Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Effectronica posted:

Memes like "LF refugee" are banned in this thread.

says who

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Effectronica posted:

Me, the author of this thread.

you're not a mod, you're a super terrible poster who's been run out of several threads though ??????

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
jokes on you, im actually very good looking.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
This is a good article about life in the Shuafat camp.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/01/magazine/we-are-orphans-here.html

quote:

Adel kept making reference to his 9-year-old daughter, who is physically disabled and cannot attend school. I asked to meet her or Adel asked if I wanted to meet her. Either way we ended up in Adel’s large apartment, and his daughter Mira was wheeled out to the living room. Mira was burned over most of her body and is missing part of one arm and a kneecap. Her face and scalp are disfigured. A school bus filled with children from the Shuafat camp were on a trip to Ramallah when their bus collided with a truck on wet roads. The bus overturned and burst into flames. Five children and a teacher burned to death. Dozens were injured. Emergency services were delayed by confusion over who had jurisdiction. As a result, Mira and other children had to be taken in the cars of bystanders to the closest hospital. The accident took place between the Adam settlement and Qalandiya checkpoints, in what is called Area C of the West Bank, which is entirely under Israeli control. The likelihood of something like this occurring was well known. Later, a report from Ir Amim, an Israeli human rights group, established that the tragedy resulted from the multiple challenges of living beyond the separation barrier. Roads were substandard. There were too many children on the bus, the children had no access to education in their own communities and there was no oversight.

Mira, who had been transferred from her wheelchair to the couch, sat and fidgeted. She understood no English but was forced to quietly pretend she was listening. I kept smiling at her, and she smiled back. I was desperate to give her something, to promise something. It’s very difficult to see a child who has suffered so tremendously. It’s basically unbearable. I should give her the ring I was wearing, I thought. But then I saw that it would never fit her fingers, which were very swollen and large, despite her young age; her development, after the fire, was thwarted because her bones could not properly grow. I’ll give her my earrings, was my next idea, and then I realized that her ears had been burned off in the fire. I felt obscene.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Dead Reckoning posted:

:cripes: It can't be both, guys.

My God, people disagree on this?! What is the world coming to.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm hearing that a criminal investigation has been opened against Bibi in Israel? Is this still about the German U boats?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Kim Jong Il posted:

BDS, for instance, has a central tenet of relitigating 1948.

I don't see that on their website. Link?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Kim Jong Il posted:

It's in their initial declaration of principles.
Advocating for the Right of Return is not the same thing as "relitigating 1948"

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Sinteres posted:

They still seem to be there. I think it helps Israel that their critics so frequently resort to hyperbole which can be easily dismissed by everyone who doesn't already share their viewpoint.

... there are still native americans. less than 10% of gazans have access to drinkable water, one in three is starving. medical care is nearly non-existent, PTSD is rampant. i think it helps israel much more that their fragile little feelings are constantly being coddled.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Kim Jong Il posted:

It's not at all central to the argument I was making (which is that a significant portion of anti-Zionists are in fact much more focused on one state and the right of return than settlements), but sure. The results of 1948 were a fully distinct separation of two entities. Any attempt then to institute one state is contrary to the status quo since then that has served as the basis for the international consensus for a two state solution. Would you argue that Palestinians are being compelled to negotiate under duress? Because arguing that Israel, as currently constituted, has to cease to exist surely is a similar threat regardless of whether or not you agree with the outcome. If you read Mondoweiss or anything similar, this is precisely what they argue - their position is Zionism and Israel must cease to exist.

The Right of Return is a human right that has nothing to do with 1948. Israel doesn't change if some Palestinians move back, any more than it changes if some people die and others are born. The Right of Return doesn't impact the statehood of Israel at all.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Yardbomb posted:

Thank you friend, but in reality I do legitimately hope he gets butthole cancer or something equally awful for being a monster, getting little pats on the back and cheerleading from similarly monstrous people.

go be edgy somewhere else

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

corn in the bible posted:

Just admit you want the brownskins to get murdered with no recourse

I don't think DR hates brown people, he's just, in the truest definition of the term, an authoritarian bootlicker.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

The Insect Court posted:

The admins decided to go with the Two State(s of Opinion Regarding the I/P Question) Solution :smugdog:

Aren't you still banned from posting here :raise:

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
why are people responding to hakimashou, they're transparently trolling in every thread they post in.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
edit: whoops, wrong thread, sorry

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

GaussianCopula posted:

So, just that I understand this, there is no birthright for Israelis, Germans, Poles (or any other displaced people after several wars) but for the Palestinians there is because ~reasons~?

People need to realize that it's 2017 and not 1948, which means certain realities need to be accepted.

yeah i'm just gonna need you to actually read up on poo poo before you talk

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_of_return

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Kim Jong Il posted:

Where have I lied?

It's literally reactionary because they want to press a magic button and turn the clock back to 1947. It's reactionary because it's a right-wing, ethnonationalist movement devoted to endless, perpetual war regardless of its "progressive" trappings.

:psyduck:

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Preen Dog posted:

Morally superior position is wanting the least-cost highest-value outcome as soon as possible regardless of the distribution of sorrows. It's not like anyone has a horse in this race, and even if you do, you should bet on the fastest one.

If you favor a tribe like in a football match, then you are a bad.

i feel like i should cut this out and use it as a case study in an ethics class. :psyduck:

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

that's a years old video from bahrain

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Nameless_Steve posted:

I didn't say it was, although it certainly is a term that has become a favorite of Holocaust deniers for their purposes, and they're delighted by the fact that a Jew coined it. They love them some tokenization.
The "profiteering from the memory of the Holocaust" is the mountains of books that have been written about the subject.
Books. The "industry" is books.
It isn't about selling merchandise. This isn't Star Wars, there are no limited edition holocaust action figures to sell.
Holocaust deniers love that they can attribute the large body of work documenting the Holocaust to an "industry" perpetuated by greedy Jews looking for some coin and undeserved sympathy.

finkelstein's argument is about political concessions and financial gain through e.g. reparations payments that went to people who should not have been eligible, to the detriment of actual survivors. it's not about book sales.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Nameless_Steve posted:

How is that any better?

better than what? :confused: i wasn't implying anything, i was correcting your misunderstanding of the term.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
seinfeld is a pedo?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
yeah that's gross as hell. thanks, didn't know that.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Kim Jong Il posted:

BDS in its academic and cultural boycott seeks to in practice punish people who have nothing to do with Israeli policies. This isn't "Netanyahu ordered war crimes, let's try him in The Hague", whatever the merits are of that. This is let's target on the basis of nationality. That's immoral, and why the mere existence of BDS sucks up so much oxygen that it crowds out discussion on what's actually occurring beyond the Green Line, making actual peace that much further away.

lol no it's not? :shrug:

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
guys you can't protest apartheid south africa based on nationality, that's immoral!!! -a dumbass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
gaza under attack right now

https://twitter.com/palinoia/status/1020381637538975752