and civilian leaders have not disclosed what they know about the location of the latest hostages or any plan to try to keep them safe, much less extract them at a time when Israel is bombarding Gaza from air, sea and artillery ahead of a potential ground assault.

Major Nir Dinar, a spokesperson for Israel’s defence forces, said on Tuesday: “When you face this kind of situation, there are two options. First, you put enough pressure on the terrorist organisations to [return] kidnapped people. Second, you bring them back by force.

“Now in most days, I would recommend the first option. But after seeing what I saw, in the Israeli civilian communities in southern Israel, the way that bodies were treated, I don’t think we have someone to speak to.” Hamas said on Tuesday it would not negotiate for a prisoner swap while under fire.
To me it seems like a strong possibility that they have quietly written off any chance of freeing the captives - they would rather let them all die than allow any element of Hamas to survive. Obviously they're not going to announce that publicly though, it would be an unpopular move.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 11, 2023

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Lord Harbor posted:

Has Israel made any demands yet? When the US decides to invade or attack some random country, they'll usually at least create a pretext where they make some demand (Afghanistan must hand over Bin Laden, Iraq must open up to weapon inspectors), and then when it's refused (or not) they use it as a causus beli for the invasion. Has Israel made any statements about what they want from Palestine, or are they just dropping any pretense that the bombings aren't the point?
Other than the hostage demand mentioned above the stated goal is to kill every member of Hamas.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-67082351

quote:

Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said every Hamas member was "a dead man" after the first meeting of his country's emergency government.
I haven't seen anything suggesting that they're prepared to accept negotiation or surrender. They are apocalyptically angry and want revenge.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I maintain that Hamas had already hit on a good strategy that they had the power to repeat to a much greater degree here - capturing soldiers. Creating another hostage crisis would've been a very effective strategy if they hadn't also performed atrocities so unspeakably horrible that almost everyone in Israel now wants nothing more than to see every member of Hamas (and in many cases, the Gazans they see as collectively responsible) perish in agony. And also alienated many international voices who would've otherwise spoken out against excessive Israeli reprisals. And also made it much, much harder for anyone still on Gaza's side to argue that Israel's response is wildly disproportionate.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Kagrenak posted:

I think Irony be my Shield meant it lessens the rhetorical and persuasive position of those condemning Israeli atrocities against Gaza. Which I think is unfortunately and fairly clearly true if one takes a brief look at the state of public discussion. Morally and ethically I agree with you that it changes nothing about Israel's conduct.
Yeah that's exactly right. I fully agree that Israel is doing terrible things but it takes effort to debunk their defence that they're bombing Hamas members and any civilian casualties were being used as human shields. No such effort is needed to demonstrate that the massacres Hamas carried out were reprehensible.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Victar posted:

The blog post "But not like this - On living and dying with ghosts" by Sam Kriss has been posted in this thread. I'm reposting the link because it is a direct, well-spoken, and comprehensive rebuttal to the implication that violence against civilians is acceptable. I am interpreting Nix Panicus' phrases "justifies any and all violence that prisoners inflict upon their captors" and "the nation of Israel should be destroyed" to mean "violence against civilians is acceptable". I don't see any other way to interpret those claims.

https://samkriss.substack.com/p/but-not-like-this

I urge everyone in this thread who has not read Sam Kriss' blog post to please consider reading it. You may want to skim or skip over the first part, which talks about the World War II Holocaust in Poland followed by the expulsion of the Germans. The second part of the blog post talks about I/P current events and the online discourse about them.

I'll post some bullet points from the blog down below, focusing on the blog's major arguments against the murder of civilians. I think this blog communicates what I want to say more effectively than any words I try to put together could.
Yeah I think this article makes a critical point. Any time you argue that all Israelis (and tourists and Thai guest workers I guess) are collectively responsible for their nation's transgressions and that targeting civilians for revenge is acceptable you're arguing in favour of Israel's current campaign in Gaza, which is justified by the same logic. "My side is allowed to do collective punishment but yours isn't" is not an effective argument.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I mean, Hamas can hardly be blamed as the only one to conflate civilian and combatant.
To me that's why it's super important never to try to excuse or justify what Hamas did - doing so implicitly justifies Israel's retaliatory attack on Gaza. It was bad when Hamas did it and we should not accept a nation state doing the same thing, especially when that state is receiving so much aid from western countries.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Ultimately it's beneficial to Israel if the debate stays on the particulars of the Hamas attack (as opposed to the ongoing slaughter in Gaza), and generating confusion around shocking but not particularly relevant details is a good way to do that.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Presumably you can access Israeli or Egyptian networks if you're near the border of Gaza?
e: yeah the article posted above says you can at least in some places.

quote:

Palestinian internet providers can only offer 2G network services, which is much more sluggish than 3G and also more vulnerable to security attacks due to weak encryption. A previous UN report indicated some Gaza residents living near the Israeli border could access 3G and 4G networks from Israeli operators, although the current situation is unclear.
I suppose Israel could shut down nearby 3G/4G coverage if they really wanted to remove all connections.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 15, 2023

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I can definitely believe someone in the IDF told Hersh that they can defeat Hamas easily and without a costly ground invasion (so they might as well surrender now). I don't believe that's actually true, however.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Typo posted:

Not so sure about that one chief

Yeah the October 7th attack enormously swung opinion in favour of Israel, it will likely still be a while before we're even back to what it was before. See also UK polling:
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/trackers/sympathies-for-the-israelis-palestinian-conflict
July - Palestinian sympathy polling at 24%, Israelis at 10%.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/survey-results/daily/2023/10/16/b8bd3/1
Today - Palestinians polling at 17%, Israelis at 21%.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Comstar posted:

Israel is putting in the troops for a surface attack. It's taking them a long time to do it, presumably because

a- They had put most of their units elsewhere.
b- They are going to use conscripts/reservists , which take a long time to re-train.
c- They had no actual plan to do it this big.

Why yes, this DOES sound like a 3 Days to Kyiv scenario, though time they have air supremacy. But they are going into destroyed city ruins, which is the best terrain imaginable for light infantry defence.
I'd be wary of automatically assuming this will go the same way as the Ukraine conflict. Asides from air supremacy as mentioned there's also a lot of other advantages Israel enjoys that Russia doesn't. Consider Russia spending months and millions of dollars worth of cruise missiles to cause some power outages in Kyiv vs Israel flipping a switch and plunging Gaza into permanent darkness (with no water to boot) within a couple of days. Gaza is heavily dependent on its enemy in a way you really don't want to be during a war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

Typically it means a full-scale ground invasion goes in and occupies the areas near the border, sends some raids deeper into Gaza to capture or kill some militants, destroys a bunch of infrastructure they claim was being used by Hamas, maybe wipes out a neighborhood or two just for the hell of it, and then unilaterally declares victory and pulls out before they take too many casualties. The whole thing usually lasts about two weeks.
While that has been the previous pattern I'd note that Hamas' attack was orders of magnitude more serious than anything they've done before, and Israel's response has correspondingly been a lot more extreme so far. Nothing I've seen so far suggests Israel will be satisfied with "mowing the grass" (as opposed to say "burning the lawn to the ground and salting the earth") this time.